• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Milo Yiannopoulos, Frequent Defender of Pedophilia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratrat

Okay, good point.

Obviously he doesn't see it that way from his perspective, but yes... a very good argument can be made that he was harmed by that experience.

But I do try and make a habit out of taking people at face value on their beliefs. If he says he wasn't damaged, I won't second guess it. Just like how if someone is a member of a religion and they tell me what their beliefs are, I'm not going to go to their holy book and point to passages I think contradict that, to argue that they don't really believe what they're telling me they believe.

But I digress.

Oh, I should add, I take them at face value unless they give me reason not to.

And yes, this asshole has done that by suddenly pretending to care about the gaming community with gamergate et al.

He defended pedophiles because it was 'LOL OH SO CONTROVERSIAL' would be my best guess. Now it's coming back to hurt his 'credibility' with the right.
Part of his facebook post:
The videos do not show what people say they show. I *did* joke about giving better head as a result of clerical sexual abuse committed against me when I was a teen. If I choose to deal in an edgy way on an internet livestream with a crime I was the victim of that's my prerogative. It's no different to gallows humor from AIDS sufferers.
He seems horribly confused.

From what I gather he made these statements on some Republican show and they outted him on twitter. Yes, in the last 24 hours. The fallout is going to be delicious.

Thanks for getting me up to speed. Yea I'm looking forward to having the alt-right being attached to him as he gets attacked.

Said this one twitter but I find it hilarious that this guy has such a hard on for Lena Denham and how toxic she is to the left. Wait, no, he said she represents the left and what kills me about that statement is he is no different than her. When she explained that she touched her little sister, she got rightful shit about that. And even he was one of those people shitting on her even when she tried to "clear" her message. She eventually admitted her wrong doing however. It doesn't matter how artistic he speaks because he think that makes him smarter, this disgusting video places him right in the same bucket as her. He protected child abuse and reduced it to these kids partaking in it as consent. And he can't even admit his wrong doing. Fuck him

Well, by ignore I mean not giving him a platform to spew his shit.

That would certainly help, but I don't know how society can completely stop a guy like Milo.

Attention sustains him, but so does hurting people. If he had none of the former, he would just do the latter to the most vulnerable people he could find, on his own if he had to.

Mega

Banned
If everyone just ignored this guy, he'd lose whatever power he has and disappear.

Nah. People who hate him and love him will continue feeding him, so not happening. Since he has come out in support of pedophilia and critics now are merely calling him out on what he already knows/believes, he will draw this out by obfuscating the issue and pretending he's taken aback. I think he likes this, all of this that he's doing, and all that's being said about him. Some people get immense joy out of being the center of attention. Reminds me of Trump, minus the easily offended part.

Btw I'm not remarking that people do/don't talk about him, do/don't give him a platform, etc. Just stating he's a narcissistic sociopath that's probably unphased and loving all of this.

Kensation

That would certainly help, but I don't know how society can completely stop a guy like Milo.

Attention sustains him, but so does hurting people. If he had none of the former, he would just do the latter to the most vulnerable people he could find, on his own if he had to.
Sure, we're not going to be able to completely silence guys like this without changing as a society and stop giving people like this a platform unchecked. A tall order indeed.

Fuchsdh

Read the whole post.

I read the whole post. I'm not sure how starting all topics on GAF now with "let's set up strawmen!" is at all conducive to quality discussion. It's pointless moral signaling, here or in threads where all the posts are "where are the 'but he was no angel?' posts in shootings and the like.

When people start going into semantics about the term, and start discussing hebephilia (11-14) or ephebophilia (15-19), it's time to be really suspicious of what they're trying to normalise and it's all still sex with minors by older people.

I mean, it makes sense to distinguish between sexual attraction to pre-pubescent and pubescent adolescents, especially as scientists still are unclear if the paraphilias have the same root causes or are different. I don't see where that needs to affect how we talk about the legality of sex with minors though—it's a bright and generally inflexible line because it errs on the side of protecting children.

I think the main issue is that the internet is now enough of a global phenomenon that while "don't feed the trolls" is still generally good advice, those trolls can still be fed by the comparatively small minority of people who genuinely agree with him and are magnified by the platform. The fundamental good and bad thing about the internet as a form of connectivity is it let people know they weren't alone.

This also doesn't quite work with ideologically motivated trolls, which I dunno if Milo is, but like the questions of whether Trump is really a racist or not, is sort of a distinction without a difference at this point.

Really weird the general difference in tone in this thread versus the other one...

If everyone just ignored this guy, he'd lose whatever power he has and disappear.

Don't ignore him but definitely be against inviting him on shows to speak and make his viewpoint seem as nothing more than a "difference in opinion".

Fuchsdh

speaking from inside, you have no idea how much they actually differs hha

I meant that people tend to lump child brides and a lot of that outdated stuff onto the Muslim world/the Orient when there's a lot of similar parallels in western history and even niche groups today.

Lot easier to target trans and Muslim people in American society, but being pro-pedophilia is a no go with the vast majority of people regardless of the political spectrum. Interesting to see what CPAC will do. Really shows a shift in their demographics that they'd even entertain the idea of making him a major speaker. I'm guessing religious right types were upset already, this will throw them over the edge.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
There's a difference between not ignoring someone and giving them a platform. As was recently pointed out, Oprah learned that the hard way when she once had Klansmen on her show to "debate" and "expose" them, and just ended up promoting them by associating them with a world-famous brand (her own).

It is why Richard Spencer was worried about the Nazi Punch. He and his ilk were excited at the prospect of being able to appear in public and essentially be given a legitimizing platform by not being treated with hostility. As just another group expressing their views.

It is the reason Westboro Baptist Church often makes national headlines for a moment whenever they go protest, but they're not commonly invited on every major talk show to hear their interesting perspective. And the few times one of their representatives were, absolutely nothing of value came from it (other than the lesson learned to not do that shit again).

I will admit that what's going on here with Milo is probably part of an organic process. Every time this situation comes up, people must decide whether someone or some movement is worth taking seriously, is legitimate. The very arguments over whether or not to give Milo his platform are part of the process. After the Maher appearance, it looks like a lot more people decided "no this is trash". And now, there is this.

Lot easier to target trans and Muslim people in American society, but being pro-pedophilia is a no go with the vast majority of people regardless of the political spectrum. Interesting to see what CPAC will do. Really shows a shift in their demographics that they'd even entertain the idea of making him a major speaker. I'm guessing religious right types were upset already, this will throw them over the edge.

Trump also just confirmed he will be speaking at CPAC so its gonna be weird if they keep Milo on as the keynote speaker. The conference is on friday, its gotta be high panic time there especially as today is a holiday in the USA.

Nategc20

Banned
This dude is a professional troll and its an act. A friend of mine knows his boyfriend and it couldn't be as much as an act. Some of you guys are taking the internet too seriously.

faint.

I knew this guy had crazy beliefs (nothing specific, though), but I still defended him when it came to having the right to free speech at UC Davis and stuff.

Hearing him talk about this Father Michael character like he did something good, though. Ugh.

Got

Banned
This dude is a professional troll and its an act. A friend of mine knows his boyfriend and it couldn't be as much as an act. Some of you guys are taking the internet too seriously.

oh shit, we got a guy who knows a guy and knows better than others

a dash of taking the internet too seriously too boot. what a rebel.

edit:

oh shit, you're the dude who thinks rampant pedophilia in a sports organization isn't worse than someone cheating at football. damn.

Screen_Shot_2017_02_20_at_8_46_25_AM.png

sphagnum

Banned

Of course a lot of it is an act, we already know that since his opinion about gamers turned on a dime once GG happened. The problem is that it doesn't stay confined to Milo but spreads outwards and energizes the alt right.

It doesn't matter if he just wants to make money. The end result is what matters. Internet trolling had gone beyond stupid stuff isolated to certain websites and has begun ruining world politics.

And? People are still damaged and hurt by his rhetoric. It still galvanizes insane bigots to ruin the lives of sexual, ethnic and gender minorities. We take it seriously because it has serious fucking consequences.

oh shit, we got a guy who knows a guy and knows better than others

a dash of taking the internet too seriously too boot. what a rebel.

edit:

oh shit, you're the dude who thinks rampant pedophilia in a sports organization isn't worse than someone cheating at football. damn.

Screen_Shot_2017_02_20_at_8_46_25_AM.png
Probably is a Penn St alumn?

What does it matter if he's genuine or not? Spreading hate because you sincerely believe in it and spreading hate "as an act", either way the effect is pretty much identical.

rjinaz

...Jesus.

It doesn't matter if it's an act (it isn't). He's spreading hate. We have him on tape here actually advocating for young teen boys to let grown men have sex with them. He harasses people online, did it so much twitter gave him the boot.

Words can have actual consequences. It doesn't matter if "it's just a joke bro" if the words are damaging to people.

You do of course realize that is how people justify the racist things they say and other things like that, by just calling it a joke? It's how they can try and get away with it, and people like you buy into it. No, he's a shitty person that just likes to make other people feel shitty if not worse.

Kurdel

Banned

If an act affects peoples lives, it isn't an act any more.

SerTapTap

Literally zero people have been pissed off sheerly because they think it's wrong to THINK what he says (it still is, but that's not the point). Idiotic deflection that his moron supporters love. No I won't be polite in tearing down people who defend awful people with pathetic excuses.

Fuchsdh

I'm not really sure about that. I think the election of Trump and how he dominated religious conservatives proves that either religion is in practice way down on the list of priorities for how they vote, or that they have essentially abandoned all religious principles for voting in favor of abortion being the single yes/no wedge. How else does Cruz lose massively to a guy who barely understands basic tenets of Christian faith and is a serial philanderer?

Armaros

So the people hurt from his targeted attacks are also acting?

Sorry about that Messi, you always been good people
Phil0sophy probably didn't know I was a victim of pedophilia (or hebephilia if we're being pedantic) at the age of 11. So yeah, I don't have a particularly kind response to someone accusing me of supporting pedophilia because of my religion.

Not

Banned
So either we shut this guy's platform down so his ideas don't spread, or we don't give him any of the attention he craves.

Lose-lose.

EDIT: ^ Well, that's one way. Holy shit, did we finally discover a Conservative line in the sand or will pedophilia become normalized too as long as they can go after poor people and women?

Matty77

Phil0sophy probably didn't know I was a victim of pedophilia (or hebephilia if we're being pedantic) at the age of 11. So yeah, I don't have a particularly kind response to someone accusing me of supporting pedophilia because of my religion.
It was a bullshit accusation anyways, and I like to think your religious beliefs are why your the compassionate caring person you seem to be, since it's all interpretation and no amount of assholes who practice Islam devalue you or make your way of practicing your faith invalid or hypocritical.

On topic glad they canceled his appearance. That's what I mean by not ignoring him, in fact not ignoring Milo in this instance led to him losing not just another platform but one where he is accepted.

krazen

So either we shut this guy's platform down so his ideas don't spread, or we don't give him any of the attention he craves.

Lose-lose.

EDIT: ^ Well, that's one way. Holy shit, did we finally discover a Conservative line in the sand or will pedophilia become normalized too as long as they can go after poor people and women?

Everyone likes kids and dogs.
Women, Gays, Minorities, not so much...

Now all we gotta do is find a video of Trump kicking a puppy and boom, impeachment.

SerTapTap

Hope this starts to tear a rift between the "standard" republican party and the filth of the neo nazi 'alt right'. I'm seeing lots of milo lovers pissed at conservatives and making excuses.

Glad Republicans found their balls, for once. I'll insult trump supporters all day but if they decide to come back from the brink I'll accept them as much as I accept any reasonable person I disagree with.

Nerazar

It's good to see that there is at least SOME moral boundary left with the GOP. Too bad that it literally starts with raping children - groping women, letting people die on the street or surpressing votes is still OK, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom