• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

Vidiot

I have no idea why but I'm loving this so much more then I did on Wii U. The only thing I can think of is I was so bitter of how shit the battle mode was and now it's actually pretty great even if I do miss elimination matches.

SomTervo

Absolutely.

yes, that's exclusively the way my girlfriend and i are playing.
it's much more fun if you can create these kind of imaginary 'vendettas' against certain named human players.
Also, playing against AI either means i'll always end up first place, or she'll finish dead last (if we play against harder AI).

Make sure you create a mii for her beforehand. - it's in the Switch's settings app.
The only "issue" (cmiiw) is that - while your career stats get tracked, hers reset every time you start a new session (she'll be back to 1000points again)

You can do that. There's an option for 2P online.

Yup, that's how it works. One account for two players online. You show up as the same person twice to other players.

Magical. Thanks, folks.

Just realised I don't have an SD card... space will probably be the bigger issue :/

Fliesen

I have no idea why but I'm loving this so much more then I did on Wii U. The only thing I can think of is I was so bitter of how shit the battle mode was and now it's actually pretty great even if I do miss elimination matches.

I realized this week that i must have played the Wii U version so rarely, that EVERY SINGLE race track feels totally new to me. Especially the ones that are upgraded versions of the Wii version of Mario Kart.

As expected, i'm playing the game mostly in handheld mode... imho the best way to play.

I didn't want to make a thread about this.. But mario kart 8, makes miss mod nation racers... Mario kart just isn't fleshed out.. No story.. No real upgrade path.. The only flaw mod nation had was horrendous load times. Mk8 just seems bare bones... Here are some karts.. Here are some maps..go...

Do the characters you race as make any difference?
I hate the kart pieces and how you're supposed to figure out whats best.

13ruce

Banned
Anyone have tips for the 150cc Big Blue and Mute City time trial? Or the best kart/bike setup for it? i need those damn gold wheels:/

Only those 2 left to finish.

I didn't want to make a thread about this.. But mario kart 8, makes miss mod nation racers... Mario kart just isn't fleshed out.. No story.. No real upgrade path.. The only flaw mod nation had was horrendous load times. Mk8 just seems bare bones... Here are some karts.. Here are some maps..go...

Yes the characters are different weight classes so they also play into the stats.

"Here are some karts and tracks, go race" is why I play Mario Kart and im sure its simplicity is what keeps it so popular.

centracore

Fuck you Nin★Dylan.

r02681Z_d.jpg

So I think the double items has negatively effected the balance in this game. Usually I pull ahead of my wife but with items she can pull me back and win, but it seems like all the shells go to people in 4-6th place, and now they get double items!

So im way ahead in 1st because 2nd is getting bananas and green shells, and she is struggling to even get into 3rd because she's getting dog piled by never ending shells. I thought she was just complaining so I lagged behind early in a match and found it very hard to keep 2nd or catch up to first. The only thing she was hit by was a redshell I held onto till the very end of the last lap cuz I'm cruel lol

I understand that mario kart 8 has probably always had this item balance, but it feels as the double items doubles the struggle of 2-6 and doubles the ease of staying in 1st. With cpu's of course.

While some deeper single-player progression would be totally welcome, the core gameplay is soooo fucking good, with a ton of little elements of depth, that I don't need any of that to compel me to play. I certainly think this game stands heads-and-shoulders above Modnation.

To answer your questions, they do but not hugely. There are different weight classes of characters, and that class determines things like acceleration, handling, and other hidden stats. So not every single character handles uniquely: Baby Mario and Baby Luigi, being in the same class, won't have any differences. But there'll be a huge difference in feel between playing as Baby Mario and Bowser, for example.

You can hit + on the kart customization screen to see the stats of your current selection. The different kart parts significantly affect the stats of your racer, so that's important.

Griss

So I think the double items has negatively effected the balance in this game. Usually I pull ahead of my wife but with items she can pull me back and win, but it seems like all the shells go to people in 4-6th place, and now they get double items!

So im way ahead in 1st because 2nd is getting bananas and green shells, and she is struggling to even get into 3rd because she's getting dog piled by never ending shells. I thought she was just complaining so I lagged behind early in a match and found it very hard to keep 2nd or catch up to first. The only thing she was hit by was a redshell I held onto till the very end of the last lap cuz I'm cruel lol

I understand that mario kart 8 has probably always had this item balance, but it feels as the double items doubles the struggle of 2-6 and doubles the ease of staying in 1st. With cpu's of course.

I don't have the game yet but this was my fear with the balance.

I loved the risk/reward of being in first. If you had a defensive item you couldn't just drop it and get another - you ran the risk of getting a coin. Now that you have two slots, the risk of being undefended is less, while the chaos of the chasing pack is increased.

MK8 did as much as it could to negate the front-runners' advantage with the coin item, which is why I always said it was the best item in the game. This seems to take it in the other direction, but I suppose without actually playing it and seeing how the item balance is I can't judge.

The bigger problem in MK8 was that people at the back of the pack just didn't get enough powerful items to catch them up. The back of the pack was not a good place to be. Has that changed at all?

Chittagong

Gold Member
The bigger problem in MK8 was that people at the back of the pack just didn't get enough powerful items to catch them up. The back of the pack was not a good place to be. Has that changed at all?

Back at 10-12 is fine now, you get tons of stars, triple shrooms, bullets. The worst place is 2-6, you get less good stuff, and being hit once in an even race opens you up for multiple hits from passers by. The amount I have gone from 3 to 12 is nuts.

Rixxan

Is there a consensus on best character(s) to use?

or is it really personal preference? I find it hard to believe there wouldnt be objective favorites

Starting to win a few online matches and usually finishing near the top of the pack, time spent in Grand Prix is paying off now.

Dry Bowser with the offroad bike and red wheels seems to be the way to go for me.

Some of the courses are just fantastic. Big Blue, Mount Wario, Mute City, the retro courses are nearly all fantastic. Snes rainbow road probably my favourite of all.

Fliesen

to be fair, many "hold 2 items" combinations were already possible prior to MK8D, right?

Like, when you 'held' a green shell or Banana behind your kart, you'd be able to collect another item box. (cmiiw please!). So, when in the lead, it was possible to have two defensive charges (one green shell behind your kart, and a banana in your inventory. like so.So that's not new)
Similarly, now, triple shells auto pop around you - and while they're around you they're still listed as your held item.

"double items" isn't as big as an addition as some think it is, they just streamlined the game to remove the whole 'hold an item in limbo behind your kart' idea.
As long as an item - or all of its charges haven't been fired off entirely, it still sits in your inventory. They removed that limbo for certain items (red shell, triple red shells, green shell, triple green shells, banana, triple bananas, bobomb) and simply added a new item slot.

edit: Turns out i misremember Mario Kart 8 ... this is how it worked in Mario Kart Wii. The 'limbo' had been removed in MK8 already ... once again shows how little i played the title on the Wii U...

The big addition are the double item pickups, i feel, which make the back of the pack even more chaotic, because it essentially (up to) doubles the amount of items that are being thrown around.

or is it really personal preference? I find it hard to believe there wouldnt be objective favorites

I'd love to play Lakitu, but i can't deal with the shitty top speed that lightweight character's have :/

Cynosure

it depends on the course. download the top 3 online ghosts data for each course. generally, you'll see they use same type of build.

So how do people feel about how smart steering was implemented? Should it have been a choice? I'm just curious about your thoughts on this.

I think it makes sense to have it enabled by default. Because crucially, the players that need it the most, will not be the players that know how to access it. With that said, it's irritating to have to turn it off, and the manner in which the options menu works makes it easy to accidentally enable it by mistake.

Would it have been better suited to an option at the kart selection menu? Perhaps.

I'm a big fan of the feature as it's balanced and allows people who wouldn't normally be able to enjoy the game to do so. I played it this morning with several small children who have difficulty staying on the track and they enjoyed it far more than vanilla 8/Wii.

etc.

I don't have the game yet but this was my fear with the balance.

I loved the risk/reward of being in first. If you had a defensive item you couldn't just drop it and get another - you ran the risk of getting a coin. Now that you have two slots, the risk of being undefended is less, while the chaos of the chasing pack is increased.

etc.

Surprisingly, I think item balance is just as good if not better than it was in vanilla 8. While yes, first place is able to defend themselves more consistently, people far behind are also able to cause much more chaos. In a game this morning I got triple reds and triple shrooms when I was in 3rd place, causing me to hit both 2nd and 1st to secure the win.

The quality of the items you get is dependent on distance more than race position.

mazillion

As long as an item - or all of its charges haven't been fired off entirely, it still sits in your inventory.
With the one exception being the boomerang.It physically leaves your inventory each time you fire it. If you want to fish for a different item (and don't have time to expend all your charges) you can fire the boomerang right before picking up an item box, the boomerang doesn't come back to you after that. Neat little trick

Yoshi Circuit is some Fast&Furious Tokio Drift shit, love chaining those drifts back and forth.

Yoshi Circuit has always been a favorite of mine, it is a blast to race on still. I really like all the no-bs circuit style courses, they're a nice balance to the off the wall crazy races. I'm actually digging the Excite-Bike track. It is a little simple, but the nostalgia bonus is a winner for me.

The Animal Crossing track may be in the running for my new favorite though, that one is a lot of fun.

Never played any DLC and I really like some of them. The dirt bike track is so fun, baby track is great, Hyrule isn't a great course but I love the aesthetic changes. Still haven't played some of them, but it's cool that it feels a lot like a new game.

Doesn't hurt that the Splatoon kid has been my go-to racer either.

This just makes me want everything on Switch, give me the MK8 deluxe version of SSB WiiU at E3 PLEASE

Cloud7

I'm tired of getting bombarded with red and blue shells every time I'm in 1st for awhile. Whenever I'm in second, I don't get tons of red or blue shells. I feel robbed.

I also really dislike how in 5-8 player mode that you can have more than 2 people on one screen in docked mode. I reallllly dislike that.

Otherwise, still my favorite arcade racer ever.

Trago

I FINALLY got my Switch, after calling up damn near every store in my area. Picked up the game as well. Y'all bout to get this work online.

Is anybody here able to achieve consistent success online?

It seems no matter how well/badly I drive the final result will be 95% dictated by pure chance. I might finish 2nd in one race and 11th in the following one against the same players. This feel even more random than Mario Kart Wii to me (the last one I played).

Berordn

It seems no matter how well/badly I drive the final result will be 95% dictated by pure chance. I might finish 2nd in one race and 11th in the following one against the same players. This feel even more random than Mario Kart Wii to me (the last one I played).

I've noticed myself having a little trouble with the added chaos from double items. I generally do pretty well, but nowhere near as consistently as on Wii U.

sanstesy

Play against BurningJustice in the GAF room and then come back.

I've noticed myself having a little trouble with the added chaos from double items. I generally do pretty well, but nowhere near as consistently as on Wii U.
Honestly this is really ruining my enjoyment of the game. I love the tracks, the way the driving feels etc but what's the point if in the end barely anything you do matters?
I hope I am wrong and I just need to git gud, otherwise I can't see myself playing this long.

edit: the online race I enjoyed the most (which I won, coincidentally) was one instance where the lobby I was playing was reduced to 5 players. Less shit on the screen, way more fun and and actual driving.

jokkir

Yeah, I'm not as consistent as I was on Mario Kart 7. These goddamn items in the middle of the pack always shoot me down lower place

vgamer1

Playing in some of the GAF rooms prove that skill definitely matters, as the same people consistently place in the top 3 most of the time there in my experience

Yeah, I'm not as consistent as I was on Mario Kart 7. These goddamn items in the middle of the pack always shoot me down lower place
Yea it seems to me the best way to get good results is to be effective/lucky in the very early stage of the race and manage to gain some advantage over the pack.
Once you're in the middle of the pack, it's total mayhem and I don't feel like there's any skill involved at that point.

I just wish there were a toned down items mode, that would fix all my issues.

Forkball

Yesterday I had ten online worldwide races, got 1st in eight of them. The other two I placed 2nd and 3rd. I'm not good by any means, I assume I'm crushing newbies, but it is possible to achieve constant success. In GAF races, you can definitely see the same small pool of people consistently place in the top three. Yes, there are those times where absolute BS happens and it takes you from 3rd to 12th instantly, but success in this game is largely based on skill believe it or not.

850 coins in, I finally got the Master Cycle. I rolled Villager girl + Master Cycle + Slim in 200cc for MK8U and found a lot of success. Hitting time trials, I am definitely hitting laps faster with the Inkling girl (same weight as Villager girl) + Master Cycle + Triforce (Slim) tires than my previous Yoshi set up. I'll definitely stick with it a while to see how I rank. Though I do want to try Bowser Jr. more since I was clamoring for him ever since MK8U. Is there any recommended set up for him? He's the same weight as Koopa and Lakitu, but I never use those characters.

Also does anyone have any battle mode suggestions in terms of kart build? Can you really just go in there with any set up? I'm thinking a set up that focuses on handling and acceleration would be good for many of the battle modes.

random25

Honestly this is really ruining my enjoyment of the game. I love the tracks, the way the driving feels etc but what's the point if in the end barely anything you do matters?
I hope I am wrong and I just need to git gud, otherwise I can't see myself playing this long.

edit: the online race I enjoyed the most (which I won, coincidentally) was one instance where the lobby I was playing was reduced to 5 players. Less shit on the screen, way more fun and and actual driving.

Play against GAF rooms consistently and you'll be like Goku after King Kai's training lol.

Learning shortcuts, item use and playing defense do wonders to better placements.

Top Bottom