• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

Zia

I can't think of anything more American than having two item-less players in front of you yet throwing a red shell to hit the player behind you.

Fuck you too, buddy.

Ogodei

Finally got my first second place finish in 150cc. This still seems very easy to me. Wish i could look up my commentary on Mario Kart 8 to see if i felt like 150cc was this easy back then too, but i was on different sites in 2014.

Betty

Banned
How do you get the pink flame? It seems like no matter how long I drift, it doesn't go beyond orange.

Just gotta keep drifting real long, make sure you don't have any assists on like smart steering or auto-accelerate or it'll be disabled I think.

Oreoleo

Can someone verify something for me? Playing with the pro controller, certain types of rumble are causing a noise to come from the controller. When I get a coin, it's guaranteed to make the noise. Mute your sound because it's not very loud, but it's audible for me. Just trying to see if my controller is making noises it shouldn't.

Yes, "HD rumble" can be used as a sort of primitive speaker (Though I think the rumble in the Switch controllers might be a little underpowered to really utilize it as such). Check out what the Steam controller can do with its haptic rumble (there's no speaker on the controller) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1dWJ2fPL1U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI6bZZSf-zM

guek

Banned
Falling in love with this game for the second time has been wonderful. I put about 100hrs into the first and then didn't touch it again, I expect I'll at least do the same here but with the benefit of busting it out when traveling or with the nephews. Good times. GOAT kart racer.

bonesquad

Sigh. Earlier this evening I was doing ok. Being able to hit the middle of the pack and a bit higher. Then other players showed up and reminded me where i belong. Back to last place for me!

Exentryk

Sigh. Earlier this evening I was doing ok. Being able to hit the middle of the pack and a bit higher. Then other players showed up and reminded me where i belong. Back to last place for me!

If you stick with these same players, your improvement in a few weeks will be amazing!

The GAF Battle Mode needs to be Bobomb Blast only.

ckfy63a

I bought the original game day one on Wii U, yet I've been enjoying this Deluxe port since Friday as if it's a brand new package. Really hope we get more DLC cups as opposed to a brand new game down the line on NS though; with all the content MK8D has to offer, it's hard to imagine a Mario Kart from the ground up on NS that tops this one. 48 tracks out of the box? Come on.

I like how the extra item box seems to have adjustested the item rates. I feel like I see the horn and blue shell both much more often. May just be placebo though.

Although im sad there is no button to switch between the 2 items.

Egg0

Banned
Just got a digital copy today. I haven't played a MK since 64 and haven't liked a cart racer since CTR. Played a handful of races in single player and I'm still getting my bearings. It looks gorgeous and plays really well.

Looking forward to playing online and in the gaf servers.

Add me if you'd like. Friend code: SW-7448-0402-4516.

Literally the only reason I stop playing is to do work/school stuff. In a world without responsibilities, Mario Kart may in fact be the only game I'd never get tired of.

Does the game still feel fresh for those of you who already played the Wii U version? This is all new to me, and In having an absolute blast.

Exentryk

Literally the only reason I stop playing is to do work/school stuff. In a world without responsibilities, Mario Kart may in fact be the only game I'd never get tired of.

Does the game still feel fresh for those of you who already played the Wii U version? This is all new to me, and In having an absolute blast.

Most of the vets here have over 500 hours on the Wii U version (Merrick might be 1000+), and are going to be getting this Switch version (or already have). So yeah, the game has that charm and lure! But mostly it's the salt!

Trying to stalk my friend into public games but keep getting error messages. Never had this many issues on the Wii U version. Nintendo pls add a party system

I picked it up for the wii u last summer randomly one afternoon and hardly played it. It just never really grabbed me. I snagged for the switch with intentions of playing here and there BUT LET ME TELL YOU--This game has consumed me all weekend totally unexpectedly!

Anyone else still think that Mario Kart 8 Balloon Battle is garbage? The fact that there isn't an option for classic elimination style Balloon Battle is BS. This game is otherwise great but I feel like Double Dash was the last entry to do battle mode right (though my memory could be a little off).

Protein

Banned
Is it me or does the AI go out of its way to fuck you when you're playing with a friend? I feel like I'll be dancing between 1st and 2nd comfortably, while my girlfriend will get annihilated by shells over and over till she's trying to claw her way out from the bottom of the barrel at 8th place. When she's at the top, I'm the one that's fucked. What gives? We're both pretty good Mario Kart players.

RedFox85

Wasn't sure if I should post this in the Switch OT or here but I saw this on the front page and wanted to share this story with fellow GAF members. I had to work overtime today at work and I decided to bring the switch + Mario Kart 8D with me to pass time on my breaks and lunch, which is something I also did with Zelda and something I honestly thought I would NOT use the switch for. I have been proven wrong on just how fantastic this thing is as a hand held, I have owned 3ds's and DS's an VITA's and PSP's and I don't think I ever brought those to work more than a small handful of times but I LOVE taking the switch with me. So as I was setting up to play Mario Kart this guy at another table came over and asked "what is that?" I told him it was the new Nintendo and he started asking questions about it and telling me how he was sort of a lapsed gamer (in his mid to late 40's) and hasn't really kept up with the hobby but had allot of nostalgia for Nintendo and Mario Kart.

After talking for a minute or two I looked at him and said, "you wanna play?" and he kind of lit up and said "Sure! You don't mind?" but when I took out the kickstand, took off the controllers he had this look of bewilderment that was pretty hilarious and I explained to him that I meant play two player to which he exclaims "Wait you can do that?" it was pretty funny and honestly this whole story sounds like something out of some stupid Nintendo PR video or case of use scenario but yes it happened just like this. For the rest of the break and at lunch / other break periods he always showed back up to play more. He actually beat me which I am not ashamed to admit and walked away from the whole experience saying that he wants to buy one. He took a picture of the console and sent it to his Son who immediately replied, "I WANT ONE" it was pretty funny. I felt like one of those people at Best Buy running a demo for a Sony or Nintendo product for the public, answering questions and showing off features.

I just thought it was really cool that this device and this game in particular (Mario Kart) were able to fulfill something that many of us (myself included) thought of as a BS marketing point. When I saw people playing the switch in table top mode in trailers/advertisements I just kind of laughed and said "nobody is going to do that crap!" but today I was proven wrong and I liked the fact that I was proven wrong. I also found it funny that this dude with rather large hands didn't once complain about the controller, I asked him about it and he said "you know we are so used to playing games on phones and tiny touch screens, no this doesn't really bother me." which I hadn't considered.

TL;DR Mario Kart is AWESOME the multiplayer is fun and the switch is the perfect platform to get people interested. The availability of MULTIPLAYER anywhere with anyone is huge and should not be shrugged off.

Is it me or does the AI go out of its way to fuck you when you're playing with a friend? I feel like I'll be dancing between 1st and 2nd comfortably, while my girlfriend will get annihilated by shells over and over till she's trying to claw her way out from the bottom of the barrel at 8th place. When she's at the top, I'm the one that's fucked. What gives? We're both pretty good Mario Kart players.

I've encountered this too. The AI chooses a player to dunk on for a race and leaves the other alone. It's super weird.

boxter432

Well also when you are in 5-10th you are usually in the pack where everyone is getting wheels and bullets and fireballs and it's mayhem.

Protein

Banned
I've encountered this too. The AI chooses a player to dunk on for a race and leaves the other alone. It's super weird.
I knew it. Nintendo better patch this.

What's the point of this anyway? We've rarely raced neck-and-neck because the computer decides it wants to cockslap one of us to the back of the line and keep us there.

Top Bottom