• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Make new GBA cases for your games

Snackbar-games.com is host to a GBA covers project... making inserts for DS cases so your GBA games collection can look as awesome as your DS one, along side it.

http://www.snackbar-games.com/gbacovers.php

You can get blank cases at Nintendo's online store here:
http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wc...694&lastAction=ProductDisplay&orderTotal=null

For those in the UK / Europe, I'll be phoning codestorm house to see if they do 'replacement' cases myself tomorrow.

Here's some pictures of peoples' transformed collections:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

If you find any high res cover art for GBA games, please consider helping those guys out. I know I will.

Thom

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Biglesworth23 said:
Damn that is pretty cool. If I had a ton of money, I'd blow some money on this.

It's not like the DS cases are expensive, Nintendo sells them for as cheap as 10 for $7 US.

M3wThr33

Banned
When bought it bulk, they're less than a buck a piece. When I move into my new apartent, I just might do this. Actually, would the service centers sell them?

Fuzzy said:
It's not like the DS cases are expensive, Nintendo sells them for as cheap as 10 for $7 US.

Yeah, I figured that it doesn't cost TOO much, but.. I have a wedding coming up in a few months, moving into an apartment in a few months, college, etc. I'm just saying that if I did have a bunch of money to just blow on whatever I wanted to, this would fall in that category somewhere.. :D

I was thinking of doing this a few months ago but decided I had better things to waste my time on (homework, passing my classes so I don't have to pay the gov. back for tuition) than this. Good to see someone else had the same idea, and are doing so well too. Very cool stuff.

RevenantKioku said:
How do GB/C games fit though?

Some people have resorted to cutting the DS cases like this:
warioquadrilogyinside1ff.gif

Using what, I don't know.

Others at the snackbar-games forum have said no cutting is necessary. They squeeze in but make the box bulge slightly.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
BTW, is this the same site I saw about a month ago or is there another site that's doing the exact same thing?

This reminds me of the rumor that was going around before the introduction of the DS, saying that Nintendo was contemplating switching over to this style of box for GBA titles. Wish they had. :(

Scans are 300dpi so the resolution works out at about 10.8"x4.57". If you were printing through Photoshop or another similar program, you should be able to print full size without a problem.

You're either going to need a printer capable of printing close to the edges or off the page if needs be, or paper long enough to accomodate. A4 is about 8.3" x 11.7". Depending on your printer, and what you have available you could get glossy paper... but apparently people have had some trouble with glossies being too thick.

You could always take it to a printers.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
This idea is neat, but I'd have nowhere to store all those games if I were to do something like this.

I'm definitely going to do this the first chance I can get, the only problem is I don't have the original boxes for some of my games. It would actually be pretty nice if there was some way to obtain them, but ah well. Very cool though.

Baron

I was really interested in doing this for my GBA games until I tried printing out some of the covers they had archived (or was it another site? cannot tell). I printed a few out on a really high-end laser color printer at my work (Xerox Phaser 7300 FYI) and discovered that the quality of the scans is dubious at best. Too bad, but unless you want to take the time to get a real high-end scanner and do it yourself, it's not worth the time.

Tabris

That's an amazing idea! The GBA games look so out of place in my collection.

I don't own a NDS and haven't looked into the cases when playing my friends. Is there a spot for GBA games?

rareside

Tabris said:
That's an amazing idea! The GBA games look so out of place in my collection.

I don't own a NDS and haven't looked into the cases when playing my friends. Is there a spot for GBA games?

Yes, there is a space for one GBA game and one DS game in each DS case.

You can make it out in the picture above with the GBC game.. Because the GBC carts were bigger, they had to cut out some of the DS cart casing.

Tabris

I'm totally ordering 25 DS cases right now.

...wait, maybe I'll print one out and borrow a friend's ds case before I order them.

Tabris

Well since it was only 25 CDN with shipping (5 CDN), I ordered the 25 DS cases.

If it ends up not working out, anyone want to buy them off me for 15 CDN?

Tabris

Nice thing is since I live in vancouver, any orders from nintendo take 1 day for delivery since they're in Richmond (about 20 minute drive away)

So I got my DS cases. Now I'm going to kinkos. I'll take pictures once I'm done. Before and After.

Cool idea. Quality of the scans seems to vary greatly, though. The "Game Boy Advance" bit looks super clear, while the rest... not so much. If I don't forget about this place soon, I'll have to try to get them a better Final Fantasy Tactics Advance at least.

Soul4ger

This is really cool, but there's no way I'm ordering that many cases, and there's no way I'm throwing out my GBA boxes. It'll just create more clutter, which is the last thing I need at this point. They look really, really nice like that, though...

Top Bottom