• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

Mr. F

Banned
What's the third option when customizing karts? Next to assisted driving and tilt controls, looks like an arrow in front of a kart icon.

Really wish this game had a digital manual :<

Jazzem

Just compared the Wii U and Switch versions on Mario Kart Stadium...damn, Deluxe looks so much better, I was shocked how muddy the original looks in comparison! I guess that's the 1080p/texture filtering/full RGB bump at work

Damn...I started downloading the game 14 hours ago. I had several crash this morning and had to manually restart the DL. I come back from work only to discover my DL has crashed again. I am using my phone with H+. The connection sseems OK. I have downloaded Zelda with no problem a few days ago. Any advice anyone?

StayDead

Just compared the Wii U and Switch versions on Mario Kart Stadium...damn, Deluxe looks so much better, I was shocked how muddy the original looks in comparison! I guess that's the 1080p/texture filtering/full RGB bump at work

Yeah, on my TV there's no contest. The game looks so much better compared to the Wii U one.

AH gotcha, thanks.

On a side note, kind of bummed everything is unlocked off the bat. Still having a blast though

Not the parts! There are soooo many Kart pieces to unlock via coins, and all of them have different attributes and change colors depending on your character. They're the meat of the unlockables and there's a lot to find.

Auto power start too?

I haven't actually used the feature, so I'm not 100% sure, but I would assume no. I assume it begins accelerating as soon as the countdown ends.

Branduil

They really need to give you the option to turn off blue shells on 1-player. It's utter fucking bullshit to miss out on three stars because a blue shell hits you at the very end of Mute City.

Salaadin

From Amazon, regarding my order stuck at "shipping soon":

"Upon checking your order details, I see that your package is already shipped and will be delivered by the end of Friday, April 28, 2017.

I realize that you find the status as not yet shipped, but I guess this is due to some technical glitch that the status is not updated yet. But, I've confirmed that your order is shipped and will be soon delivered."

I'm going to respond and ask for a tracking number as I still have my doubts. Sucks that UPS doesn't usually get here until 3 so I won't know until much later today...

Plum

Played some Dolphin Shoals just now and, to be honest, I'm more impressed by the graphics on display in handheld mode than I have been for most current-gen titles. It's incredible how sharp it all looks and the lighting is amazing.

Too tired to play much more now but I'm gonna join the GAF group later. Need to figure out which kart is best for battle mode, one I was just playing with had both poor handling and way too little acceleration.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
played a few races this morning and my god the graphics are fantastic in handheld mode.

Going to be insane playing MP.
It looks really good and I also find it a bit more playable. Could be the ultra low latency or having the screen closer to my eyes. Probably both.

Xdrive05

First time ever playing this game. I ran through the Mushroom Cup tracks in portable mode Time Trial. It *feels* so good. Now I see what the hype was about when it came out on Wii-U. Can't wait to dig in later after work when I have more time.

My four year old is going to lose his mind over this game!

Geg

Didn't see this posted yet, official art from the Splatoon team celebrating the game's release:

C-fPdmMVwAAwbUo.jpg:large

Kinsei

Banned
Thanks but that's...

Not really helpful.

The defend part is at least. Some people don;t realize that you can drag items behind you to use as a shield.

Make sure you drift around every corner.

You should only use the brake button on 200cc. You can take every corner on 150cc and below without braking.

Maybe start by using lighter characters. They have better acceleration and handling than heavier characters.

Shahadan

Are codes bought from Amazon Japan region free?
Or do I have to do some wizardry with Japanese eShop accounts to redeem them?

You just have to change region in your nintendo account. Then enter the code in the eshop, dl, and then just put your region back. Typing this probably took longer than it actually takes to do.
The annoying part is more the creation of an amazon.jp account using a japanese address.

Xdrive05

So what are all the ways that the physics/stats affect the actual gameplay? Do heavier characters bump the lighter characters further if contact is made, or is it just stuff like acceleration stats?

Also how "felt" is the stats differences anyway? Can you actually tell a difference when racing from one "build" versus an opposite build?

Xiofire

You just have to change region in your nintendo account. Then enter the code in the eshop, dl, and then just put your region back. Typing this probably took longer than it actually takes to do.
The annoying part is more the creation of an amazon.jp account using a japanese address.

Oh sweet, thanks :)

Amazon UK have flapped my delivery so thinking as a last resort to just get digital so I can play after work.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Are codes bought from Amazon Japan region free?
Or do I have to do some wizardry with Japanese eShop accounts to redeem them?
Not wizardry, but yeah it's easiest to just create a Japanese eShop account and create a user on your switch to connect to it. All users have access to the game and such. It's like a 2-4 minute one time process after which buying games from Japan' eShop is almost as easy as buying it from your own region's.
Note this doesn't work if you have funds in your eShop. Hence why most just create a second account. Especially where it's really hard to get eShop cards for the exact same amount as the titles you spend them on. Entering game codes is easy to handle, but if you ever purchase from the shop directly you're going to want a second account.

The defend part is at least. Some people don;t realize that you can drag items behind you to use as a shield.

Make sure you drift around every corner.

You should only use the brake button on 200cc. You can take every corner on 150cc and below without braking.

Maybe start by using lighter characters. They have better acceleration and handling than heavier characters.
Thanks!

Reading on the types of vehicles atm.

Didn't see this posted yet, official art from the Splatoon team celebrating the game's release:

Amazing

So what are all the ways that the physics/stats affect the actual gameplay? Do heavier characters bump the lighter characters further if contact is made, or is it just stuff like acceleration stats?

Also how "felt" is the stats differences anyway? Can you actually tell a difference when racing from one "build" versus an opposite build?

Every stat has an in-race effect. Your guess that heavies have more push is correct. Traction determines how much speed you retain going off track, acceleration and speed are self explanatory. The kart creation system is very robust in my eyes and is actually my favorite part of the game.

Lighter characters tend to have tighter handling and higher acceleration, whereas heavies have greater max speed and more weight for knocking people around. Plus the kart parts changing color with your character essentialy makes creating a layout "Fashion Kart" for me.

loving this so far! I do wish though that you could choose want kind of battle mode you want to queue up for instead of always running through the playlist

kaskade

My salt is high. From Amazon, as my order will not be delivered today.

Damn, that happened with my switch. It's kind of nice that Nintendo releases things on fridays since we get them for the weekend, but if the shipments delayed we don't have it for the whole weekend.

Played a couple vs cpu last night before bed. Wow game is amazing and as someone who hasn't played a MK since N64, game is really fun. I can see myself losing many, many hours to this.

Top Bottom