• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

Mandelbo

So what is 200cc supposed to actually do because it feels like it just fucks up the controls in an unbelievably annoying way.

It just makes the karts faster. Make sure you're using your brakes, especially during drifts, or you'll lose control fairly easily.

HyperHip

So there definitely isn't a way to change buttons? I wanna play 200cc but the brake button placement makes it extremely uncomfortable for me :(

Mandelbo

So there definitely isn't a way to change buttons? I wanna play 200cc but the brake button placement makes it extremely uncomfortable for me :(

Have you tried using auto-accelerate? I find it makes using the brakes much easier to do since you don't have to keep A held down. Either that or use Y to accelerate instead.

edbrat

Wait. You can keep hitting the item button to get more boost from the plant...

So many hours into the WiiU version and I never knew this.

could you do this in the wii u version? I just accidentally stumbled into this only now on switch too, 00s of hours on wii u.

could you do this in the wii u version? I just accidentally stumbled into this only now on switch too, 00s of hours on wii u.

Yep! But using the boost more quickly depletes the time the item lasts.

Btw in the Internet Zone™ now so I'll be coming after y'all after I have dinner

Lkr

Love that I wake up at 7:20am est and there are people playing in the gaf group lol
Items are brutal in this. I don't remember if it was like this on U or not but I don't recall being so bad online

AmyS

Guys how has online been the last few hours, and overall so far?

I haven't played any games online on Switch yet. MK8 Deluxe will be the first for me.

Gowans

Playing last night while really tired I was struggling but man today it's a tonne of fun.

It's gourge and love the fact the Mrs and kids have been right over to play.

wapplew

Guys how has online been the last few hours, and overall so far?

I haven't played any games online on Switch yet. MK8 Deluxe will be the first for me.

A few connection error here and there, usually not within race. They either hide latency very well or super good net code. No ghost, teleport what so ever even playing with US player.
Ready to pay up.

I tried online mode...well I tried to try : I am disconnected few seconds after login in. I can only use my phone for wifi. My connection speed is 2,5 Mbps reception and 1,5 Mbps sending. Do you guys think it is not enough? Right now I am disappointed because it seems I won't be able to play Spkatoon online :-((

Ninja Dom

Wait. You can keep hitting the item button to get more boost from the plant...

So many hours into the WiiU version and I never knew this.

In the item box for the Boomerang, Fire Flower and the Piranha Plant you will see a white circle that continually counts down. The more you use the items the quicker it counts down.

Was also in the Wii U version.

Chucker

Bless Smart Steering. My 6 year old has been playing this and I haven't heard any yelling or frustrated noises. She might not be using a inside drifting bike yet, but this is a start.

How the fuck are you supposed to fucking drift in this mode without crashing into the motherfucking walls continuously

Tips for 200cc

• Brake to make your turns much tighter, sometimes you want to hold this for almost the entire drift
  • Use the more manoeuvrable vehicles and lighter characters, max out the handling, or close to it. It helps a lot in tighten your drifts and turns
  • Prepare for the next turn, think about where you want to be to start the next drift and get ready for that as you move through the turn before
  • Use trick types to position yourself in the air (left/right/neutral) these can help you prepare for the next turn
  • You don't always have to do a trick or charge to the highest level of boost, sometimes preparing for the next turn is more important, sometimes these tricks, or an extra charge of boost, will make you fall off, or head into the next turn at the wrong angle

Firebrand

Do boosts stack? Or is using drift boost / boost pad / mushrooms on top of eachother a waste?

holy fuck. HD rumble in this game is awesome

It's neat that you feel rumble from different parts of the joycons, but I can't really say it signals anything more than "something happened".

And yeah, it'd also be nice if there was some light rumble for the road surface to feel traction.

Charamiwa

Banned
Oh my god Rainbow Road on 200cc is really pure skill. The brakes are so important during drifts, it's like a different way to play the game. Going for the 3 stars in each cup, it's intense man.

Camjo-Z

Surprisingly the best new feature of this for me is the auto-acceleration. I've been playing Ridge Racer 3D the past few days and kept thinking "man it's annoying to always have to have a button held at all times in these racing games even though you barely ever let go of it", and what do you know, they've finally fixed it here. Sometimes I turn it back on for that authentic feel but I've been quite content to just let it do its thing, especially nice in 200cc where you can focus entirely on the brakes with your right thumb.

So annoying that Amazon screwed up my delivery. All day yesterday (even after midnight!) it was saying it would arrive by 8pm on April 28th, but now without any notice or message it's been pushed to April 30th.

I wish I could be playing with you all right now... Definitely a teensy bit tempted to buy digital and cancel my Amazon order, though I did buy it with a gift card...

Kinsei

Banned
I got the gold kart! I think I'll do the time trials before going for Gold Mario.

The ink in the Splatoon battle map actually changes the color of your wheels. That's some really nice detail.

The game is stellar but it lack a proper tutorial. Yes i know you have an help section but a tutorial would be great.

This is only really an issue on the Deluxe version. On the Wii U, the hardest courses and engine sizes were locked, so the game eased you into the game via unlocks. You were strongly encouraged to start at 50CC, on the farthest left courses.

I think a new player to the series should start with the bottom left courses, which are the "easy" retro courses. They tend to be much simpler in design, because they're generally from consoles that weren't really that powerful. The Shell Cup is probably the easiest cup in the game.

The cups are generally in order from left to right in how challenging they are. And the engine classes go 50<100<150<Mirror<200 is how challenging they are.

Do you get something for beating the ghosts in TT?

If it's the same as the Wii U version,
Gold Wheels

You also used to get stamps, but those aren't around anymore :(

Stamps were the only reason I'd play characters like Baby Rosalina lol

Having put many hours into MK8 on the WiiU, gotta say it looks superb on the Switch and still as fun as ever. Looks great on my TV and even better on the Switch's screen.

Probably won't ever play it online but the split screen will see a lot of play as usual.

jts

...hate me...
I've pretty much unlocked everything in MK8 but can you remind me if there's stuff unlocking by winning with specific characters or is it just about the coins?

NullMoon

Neo Member
First Mario Kart game since Mario Kart Wii, and let me tell you this game looks and plays phenomenal. My only compliant is the lack of a option menu, made playing in spit screen annoying since you can't change the orientation and i'm really not a fan of the vertical screen, would much prefer to play with a horizontal screen split.

Top Bottom