• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

Question about new stages and such. What items are unlocked by beating the grand prix cc levels? Is this like playing mk8 all over again? I just don't remember everything from Wii u version. Basically what is the new content and how do you get it?
All the new content, and old content for that matter, is unlocked from the start. Characters, levels, and battle mode can be easily accessed with no hassle. The only items you unlock are car parts and
Golden Mario
. The former of which is unlocked through coin collection ala MK8 and the latter is unlocked by
beating every cup in 200cc with a gold medal.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Hmm, my last MK game was MK Wii, and it seems in the time since then I've forgotten how much I dislike the deep unfairness and bullshit that is at the very core of this series. Being punished for performing well, every single race, is simply not fun. I know this is an ancient horse beaten to death a thousand times over, but yeah. I just wish they would dial down this crap a bit. Remove the biggest​ FUCK YOU items (mainly the blue shell), make the item distribution a bit less punishing toward good players, etc. I know someone is gonna say that MK is about having silly fun, and that it isn't even remotely trying to be competitive, and that's obviously true. But then why does it even have ranking points and such? The bullshit level is just too high to make any ranking system mean anything.

It's also a real bummer that there's nothing to work towards in SP mode, no progression toward anything.

Playing against a friend in local wireless was loads of fun, but yeah, not really feeling the SP and online against randoms. I mean, it's still fun, but too often also incredibly frustrating. I should join the GAF tournaments I guess, sounds like fun.

Kinsei

Banned
Hmm, my last MK game was MK Wii, and it seems in the time since then I've forgotten how much I dislike the deep unfairness and bullshit that is at the very core of this series. Being punished for performing well, every single race, is simply not fun. I know this is an ancient horse beaten to death a thousand times over, but yeah. I just wish they would dial down this crap a bit. Remove the biggest​ FUCK YOU items (mainly the blue shell), make the item distribution a bit less punishing toward good players, etc. I know someone is gonna say that MK is about having silly fun, and that it isn't even remotely trying to be competitive, and that's obviously true. But then why does it even have ranking points and such? The bullshit level is just too high to make any ranking system mean anything.

It's also a real bummer that there's nothing to work towards in SP mode, no progression toward anything.

Playing against a friend in local wireless was loads of fun, but yeah, not really feeling the SP and online against randoms. I should join the GAF tournaments I guess, sounds like fun.

Mk8 is one of the least punishing games for good players. You don't start getting fucked until you drop into third or fourth.

From MK Wii to MK8, they did all of this. Well they didn't outright remove the blue shell, but they did include an item to destroy it.

Honestly, and I don't mean this to sound like "git gud", but if you're good enough, you win most of the time.

olimpia84

Played this for about 4 hours last night with friends online. So much fun and yes, this is the best Mario Kart game ever made.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Track knowledge > everything else.

You might still get some unfair losses, but skilled players will consistently rank much higher. And taking a few crazy losses is part of the fun.

//DEVIL//

I give up being first in 200cc. These assholes are more brutal than playing online with normal people. It's like their job is shit on you with stuff till you become last and then if there is a way to run over your face, they will .

Any tips to finish it ? Who did you choose and what is the car/wheel/

Bii

Anyone else having issues with the Wireless play? We had three Switches (one docked, one handheld and one tabletop) and were within a few feet of one another, yet we kept getting disconnected. :(

We opted using the Online Friends mode where the connection via Wi-Fi was more stable.

69wpm

Getting hit with a blue shell in 1st then getting hit by every item coming past is one of the worst feelings in all gaming

Yeah, happened to me, too. Was first and finished 6th after people decided: It’s payback time, baby. It was also impossible to get back to 1st place because I kept getting freaking bananas.

Kinsei

Banned
I give up being first in 200cc. These assholes are more brutal than playing online with normal people. It's like their job is shit on you with stuff till you become last and then if there is a way to run over your face, they will .

Any tips to finish it ? Who did you choose and what is the car/wheel/

My go to 200cc combo is Villager + P Wing + Leaf Tires + Standrad Glider.

KingBroly

Banned
Some courses are PAINFULLY not made with 200cc in mind. That's what makes the 200cc GP's brutal.

- Cheese Land
- Neo Bowser City
- Wario's Gold Mine
- Yoshi's Circuit GC
- Dragon Driftway
- Cloudtop Cruise
- Rainbow Road
- etc.

All a massacre on my right hand because I have to grip the controller so tight. Ow. You also have to be damn near perfect to beat 200cc, which doesn't help. The DAMN INKLING BOY always comes in 2nd unless you screw its' AI up badly on the final turn/stretch.

At least I only have the Crossing and Bell Cups to go now.

Berordn

Anyone else having issues with the Wireless play? We had three Switches (one docked, one handheld and one tabletop) and were within a few feet of one another, yet we kept getting disconnected. :(

We opted using the Online Friends mode where the connection via Wi-Fi was more stable.

I was noticing this with the a docked Switch. We'd keep losing connection with the docked one but the others would stay connected to each other.

Undocked we all had no issues.

What about the new courses... are those only for battle mode?

The only new courses are the 8 battle arenas. Everything else was either in the base Wii U game or DLC.

edbrat

Some courses are PAINFULLY not made with 200cc in mind. That's what makes the 200cc GP's brutal.

- Cheese Land
- Neo Bowser City
- Wario's Gold Mine
- Yoshi's Circuit GC
- Dragon Driftway
- Cloudtop Cruise
- Rainbow Road
- etc.

All a massacre on my right hand because I have to grip the controller so tight. Ow. You also have to be damn near perfect to beat 200cc, which doesn't help. The DAMN INKLING BOY always comes in 2nd unless you screw its' AI up badly on the final turn/stretch.

At least I only have the Crossing and Bell Cups to go now.

have you tried auto accelerate? Can focus on braking only with your thumb, much easier on my hands I found.

Machina

Banned
Yeah, happened to me, too. Was first and finished 6th after people decided: It’s payback time, baby. It was also impossible to get back to 1st place because I kept getting freaking bananas.

What gets me about it though is it wouldn't be anywhere near as frustrating if the item chance percentages for first place weren't so strident. I'm not talking about for race changing items like Bullet Bill or the special 8 either. You should NOT get those if you're in first, but at least a slightly higher chance of SOMETHING that you might find strategically useful like a shell to shield yourself at least once or even the Star/Shockwave horn so you can at least have a chance to defend yourself against the blue shell.

KingBroly

Banned
have you tried auto accelerate? Can focus on braking only with your thumb, much easier on my hands I found.

I had honestly thought about it so I could just focus on everything else, but I'm hesitant because I don't know how it affects everything else.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Wow, how are so many of you able to play online without a hitch? I've only been able to get into one match out of like 20 I've tried. Either get some sort of connection error or the game freezes and I have to restart.

Crayon

I bought and tried this game last nite. Do I have to get hit by 2 blue shells every race or is there any way to defend myself?

edbrat

I had honestly thought about it so I could just focus on everything else, but I'm hesitant because I don't know how it affects everything else.

takes a few races to get used to but now I can never go back. No downside from what I can see. Being able to concentrate on braking is a game changer at 200.

69wpm

What gets me about it though is it wouldn't be anywhere near as frustrating if the item chance percentages for first place weren't so strident. I'm not talking about for race changing items like Bullet Bill or the special 8 either. You should NOT get those if you're in first, but at least a slightly higher chance of SOMETHING that you might find strategically useful like a shell to shield yourself at least once or even the Star/Shockwave horn so you can at least have a chance to defend yourself against the blue shell.

I agree. I've lost countless matches because I got nothing but coins and a few bananas or a green shell once in a while. Sometimes you can block a red shell in very tight corners or if it hits a tree or something like that but that is very rare and depends on your position on the map.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Getting hit with a blue shell in 1st then getting hit by every item coming past is one of the worst feelings in all gaming

Yep. It's almost never just the blue shell, you're gonna get hit by a red and green one too before you finally find yourself in 10th place instead of 1st. Sigh...

From MK Wii to MK8, they did all of this. Well they didn't outright remove the blue shell, but they did include an item to destroy it.

Honestly, and I don't mean this to sound like "git gud", but if you're good enough, you win most of the time.

The horn, yes? Sure, but that seems pretty rare as well? Most of the time I seem to just get coins when in first. And even when I do have the horn, how do I (and this probably IS a "git gud" thing) know when to use it? I see the blue shell icon, but that doesn't tell me how close it is...? So how do I time it correctly?

I agree. I’ve lost countless matches because I got nothing but coins and a few bananas or a green shell once in a while. Sometimes you can block a red shell in very tight corners or if it hits a tree or something like that but that is very rare and depends on your position on the map.
You can use bananas to shield yourself from shells.

I've played about 20 races online and my best finish is 9th. My ranking points is down to 930. Lol. First Mario Kart since N64. Much practice, I need.

Machina

Banned
Yep. It's almost never just the blue shell, you're gonna get hit by a red and green one too before you finally find yourself in 10th place instead of 1st. Sigh...

The horn, yes? Sure, but that seems pretty rare as well? Most of the time I seem to just get coins when in first. And even when I do have the horn, how do I (and this probably IS a "git gud" thing) know when to use it? I see the blue shell icon, but that doesn't tell me how close it is...? So how do I time it correctly?

Exactly plus whatever schmuck who's got a piranha, star or bullet bill is probably gonna take a swipe at you as well just to rub it in

TirMcGrey

Looking at all the amiibo skins made me realize I have at least a combination of one of those and have that entire customization open to me.

I had a big problem with those things the first few months

jts

...hate me...
I bought and tried this game last nite. Do I have to get hit by 2 blue shells every race or is there any way to defend myself?

The super horn is the only item that can effectively block/destroy a blue shell. Other than that, just avoid being 1st I guess 😅

Playing against a friend in local wireless was loads of fun, but yeah, not really feeling the SP and online against randoms. I mean, it's still fun, but too often also incredibly frustrating. I should join the GAF tournaments I guess, sounds like fun.

If you're getting frustrated you should definitely not join the GAF tournament. It's sobering. Have to race some randoms again to re-build my ego.

There is of course a significant amount of luck in MK but also a significant amount of skill. I'm generally top three in pub games online, I don't think I've placed in the top half of any race in the GAF tourney and have brought up the rear more often than not.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The super horn is the only item that can effectively block/destroy a blue shell. Other than that, just avoid being 1st I guess 😅

This sounds like a joke, but it's true. You're more likely to win if you stay around 2nd-3rd. The only way you're winning if you get hit by a blue shell is if you have a MASSIVE lead, and that doesn't really happen online.

Crayon

I agree. I’ve lost countless matches because I got nothing but coins and a few bananas or a green shell once in a while. Sometimes you can block a red shell in very tight corners or if it hits a tree or something like that but that is very rare and depends on your position on the map.

I'm not impressed with the item and combat balance in general. Feels like mk64 in that sense. The handling and control is the best I've ever seen of Mario kart but when the outcome of races is essentially random I can't see how this could hold my interest. I'll keep with it for a bit and see if it clicks.

This sounds like a joke, but it's true. You're more likely to win if you stay around 2nd-3rd. The only way you're winning if you get hit by a blue shell is if you have a MASSIVE lead, and that doesn't really happen online.

Yes it does.

It doesn't happen in SP above 50. There is of course heavy item distribution weighting online but there is no rubber banding for the cars.

Kinsei

Banned

Mushrooms work and if you're near a ledge then you can fall off the track (It's faster than getting hit by the blue shell).

Top Bottom