• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Iron Fist *SPOILER THREAD* |OT| Big Trouble in Little NY

Status
Not open for further replies.
That seems to be the rule, as they wouldn't even let Davos be Chinese. He's technically Asian yes, but when Lewis Tan said they gave him another part I thought immediately it would be Davos; because what reason would you even change that for. And for a guy with no martial arts experience either.

I hadn't thought about it before, but now I'm extra bummed. Even though I ultimately liked Davos's actor, I think Tan would have been a better fit for the role.

are all of the places in the Netflix series based on real locations in NYC?

It would be cool to see a heat map of some sort to get an idea of how close everyone is to each other.

Slightly incomplete map:
13606795_1412685375414697_2497966838773759183_n.jpg

We can probably add the IF dojo and Dr. Strange's sanctum to this... They'd be south(west) of Hell's Kitchen and the Avengers Tower.

LordRaptor

If you want to see what a bad ending that comes out of nowhere actually looks like, check out Priests Powerman & Iron Fist run

I think a lot of the show's issues can largely be put down to it being rushed compared to the other shows. Finn not being all that in shape. The fight scenes not being very good. I'd bet the scripts were rushed as well. That's no excuse for the show overall though because why should the audience care? Not to mention both of the things I mentioned would have been severely mitigated had they hired an actor who already was a martial artist (and, even better, also a fight choreography). Again, more than anything this shit makes me worried for Inhumans since it's deja vu.

Kaelan

Can someone point me to some good Iron Fist stories?
As much as I disliked this i'd still like to see some good stuff from the character.

Just to piggyback off of this, isn't the show similar to the comic back interpretation? I know in the comics danny is considered a fuck up and rarely wins. Not too privvy on the comics tho.

The comic book writers could of easily helped the show runners if they were to pick a new Iron First like they've done with way more high profiled characters. smh

Oh man I just finished.
It was mediocre. I think everyone have said enough about the negatives so I'll just point out the positives.

-Ward was the best thing about this show. (Hated him at first, loved him by the end)
-Colleen the 2nd.
-Liked the Ep.10 Hand Twist
-Liked that punch to the floor in Ep.13, need more of that in the future.
-I liked Davos, although I'm confused about that scene with him and Joy
-Fight scenes got better and better (but not by a larger margin)
-Although I know is a negative critism, I'm kinda glad they didn't show K'un-Lun because if it's heaven like Gao says, they better have more budget and better visuals before they show me this so call heaven.
-A lot of good references to the other Defenders.
-Danny has some tunes on that iPod of his XD
-Lawyer Trinity (love that name by the way) was a better connection to the Defenders than Claire (don't get me wrong she has her moments, but I think she might have overstayed her welcome).
-That old footage was sick and 2 IRON FIST!. Come on Scott stop screwing with us.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Can someone point me to some good Iron Fist stories?
As much as I disliked this i'd still like to see some good stuff from the character.

Just to piggyback off of this, isn't the show similar to the comic back interpretation? I know in the comics danny is considered a fuck up and rarely wins. Not too privvy on the comics tho.
Immortal Iron Fist by Brubaker is still considered the go-to IF story.

I'd also recommend the current Power Man & Iron Fist book. It's far lighter in tone but it does a good job of showing off his and Luke's relationship.

Oh man I just finished.
It was mediocre. I think everyone have said enough about the negatives so I'll just point out the positives.

-Ward was the best thing about this show.
-Colleen the 2nd.
-Liked the Ep.10 Hand Twist
-Liked that punch to the floor in Ep.13, need more of that in the future.
-I liked Davos, although I'm confused about that scene with him and Joy
-Fight scenes got better and better (but not by a larger margin)
-Although I know is a negative critism, I'm kinda glad they didn't show K'un-Lun because if it's heaven like Gao says, they better have more budget and better visuals before they show me this so call heaven.
-A lot of good references to the other Defenders.
-Danny has some tunes on that iPod of his XD
-Lawyer Trinity (love that name by the way) was a better connection to the Defenders than Claire (don't get me wrong she has her moments, but I think she might have overstayed her welcome).
-That old footage was sick and 2 IRON FIST!. Come on Scott stop screwing with us.
I just posted a link to explain the Joy/Davos connection.

Kaelan

That explains it but the show doesn't provide enough context for it - if you never read the comics you'd have no idea why they are meeting.

Also, what did Bokatu mean when he said "this young man is our future" when talking to that guy that used to train with coleen?

*sigh* even if they go through that, it's just stupid. Ward basically killed Harold twice XD
But it seems like it's the other way around with Davos manipulating Joy and telling that usual "He brings death to anything touches" crap.

KarmaCow

That explains it but the show doesn't provide enough context for it - if you never read the comics you'd have no idea why they are meeting.

Also, what did Bokatu mean when he said "this young man is our future" when talking to that guy that used to train with coleen?

They didn't spell it out but it's clear that they're plotting against Danny. It's meant for the fans to tease future stories, Daredevil season 2 did the same thing with the Punisher getting a CD labelled Micro.

Bakuto is building a shadow army to infiltrate society, kinda like Hydra. People like that guy are the seeds of that.

*sigh* even if they go through that, it's just stupid. Ward basically killed Harold twice XD
But it seems like it's the other way around with Davos manipulating Joy and telling that usual "He brings death to anything touches" crap.

The show runners are idiotically shuffling the comic book stuff around. Danny talks about Crane Mother in K'un L'unw when Crane Mother is the ruler of K'un-Zi.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
You're right, the guy who played Danny Rand was a fantastic actor and really brought the script to life.

From that one scene, I wouldn't cast Lewis on acting alone.

Again, I thought Finn did an okay job. The problem is you can't polish a turd.

LordRaptor

I didn't like the rush job heel turn epilogue of Davos and Joy, but there's some internal consistency on Joy being duped by men in her life into doing some unpalatable shit

Blackhead

Redarse

Yeah, not only did Ward kill Howard twice but Ward basically revealed that all the brilliant decisions Joy respected him for were actually all made by Howard. Then, despite Joy being the only competent exec left at Rand, Ward replaces the Howard and Wendell pictures with his and Danny's. Lmao. It might make a little sense to Joy to be recruiting Davos but not the other way around.

It certainly doesn't make sense for Davos to be plotting with weak earthlings (how exactly could Joy eliminate Danny anyway) while Danny and Colleen are already trying to get back K'un L'un (which was, you know, the whole point why Davos came, to take Dany back). WTF is Davos still hanging around NY for? He also has duties in K'un L'un

Yeah, not only did Ward kill Howard twice but Ward basically revealed that all the brilliant decisions Joy respected him for were actually all made by Howard. Then, despite Joy being the only competent exec left at Rand, Ward replaces the Howard and Wendell pictures with his and Danny's. Lmao. It might make a little sense to Joy to be recruiting Davos but not the other way around.

It certainly doesn't make sense for Davos to be plotting with weak earthlings (how exactly could Joy eliminate Danny anyway) while Danny and Colleen are already trying to get back K'un L'un (which was, you know, the whole point why Davos came, to take Dany back). WTF is Davos still hanging around NY for? He also has duties in K'un L'un

Because Davos is an actual comic book character, who got banished by his pops for trying to kill The Iron Fist(Daniel). Like I said, the show runners are shuffling shit around. He's meant to be a bad guy at some point.

I finished watching the season and was confused about the final fight between Harold and Danny.

Danny is the Iron Fist. Cool so he uses his fists.
Harold is seen throughout the season practicing on a punching bag and sparring with a trainer. Cool so the final fight is going to be an all-out brawl.

Instead we got Harold and Danny fighting each other with sticks on top of a roof. What the hell was the build-up of Harold training for?!

duckroll

It's unfortunate, but you're missing the broader point I was making. It's great to have someone who's physically trained, but you need someone who can act. That one scene didn't really show a whole lot. I'd like to see more from him.

But they hired Finn Jones. Dude can't even act like an understanding person in interviews now. Lol.

Feltrol

Banned
I can't understand why Gao knew about Luke Cage
if he hasn't been involved with the Hand at all, If I recall correctly
(Luke Cage spoilers). Also, no mention of Jessica Jones as a threat to the Hand at all. Where's the love?

To finish off: What the hell, Joy? Why is it that close friends can turn into the biggest enemies? Ward, the childhood bully, (sort of) redeemed himself by the end -- while it's the opposite case for Joy.

Volimar

I can't understand why Gao knew about Luke Cage
if he hasn't been involved with the Hand at all, If I recall correctly
(Luke Cage spoilers). Also, no mention of Jessica Jones as a threat to the Hand at all. Where's the love?

To finish off: What the hell, Joy? Why is it that close friends can turn into the biggest enemies? Ward, the childhood bully, (sort of) redeemed himself by the end -- while it's the opposite case for Joy.

Luke gets pretty publically outted in his show. Whereas Kilgrave using the police to hunt down Jessica led to that getting swept under the rug. Gao might know about her, but there's no reason for her to expect the general public would know about her, so no reason for her to bring JJ up.

Vic_Viper

Is there a thread for the entire Netflix Marvel Universe?

Looks like the big threat in the Defenders is probably going to be Shadowland!

latest

Pretty bad story arc in the comics, but if done right could be awesome. If were going by the threads started in Daredevil and continued into Iron Fist, this is a huge possibility.

http://screenrant.com/iron-fist-defenders-connections/

Also heres a behind the scenes pic of the Iron Fist costume used in that black and white scene:

17333526_1881917318763990_4189860203497259008_n.jpg

Is there a thread for the entire Netflix Marvel Universe?

Looks like the big threat in the Defenders is probably going to be Shadowland!

latest

Pretty bad story arc in the comics, but if done right could be awesome. If were going by the threads started in Daredevil and continued into Iron Fist, this is a huge possibility.

http://screenrant.com/iron-fist-defenders-connections/

Also heres a behind the scenes pic of the Iron Fist costume used in that black and white scene:

17333526_1881917318763990_4189860203497259008_n.jpg

The one of the most boss and quite Iron Fist-iest looking scene in the series was for a quick black and white 1948 footage reel, come on son!

Gah, this show really needed a higher budget, or just less episodes if they didn't have the production values. It took 2 whole episodes before seeing Danny's "Iron Fist", could have condensed the first 2 episodes right into one.

I don't think he was that bad, given what he had to work with.

He was awful. He was alternately weird, angry, wussy and creepy. It was like they cast a less appealing John From Cincinatti as a superhero.

I have such a high tolerance for bad superhero stuff - I thought BvS was fine and even managed to get some enjoyment out of Green Lantern - but this was really bad, and it was in no small part due to him.

I finished watching the season and was confused about the final fight between Harold and Danny.

Danny is the Iron Fist. Cool so he uses his fists.
Harold is seen throughout the season practicing on a punching bag and sparring with a trainer. Cool so the final fight is going to be an all-out brawl.

Instead we got Harold and Danny fighting each other with sticks on top of a roof. What the hell was the build-up of Harold training for?!

Just one of many, many things in this series that they set up, then forgot about.

Like Madame Gao forgetting she can force-push people and send them flying across the room. Guess she must be getting old.

caliph95

Just one of many, many things in this series that they set up, then forgot about.

Like Madame Gao forgetting she can force-push people and send them flying across the room. Guess she must be getting old.
Which was weird she easily took out Danny And Matt yet she gave up without a fight and doesn't do anything.

dlauv

This honestly isn't that much shittier than the other Marvel Netflix shows.

It started out pretty circular with some spotty as fuck acting but it gets better once you get settled into it. The fighting choreography is the best since DDs1, but doesn't get nearly as good.

There was some real cringe in the first three to four episodes tho. Like the board meeting, and the kung fu fight flirting, where Danny instructed Colleen on her technique, and the teacher getting jumped by her students.

At least it feels like it's going somewhere. I think JJ had the same shit happen over and over. I like the world-building. Iron Fist gives more insight into the Hand that kind of felt awkward in DDs2.

I don't know why they cast a guy with no physique, but it sells him as the underdog in every single fight, so that's OK I guess. But not really.

It feels less polished than the others for sure. It's on that CW line more than any. Ep 7 atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom