• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2017 Regular Season OT - 108 years in the making

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

Freddie Freeman takes grounders at third base:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3vNYgGHe2o

Freeman says the decision to move to third base was his idea. Added he could be cleared to swing a bat as early as Friday. #Braves

Freeman says he mentioned the idea a couple weeks ago. Met with John Hart, Coppy & Snit yesterday to tell them he's "completely onboard"

Freeman: "I'm confident, going in with a positive attitude. We've got to keep the best lineup out there" #Braves

Freeman: "my mindset is coming back as a third baseman. My mind is one hundred percent on third base" #Brave

Freeman: "I'll do anything to help this team win. Me moving to third, if that's what it is, I'll do it" #Braves #onUp

Freeman said he's ahead of schedule. July 14 was targeted return date but added he hoped to return for final series before AS Break in DC

Snit on Freeman taking grounders at third: "Wash is really optimistic about what he's seen from him" #Braves

Freeman will travel with the #Braves to San Diego & Oakland to get extra work in with Ron Washington at third base. #onUp

Freeman: "If me moving to third base to keep a bat like Matt Adams' in the lineup is the best choice, then I'm going to do it" #Braves
https://mobile.twitter.com/KevinMcAlpin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzDYgRc6eic

Looks like Freddie Freeman is officially moving to 3B and they are going to keep Matt Adams at 1B. What a world. Proposed lineup when Freeman comes back:

Inciarte
Phillips
Markakis
Freeman
Kemp
Adams
Flowers
Swanson

Sounds good. Now, if they actually had a decent rotation, they might actually contend for the Wild Card considering how weak the NL is as a whole this year.

Well, Brian Snitker just did an interview. He said Freeman would only play 3B through the remainder of the season and then they would re-evaluate.

like, if there was any chance freeman could play third, why are they waiting until now to try it? that would add immense value

Because there was too much risk and not enough logical reason in trying it. It's not like the Braves had a red-hot 1B prospect in the system that Freeman was blocking (think Ryan Howard/Jim Thome with the Phillies). Freeman is playing on an MVP level. Nobody, either in a trade or the free agent market, is worth asking him to move because you never know how someone is going to play in a new environment. Two words: Dan Uggla.

This all only happened because Freeman got injured. They immediately went out and signed James Loney, but traded for Matt Adams a few days later. Nobody on earth expected that Adams would be producing like this to nearly the same level as Freeman. He was just going to the bench for the rest of the season until Freeman came back unless they traded him. Adams cannot play anything other than 1B. Freeman played 3B his entire life before being drafted. So they will do it now, but only because they were given the luxury of having to take an extended look at Adams at 1B.

Snitker also provided caution, reminding everyone this is just for the remainder of the season. They will re-evaluate after. They could get a handsome haul for Adams at the deadline, but I think the Braves are beyond trading folks now because it's clear this lineup could be bonkers with both Freeman and Adams. They also need to sell tickets in a new stadium.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
the thought of moving freeman to third to make room for matt adams long-term amuses me
Oh it's so dumb. Freddie can barely move to his side. His good defense comes from his hands and height, his lateral movement is trash. But he does have a great arm?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
from that interview just now it sounds like they might actually do it. this will be interesting.......

BigAT

Our long national nightmare is over.

cD90C3g.gif

Line_HTX

ESPN even had footage of Cody when he was a kid, DansGame

huh, still confused, guess I never heard it called deep third base

makes me even more confused about an inside the park hr

How deep is it?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And how are you confused about inside the park HR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom