• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Defenders *SPOILER THREAD* |OT| Super Friends - August 18th on Netflix

FireFly

They want to go back to K'un-Lun. I don't remember if they explain this as being different from the city where everyone's dead? For a while I thought that they were going to use the IF to open a door to another dimension or something. Not break through some literal rocks which are apparently the only way to access a large dragon skeleton beneath ordinary Manhattan stuck in some dirt.
I think the idea is it was protected by some kind of magical force field.

Very true, but heightened senses shouldn't trump Danny's skillset.

I was floored when Matt held himself against two fingers of the Hand by himself.

Y'all don't get how badass Matt is, Stick talking about it.

yeah yeah Danny was raised by monks after a being a rich kid his own life. Ok, he fought a dragon

Matt was raised in Hell's Kitchen, boxer dad, trained by Stick, uses his ability to "know" things before they happen, already been fighting a one man war on crime, fight a ninja on fire

Danny Rand ain't got shit on my boy Matty Murdock

FireFly

One thing I don't understand is how an entire police force is unable to break down a door jammed by a few pieces of metal.

whipihguh

Banned
After watching it all, I gotta agree that this show wasn't all that great. Not terrible, but pretty meh. I think the highlight for me was first teamup in Midland Circle and the Chinese restaurant.

I also felt like the finale didn't match up to what it was building to. I felt like they were referencing that K'un-Lun might have survived in some way and they needed Iron Fist to open the pathway, but they just wanted, like dragon bone essence, or whatever? Super lame.

I also really don't get the deal behind the Black Sky. They built it up to be this powerful thing in the first Daredevil season, and it's just...a revived warrior to do the Hand's bidding? What makes that any more special than using any other Hand ninja instead? Elektra is just the best at killing? Is that it?

I don't know, feels like they didn't really try with this. Between this, the second half of Luke Cage and Iron Fist, it's starting to seem like Marvel Netflix is losing the plot here.

One thing I don't understand is how an entire police force is unable to break down a door jammed by a few pieces of metal.

battering_ram.jpg

Tech so alien only the Chitauri have.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
The Hand should've been a bit more careful with their Substance supply... Don't forget, they were using that stuff to revive all those scrub fodder ninjas back in DD s2. You'd think they'd be more aware of how much they have left. Stop reviving the z listers, dummies.

Also, was K'un-Lun actually destroyed or just gone? I can't remember what that final shot from Iron Fist showed. If it was gone, wouldn't Danny know that it only appears every so many years? Though he seemed to think someone had destroyed it. If The Hand had destroyed it, why would they keep saying they wanted to go back to it?

- I learned a lot about architecture - specifically that you can lock down all access to an entire skyscraper just by BLOCKING ONE STAIRWELL IN THE PARKING GARAGE... ahem, sorry. positive feedback, right....

The cops did state "the building's on some sort of high-tech lockdown."

Very true, but heightened senses shouldn't trump Danny's skillset.

What's Danny's skillset? "Rich kid was trained by some monks in his teenage years to be a gate guard for K'un L'un."

Matt's skillset: "Son of a boxer, was trained from childhood by total badasses to be on the front lines of the war against The Hand."

Toss in DD's powers and there actually isn't any logic as to why Danny should be a better fighter other than he needs something to justify his existence.

Early in, Iron Fist was doing fairly well, making friends, showed some skills....then gets forcefully sidelined for most of the second half. Can't really blame the actor when the script is actively setting him up to be a naive Iron Fail.

The actor was the whole reason though. You think if he was coming off as awesome in dailies and focus screenings they would have had him KO'd & tied up for the second half of the series to focus on the others?

How strong is Jessica to be capable of keeping that lift suspended and not even look like she's straining to do it? That's Cap level of strength. I knew she held back her power all the time but she is legit strong.

How strong is Jessica to be capable of keeping that lift suspended and not even look like she's straining to do it? That's Cap level of strength. I knew she held back her power all the time but she is legit strong.

Close, but not quite. Cap held that helicopter while trying to get away. I don't think that lift weights the same considering the forces involved.

Close, but not quite. Cap held that helicopter while trying to get away. I don't think that lift weights the same considering the forces involved.

Cap was strained to the ends of his ability though. It was a real struggle. Jessica made it look like it easy, and that lift must have weighed a hell of a lot.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Jessica should be waaaay stronger than Cap. If Jessica actually had any sort of martial arts training she technically should be able to wipe the floor with Cap just due to her superhuman strength levels. I think Luke is technically stronger than her though, I can't remember.

Captain America's supposed to be olympic-level peak human. Jessica's clearly stronger.

Alienous

Iron Fist really is a dud in this, just like in his own series. His 'super punch' is meaningless when Luke Cage is doing 75% of that, but all the time. He isn't a dynamic martial artist - Daredevil is the one with the flips. He isn't even all that likeable next to Jessica Jones.

And they didn't even go for his classic bandana appearance at the end when they hard the perfect story context to do so. They completely justified him doing it, then they didn't.

Should've had him die of food poisoning off screen.

Sulik2

I actually quite enjoyed this. The characters interacted really well together and it's hard to not like Jessica Jones. Show needed way more action though. Seeing a dragon corpse was neat but not at all the reveal it should have been. Should have been something to do with kun lun. Also Danny couldn't touch Luke before his fist but all the hand could punch him fine super incositent. Alexandra was underwhelming, stick was great and black sky made no sense. Was Elektra supposed to have powers?

Iron Fist really is a dud in this, just like his own series. His 'super punch' is meaningless when Luke Cage is doing 75% of that, but all the time. He isn't a dynamic martial artist - Daredevil is the one with the flips. He isn't even all that likeable next to Jessica Jones.

And they didn't even go for his classic bandanna appearance at the end when they hard the perfect story context to do so. They completely justified him doing it, then they didn't.

Should've had him die of food poisoning off screen.

tumblr_n0yjjqHYIE1rgqdnvo3_400.gif

Note: Iron Fist died on the way back to K'un Lun.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
If only Doctor Strange had been concerned about people digging up dragon bones from under NYC.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
If only Doctor Strange had been concerned about people digging up dragon bones from under NYC.
How would he know about it? It wasn't on TV and there was no mystic stuff currently activated or sending out signals. Plus, again, these shows don't follow the same time line as when the movies come out. Matt says it's only been a few months after DD s2 when Defenders starts up so Strange might've not even had his accident yet.

HStallion

They should have had Luke Cage actually letting loose and tearing dudes in half like they were made of paper.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Stick said exactly that.

Damn, MCU Cap is OP compared to this. Luke is a beast and way underpowered here.
Eh, MCU Cap is about on par with being able to lift 1200 lbs. He did flip that motorcycle over his head in AoU. But yeah, Luke is definitely underpowered in this show.

Jessica should be waaaay stronger than Cap. If Jessica actually had any sort of martial arts training she technically should be able to wipe the floor with Cap just due to her superhuman strength levels. I think Luke is technically stronger than her though, I can't remember.

MCU Cap is pretty damn ridiculous though. I think Luke is a better fighter but she's clearly got the strength advantage. Seems like they're only just hinting at what she could really do if she embraced her abilities. I find myself more interested in season 2 of Jessica Jones now.

Captain America's supposed to be olympic-level peak human. Jessica's clearly stronger.

MCU Cap is way beyond peak human. Like, way, way, waaay beyond that.

Laieon

I enjoyed this (only other Marvel TV show I've been able to finish was JJ, but I haven't tried DD yet), but my biggest problem continues to be the fact that it doesn't really feel like it's part of the MCU. When some of these heroes seem to be on par with certain avengers (Black Widow especially), it feels weird that they're not acknowledged at all. Spiderman also lives in New York, why is he not investigating this shit too? No mention of Stark tower, etc...

I get these are street level heroes, but we literally just got an entire movie about a street level hero. People know who Luke Cage is, why is he not the poster child for the Sokovia Accords?

I also felt like the hand was a lot more threatening than Hydra ever was. These dudes caused Pompeii and Chernobyl and are immortal, what has Hydra ever done outside of infiltrating governments, failing, and then infiltrating governments again?

It just feels very, very disconnected. If it was it's own thing, okay, but it's not.

HStallion

As I said earlier, The Kingpin's organization seemed far more intimidating and oppressive than the Hand lol

MCU Cap is pretty damn ridiculous though. I think Luke is a better fighter but she's clearly got the strength advantage. Seems like they're only just hinting at what she could really do if she embraced her abilities. I find myself more interested in season 2 of Jessica Jones now.

MCU Cap is way beyond peak human. Like, way, way, waaay beyond that.

Unless they changed it for the show, LC is significantly stronger than JJ.

LotusHD

Banned
I enjoyed this (only other Marvel TV show I've been able to finish was JJ, but I haven't tried DD yet), but my biggest problem continues to be the fact that it doesn't really feel like it's part of the MCU. When some of these heroes seem to be on par with certain avengers (Black Widow especially), it feels weird that they're not acknowledged at all. Spiderman also lives in New York, why is he not investigating this shit too? No mention of Stark tower, etc...

I also felt like the hand was a lot more threatening than Hydra ever was. These dudes caused Pompeii and Chernobyl and are immortal, what has Hydra ever done outside of infiltrating governments, failing, and then infiltrating governments again?

It just feels very, very disconnected. If it was it's own thing, okay, but it's not.

You just gotta let that go already lmao, the dream has been dead.

The Hand needed something like the Hive from Hydra / AoS. I think they have the Beast but I mean having as in actually appearing.

The Hive would easily solo those 5 fingers and Elektra.

The actor was the whole reason though. You think if he was coming off as awesome in dailies and focus screenings they would have had him KO'd & tied up for the second half of the series to focus on the others?

That doesn't account for how he was doing relatively well with some material in the first part of this show. Then back to having to sell dimwit, reactive Danny and then house arrest lol.

Nor can we excuse the unsophisticated writing in general that sometimes threatens to sink the other actors as well. Poor Sigourney; and Colleen went from a highlight in IF to simply being off in Defenders. That is about as much out of my way as I would go to suggest a defense of the IF though. Jones fans and/or IF comics fans--neither of which I represent--might be more inclined to. Or, more likely, not.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, when JJ introduces her blind-but-maybe-not lawyer, she said that at first she thought he was Spider Man, but something something.

[edit] first minute into episode 4
Nah, she says, "I thought he was sent to spy on me and now I'm not so sure". The spy on me can kinda sound like Spider-Man with how fast she says it, so I get how you could've heard that.

dcelw540

So a question that's puzzling me, why did elenktra take over the hand? She stated she hated being controlled and wanted her own path but what was she trying to accomplish from being part of the hand now? This show was a bit messy for me.

So a question that's puzzling me, why did elenktra take over the hand? She stated she hated being controlled and wanted her own path but what was she trying to accomplish from being part of the hand now? This show was a bit messy for me.

Immortality. That's it, she didn't even care about the global politics or whatever.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think she did, really. She just needed to be in charge until they got the barrier open, then after that I don't think she was going to stick around.

SRG01

Marvel definitely needs to wake up and put better script writers onto their TV properties. They can't afford to burn anymore goodwill with awful shows, especially if they're moving onto their own streaming service.

tirminyl

I'm disappointed. It was alright.

They built the hand to wanting Dany to break through some door that could be a portal to their home and all it turned out being was dinosaur bones. The fuck?

Why was Black Sky supposed to be this incredible being? Ok, she is good at martial arts and has a little strength but still gets tossed by low strength Matt.

Why build up the five fingers to epic proportions and have Daredevil fight two at the same time with no issue?

Why couldn't I see anything in the fights?

Dany and Colleen are the worst IMO. Colleen walks into the fight with the three fingers, flicks her sword and is like "you're welcome!" to the Defenders. Uh, What did you do!? You did nothing! Bye Felicia! And Dany turned full Khaleesi. Instead of asking where are his dragons he's telling everyone he makes eye contact with that he is the immortal iron fist. Boy, bye! I'm likely not going to watch your second season because of how utterly annoying you are.

Jessica was the best. She mouthed everything that I was thinking.

Just my initial thoughts after finishing it. Really disappointed.

hobozero

If I were a big Iron Fist fan, I would feel like Deadpool fans post X-men Origins, or Venom fans post Spider-man 3. Ya'll got done dirty. I feel bad for you. You just got 21 hours of Iron Fist and not once did he seem like his comic counterpart :( No mask. No awesomely popped collar. Just one, dim, hard to conjure fist and sub-CW choreography.

Gonna go re-read The Living Weapon run and pour one out for poor Danny.

You can't ask this question, because it applies to every superhero story that's not a universe-wide crossover. The other guys aren't around, and that's that.

EYEL1NER

I'm disappointed. It was alright.

They built the hand to wanting Dany to break through some door that could be a portal to their home and all it turned out being was dinosaur bones. The fuck?
They kept mentioning that they were trying to ge through the wall to get more of the 'substance.' I don't know what led you to think it was a portal home. Gao, Murakami, and Bokuto mentioned once or twice that their ultimate goal is get back to K'un Lun but the whole purpose of them being in NYC was to get more 'substance' to prolong their lives/being them back from the dead.

tirminyl

They kept mentioning that they were trying to ge through the wall to get more of the 'substance.' I don't know what led you to think it was a portal home. Gao, Murakami, and Bokuto mentioned once or twice that their ultimate goal is get back to K'un Lun but the whole purpose of them being in NYC was to get more 'substance' to prolong their lives/being them back from the dead.

You're right. I recall that now.

ryan299

It comes off as a portal back bc they keep talking about wanting to go home. I know they wanted the substance but it comes off as the substance being in K'un Lun and them needing IF to get back home to get it.

I thought the show was pretty bland.

Is Iron Fist this boring in the comics? Can he only power up one fist and do one thing with it before losing it? I found him shattering a sword with his fist cool, but he quickly looses his power, and never chains anything together when its active.

I guess thats how they want to write him but man its terrible. Its a shame because I actually liked him in the first few episodes.

I still find Jessica Jones boring. Maybe it's because everything about her comes off as super depressing. Cool she has super strength but the way they show it isn't interesting. She just seems like the most boring super hero ever, and yes I know she'd say she's not one, but I wish she'd do something cool outside of holding the elevator.

Top Bottom