• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Daredevil S2 *Spoiler Thread* |OT| Elektra Boogaloo - March 18th on Netflix

Well, apparently this season takes place over many, many months. Which I didn't get at all. I think the intent was to have a long period where Nelson/Murdock were split and Karen was off being a journalist, but instead it feels like the season was set over a couple of weeks.
Wait... what? Really? It felt like two weeks, at most!

Poor pacing if true, worse than TDKR's "5 months in the pit" - even though it felt like a week.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Wait... what? Really? It felt like two weeks, at most!

Poor pacing if true, worse than TDKR's "5 months in the pit" - even though it felt like a week.

The problem is that the scene with Karen's narration takes place at Christmas, I think. But it clearly doesn't start at Christmas.

Quick

Banned
Finished.

Season 2 was great, especially with the introductions of both Punisher and Elektra.

Bernthal was a fantastic Frank Castle, and the best yet. I'm really hoping he gets his own Netflix show, because it would feel like such a waste to let him go after this.

Yung was great as Elektra, with the complexity of her relationship with Matt and her current life playing out pretty well on screen.

The introduction of the supernatural/mystical elements involving The Hand and Nobu were really jarring compared to the grit and realism that the show is based on, but not in a bad way. And it's actually interesting in the way it plays out - "magic" or any of the supernatural stuff isn't explicitly shown, only ever mentioned. Nobu's presence is the only indicator for Matt that there's weird shit going on.

The fight at the end really could've been better, especially when Matt had just described that there is a whole army of the Hand waiting for them in either direction. Budget issue, maybe? For all the great fights shown throughout the season, they didn't pull out all the stops for the final one, I think.

I almost forgot about DD's billy clubs with the retractable line and grapple hook, and it's awesome to see him fully equipped with it.

Karen and Matt was brief, but it felt organic in the way it all played out. The kiss in the rain was some cheese, but I ain't even mad at this. I ate it all up.

Seeds were already planted in season 1 that Daredevil would be a dividing issue between Foggy and Matt, but I didn't expect it to shut down their firm and pretty much end their friendship altogether. Circumstances with Elektra and The Hand really screwed it up for Matt, and him also just being an ass.

Karen's transition from legal assistant to journalist felt a bit off, but I think that's just the matter of how everyone just got caught up on the whirlwind of The Punisher and the trial. Inheriting Ben's old office was neat though.

And finally, Karen finding out Matt is Daredevil. She really earned it at this point.

Fuchsdh

When they're at Elektra's grave and there's snow I was like "...wait, what?"

Yeah that threw me too. In retrospect it's obvious even a fast-tracked trial would take a while, but I don't think the show really made the passage of time all that clear.

(It also then makes how long Karen's been working on that story doubly hilarious.)

nded

Except they do. Why would they go visit a blind guy otherwise, thinking said blind guy could rescue Stick?

All they need to know is that Matt was trained by Stick. Stick also mentions the Wall to one of the drivers, so they're probably card carrying members of the Chaste and would know DD's secret identity anyway.

I was honestly expecting this to happen at the ending and was upset when it didn't:

tumblr_mls42zb7hm1rsus6so1_500.jpg

He had to use the minigun. Had to.

Oh, and maybe there's an obvious answer here, but if the Kingpin has enough sway to break Punisher out..................why doesn't he just do the same for himself? There's probably a really obvious explanation for it, but it dawned on both my wife and I while watching the prison break scene.

Oh, and maybe there's an obvious answer here, but if the Kingpin has enough sway to break Punisher out..................why doesn't he just do the same for himself? There's probably a really obvious explanation for it, but it dawned on both my wife and I while watching the prison break scene.

I would assume he wants to rule in the light rather than the dark like how he was doing it in season 1. Pose himself as a successful businessman by day and play kingpin by night. If he breaks himself out then he would always have to be in the shadow and technically always on the "run."

Red

He wants to maintain the illusion of legitimacy.

rtcn63

I would assume he wants to rule in the light rather than the dark like how he was doing it in season 1. Pose himself as a successful businessman by day and play kingpin by night. If he breaks himself out then he would always have to be in the shadow and technically always on the "run."

Yeah, and it touches on the whole "being with Vanessa and only in New York" thing. He won't leave the area permanently, and being a fugitive would put her at risk too.

SJRB

Gold Member
Yeah that threw me too. In retrospect it's obvious even a fast-tracked trial would take a while, but I don't think the show really made the passage of time all that clear.

(It also then makes how long Karen's been working on that story doubly hilarious.)

"I want 5000 words before Santa arrives", her boss said before he left on Christmas Eve.

no wonder he was drinking, he's been waiting for her story for 6 months.

DeathyBoy

Banned
"I want 5000 words before Santa arrives", her boss said before he left on Christmas Eve.

no wonder he was drinking, he's been waiting for her story for 6 months.

There's the other thing... like clearly there's a large gap between DD S1 and S2. Large enough for at least the few months of Jessica Jones to fit into. So are they seriously telling us the Bulletin kept Ben's office as it was, all that time, and never hired anyone to replace him until Karen showed up?

Fuck me, we've found a newspaper worse than The Daily Bugle. I don't think Urich's wife is the only one with dementia.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Jesus christ the perspective from EP.11

When Castle and Page are in the diner and he was saying "boohoo about you and what you feel, id give my left arm to have my old lady tear my heart out again, she wouldnt tear it out she would rip it out, stomp on it and feed it to the dogs. And i cant feel that ever again"

God damn that hit me hard, being in a relationship I can deff see how even things like that that make your life difficult you would miss. Great speech and perspective, they really nailed the punisher here.

This is slipping my mind: why did Frank mess up his trial to go to prison? I remember the guard whispering to him his orders, but why did he do it?

To get info from Fisk.
But what was promised to him?

"If you throw your own trial and get yourself locked up in prison for life, Fisk - this guy you've never met - will give you some info."

I don't understand what was actually promised to him that would make sense.

TheStruggler

But what was promised to him?

"If you throw your own trial and get yourself locked up in prison for life, Fisk - this guy you've never met - will give you some info."

I don't understand what was actually promised to him that would make sense.

Castle would get insider information no pun intended on who was responsible for his families murder and what happened etc. It was enough to motivate him to get to prison and have the meeting with fisk

TheStruggler

Just finished season 2 loved it just some quick questions

In the 12th episode his colonel aka blacksmith mentioned Kandahar, we never find out what he meant do we?

Castle removes a cd that says micro on it under his army photo, we obviously have no idea whats on it other than maybe what blacksmith said about it

Also electra's body was stolen, should we assume she will be resurrected next season but as a villian?

KarmaCow

Castle would get insider information no pun intended on who was responsible for his families murder and what happened etc. It was enough to motivate him to get to prison and have the meeting with fisk

Matt's speech about identifying with the Punisher also probably push him over the edge. He seemed realised by that point that the Punisher shouldn't be a hero to people.

In the 12th episode his colonel aka blacksmith mentioned Kandahar, we never find out what he meant do we?

Castle removes a cd that says micro on it under his army photo, we obviously have no idea whats on it other than maybe what blacksmith said about it

Also electra's body was stolen, should we assume she will be resurrected next season but as a villian?

- It's never outright said, like a lot of things in the season. Frank was probably part of the shady shit that went down and it led to him breaking from the crew.

- Microchip is his arms dealer in the comics

- Yea probably. It seemed kinda dumb that at least Stick didn't suspect that the Hand would do that.

TheStruggler

Matt's speech about identifying with the Punisher also probably push him over the edge. He seemed realised by that point that the Punisher shouldn't be a hero to people.

- It's never outright said, like a lot of things in the season. Frank was probably part of the shady shit that went down and it led to him breaking from the crew.

- Microchip is his arms dealer in the comics

- Yea probably. It seemed kinda dumb that at least Stick didn't suspect that the Hand would do that.

cool thanks, overall I loved it and it was a great season. Hope the Punisher gets a spin off loved all of his scenes, what an amazing choice for a cast.

Mariolee

A point I don't think is brought up enough is how well done the scene where Matt momentarily goes deaf. It really showed me how terrifying that truly is considering he's already blind, with next to no way of perceiving aside from touch and not knowing if this deafness would last forever.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Just finished the last episode. Woof, so many twists and turns. The Colonel's involvement with the sting confused the hell out of me at first and I'm still a bit fuzzy on it so I'll probably look up episode guides.

We never did find out what the big hole in the ground they were digging was for I assume?

XAL

Just finished the last episode. Woof, so many twists and turns. The Colonel's involvement with the sting confused the hell out of me at first and I'm still a bit fuzzy on it so I'll probably look up episode guides.

We never did find out what the big hole in the ground they were digging was for I assume?

S3/Defenders setup most likely.

Stage On

I'm so confused. How did Frank get away between the end of episode 3 and the start of episode 4?

Matt had him knocked out in the freight elevator at the end of episode 3 didn't he?

A point I don't think is brought up enough is how well done the scene where Matt momentarily goes deaf. It really showed me how terrifying that truly is considering he's already blind, with next to no way of perceiving aside from touch and not knowing if this deafness would last forever.

I liked that scene a lot, but it was weird they never did anything with it.

Tugatrix

Where is my punisher season 2? Damn punisher bits were great, the hand ones not so much.

My main complain about the season, was the scenes shot in the pitch darkness, you couldn't understand what was going on specially the action scenes

Did that firm really offer to make Foggy a partner based on one not-terrible opening statement? Am I tripping or was that whole "Actually you're a lawyer all-star now" plot thread ridiculous?

Blues1990

Did that firm really offer to make Foggy a partner based on one not-terrible opening statement? Am I tripping or was that whole "Actually you're a lawyer all-star now" plot thread ridiculous?
Given all the nonsense Foggy had to go through, I'm willing to let that slip & give him some relief.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls

Ya, it's a bit of a stretch. But that lawyer from Jessica Jones did get thrown into a ridiculous new world of super powers leaving her likely scarred. Foggy took down a Super Villain and had a swell opening statement for a vigilante. That probably gives him more experience than the average lawyer in that realm.
I hope the plot thread is redeemed with her setting up Foggy with cases doomed to fail or something else nefarious like that. But it was likely a needless plug to remind us the world is shared.

Gambit

I was honestly expecting this to happen at the ending and was upset when it didn't:

tumblr_mls42zb7hm1rsus6so1_500.jpg

I was disappointed it didn't.

The fights are much more exciting if the good guys and bad guys use different weapons. The Punisher shooting people with shotguns while they use katanas would have been pretty damn awesome.

ed_fusion

Banned

250px-Microchip(comics).jpg

microchip is the guy who provides the punisher with all his weapons and guns

scabro

you mean besides the scene where Frank literally asks Fisk this same thing and Fisk responds by saying that he doesnt want to step out to fight a war, he wants to step out to win one? lol

Fuchsdh

I thought the "why you won't leave" bit that got threaded throughout this season was one of the strongest elements, because it really does remind me of some lifelong New Yorkers, and I like that Fisk's biggest weakness (aside from his Hulklike rage tendencies) is that he just can't let go of his hometown. If he could, he'd be happy.

Do you guys WATCH these shows? Honestly, this was explained word for word.

I thought Foggy already had hot shot firm credentials? Isn't that why they bring around that blonde from the rich firm?

you mean besides the scene where Frank literally asks Fisk this same thing and Fisk responds by saying that he doesnt want to step out to fight a war, he wants to step out to win one? lol

I must have completely missed that, willl watch again.

Edit: on second thought, I do vaguely recall that piece of dialogue now that you mention it.

Do you guys WATCH these shows? Honestly, this was explained word for word.

Hence why I said maybe I missed something obvious? Relax, its not that serious....

Hence why I said maybe I missed something obvious? Relax, its not that serious....
Sorry it's not just you. And you weren't really complaining so it's not a big deal, but it's really a pet peeve of mine when people complain about something that was clearly explained. Fisk explained your question word for word.

SJRB

Gold Member

I liked how he went from scrub to a well-dressed succesful corner-office lawyer flyguy with a new haircut over the span of like half an episode.

Sorry it's not just you. And you weren't really complaining so it's not a big deal, but it's really a pet peeve of mine when people complain about something that was clearly explained. Fisk explained your question word for word.

Fair enough, so your response would be justified if I was actually complaining which you've already acknowledged I wasn't. And frankly, by that point I had binge-watched about 5-6 episodes so maybe my attention was wavering. It happens....

gimmmick

Great season. I didn't enjoy it as much as the first, but the punisher kept the season a float. Man what a great job with the casting with all the members. The hand was a shitty fucking enemy and too many plot holes throughout the second half of the season. I hope season 3 doesn't branch out to 3 different characters again because it felt like we were pushed upon electra's character near the end of the season. I hope they find a way to bring back the punisher again, though I doubt it.

Top Bottom