• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2017 Regular Season OT - 108 years in the making

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

Just saw the highlight where Judge's tooth got knocked out during the walk-off celebration. Now he has a bigger gap than Strahan.

Fuck, that looked super painful though.

MC Safety

I'll never quite know why Lucas Duda was so hated within the Mets fanbase(WS error aside I still see a lot of people just calling him an awful player). They'll learn from their mistakes when he pulls a Murph/Turner and hits 40 HR somewhere in the AL East next year.

Here's a good article about him from 2014: http://m.mlb.com/news/article/102967716/rising-in-fame-lucas-dudas-quiet-manner-the-same/

He's not awful, but it's likely he won't ever be healthy (or "on") enough to hit 40 home runs in one year.

zulux21

heh if the next 30 games go like the last 30 games the white sox will have the worst record in baseball before the end of august.

here's hoping :)

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Ethier, framed picture of Tommy Lasorda, a case of Farmer John Dodger Dogs, and a signed Clayton Kershaw bobblehead for Sonny Gray.

fletch-new.gif

I agree not for darvish

but verdugo is kind of blocked for playing time

He's blocked this year, but there is a spot in LF if Chris Taylor takes over at 2nd next year and beyond. Dodgers still have Logan signed up until next year though.

I feel like Dodgers have some great trade pieces that teams should be happy with what the Dodgers give them. Calhoun is a great hitter he just doesn't fit on a NL team due to his shit defense. He's actually the better hitter out of he and Verdugo. He has a lot of power, average, and strikeouts are kept to a minimum. An AL team should want him for DH. Dodgers also have 2 catchers in Ruiz (age 19), and Will Smith (age 22.5). Smith is a great defensive catcher (throwing, blocking, framing) and although he doesn't hit for high average, his OBP is great. He's improving in hitting for power. He's athletic like Barnes. He's currently in AA was the 1st round pick last year. Ruiz is in A+ and is a great defensive catcher, and also a great hitter. As he gets older he'll add more power. So to me, another great trade piece is Will Smith as I prefer Ruiz's upside. There is also Santana and Mitchell White. Santana has been a great surprise this year and has risen in the Dodgers ranks. I would personally deal him over White, who I feel is only going to have even more value by next season as he rises up the ranks like Buehler.

Those guys are probably the prospects Dodgers would part with, because they have high value, but not as much for the Dodgers. Another prospect that I could see dealt is Dustin May, who is a bit like Grant Holmes (main piece in getting Rich Hill). He's still in A so a ways to go until he's ready for the Majors so I bet Dodgers would be more willing to part with him. Personally, I would rather keep Keibert Ruiz and Mitchell White. I would be pretty bummed out if they're dealt because I think others at the moment could net us what we want in a package with Calhoun. Buehler isn't even a factor as he's in that Urias, Bellinger, Seager tier of prospects.

BFIB

Rumblings here on local St. Louis radio about the Cards looking at trading Lynn for prospects to the Yankees, then using those new gotten gains on a larger deal for Donaldson.

If the Cards could get Donaldson, then go shore up LF in the offseason, this team could quickly reload. Still gotta do something about the manager though.

Rumblings here on local St. Louis radio about the Cards looking at trading Lynn for prospects to the Yankees, then using those new gotten gains on a larger deal for Donaldson.

If the Cards could get Donaldson, then go shore up LF in the offseason, this team could quickly reload. Still gotta do something about the manager though.

Really dunno where they'd put him

I mean, you can always find a spot for a bat like Donaldson, but Gyorko has had borderline-elite defense at 3B (second only to Arenado if I remember). You could move him to 2B I guess, but then Wong has to be moved. Or maybe you sell high on Gyorko.

Cardinals have to do a lot of cleaning up of their collection of 30-35 2-3 WAR players

Line_HTX

Magic promises Dodgers will win the World Series this year. Oh, really? You gonna do some "stuff" behind the scenes?

*Double Reppukens and picks sf2 up off the ground throw "Stand up!"

Could explain Price's struggles all season as well.
After Panda, Boston fans and media have little patience and sympathy for under performing big contracts.

Well, they must be used to them by now:

JD Drew, Jose Offerman, Edgar Renteria, Ramiro Mendoza, Keith Foulke, Matt Clement, Dice-K... I mean those are just the ones that pop right into mind.

He's blocked this year, but there is a spot in LF if Chris Taylor takes over at 2nd next year and beyond. Dodgers still have Logan signed up until next year though.

toles is expected back next year too

also, what do they do with Gonzo ? unless they dfa him and eat the rest of his contract he would force belly into the outfield as well

McBryBry

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXGHPiUh9vj/?taken-by=yadier_marciano_molina&hl=en

Yadi going after the beloved leader of men.

The smartest thing Matheny could've done is say "Kelly has caught Weaver all year. So he's catching him today." But instead, he does this and pisses off the most loved man in St Louis. Molina should be willing to give up some time for Kelly but this quote didn't help that much.

Also, the picture has been liked by Pham, Wong, Garcia and Siegrist last I checked. Matheny is losing the clubhouse.

The smartest thing Matheny could've done is say "Kelly has caught Weaver all year. So he's catching him today." But instead, he does this and pisses off the most loved man in St Louis. Molina should be willing to give up some time for Kelly but this quote didn't help that much.

Also, the picture has been liked by Pham, Wong, Garcia and Siegrist last I checked. Matheny is losing the clubhouse.

Hate to defend Matheny, but Yadi needs to take some days off. He's old and getting older and catching is hard. Can't wait to see him refuse to give Carson Kelly time 3 years from now

Really bad way to phrase it on Matheny's part tho

(if it gets Matheny fired then great)

McBryBry

Hate to defend Matheny, but Yadi needs to take some days off. He's old and getting older and catching is hard. Can't wait to see him refuse to give Carson Kelly time 3 years from now

Really bad way to phrase it on Matheny's part tho

(if it gets Matheny fired then great)

Oh I totally agree. Carson is the future of this team and needs playing time. I really doubt him catching the pitcher he's caught all year is worth yelling about. But its like Matheny didn't pause to think "this could piss our All-Star catcher off..."

toles is expected back next year too

also, what do they do with Gonzo ? unless they dfa him and eat the rest of his contract he would force belly into the outfield as well

Yeah Toles is coming back, but Verdugo would be played over him if it came down to them. Verdugo looks like he could be a great leadoff hitter the way he's hitting right now and his arm is better. Imagine the two arms of Puig and Verdugo in the corners. Logan makes it difficult though. He was first brought over due to his ability to hit lefties so that still holds value.

Think Gonzo said he's fine with having a limited role. Though his role depends on how he produces this season when he comes back as he will absolutely get guaranteed playing time for a while. A guy like him would deservedly get a fair chance to produce.

GOOD

Mozeliak should see the writings on the wall

BFIB

He commented under a screenshot of a direct quote from Matheny. Do you think Molina is accusing the reporter of misinterpreting what Matheny was clearly saying?

I didn't really get a chance to look deeper, just saw Molina's comments and figured he was trying to protect the clubhouse.

But yeah, Matheny needs to go. No way ownership sides with Matheny over Molina.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
http://www.latimes.com/sports/mlb/la-sp-mlb-international-play-20170728-story.html

In an effort to increase baseball’s popularity around the world, Major League Baseball plans to move 13 regular-season series to various international sites.

The Dodgers and San Diego Padres could play in Mexico City next April, as The Times reported earlier this month. That series would be the first of six planned for Mexico from 2018-21. Commissioner Rob Manfred has said he considers Mexico a candidate should the league decide to expand.

Under the new collective bargaining agreement, made publicly available for the first time Friday, the commissioner’s office and the players’ union agreed to this international plan:

2018: Opening day in Asia, series in Mexico in April, series in Puerto Rico or the Dominican Republic in May.

2019: Opening day in Asia, series in Mexico in April and May, series in the United Kingdom in June.

2020: Opening day in Asia, series in Mexico in April, series in Puerto Rico or the Dominican Republic in May, series in the United Kingdom in June.

2021: Series in Mexico in April, series in Mexico in May.

The league also plans a total of four spring training series in Mexico, Puerto Rico and/or the Dominican Republic from 2018-20. In addition, the league plans postseason tours to Japan after the 2018 and 2020 seasons and tours to what was listed as “Asia or Mexico” after the 2017 and 2019 seasons.

The teams selected to play in each series have not been announced.

cool stuff

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Steve Gelbs @SteveGelbs

Apparently the Rays have contacted Curtis Granderson. They want the "We Follow Lucas Duda" Instagram account. Trade talks are ongoing.

Nothing short of a prospect for the account, Grandy!

Velcro Fly

Jason Heyward sort of argues a borderline strike call. Next pitch he strikes out swinging. Then the ump literally is following him back to the dugout jawing at him.

Seriously what the fuck baseball. Fix these egomaniac umpires.

TS-08

Hope Robbie Ray is okay

108mph off the bat straight to his head

edit: looks real bad... fuck

That was brutal. That ball bounced off his head and flew high enough into the air for Descalso to run down and catch it on what was actually a nice play.

Hope Ray has a quick recovery. I was glad to see that he seemed pretty alert as they were carting him off at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom