• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Daredevil S2 *Spoiler Thread* |OT| Elektra Boogaloo - March 18th on Netflix

I was reading through the thread last night after finishing the last episode and I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who was disappointed Frank didn't use the minigun at the end. It was in the teaser!

neorej

ERMYGERD!
No fucking way.
This guy doesn't seem like a mastermind, and what, the whole goddamn Yakuza with all their money and ninjas and Nobu couldn't find him but a Karen Page could?
No, this can't be.

When she found him, she wasn't looking for Blacksmith, she was looking for Schoonover.

No fucking way.
This guy doesn't seem like a mastermind, and what, the whole goddamn Yakuza with all their money and ninjas and Nobu couldn't find him but a Karen Page could?
No, this can't be.
The Triads were kind of looking for him, not the Yakuza.

LordRaptor

Why were they collecting blood? It looked like they were feeding it to something inside that coffin thing but next thing we know it's empty and Elektra is being placed in it.

They weren't just collecting it, they were pumping it back into the people with unidentifiable additives.
I said upthread, my theory is IGH = MCU MGH, and this is how they manufacture it, basically using humans as microbreweries

DeathyBoy

Banned
No fucking way.
No, this can't be.

Huh?

The Yakuza/Hand/Nobu didn't give a fuck about The Blacksmith. Madame Gao, part of a different crime family, sort of cared - but as she showed in S1, she doesn't really give a fuck about drugs. They're just games for her.

So why exactly did the colonel go to the court to help Frank?
If he wanted to "close the loop" he could have just said No and had him executed.

Also are those Ninjas zombies or did they have surgeries to make their heart stop? But they still breathe every now and then???

tumblr_m092f2aDf61qjmdhho1_250.gif

etta

my hard graphic balls
When she found him, she wasn't looking for Blacksmith, she was looking for Schoonover.
Exactly, a mastermind like Blacksmith wouldn't even let it unfold like that by accident.
How did this guy take over the entire city's organised crime but fail to predict that he could be discovered by his association?
Fuck, this is depressing. A really leaky plot hole.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
If he wanted to "close the loop" he could have just said No and had him executed.

Also are those Ninjas zombies or did they have surgeries to make their heart stop? But they still breathe every now and then???

Being one of the survivors of a mission Frank received a medal for, it would be suspicious to not provide a statement as a characterwitness. He needs as little attention to his person as he can.

Ninja are trained in concealing their heartbeat. It beats, but very slowly/silently. They still breath, because, well, you need oxygen.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Exactly, a mastermind like Blacksmith wouldn't even let it unfold like that by accident.
How did this guy take over the entire city's organised crime but fail to predict that he could be discovered by his association?
Fuck, this is depressing. A really leaky plot hole.

Page was in a very unique situation where she had information on Frank and Schoonover, the Dogs of Hell, the Irish and the Kartel did not have this information.

Sblargh

Banned

My bet is that they are dead already so superheroes can kill them without being killers. The oldest trick in the book.

Being one of the survivors of a mission Frank received a medal for, it would be suspicious to not provide a statement as a characterwitness. He needs as little attention to his person as he can.

Ninja are trained in concealing their heartbeat. It beats, but very slowly/silently. They still breath, because, well, you need oxygen.

But didn't he say they all survived the mission? Maybe tell a story that doesn't really help his case or something.

Also what was up with the autopsy scar on the ninjas then?

etta

my hard graphic balls
Page was in a very unique situation where she had information on Frank and Schoonover, the Dogs of Hell, the Irish and the Kartel did not have this information.
Hmmmm, true. But this Colonel Schnoover still didn't strike me as some mastermind capable of doing any of that stuff that Blacksmith did. Maybe just really bad acting in the end. Did Frank even force him to say he got his family and kids killed? I don't remember Frank even acknowledging he was about to kill the man who killed his kids.

DeathyBoy

Banned

He went to the court to help Frank because they wanted us to think Clancy Brown was a nice man. It was a red herring. The problem with Red Herrings is that Clancy Brown is a shark, and you can't tell us he's not a shark because the dude is so good at playing evil that whenever I see him I'm all 'HOLY SHIT, CLANCY'S GONNA BROWN SOMEONE UP.'

neorej

ERMYGERD!
But didn't he say they all survived the mission? Maybe tell a story that doesn't really help his case or something.

Also what was up with the autopsy scar on the ninjas then?

They all survived the mission, that's why he got a Navy Cross. The story he told was a direct answer to the question "why did Frank Castle get a Navy Cross?". What story was he supposed to tell? "Frank Castle got his Navy Cross, the second highest commendation in the US military, for murdering a village of elderly, children and women in an efficient way like the psycho he is."? Any other story but a heroic one would be suspicious.

I have no idea why them ninjas have autopsy scars. And hell, maybe they ARE actual zombie-ninjas. All I know is that certain martial arts are capable of lowering the heartbeat to a point where a medical examiner will monitor your pulse and consider you dead.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Hmmmm, true. But this Colonel Schnoover still didn't strike me as some mastermind capable of doing any of that stuff that Blacksmith did. Maybe just really bad acting in the end. Did Frank even force him to say he got his family and kids killed? I don't remember Frank even acknowledging he was about to kill the man who killed his kids.

That's probably the acting. Dude managed to pull in metric tons of heroin, maybe through military channels. You don't need to be a criminal mastermind to move drugs around, as long as you take certain precautions.

I mean, there's a chemistry-teacher who rises to become a druglord in a matter of months and is untouchable, just because the cops aren't looking in the right direction.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Which is kinda funny since out of the small amount of actors I've met he was by far the friendliest. I love to see him pop up in movies and shows.

By all accounts Brown and Michael Ironside are lovely, lovely chaps. They're just tremendous at playing bad guys. John Glover's the same.

etta

my hard graphic balls
That's probably the acting. Dude managed to pull in metric tons of heroin, maybe through military channels. You don't need to be a criminal mastermind to move drugs around, as long as you take certain precautions.

I mean, there's a chemistry-teacher who rises to become a druglord in a matter of months and is untouchable, just because the cops aren't looking in the right direction.

I guess, so it was probably just the bad acting (when he was found out as Blacksmith, because he was pretty good as Colonel Schnoover) and the lack of absolute confirmation on Frank's part when he killed him that threw me off.

ZeroX03

Banned
The "Blacksmith" reveal was vague enough that they could retcon it to someone else. They were purposely loose on details at the end of Punisher's arc, I'm guessing to set up future arcs/spin-off.

cereal_killerxx

I just finished the season. Here are my thoughts.

+Better pacing than season 1
+Multiple story arcs that all worked
+Punisher/Electra performances were incredible
+Karen has become a very likable character
+More tidbits to Karen's past
+DAT HALLWAY FIGHT
+DAT PRISON FIGHT
+Tie-in to Jessica Jones

-Shut up Foggy
-Matt/Electra on again, off again romance

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I guess, so it was probably just the bad acting (when he was found out as Blacksmith, because he was pretty good as Colonel Schnoover) and the lack of absolute confirmation on Frank's part when he killed him that threw me off.

Frank doesn't need absolute confirmation. He'll kill someone on a hunch. Just prior to killing Schoonover, he was ready to kill someone posing as The Blacksmith on that boat before Daredevil intervened.

Amazing season, loved nearly every second.

This was one of my highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28oQ3IPYzyg

Dude is so fucking good as Punisher.

God, that scene reminded me so much of A Few Good Men.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FnO3igOkOk

etta

my hard graphic balls
Frank doesn't need absolute confirmation. He'll kill someone on a hunch. Just prior to killing Schoonover, he was ready to kill someone posing as The Blacksmith on that boat before Daredevil intervened.

Yea but remember how he kept asking that poser to admit he killed Frank's family and stuff?

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Yea but remember how he kept asking that poser to admit he killed Frank's family and stuff?

That's not looking for confirmation. He knows as well as any that a confession under distress is no confession at all. Frank acknowledges it to DD: "you couldn't give me one second of peace?"

What I can't make sense is how this season tells that black sky is one and only it's actuall Elektra while in first season, a black sky was killed by Stick.

Nobu referred to "another Black Sky" and its rarity, confirming that the Black Sky killed by Stick is not the only one in existence.

kris.

Banned
loved this season. only question is why DD refused to believe the Hand were supernatural in any way. this all happened after the Avengers formed and the entire world knows that there's weird supernatural shit out there now, so why is it a stretch to believe that there are mystical ninjas capable of defying death?

Sephzilla

loved this season. only question is why DD refused to believe the Hand were supernatural in any way. this all happened after the Avengers formed and the entire world knows that there's weird supernatural shit out there now, so why is it a stretch to believe that there are mystical ninjas capable of defying death?

Not to mention season 2 is post-Killgrave from Jessica Jones

DeathyBoy

Banned
That's not looking for confirmation. He knows as well as any that a confession under distress is no confession at all. Frank acknowledges it to DD: "you couldn't give me one second of peace?"

Nobu referred to "another Black Sky" and its rarity, confirming that the Black Sky killed by Stick is not the only one in existence.

Okay, so...

When Elektra is a child Stick takes her from The Hand and tries training her with The Chaste. Only The Chaste dude is all 'bro, no.' So Elektra almost kills Teen Fabio and Chaste dude is all 'LIL PRINCESS, PLS.' Then Teen Fabio tries shivving her, and Elektra kills him. Teen Fabio isn't blamed by Ringo Starr for trying to shive a pre-teen, and Starr wants Elektra to leave.

So Stick kills Ringo Starr and takes Elektra to Greece to live with a couple who can't have kids, because he doesn't want her to become a candidate for Black Sky. Elektra does stuff for a while, as Stick trains Matthew. Stick ditches Matthew because he's sick of buying fucking ice cream. Elektra and Matthew meet at college, have sex. They differ on whether killing mobsters is right, or beaten them bloody is a more effective deterrant.

Both leave before the police can let them know both are technically crimes, also the
man Matthew beat up has post concussion stress syndrome. So Matthew becomes Daredevil and Stick returns and Stick kills a boy who is Black Sky. Only Elektra is Black Sky. No, wait, we haven't been told that yet. Matthew beats Stick and tells him to GTFO. Stick leaves, but tells someone it's begun. Elektra returns to New York to investigate The Hand/have fake sex with Matt. Stick returns and betrays Elektra almost immediately. He sends an incompetent assassin to kill Elektra. Elektra wants to kill Stick,

Matthew suggests they beat Stick to a bloody pulp. The Hand arrive and choose option 3, kidnapping Stick. At this point they could kidnap Elektra, who's The Black Sky, but take Stick because they want Elektra to come to their base willingly, only it's not willingly because she wants to kill Stick despite it being clear The Hand will kill Stick. Matt and Elektra go to get Stick back, it goes shittily, and later hostages ensue. Nobu somehow kills Elektra, and Matt decides he can beat someone bloody and kill them. So he throws Nobu off a roof. Stick kills Nobu (fire doesn't work but a sword does.) The Hand then put Elektra in a box and bring her back to life.

I think that's the way events went down, right? If so, a few questions.

1) How many Black Sky potentials are there?
2) Why does Stick kill Black Sky potentials if his main goal is stop Elektra becoming Black Sky? Isn't it better that Black Sky be a kid who'll need a decade of training to be as good as Elektra?
3) How does Nobu survive fire and a fall but die when you cut his head off? Is his skin made of steel unless it isn't?
4) Why do The Hand kidnap Stick instead of Elektra? Why does The Hand think Elektra will come and save Stick? Don't they know she wants him dead? If they don't know she wants him dead, do they think she wants him alive? If so, what are they basing this on?
5) Why does Stick betray Elektra and then get angry when she tries to kill him?
6) Why does Stick send an awful assassin after Elektra? She was leaving town. Does he want her to kill him? If so, why?
7) Why do Stick's Agents drive to Matthew? How do they know who Daredevil is? How can they make it that far when they're dying of stab wounds?
8) Nyaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.
9) If The Hand were going to put Black Sky into Elektra, why was Nobu angry when she died? Wouldn't he be happy they could bring her back without her fighting them? Are The Hand idiots? Is Nobu brain damaged?
10) What's in the box?

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces

No they don't. The Avengers haven't fought anything supernatural.

Anyway, like I pointed out earlier in this thread (or the other one?) it's easy to compartmentalize what you want to believe or not believe. Just because aliens exist doesn't mean an ancient order of ninjas found the secret to immortality.

Sephzilla

No they don't. The Avengers haven't fought anything supernatural.

Anyway, like I pointed out earlier in this thread (or the other one?) it's easy to compartmentalize what you want to believe or not believe. Just because aliens exist doesn't mean an ancient order of ninjas found the secret to immortality.

Loki and Scarlet Witch?

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Loki and Scarlet Witch?

I'll concede Loki. SW is just nebulously powered thanks to experiments with the Tesseract.

I know magic exists, but it hasn't had a lot of screen presence yet.

i guess supernatural is a bad way of putting it, though i think in a regular person's eyes Thor and Loki would be supernatural as fuck.

That can be true.

I can understand the position of generally being more open to ideas because aliens poured out of a portal or a robot tried to turn a chunk of earth into a meteor. That might be true for some people, but you can't say that for everyone.

I don't really think DD being closed-minded about the ninjas is really that big a leap.

Well, he's blind so it's not like he could have seen it in the news or something.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Great season, but you could literally remove the Electra/Ninja stuff and shorten it by three episodes and it wouldn't hurt the show at all.

Sblargh

Banned
Great season, but you could literally remove the Electra/Ninja stuff and shorten it by three episodes and it wouldn't hurt the show at all.

Urgh, I think unfortunetly I agree.
I mean, having Matt's night life wrecks his day life is a big part of why this season is good and Elektra is a hell of a enabler, but, eh, I trust a guilty catholic to self-destruct just fine without outside help.

Kin5290

Except they do. Why would they go visit a blind guy otherwise, thinking said blind guy could rescue Stick?
Also I'm pretty sure it's one of those two guys who drove Matt, Stick, and Elektra to Matt's place after Elektra was wounded.

I mean, I think that's true. They were kind of interchangeable white dudes.

Fuchsdh

Also I'm pretty sure it's one of those two guys who drove Matt, Stick, and Elektra to Matt's place after Elektra was wounded.

I mean, I think that's true. They were kind of interchangeable white dudes.

I loved that they get shanked by Elektra not two minutes after being given the super secret scrolls by Stick. Coulda' hustled out that stuff a bit earlier, there, buddy.

(I guess Stick recovered them at some point because they weren't mentioned again.)

dbztrk

This season peaked with the Punisher prison massacre. The repetitive ninja fights ruined the latter parts of the season. I think the final fight with the ninjas would have been better if the Punisher had fought along side Daredevil and Elektra.That would have been much better than what we got.

Also, the ending was very anti-climatic, as we didn't get any answers about what those weird coffins are. It appears that they are trying to build up to something but they are doing is poorly. It just comes off as very boring.

I must say though that Jon Bernthal absolutely killed it in the role of the Punisher. It was like he was born for this. If it wasn't for him, the court stuff, and the return of
Fisk
, this season would have been a dud for me.

I'm a really big DD fan so even though I know the run down of Elektra and Matt's romance, I hate how they betrayed Karen by writing Matt like Elektra's loyal puppy dog and screwing her over.

Matt was willing to uproot his entire life to run off with Elektra and switch whole identities when just a few nights prior, he was touching Karen in the rain and sending her nerves haywire with every touch.

In the comics, he totally fucks her over by cheating on her with Typhoid Mary, but this was just so different, and the show's Matt is markedly different from the comic's version.

I don't know, it just really sucked the life out of the season for me since that was such an exciting and sweet plotline to contrast all the carnage Frank brought, and they just threw it out to pursue the Matt and Elektra romance.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I'm a really big DD fan so even though I know the run down of Elektra and Matt's romance, I hate how they betrayed Karen by writing Matt like Elektra's loyal puppy dog and screwing her over.

Matt was willing to uproot his entire life to run off with Elektra and switch whole identities when just a few nights prior, he was touching Karen in the rain and sending her nerves haywire with every touch.

In the comics, he totally fucks her over by cheating on her with Typhoid Mary, but this was just so different, and the show's Matt is markedly different from the comic's version.

I don't know, it just really sucked the life out of the season for me since that was such an exciting and sweet plotline to contrast all the carnage Frank brought, and they just threw it out to pursue the Matt and Elektra romance.

Well, apparently this season takes place over many, many months. Which I didn't get at all. I think the intent was to have a long period where Nelson/Murdock were split and Karen was off being a journalist, but instead it feels like the season was set over a couple of weeks.

Top Bottom