• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Daredevil S2 *Spoiler Thread* |OT| Elektra Boogaloo - March 18th on Netflix

Matt must have been doing his best to hold back on pounding Fisk during that prison meeting. Didn't want to blow his cover.
Perhaps, but he barely beat Fisk with his suit on last season, and even Punisher backed off after taking shots from him. Fisk hits like a ton of bricks, so far nobody has proven they can handle the punishment he deals out consistently.

Just finished. I loved Electra (though the Hand kind of sucks and she is obviously very tied to it) and Punisher. Daredevil is a sanctimonious, ineffective bore.

Two questions about the show:
- I can't understand what happened to Punisher at the end of Ep3. Daredevil tied him up, walked down the stairs and beat up the Hell's Angels. Next episode he is free. Some summaries I found online say that because of the fight, Daredevil is distracted and Punisher manages to escape. But watching back, I just don't see this happen. I am confused. (not that it matters)
- Is that black stone jar (does anyone know what the characters on it say?) just the regular Hand Resurrection Pod (TM), or more like a secret black sky transformation device? Is the Black Sky a show-specific McGuffin?

Fuchsdh

Just finished. I loved Electra (though the Hand kind of sucks and she is obviously very tied to it) and Punisher. Daredevil is a sanctimonious, ineffective bore.

- I can't understand what happened to Punisher at the end of Ep3. Daredevil tied him up, walked down the stairs and beat up the Hell's Angels. Next episode he is free. Some summaries I found online say that because of the fight, Daredevil is distracted and Punisher manages to escape. But watching back, I just don't see this happen. I am confused. (not that it matters)
- Is that black stone jar (does anyone know what the characters on it say?) just the regular Hand Resurrection Pod (TM), or more like a secret black sky transformation device? Is the Black Sky a show-specific McGuffin?

During the "one take" scene (and it's not one take guys) the camera racks to the lift dropping to the ground floor with the Punisher still out, Daredevil beats the heck out of the remaining guys, and when he goes back to the lift the Punisher is gone.

During the Hell's Satans fight, there is a shot of Frank unconscious in the elevator behind DD. Then when DD sees the elevator is empty, they show the closest door is open. Frank woke up and when DD wasn't paying attention he ran out the door.

Red

Ahah. Sorry guys, I am obviously blind (ah!).

Is Elektra doomed to become an antagonist?

She's definitely set up to cause friction for Matt, but I think if she goes dark side it won't be permanent. Her own arc is all about dealing with her violent urges. I'm sure she eventually redeems herself.

diaspora

Daredevil's grin when he pulls the trigger on the gun Frank taped to his hand in the stairwell and realizes that it was empty since Frank never intended on letting Daredevil shoot him was great. Like it validated what he thought about the Punisher.

Daredevil's grin when he pulls the trigger on the gun Frank taped to his hand in the stairwell and realizes that it was empty since Frank never intended on letting Daredevil shoot him was great. Like it validated what he thought about the Punisher.
Didn't he fire the gun to break free of the chain? He knew it was empty when pointing it at the gang, it was just to get them to back off.

Sorry man, but youre remembering wrong. He was grinning because he tricked the thugs into staying back threatening the guy he was holding.

He fired the shot when he broke the chain that was holding him down on the roof

finished the Season tonight. I like it but not loved it.

Punisher in prison was the best episode, his interection with the Kingpin was great. The whole shiv fest was nasty LOL doles out Punishment

just like when I rooted for Fisk in Season 1, it put a big smile in my face when he rattled Murdoch , I loved it.
tumblr_o4ggii79s01sohofko3_400.gif

tumblr_o4ggii79s01sohofko4_400.gif

just like Kingpin outshined Daredvil in Season 1, the Punisher outshined DD in Season 2

The weirdest part of the Season was the Double Play of having two separate main storylines of Punisher and Elektra on seperate fields.

I would have thought that the Blacksmith would have been connected with the Hand but nah, they decided to go dumb with the Mr. Crab voice actor guy instead

diaspora

Sorry man, but youre remembering wrong. He was grinning because he tricked the thugs into staying back threatening the guy he was holding.

He fired the shot when he broke the chain that was holding him down on the roof

Right, there was only one bullet. Hilarious in retrospect that Frank gave the blind guy a gun.

So why is it that Matt can tell the exact size, shape and contents of a static room or even closed drawer and yet can't track where fucking moving ninjas are because they mask their heartbeats...

Red

So why is it that Matt can tell the exact size, shape and contents of a static room or even closed drawer and yet can't track where fucking moving ninjas are because they mask their heartbeats...
tbf, the paper in that drawer never learned to mask its heartbeat.

jerry113

Banned
Can I just say that I think Kingpin stole the show with his one confrontation with Matt Murdock? Punisher and Elektra are awesome but I've never felt more afraid for Murdock & friend's lives until that

NimbusD

Eh, he was better in S2 I'll give it that.

Also how did he go from being almost broke and barely having enough "resources" to bribe one guard to bribing the entire prison staff?

Yeah just finished this season, it's so chalk full of these types of things where if you think more than two seconds about it, it makes no sense. For instance, the Hand following Murdoch back to his place, then never appearing there again or bothering to find out who he is. Instead their plan is to go after everyone daredevil saved by strong arming the police? Kingpin takes over the prison while broke how? What the fuck did they tell Castle to get him to blow his case, when he shows up he literally has no clue what he's doing there. Kingpin owns the prison so outright that he can just have a prisoner just walk out? But needed to go through all that shit with the Punisher to get rid of the previous 'kingpin'? Yeesh.

Plot lines come up and then fade away just to get you to the next thing. While punisher and elektra where great, each storyline suffered from the other one having nothing to to with the other. People saying they didn't like the end with the Hand, well they weren't really built up any more than when they were first introduced and they're saving any sort of expansion on them for Elektra's series I'm assuming. So the fights at the end are really just fights, there's a bit of interest with the Elektra and Daredevil romance, but you know that's not going anywhere so there's no emotional stakes. I wish they at least played up Matt's insistence on not killing anyone more. In the end, I'm pretty sure he thinks at least he killed Nobu? And then they never mention anything. I have a feeling that they just won't, because that's how this show seems to be operating now.

For the record I thought it was a great show, it had great moments, great fights, great action and atmosphere. But Jesus all the holes in the story and plot really hold it back.Also the back few episodes were wayyyyy better than S1. S1 suffered because daredevil was slowly winning all season. By the end it was just him and Kingpin and they never established kingpin as a physical threat, so how would there be any tension between basically a fat angry guy and a ninja? At least the Hand were a physical threat, if not an emotional one.

I guess my feelings about this season are summed up by when Punisher randomly showed up and shot a few guys on the roof. I went "FUCK YEAH!" and then in a few seconds I went, "Wait...what?"

Blues1990

Yeah just finished this season, it's so chalk full of these types of things where if you think more than two seconds about it, it makes no sense.

Which also brings up the "The Hole" subplot. The show basically abandoned it after two episodes, & unlike Fisk's plan for revenge or Elektra's resurrection, both of which were telegraphed as unresolved loose ends for future seasons, The Hole was abandoned without explanation.

Why did someone dig a big-ass hole in the heart of Hell's Kitchen? How was it done? Magic? Did they carefully & discretely drive all that debris out of the city in dump trucks and dispose of it in a landfill? Did they hit any water pipes on the way down? And what happened to it afterwards? And what is it's significance to the plot? What would happen if urban explorers stumble across it by accident?

Which also brings up the "The Hole" subplot. The show basically abandoned it after two episodes, & unlike Fisk's plan for revenge or Elektra's resurrection, both of which were telegraphed as unresolved loose ends for future seasons, The Hole was abandoned without explanation.

Why did someone dig a big-ass hole in the heart of Hell's Kitchen? How was it done? Magic? Did they carefully & discretely drive all that debris out of the city in dump trucks and dispose of it in a landfill? Did they hit any water pipes on the way down? And what happened to it afterwards? And what is it's significance to the plot? What would happen if urban explorers stumble across it by accident?

I'm guessing it will also be explored in future plotlines. I am also assuming the train full of dirt was from that giant hole.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

I love the show but theres a bunch of plot holes. For example:

5gJI0Be.gif

Loved the first season. Loved the second but that was due to the punisher.

Love the character and the raw revenge he serves.

I thought daredevil not killing anyone was a bit silly to be honest.
They are surrounded by guys who want to kill them and elektra is taking them out and DD beating them to the ground felt off for some reason..

I hope there is more to come for the punisher.

Yeah just finished this season, it's so chalk full of these types of things where if you think more than two seconds about it, it makes no sense. For instance, the Hand following Murdoch back to his place, then never appearing there again or bothering to find out who he is. Instead their plan is to go after everyone daredevil saved by strong arming the police? Kingpin takes over the prison while broke how? What the fuck did they tell Castle to get him to blow his case, when he shows up he literally has no clue what he's doing there. Kingpin owns the prison so outright that he can just have a prisoner just walk out? But needed to go through all that shit with the Punisher to get rid of the previous 'kingpin'? Yeesh.

Plot lines come up and then fade away just to get you to the next thing. While punisher and elektra where great, each storyline suffered from the other one having nothing to to with the other. People saying they didn't like the end with the Hand, well they weren't really built up any more than when they were first introduced and they're saving any sort of expansion on them for Elektra's series I'm assuming. So the fights at the end are really just fights, there's a bit of interest with the Elektra and Daredevil romance, but you know that's not going anywhere so there's no emotional stakes. I wish they at least played up Matt's insistence on not killing anyone more. In the end, I'm pretty sure he thinks at least he killed Nobu? And then they never mention anything. I have a feeling that they just won't, because that's how this show seems to be operating now.

For the record I thought it was a great show, it had great moments, great fights, great action and atmosphere. But Jesus all the holes in the story and plot really hold it back.Also the back few episodes were wayyyyy better than S1. S1 suffered because daredevil was slowly winning all season. By the end it was just him and Kingpin and they never established kingpin as a physical threat, so how would there be any tension between basically a fat angry guy and a ninja? At least the Hand were a physical threat, if not an emotional one.

I guess my feelings about this season are summed up by when Punisher randomly showed up and shot a few guys on the roof. I went "FUCK YEAH!" and then in a few seconds I went, "Wait...what?"

I think that the Hand not just going to his house is indeed weird, but the rest of the plot points seemed to kind of touched upon.

Fisk owned the prison by getting rid of the previous kingpin who owned it. It seems the power does not come from direct bribes.

What they told Frank is probably something like someone in prison has information about what happened to his family. It is not like he has no idea at all.

It's already clear that the staff in the prison there is controlled by the inmates (see all the cell doors being opened on demand). At that point I'm not surprised that they let somebody out. And he did not own the prison before he killed the previous Kingpin so that is why he needed to go through all the effort.

It is very likely for season 3, there is no answer for the children yet either.

But it was revealed at a very weird moment. I think something like this should have been either been revealed in the last episode or something so that it is more clear these are mysteries for the next season.

Loved the first season. Loved the second but that was due to the punisher.

Love the character and the raw revenge he serves.

I thought daredevil not killing anyone was a bit silly to be honest.
They are surrounded by guys who want to kill them and elektra is taking them out and DD beating them to the ground felt off for some reason..

I hope there is more to come for the punisher.

When he is a Catholic and a lawyer it seems like it would be a very contradictory thing for him to kill. I think it makes a lot of sense for him.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
huh, fair enough, I didnt even consider normal reasons for it, I went straight into "he's losing his powers comic book territory" because there was a story in the comics where his powers were all messed up

carry on then

KarmaCow

huh, fair enough, I didnt even consider normal reasons for it, I went straight into "he's losing his powers comic book territory" because there was a story in the comics where his powers were all messed up

carry on then

I'm sorta with you, it was an odd isolated moment for something that should be way more significant. I guess they were doing it show how reckless Matt was getting when he continued to go after the Punisher despite the possibility of his hearing going out again or even worse but I was expecting more.

What's even weirder is there is another moment in the season where he can't hear the Hand ninjas, but that resolved within minutes when Stick tells him to hear their breath, as if that somehow makes it possible to detect a punch (which as the viewer, you could hear them punching and kicking despite the show making it seem like the Hand were moving silently for some reason).

They could have tied those moments together in admittedly already packed season of plotlines but instead it's just a quirk of the episode.

diaspora

I'm sorta with you, it was an odd isolated moment for something that should be way more significant. I guess they were doing it show how reckless Matt was getting when he continued to go after the Punisher despite the possibility of his hearing going out again or even worse but I was expecting more.

What's even weirder is there is another moment in the season where he can't hear the Hand ninjas, but that resolved within minutes when Stick tells him to hear their breath, as if that somehow makes it possible to detect a punch (which as the viewer, you could hear them punching and kicking despite the show making it seem like the Hand were moving silently for some reason).

They could have tied those moments together in admittedly already packed season of plotlines but instead it's just a quirk of the episode.

I think they did it because it was a powerful way of exposing Matt to his own vulnerabilities.

I'm clicking post reply, still haven't finished the 2nd season(On episode 10).

But can I take a moment to just say how damn good Fisks actor is? He's so damn good. So fucking good. I am enthralled when he is in a scene. It's like holy crap, they fucking nailed the casting of him, and the actor nailed the fucking character.

So damn good.

Red

The hearing thing is not a plot hole, but it's weird to bring it up and not do anything with it. He got deaf, then got better. There's no story there. It's not interesting. It doesn't further the plot, doesn't deepen the character. It excites us and preps us for tension (what will he do now! how will he fight crime!) and fails to deliver on that promise. There is no conflict or character growth involved. It's a really strange thing to include.

I got really mad when daredevil wanted to go with elektra, I mean WTF she is a fucking murderer or maybe I think I got mad because I really like karen and Matt together.

Blues1990

I'm clicking post reply, still haven't finished the 2nd season(On episode 10).

But can I take a moment to just say how damn good Fisks actor is? He's so damn good. So fucking good. I am enthralled when he is in a scene. It's like holy crap, they fucking nailed the casting of him, and the actor nailed the fucking character.

So damn good.

I agree on the casting for Wilson Fisk, as Vincent D'Onofrio is the bomb. Even when he's sitting down eating a steak and drinking red wine from a plastic cup, he still comes across as an intimidating, yet imposing, presence. I hope that we get an adaptation of Born Again for Season 3, just to see Fisk rise back to power and make it his mission to destroy Matt Murdock/Daredevil's life, along with Matt's eventual descent into insanity and destitution.

And given that Matt has revealed his identity to Karen, that has to come into play in some fashion.

I liked this season more than S1, but that was mostly due to The Punisher stealing DDsElektra's thunder. He was fantastic.

But I think I've finally had my fill of Karen. It got ridiculous with her being mixed up in every fucking shooting, kidnapping, damsel in distress situation after the Punisher trial.

Also, does this mean we're getting more Foggy on Jessica Jones since he joined the law firm she usually hits up for clues?

jackdoe

The hearing thing is not a plot hole, but it's weird to bring it up and not do anything with it. He got deaf, then got better. There's no story there. It's not interesting. It doesn't further the plot, doesn't deepen the character. It excites us and preps us for tension (what will he do now! how will he fight crime!) and fails to deliver on that promise. There is no conflict or character growth involved. It's a really strange thing to include.
They could have used it as a jumping off point to have Matt learn to use his other senses to track enemy movement which would then lead to a much more satisfactory way to deal with the Hand (other than their exhales).

Supast4r

My favorite scene of season 2 has to be when Fisk is watching the other kingpin die in the hospital. While Fisk is eating his stake he says "everyone deserted you in your time of need but I didn't because you were right there is only room for one kingpin."

SJRB

Gold Member
The last episode wasn't very good, but I enjoyed Season 2 overall. I'm glad they ended it in a melancholy place.

Last episode felt like they ran out of money after the 12th and had to squeeze out one more.

Hostage scene that goes nowhere, a poorly lit rooftop fight, a setup where we literally see 30 ninjas run on the roof and when Matt and Elektra storm out the door there are only like 10. Nobu being a pushover even though he destroyed Matt in S1 and kicked his ass in earlier episodes of the season, Punisher casually appearing, headshotting a guy or two and leaving again.

I like the closure of Matt finally telling Karen that he's DD, but the rest of that ep was pretty iffy.

XAL

I love the show but theres a bunch of plot holes. For example:

5gJI0Be.gif

This would be a plot hole if his super-power was to never get a concussion, he somehow gets a concussion, then all of a sudden he's ok and they never reference it again.

This would be a plot hole if his super-power was to never get a concussion, he somehow gets a concussion, then all of a sudden he's ok and they never reference it again.

Concussion affects your hearing and inner balance; i.e. how Daredevil operates. He was basically deafblind for a while. They could have done a shitty "Where's muh powers" arc, but you know what? It served as a nice reminder of what could happen if Matt goes too far, and his innate vulnerability should he not have his 'gift'.

People complain when things are too spelled out, this was nice and subtle.

Concussion affects your hearing and inner balance; i.e. how Daredevil operates. He was basically deafblind for a while. They could have done a shitty "Where's muh powers" arc, but you know what? It served as a nice reminder of what could happen if Matt goes too far, and his innate vulnerability should he not have his 'gift'.

People complain when things are too spelled out, this was nice and subtle.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I was complaining because, yes, it demonstrates his vulnerability, but vulnerability or his pushing himself too far aren't themes they develop over the course of the season. It isn't a plot hole, but it is poor writing.

Eidan

I can't speak for anyone else, but I was complaining because, yes, it demonstrates his vulnerability, but vulnerability or his pushing himself too far aren't themes they develop over the course of the season. It isn't a plot hole, but it is poor writing.
It's neither. Not everything needs to be an overarching arc.

Top Bottom