• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

Biske

Auto acceleration is so awesome. It feels weird at first but this is so much fun and comfortable.

Yeah. I was playing with my sister and she was like "my thumb hurts from pressing the button" and I was like... actually yeah, so then we turn it on and damn its awesome. I mean when are you not pressing the button to go? May as well have it automatic, and you can still brake and everything.

Really really changes how comfortable holding the Joy con is. Leagues better.

Crayon

Can't you not achieve the best mini turbo with auto Accel? I woul happily tur in on since there is apoarently no reason to even have a throttle button in this game.

sleepnaught

This is my first Mario Kart game since MK64 and I have to say, Im completely blown away. Tons of beautiful courses, especially Ribbon Road. Just looking at that course gives me high hopes for Odyssey when it comes out. Looks like something straight out of Toy Story.

I can't believe how colorful and sharp the game looks on handheld, can't believe I said bad things about it when I only had Zelda. I'm also getting about 4 hours playtime with full auto brightness and wifi on. Absolute insanity.

What do the stars below the trophies in the cup select menu mean?

First Mario Kart for me since 64 and I like it so far. The amount of blue shells I'm eating is obscene however. That shit can't be right.

What do the stars below the trophies in the cup select menu mean?

First Mario Kart for me since 64 and I like it so far. The amount of blue shells I'm eating is obscene however. That shit can't be right.
You get three stars if you place first on all four races. Two stars if you fall to a second place finish even once. Gotta get all of them for pride and bragging rights.

I'm sitting at a Carmax getting my car appraised. Shits backed up and gonna take a couple hours. I really wish I had brought my Switch...

The Goat

This game is soooo good. Switch is now my favorite console ever, hah. Still struggling to get drifts perfect in 200cc. I'm really not liking having to slow down in corners. That's not the balls-to-the-wall Kart I know and love. Hopefully it's just me, and not a real requirement like the mode says "Braking is crucial!" Fuck that, going as fast as possible trumps everything, lol.

My gf and I were playing split screen in bed last night. Had the Switch propped up on our dogs' ass (he sleeps like a log), it was so awesome. She rarely plays games, but Kart is an exception. She hasn't played Kart since DS, but her muscle memory was strong, hah. Only problem is playing with the Joy cons. I think I need to try the auto acceleration setting.

Leatherface

Battle mode RULES. This game has now just become the most perfect kart racer of all time. 🙌
Having this portable is unreal. Woo!

This game is soooo good. Switch is now my favorite console ever, hah. Still struggling to get drifts perfect in 200cc. I'm really not liking having to slow down in corners. That's not the balls-to-the-wall Kart I know and love. Hopefully it's just me, and not a real requirement like the mode says "Braking is crucial!" Fuck that, going as fast as possible trumps everything, lol.

Breaking does seem crucial in 200cc, but remember you can brake while drifting now and still boost around the corners.

Love the game so far. Last one I played was Mario Kart on the Wii. The game looks amazing it runs perfectly and gives me maximum stress and frustration when I lose my place.

My husband and I had a few beers and played last evening and as he started getting sleepy and passing out ( as he does when gets sleepy in general, alcohol or not) I turned on auto drive and auto accelerate and he was able to continue to play with me for longer than usual.

Fucking hilarious, I love it.

Coffinhal

Found this on Reddit :

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/685jyw/the_magic_of_mario_karts_auto_drivesteer/

Accessibility is really important for both people not used to video games and disabled people. Doesn't break anything for gamers. Should be mandatory and includes all kind of handicaps (colorblind disability for instance).

I have 3 kids ages 7, 4 and 3. The 7 year old is capable of playing the game normally and the 3 year can't really play, but likes to hold the controller and push the buttons. However, my 4 year old had a stroke just after she was born and her right side is not coordinated enough to hold the controller in a way that really allows her to play with us. Well, thanks to Mario Kart's new Auto Drive feature, she can now steer with her left hand and let the game drive for her or vice versa. I'm sure this feature will be an annoyance to many, but for my daughter, who would otherwise not really be able to participate, it is the best feature ever added to a Mario Kart game. She is currently sitting in my living with my other 2 kids and my wife and all of them are playing Mario Kart and laughing their heads off. This is truly a day I won't forget thanks to Nintendo.

TL;DR: My daughter had a stroke just after she was born, but thanks to the Auto Drive/Steer features she is able to play with me and the rest of my family. Thanks Nintendo!

This is my first Mario Kart game since MK64 and I have to say, Im completely blown away. Tons of beautiful courses, especially Ribbon Road. Just looking at that course gives me high hopes for Odyssey when it comes out. Looks like something straight out of Toy Story.

I can't believe how colorful and sharp the game looks on handheld, can't believe I said bad things about it when I only had Zelda. I'm also getting about 4 hours playtime with full auto brightness and wifi on. Absolute insanity.

Same here, finally started playing now. Going from n64 is overwhelming, and it looks AMAZING

Agree about Odyssey, should be great, will probably be my next switch game unless they announce more first party before then

Anyone else having a hard time staying connected online? I either get kicked from the lobby or while in the middle of the race.

Edit: Finished my first online race, got only coins for the last 3 boxes I hit up. Fuck from 1st to 3rd after getting hit by a red shell and a music box

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Trying out 200cc Grand Prix for the first time. Seems tapping B while drifting is enough to keep the Kart in line. Very fun, I swear red shells can't keep up!

Mudron

Dumb question, but does waggling the thumb stick still cause boosts to build up faster when drifting?

I still do it compulsively after spending so much time doing it in previous Mario Karts, but I can't tell if waggling does much in MK8 Deluxe.

Blackthorn

Dumb question, but does waggling the thumb stick still cause boosts to build up faster when drifting?

I still do it compulsively after spending so much time doing it in previous Mario Karts, but I can't tell if waggling does much in MK8 Deluxe.
Nope, only tightening the angle of the drift speeds up the boost build up.

Mudron

Trying out 200cc Grand Prix for the first time. Seems tapping B while drifting is enough to keep the Kart in line. Very fun, I swear red shells can't keep up!

Oh yeah, the in-game tip about surviving 200cc ain't kidding when it suggests braking with B as often as possible on turns. I find myself flying off the track in even the mildest turns while racing as Isabelle (with her slow put-put Animal Crossing scooter) if I'm not jamming in the B button the whole time during 200cc races.

Blackthorn

So the tighter your drift, the faster you build up to the next boost level? Just holding the stick inwards gives max boost?
Yeah so you want to angle yourself to be able to take corners as tight as possible.
Oh yeah, the in-game tip about surviving 200cc ain't kidding when it suggests braking with B as often as possible on turns. I find myself flying off the track in even the mildest turns while racing as Isabelle (with her slow put-put Animal Crossing scooter) if I'm not jamming in the B button the whole time during 200cc races.
It's tough but I'm enjoying it, adds another layer of depth that's VERY unusual for Mario Kart.

mStudios

Wait. There's a GAF discord? I don't see it on the OP.

7Q64QYF.png

Top Bottom