• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Component Video out on GCN's now even US or what if less than 1% use it, then no?

Alcibiades

http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wc...94&categoryId=44009&lastAction=ProductDisplay

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/nintendogamecube/component_faq.jsp

Nintendo GameCube Component Video Questions

The Digital A/V Output port was removed from systems produced after May, 2004 (these systems will have a model number of DOL-101). If you have a Nintendo GameCube without this port, and you wish to play your games in progressive scan, please call our Consumer Service department at 1-800-255-3700, to discuss available options.

Additional Information:

Why have you removed the component video feature from the Nintendo GameCube?
On newer models of the Nintendo GameCube, we opted to remove the digital A/V out port from the system because we found that less than one percent of all Nintendo GameCube players used this feature.

Will future Nintendo GameCube games continue to have the progressive scan feature?
About one-third of licensee-published titles and over 90% of Nintendo-published titles currently have the progressive scan feature. We expect that most Nintendo-published titles will continue to support progressive scan. Each licensee will continue to make the decision of whether or not to include this feature in their future games.

I thought this was only in Japan...

Just out of curiousity, I wonder what those "other available options" are...

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
nintendo will probably offer to swap a refurbished old model gamecube for a component-challenged new model gamecube.

and perhaps more than 1% of gamecube owners would use component cables if they were actually in stores.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
The thread title's english is a bit off, oh well.

They have to cut somewhere, apparantly progressive scan wasn't that big of an option (limiting the cables to online only and through one provider really helped that). It's a good heads up however to pick up a GameCube that doesn't have DOL 101 if you want progressive.

cvxfreak

Removing the port will probably save Nintendo $10USD per GameCube or so. It'll help soften the blow of the loss Nintendo is experiencing.

BTW do the Metroid bundles feature port-less GameCube systems?

golem said:
trade in for an older cube?

jeez was that port really costing that much money...

Well you have to remember it's multiplied by every system they produce. They'll probably produce a few million more systems before all is said and done. So even a very tiny amount in savings can add up, and when you weigh that against how limited the use is, it probably didn't take a whole lot to convince them to cut it out.

cvxfreak

Nintendo also locked the faceplate so it cannot be removed, although I'm not sure why. I guess the faceplate is replaced by paint or such. I suppose Nintendo saves itself a buck or two.

drohne said:
and perhaps more than 1% of gamecube owners would use component cables if they were actually in stores.

This can't be said enough. It's bad enough that you can't buy the cable in stores and no 3rd party options are allowed, but the online option depends on the specific country (for example, only phone orders work in Canada).

That's why I find Reggie's 'blackberry' comments kind of humorous - why tout ease of use when decent video cables are harder to find than an N64DD?

cvxfreak

But if Nintendo makes too many cables and hardly sells any of them, then they're at a permanent loss. I suppose there's no win-win situation, but if anyone burns their money on an expensive TV, they probably are smart enough to give Nintendo a call.

aoi tsuki

Thing is, they'll hardly ever sell any of them if a)they've never been available in stores and b)they're removing component support from the GC.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I just hope my Cube does not break...

On a side note, has Nintendo ever considered the reason why only 1% of GC users take advantage of that port? Perhaps it has to do with the fact that you can ONLY buy the component cable from Nintendo over the internet. If it was sold at retail outlets, I'm sure many more people would use it...

Mareg

I'm running to store tonight buying my second GameCube with the component output. This is a huge selling point for me and I wouldn't want my cable to sit idle. Beside, I bought mine on the phone being Canadian and that sucked... particularly when the clerk at the phone asked me stupid question to see if my tvset was capable of producing progressive scan images !

ge-man

I don't know what the deal is with the component cables. I remember reading the comments of someone who talked to a monster cable representative who said at one point that they were considering making a cable but decided against it. I'm under the impression that there wasn't a whole lot stopping 3rd parties from offering their own options, but even then GC owners got screwed.

Maybe I should send and email and see what the real deal is behind the component cable issue.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
as i recall, the gamecube component cable isn't just a cable: there's some encoding or decoding chip in there as well. i'm sure someone else could give you a better answer.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Well, it's certainly not as easy as slapping a system connector on a piece of wire. Nothing wrong with the idea though. It potentially allowed for even better cables and also allowed for the RGB mods that you can buy or do yourself.

That said I do agree it is stupid to not sell the cables in stores. Keep in mind though that component cables are sold in retail outlets in Japan and yet only a small fraction of GC owners are taking advantage of the progressive scan feature. Not that I think it justifies removing the digital out.

Shompola

Banned
The idea is pretty dumb. They could have had a true RBG output and component output on the DAC that feeds out s-video and composite. That cable was an after thought, and a dumb one too.

ge-man

Thanks cybamerc. It's a damn shame really--I've found the GC's progressive output to be very good. It's a shame that more people will blocked from using the feature.

Vark

"The idea is pretty dumb. They could have had a true RBG output and component output on the DAC that feeds out s-video and composite. That cable was an after thought, and a dumb one too. "

Well part of the reason they did that was another cost cutting thing. That way only people that needed progressive ended up paying for it. All the little shit starts to add up when you're trying to launch at 200 bucks.

dark10x

ge-man said:
Thanks cybamerc. It's a damn shame really--I've found the GC's progressive output to be very good. It's a shame that more people will blocked from using the feature.

Yeah, the GC has incredible progressive scan output. I find it to be the best of the three current consoles in this regard...

DCX

DCX
Nintendo always seems behind the times don't they? No CD support until, no digital audio, now they think progressive scan isn't worth thier time...online play isn't the future...man, i like the tag line of GMC vehicles " It's not more than you need, just more than you're used to "

DCX

ge-man

Marconelly--Everything I've read suggests that no further modifications are being made outside of moving the digital port. Some speculated that they would be combining the ports or something like that, but that's been shot down because it certainly makes no sense to do something like that now when it could've been done all along.

Mashing

Wait a minute, they are removing the component port, but they are still going to make progressive scan enabled games? How can you have progressive output without component cables? Is that even possible?

Shompola

Banned
they'll probably do the same with Revolution. First version will have network chip, second version will have it removed, thirs version will have dvd video playback removed and so on.

crumbs

"Wait a minute, they are removing the component port, but they are still going to make progressive scan enabled games? How can you have progressive output without component cables? Is that even possible?"

Millions of existing GC still have the digital video out and can take advantage of the new games with prog scan.

dark10x

Mashing said:
Wait a minute, they are removing the component port, but they are still going to make progressive scan enabled games? How can you have progressive output without component cables? Is that even possible?

It isn't possible and they know that. They are only going to continue supporting prog-scan for those that already have the cable and a supported display type.

AirBrian

Mashing said:
Nintendo said:
If you have a Nintendo GameCube without this port, and you wish to play your games in progressive scan, please call our Consumer Service department at 1-800-255-3700, to discuss available options.
Nintendo will get you one.

Deg

Banned
drohne said:
as i recall, the gamecube component cable isn't just a cable: there's some encoding or decoding chip in there as well. i'm sure someone else could give you a better answer.

Yeah DAC = Digital to analogue converter. Nintendo overestimated by going digital output for video. Its much superior but much more expensive! Also i dont think stuff like HDMI even existed when GC came out. Component leads really shouldnt have been using the digital AV port but had digital video connections got more popular than it has it would have been a brilliant decision and justified. Sadly people using digital video outputs and cables are very very rare. Let alone the fact that people just know alot less about Digital video than audio.

Right now digital audio tech is far ahead of digital video tech(hello at least 5 speakers in living room :p ). Its about time video starts to catch up but its happening too slowly. People who have tried progressive scan on a digital cable like HDMI will absolutely love it. Its just much better than using component leads which are also analogue.

dark10x said:
Yeah, the GC has incredible progressive scan output. I find it to be the best of the three current consoles in this regard...

Yeah. I wish the Digital port was used more as its just superior to analogue transfer, no DVI cable is a crime :p but i guess imagine what it would have cost :p . I think Nintendo will make a big deal about video connections in the future however judging by that pc monitor comment. No reason to leave video behind and progress in sound alone.

Shompola said:
The idea is pretty dumb. They could have had a true RBG output and component output on the DAC that feeds out s-video and composite. That cable was an after thought, and a dumb one too.

Huh what? I dont think you know what you are saying. or its all wrong.

The European GC's were changed to allow for PAL RGB scart through the analogue port. Thats the cheaper and realistic option now as the digital port is useless here as only select few tv's support which also happen to be the highest priced tv's int heir classes. The DV output was a mistake by Nintendo. Maybe this was their 'online' :p

Shompola

Banned
Umm I simple ment that GC should support RGB and component from the beginning thru the analog out. I know that the pin outs on analog out don't support either of them on the NA GC but it should.

Deg

Banned
Shompola said:
Umm I simple ment that GC should support RGB and component from the beginning thru the analog out. I know that the pin outs on analog out don't support either of them on the NA GC but it should.

Yeah its a shame. PAL GC's were changed to allow for that.

ge-man

I paid 35 for my component cables altogether and I thought it was worth it. The higher quality output makes so much of a difference now that I become very disappointed when a game I'm interested in doesn't support progressive scan (Killer 7 is the most recent offender).

jedimike

crumbs said:
Millions of existing GC still have the digital video out and can take advantage of the new games with prog scan.

I think you missed the part about less than 1%... that's only about 150,000 users. That being said, development costs for adding progressive scan are nil.

Mashing

I know they will continue to make progressive scan games for the people who do have component cables, but if only 1% of hte userbase is even using that feature, why would they even bother? It just seems to me they are contradicting themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they are continuing to make their games progressive scan as I can fully support that feature on my TV, it just annoys me to no end that if my current GC craps out, I will most likely end up with a model that can't take advantage of that feature any longer...

crumbs

jedimike said:
I think you missed the part about less than 1%... that's only about 150,000 users. That being said, development costs for adding progressive scan are nil.

Yeah, I caught that, I just meant that millions of GC owners have the chance to use the dv out, but the likelihood is rather slim.

ge-man

Mashing said:
I know they will continue to make progressive scan games for the people who do have component cables, but if only 1% of hte userbase is even using that feature, why would they even bother? It just seems to me they are contradicting themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they are continuing to make their games progressive scan as I can fully support that feature on my TV, it just annoys me to no end that if my current GC craps out, I will most likely end up with a model that can't take advantage of that feature any longer...

You can call them and they'll probably hook you up with a refurb that has the output. Of course, that will be as annoying as it is to go on nintendo.com to order component cables right now.

Deg

Banned
Milhouse31 said:
The prob. with the PAL RGB cable is : IT'S TOO EXPENSIVE. I'M NOT PAYING $37 (30euro) FOR A STUPID CABLE.

AND YOU PAY HOW MUCH FOR A STUPID 5.1 SYSTEM FOR BETTER SOUND? If you are interested the best RGB scart isnt official and costs less BTW :p and its well worth it. You'll be startled by a RGB scart if you have never experienced the difference.

They mean the DV output is underused to warrant the cost basicaly. By underused they mean they have never used it ever sadly. Hows that for a great feature that got wasted :(

Top Bottom