• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

Jazzem

Anyone else having trouble connecting to friends online in global matches? I got through on one eventually, but I keep getting this error message:

"The target device cannot accept any more connections. Please try again later."

At a guess, that would be due to the lobby being full, but I'm sure MK8 vanilla let you stay in 12 player rooms in the chance someone would drop out.

I like Metal Mario :/

But that's probably because I've always considered Metal Mario his own thing, as I grew up with Smash 64, where he was his own thing.

Haha yeeeeeeep it's ridiculous.... but after three long years I'm finally ready to begrudgingly accept how absolutely terrible the character roster is and even start using some of them.
The various horns are novel at least.

Other than Diddy and Birdo, which are still pretty jarring omissions, the roster is about on par with MKWii at this point.

The lack of Bowser Jr in 8 Wii U ranks up there with no Waluigi in 7. It's Bowser Jr. He's in every spin off Mario game! He's even in pretty much every "real" Mario game these days!

They've been making some bizarre choices with the Mario Kart roster in recent games.

G.ZZZ

The roster is huge and mostly useless, at least half of the chars should be skins. Mario kart 64 roster was perfect.

Forkball

I actually kinda disagree. I think it's playable on every track with braking,

200 is actually my favorite mode for pushing my skills. 150 is for when I want to just relax and have wacky fun.

Maybe I'm just rusty, but I did feel that 200cc didn't suit some maps when the DLC came out. I think a lot of the DLC maps are geared towards it, but I feel there are some areas in the past tracks where it is almost impossible not to slam into something with 200cc. I don't have my preferred kart set up yet though, so maybe that will change things. And I am certainly rusty.

Smart steering is a pretty awesome edition. It really helps people who have never played Mario Kart before. Since you can't get the pink boost and it naturally slows you down when you are actually going off the track, it still gives skilled player an advantage while also allowing those who aren't as good to learn the track and still enjoy the experience. It's basically the perfect setting for showing the game off or letting someone who doesn't play games have a go at it.

Also maybe I'm just forgetting, but I feel like they changed some aspects of the presentation, like the pre-race videos seem different as does the prix ending stat screens.

Jazzem

A bit gutted there's no equivalent of the stamps, they acted as a pretty neat achievement-esque system in MK8 Vanilla. Was a nice incentive + reward for doing various cups with different characters

The roster is huge and mostly useless, at least half of the chars should be skins. Mario kart 64 roster was perfect.

No Koopa means I must disagree :'D

So just to double check, we still have to unlock the karts and the parts right?

Yup, as far as I know those and Gold Mario are the only unlockables

Are there any alternate skins for characters in the game, or does that require Amiibos? In particular thinking about the Miis.

Miis require amiibo. Yoshi, Shy Guy and Inklings (both genders) have alts by default. Metal Mario has an unlockable alt (well actually, Metal Mario becomes an alt of Gold Mario when you unlock it).

Is there some sort of auto-drive on 50cc? My character seemed to take to the track of his own volition but sometimes it drove me into stuff so I'm not sure if this is intentional or if my Joycon is fucked. I was in handheld mode though, so it shouldn't be a connection issue, right?

Is there some sort of auto-drive on 50cc? My character seemed to take to the track of his own volition but sometimes it drove me into stuff so I'm not sure if this is intentional or if my Joycon is fucked. I was in handheld mode though, so it shouldn't be a connection issue, right?
Smart steering is on by default

So I preordered in store pick up from Best Buy, but bought it digital last night. I know I don't get charged until I actually pick it up...is it okay if I just never go? Like does my account get marked or something?

conpfreak

Seriously, mine is in the same spot. It's so annoying as this has happened multiple times over the last 6 months. I'm doing live chat with them now to complain lol

Just finished complaining to them and got a $20 account credit and a $5 promotional credit. Just going to grab a physical copy later and cancel the order. Pretty good come up.

So I preordered in store pick up from Best Buy, but bought it digital last night. I know I don't get charged until I actually pick it up...is it okay if I just never go? Like does my account get marked or something?

In the past, they've actually told me to just never pick something up when I ordered it to be picked up but wanted to cancel the order after it was waiting for me. It's something in their system where it's either impossible to cancel the order once the item is waiting for you or it's just easier for them if you never pick it up.

Just finished complaining to them and got a $20 account credit and a $5 promotional credit. Just going to grab a physical copy later and cancel the order. Pretty good come up.

They better give me a $20 credit lol. I've been on hold with them now on live chat for like 10 mins. *shrug*

Did you ask for some compensation or they just offered?

Drey1082

Yeah, Amazon borked my release day delivery.

Thankfully I was able to cancel - went with store pickup at Walmart instead.

$10 out the window, but hey, I feel like playing tonight.

You should have kept your order original order. Later, using the walmart receipt, return the amazon copy to Walmart when it arrived.

Top Bottom