• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

Is there no way to limit worldwide search to 150cc? It's giving me 100cc matches 99% of the time. And playing in most tournaments means having matches against one or two other people before more start to join gradually, I have no idea what's happening there.

It was never this bad on Wii U. Heck, I can’t remember getting any connection errors. People lagging from time to time is normal but this on Switch is something else. It probably has something to do with how many people are online and the servers not being able to keep up. Hopefully, we’ll see some maintenance soon.

I hope it's not the wifi of the Switch :/

Chittagong

Gold Member
It was never this bad on Wii U. Heck, I can’t remember getting any connection errors. People lagging from time to time is normal but this on Switch is something else. It probably has something to do with how many people are online and the servers not being able to keep up. Hopefully, we’ll see some maintenance soon.

I must say I'm impressed by the amount of different failure messages and UI styles they have

- connection error
- communication error
- can't communicate with other console error
- failed to connect error
- DNS error
- you have been disconnected error

Haven't been able to connect to a game in the last 45min. Getting to different points of nowhere at all, empty lobby, half empty lobby, full lobby, picking track, connecting to game, spectating game.

Utterly ridiculous, a thread should be made about it - we had one for Diablo 3, Driveclub and Battlefield 4 too, which are the only comparable shit shows I can think of.

Man do the 50cc-Grand Prix-races suck.
99% of the race you're alone and get hit with a red or blue shell from time to time.
If it weren't for those it would be just like Time Attack..

RAWRferal

Man do the 50cc-Grand Prix-races suck.
99% of the race you're alone and get hit with a red or blue shell from time to time.
If it weren't for those it would be just like Time Attack..

You dont have to do them, completing 150cc will clear all lower classes too. Only 200cc and Mirror are seperate.

Ninja Dom

I must say I'm impressed by the amount of different failure messages and UI styles they have

- connection error
- communication error
- can't communicate with other console error
- failed to connect error
- DNS error
- you have been disconnected error

Haven't been able to connect to a game in the last 45min. Getting to different points of nowhere at all, empty lobby, half empty lobby, full lobby, picking track, connecting to game, spectating game.

Utterly ridiculous, a thread should be made about it - we had one for Diablo 3, Driveclub and Battlefield 4 too, which are the only comparable shit shows I can think of.

Maybe it's not you and it's the other folks around the world hotspotting off their mobiles with slow 3G connections.

I didn't realise so many people had connection issues. I've had a 100% flawless online experience so far from a performance/connection standpoint. Had an absolute blast.

Until I get blue shelled literally on the fucking finish line and end up dropping to 4th. Fuck this game.

Sapiens

Reminder that Wii U MK8 launch was just like this. Communication errors abound because of the amount of people online, really congested/traffic-filled matchmaking servers led to the errors being very common for the first week. After the first week, things got better and from there it was just a rare occurrence on Wii U. (I would know this because I vividly remember getting a lot of comm. errors in GAF tourneys the first week)

And then, like... of course the Wii U version is going to be "more consistent" at this point because the player pool has shrunk. Less people playing means more consistent connections and all that.

It's just launch week woes.

Ah, never played MK8 until a year after it came out. From day 1, it was near flawless. Thanks for the bit of history.

Playing MK in 1080p on a 55" in screen is nuts. Actually loving the HD rumble. I can focus on the "clicks" of each successive mini-boost instead of looking at sparks. Really works well on that dragon track.

RRockman

Banned
It's so easy to just get in a good lobby and just keep playing. Each time, I'd be like just one more race. Funnily enough the only time I can reliably stop before 3 AM is a disconnection error. I sit there and I'm like I probably wouldn't have stopped otherwise anyway.

RIP Me when nintendo fixes the internet service.

Exentryk

It's so easy to just get in a good lobby and just keep playing. Each time, I'd be like just one more race. Funnily enough the only time I can reliably stop before 3 AM is a disconnection error. I sit there and I'm like I probably wouldn't have stopped otherwise anyway.

RIP Me when nintendo fixes the internet service.

Then you'd be like:

CIbBt_EUAAAWB82.jpg

I had a strange bug online.
I only got golden coins even when collecting double items I did only get golden coins.
And nobody threw a red shell or even a banana. That was a really strange race and easy win for me

beta_fuse

I used to get communication errors every now and then but today I can't even play 1 game. All the races I start end abruptly with a communication error. It's very annoying. Anyone else having this issue particularly today?

Love this game so much! I never owned a Wii U but I played a ton of 8 at my buddies' place when it was released.

Just got Gold Mario last night. After playing 200CC everything else feels like you're Neo and just figured out the Matrix.

zoukka

It's crazy how good this game still looks. I was honestly shocked when I changed to BotW and how crude it looked in comparison (apples and oranges I know).

venomenon

I used to get communication errors every now and then but today I can't even play 1 game. All the races I start end abruptly with a communication error. It's very annoying. Anyone else having this issue particularly today?
Yes. I was just able to play my first race today after having tried many times in the last 3 hours.

Certainly not gonna pay for online services if the errors persist. Which is a pity because the game is so damn good and I could see myself playing it online for a long time.

So how do people feel about how smart steering was implemented? Should it have been a choice? I'm just curious about your thoughts on this.

I think it makes sense to have it enabled by default. Because crucially, the players that need it the most, will not be the players that know how to access it. With that said, it's irritating to have to turn it off, and the manner in which the options menu works makes it easy to accidentally enable it by mistake.

Would it have been better suited to an option at the kart selection menu? Perhaps.

Alpha_eX

So how do people feel about how smart steering was implemented? Should it have been a choice? I'm just curious about your thoughts on this.

Would it have been better suited to an option at the kart selection menu? Perhaps.

It is an option at the kart selection menu and I absolutely love it's inclusion. I don't use it but I was just playing with a family and we turned it on for the child and mother, who both had much more fun.

I do feel it should be off by default, but that is just my preference. I'm thrilled that Nintendo are putting (optional) stuff like this in so it balances the game for all skill levels and everyone can enjoy.

Lynd7

It is an option at the kart selection menu and I absolutely love it's inclusion. I don't use it but I was just playing with a family and we turned it on for the child and mother, who both had much more fun.

I do feel it should be off by default, but that is just my preference. I'm thrilled that Nintendo are putting (optional) stuff like this in so it balances the game for all skill levels and everyone can enjoy.

I just paused the game and turned it off. I think it's off for good now too.

Had a fucking awesome time over the weekend with this game. I threw an MK8 party and we had three Switches in local network play:

2Btc.jpg

We had a blast! We had about 15 people over, including several folks who never really played Mario Kart, and everyone had a great time. Such a fantastic game.

Firebrand

Sorry, Spanish person (N something... Nostll? Sorry my memory is bad :(), for fire flowering backwards as i crossed the finish line, making you drop two positions. X) I immediately felt kinda bad.

All heavies, no Rosalina or Metals in sight.

I'm in heaven.

Was this something in MK8 on Wii U or you coming from MK7 too? Cause Metal Marios in B Dasher got a tad old...

psychotron

Had a fucking awesome time over the weekend with this game. I threw an MK8 party and we had three Switches in local network play:

We had a blast! We had about 15 people over, including several folks who never really played Mario Kart, and everyone had a great time. Such a fantastic game.

I like this. What you did here.....I really like this. I wish I had friends :(

Firebrand

2Btc.jpg

That's a lot of pro controllers. Next up on MTV Cribs...

feel

It's crazy how good this game still looks. I was honestly shocked when I changed to BotW and how crude it looked in comparison (apples and oranges I know).
Yeah, I find Legend of Zelda to be a very beautiful game but those first 10min after you switch back to it from Mario Kart are painful until your eyes settle for the lower framerate and IQ.

Redwing199

Neo Member
Love this game so much! I never owned a Wii U but I played a ton of 8 at my buddies' place when it was released.

Just got Gold Mario last night. After playing 200CC everything else feels like you're Neo and just figured out the Matrix.

I did the same thing this weekend with 200CC for Gold Mario. Going back to online matches racing in 100/150 and hitting every corner with ease.

tuffy

Just have to say the auto-acceleration is an awesome thing. Learning to drift around corners without easing off the accelerator or hitting the brakes has improved my skills already.

I also like that steering assist usage is tracked in the stats screen. 0% for life.

Bersi

Is there no way to limit worldwide search to 150cc? It's giving me 100cc matches 99% of the time. And playing in most tournaments means having matches against one or two other people before more start to join gradually, I have no idea what's happening there.
I don't think so,but I thought for sure that it was possible on wii u... really annoying when you got less than 150cc

mazillion

Man I have screwed myself over way too many times already by accidentally releasing the L Button and dropping my defense. I don't really like the triggers on the JoyCons haha.. They need just a bit more compression.

I know right! I find myself holding the triggers with an excessive amount of force because I am so paranoid of accidentally losing my defense now.

How is everyone playing?

I've been training myself with single Joy-Con... I actually love it - my only gripe is that with the grip the L and R buttons need a little too much force to be pressed. Lol grip gripe.

I'm FLOORED by battle mode. I knew it was going to be fun, but the variety and execution is really good. Usually I'm a "let's stick to balloon" kinda guy, but I've been doing random with my friends and I love it online. It's cool that it's making me go out of my comfort zone and enjoy myself.

SomTervo

Think I'm about to grab this for playing with my GF, now that it's a little cheaper than RRP on CDkeys.com.

BTW, is it possible to play online together with one account, split screen? I remember doing that with an ex on the Wii. Like I log in, my GF joins split screen (still on my account), then we just start playing online?

Failing that, is it easy to set up another account and play split screen online?

Sapiens

Think I'm about to grab this for playing with my GF, now that it's a little cheaper than RRP on CDkeys.com.

BTW, is it possible to play online together with one account, split screen? I remember doing that with an ex on the Wii. Like I log in, my GF joins split screen (still on my account), then we just start playing online?

Failing that, is it easy to set up another account and play split screen online?

Yup, that's how it works. One account for two players online. You show up as the same person twice to other players.

random25

You can do that. There's an option for 2P online.

Fliesen

Absolutely.

yes, that's exclusively the way my girlfriend and i are playing.
it's much more fun if you can create these kind of imaginary 'vendettas' against certain named human players.
Also, playing against AI either means i'll always end up first place, or she'll finish dead last (if we play against harder AI).

Make sure you create a mii for her beforehand. - it's in the Switch's settings app.
The only "issue" (cmiiw) is that - while your career stats get tracked, hers reset every time you start a new session (she'll be back to 1000points again)

Top Bottom