• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Merkel warns US, Britain no longer reliable partners

-MB-

Time for bigger EU integration now that the naysayers are out

EU army and Eurozone federal budget would be good first steps

Nice and all, but the EU has to fix other more glaring issues that caused the distrust in the EU within the EU itself before it can do any of that.

Oops, just read an article on Spiegel.de this morning about the upcoming EU-China-Summit, that the EU could break with the US and instead could cooperate with China in the near future. Doesn't sound too unrealistic now.

Seriously

Trump needs to get the fuck out of the White House.

The problem is much bigger then Trump.

Republicans have become so radicalized that I get from a international perspective it must be hard to deal with America when half the time the US government is still trying to pretend its the 1950's

Zojirushi

Is Germany a reliable ally?

PG_2017.05.23.nato-00-06.png

Germany is deeply conflicted about its importance in the world today so yeah, not surprising.

I didn't say anything about the whole project being bad,so stop reaching... ��

I voted remain and think we have fucked ourselves over. The rich and powerful got their way by influencing the gullible. The EU isn't 100% amazing but it is far better then Brexit.

"The whole thing is a mess" sure sounded like it. If you meant the debt crisis by that, yeah, I guess that's an apt description. Sounded like you were referring to the EU as a whole there. My apologies.

Beefy

"The whole thing is a mess" sure sounded like it. If you meant the debt crisis by that, yeah, I guess that's an apt description. Sounded like you were referring to the EU as a whole there.
Nah I was on about the thread title. The US has some crazy dude in charge, we have May who thinks she is Thatcher 2.0 but is fucking awful. I just hope there aren't more countries that get brainwashed into thinking leaving the EU is a good thing.

The less information that is shared between countries the greater it is for terrorist organizations, this is quite terrible news if she's really pushing this

Nah I was on about the thread title. The US has some crazy dude in charge, we have May who thinks she is Thatcher 2.0 but is fucking awful. I just hope there aren't more countries that get brainwashed into thinking leaving the EU is a good thing.

Ah, that's what you meant. Then I read that completely wrong. Mess is even an understatement in that case :p

Costa Kid

I think it's time for the EU to get an elected parliament and senate. I know it already has an elected parliament but they have limitied powers compared to the commission.

MLCodest

I'm still optimistic that this will just be a very bad speed bump in international relations, but that hope is fading with every day.

Oops, just read an article on Spiegel.de this morning about the upcoming EU-China-Summit, that the EU could break with the US and instead could cooperate with China in the near future. Doesn't sound too unrealistic now.
That's​ the right move in order to keep pushing the world forward.

The less information that is shared between countries the greater it is for terrorist organizations, this is quite terrible news if she's really pushing this

Unfortunately at least the US has shown it can't responsibly handle the information. A stark change from January 19th. Any freezing out of info is 100% the fault of the current US administration. Nobody else.

It doesn't seem the UK is quite at the level of being frozen out on terrorism issues, though.

Nerazar

Schattenjäger;238351755 said:
Is that so? What are you basing that on?

Trump's leaking of sensitive information which was not shared with allies, for example. Israel and the UK are downsizing their information sharing. Give the Leaker-in-Chief more months and more countries will follow.

Schattenjäger;238351755 said:
Is that so? What are you basing that on?

I dunno, we're 4 months in and Trump is being vague about article 5 and stalls progress in climate policy

Which leads to reactions like this from Merkel

All the while playing buddies with Saudi Arabia who is largely responsible for spreading Wahabism

US taxpayers were paying Germany to be part of NATO or something, but now that Trump is going nope on that it's time to abandon US.

#TrumpLogic

After the 2% NATO thread I can't even laugh at this anymore.

It is understandable if those terrorist organizations are a result of American interventionalism

I'm also pretty sure that she doesn't mean with this we should break of relations completely, intelligence sharing will probably not change that much

Unless Trump decides to leak more to the Russians of course

Nerazar

I'm pretty sure she said that both the US and Britain aren't reliable partners.

Yep, that's what she said. And she was being applauded by the audience for that statement. The sentiment of the European citizens is clear on that issue. I also lost a lot of respect for the US during the last months. And with Trump, everything can and will get worse.

Unfortunately at least the US has shown it can't responsibly handle the information. A stark change from January 19th. Any freezing out of info is 100% the fault of the current US administration. Nobody else.

It doesn't seem the UK is quite at the level of being frozen out on terrorism issues, though.

US media reporting confidential information on the Manchester terrorist attack doesn't help either

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

no one does progressive global liberalism like China.

Corbyn has some decent ideas, his europe policy is the same disaster as May though.

Let's see what the Senate Foreign Relations Committee chairman thinks about Trumps trip:

DA63UnCWsAAKW-9.jpg

https://twitter.com/SenBobCorker/status/868833347254067201

Yep every single GOP member, voter, or supporter that was on the news shows all basically downplayed any of the recent Russia stories, especially the Kushner thing, saying "oh lots of campaigns do this, lets not jump to conclusions, etc" while then going "what we really should be talking about is how amazing Trump is and how successful this whole trip was." Really, the GOP is the fucking worst.

Micael

No more free candy therefore no longer reliable partners.

Yeah that free candy of being dragged into a bullshit war that destabilized an entire region, the free candy of having more terrorist attacks which comes in no small part due to the destabilization of the region (not that terrorist attacks themselves are new), the free candy of getting a financial crisis in no small part caused by a severe lack of financial regulations in the US because the power of the free market fuck yeah (the EU had roughly 4 trillion more GDP than the USA before the crisis), the free candy of having to take a bunch of refugees due to previously mentioned things, the free candy of giving between zero and none shits about global warming, good thing trump came along or we might just all get diabetic from all this free candy the US was handing us out.

I mean don't take this the wrong way, not saying the partnership with the USA isn't beneficial, it was in the past and is going to continue to be in the future, because really the relationship we have with the USA is really not going to happen with someone like China, but the idea the USA was handing out free candy is hilarious.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I think it's because of a difference of opinion on immigration, climate change, trade etc and not NATO.

Yeah that free candy of being dragged into a bullshit war that destabilized an entire region, the free candy of having more terrorist attacks which comes in no small part due to the destabilization of the region (not that terrorist attacks themselves are new), the free candy of getting a financial crisis in no small part caused by a severe lack of financial regulations in the US because the power of the free market fuck yeah (the EU had roughly 4 trillion more GDP than the USA before the crisis), the free candy of having to take a bunch of refugees due to previously mentioned things, the free candy of giving between zero and none shits about global warming, good thing trump came along or we might just all get diabetic from all this free candy the US was handing us out.

I mean don't take this the wrong way, not saying the partnership with the USA isn't beneficial, it was in the past and is going to continue to be in the future, because really the relationship we have with the USA is really not going to happen with someone like China, but the idea the USA was handing out free candy is hilarious.
Loved your post. Yup, the EU has suffered a lot because of the US's stupidity.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Terrorists and Russians managed to divide us. We remain the fools.

It's frustrating me so much, there's so many who know what's going on but can't seem to do anything to contest it. How the fuck do you even go about contesting this? Politics and blinded people playing right into terrorists hands.

So this is Europe's UExit? Merkel is being dumb here and it's dangerous talk. To think that Europe can't be as close with staunch and like minded allies in the US and Britain is giving the rest of the world who continuously has worked against US, Britain and the EU's interests exactly what they want.

And then some go a step further and think they should snuggle up to China? Yeah because the EU and China are more compatible and have much more the same interests in play now that US/Britain voted for Trump/Brexit? They are the worst human rights violator of the major countries today. They are literally an authoritarian regime. And because there has been an up-swelling in the west of shades of authoritarianism they want everyone to divide? Even when this sentiment has also spread to Europe, just not into the majorities yet. Ridiculous.

Seriously

Trump needs to get the fuck out of the White House.

Trump is the symptom, not the cause.

The right has reached a level of toxicity so high I honestly don't know what can be done about it. How can you work with people that literally will watch the world burn if it means "destroying the big bad goverment?"

tuxfool

Banned
So this is Europe's UExit? Merkel is being dumb here and it's dangerous talk. To think that Europe can't be as close with staunch and like minded allies in the US and Britain is giving the rest of the world who continuously has worked against US, Britain and the EU's interests exactly what they want. And then some go a step further and think they should snuggle up to China? Yeah because the EU and China are more compatible and have much more the same interests in play now that US/Britain voted for Trump/Brexit? Ridiculous.

She isn't the the one doing this. This is just as a consequence of the actions and statements by GB and the US.

US media reporting confidential information on the Manchester terrorist attack doesn't help either

Those media leaks take UK or US forces on the ground provding that to them ultimately. Also Trump leaking information to the Russians about other allies is even more damaging.

So yeah, this is on Trump and the administration in the US first. Again, a stark contrast to attitudes from January 19th.

So this is Europe's UExit? Merkel is being dumb here and it's dangerous talk. To think that Europe can't be as close with staunch and like minded allies in the US and Britain is giving the rest of the world who continuously has worked against US, Britain and the EU's interests exactly what they want. And then some go a step further and think they should snuggle up to China? Yeah because the EU and China are more compatible and have much more the same interests in play now that US/Britain voted for Trump/Brexit? They are the worst human rights violator of the major countries today. Ridiculous.

The EU didn't start this, it was the US and the UK

Getting more independent as consequence is pretty reasonable imo

And I really doubt that China will take the role of the US anytime soon.

She isn't the the one doing this. This is just as a consequence of the actions and statements by GB and the US.

If she's not trying to hold it together and instead is entertaining thoughts of division then yes she is part of the problem. I don't care who "started it." She needs to be a voice of reason here and unite while others are foolishly trying to divide.

Of course while in the meantime hedging her bets and working behind the scenes to make sure the EU will be able to be strong either way. But this is not the type of rhetoric that should be coming from her mouth, and should not be the first course of action even if the US/Britain "started it."

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Good on Merkel. I really hope mainland Europe is able to distance themselves from these backwards-ass countries and thrive.

Top Bottom