• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mom carrying baby without brain to term to donate the organs

Status
Not open for further replies.

hirokazu

I did not expect these some of these reactions in this thread. I kinda wonder what crazy kind of shit must've happened to some of you to make you so bitter about this.

Linkura

Usually I'd be against carrying a baby with no chance of survival to term, but if there's the ability to donate organs, I'm all for it. That's a fantastic idea I've never thought of before. The mother is a wonderful person.

Media

You all are treating her as a hero. She's not a hero. She's a woman with a choice and that's it. Her path isn't any more or less difficult to overcome than any one else's.

I've had a miscarriage. I've also carried two babies to term and one almost to term and I disagree with this, I'm sorry.

You had to terminate, I'm very sorry for that, but most women in her position would terminate as well and move on with their lives. She's essentially carrying a dead baby to term, which is a sacrifice of the body, in order to help others, and I think that's commendable. I would have terminated, because then at least I could start the healing process.

Look through the beginning of the thread and my thoughts are the same as GAF about the mother ❤️🖤💓💛💗💚❣️💖💙💕💜💞💝
<3

Demoskinos

Not even sure how to respond to this to be quite frank. A very brave and selfless woman. I feel bad for her knowing that her child will be DOA.

kirblar

Usually I'd be against carrying a baby with no chance of survival to term, but if there's the ability to donate organs, I'm all for it. That's a fantastic idea I've never thought of before. The mother is a wonderful person.
Yeah, usually the issue is that you're giving the newborn a painful death sentence. But because of the circumstances here, that's not a concern. She's doing the world a tremendous service here.

Mr. X

Doesn't change my opinion of the people responding to this topic. I have nothing bad to say about the woman or her situation. I just don't, and won't ever, believe her actions are of heroism. It's simply her way to process her grief and her tribulations.
Doing it for herself or not, she'll be a hero to kids and their families these organs benefit.

Hero is a label other people give, not one you can call yourself.

Not

Banned
How on earth can the ENTIRE brain be missing?

It's crazy how many normal humans there are, knowing every tiny thing that could go wrong. Life is nuts.

How on earth can the ENTIRE brain be missing?

It's crazy how many normal humans there are, knowing every tiny thing that could go wrong. Life is nuts.

It's not literally the "entire" brain; that's just a short way to say it for the headlines.

Afaik the brain stem is still there and able to regulate things like blood pressure, heart rate, and other bodily functions for the fetus. The higher centers of the brain necessary for life beyond the womb aren't there though.

FreeMufasa

Doesn't change my opinion of the people responding to this topic. I have nothing bad to say about the woman or her situation. I just don't, and won't ever, believe her actions are of heroism. It's simply her way to process her grief and her tribulations.

Looool. Seriously what's wrong with this dude?

Attention starved, I guess. Can't just respond to the story like a normal person because that would go unnoticed.
Because I'm not putting the actions of some one else's loss over my own losses? Sorry I'm not putting her story on a pedestal just because you think it should be there.

You all say you wouldn't chastise a woman for choosing to terminate a pregnancy, but that's exactly what you're doing here. You're putting her story as some heroic tale and be damned if some one chooses differently.

Moppeh

Banned
You all say you wouldn't chastise a woman for choosing to terminate a pregnancy, but that's exactly what you're doing here. You're putting her story as some heroic tale and be damned if some one chooses differently.

I think they are chastising you for refusing to see her choice as brave or heroic. You choosing to terminate your pregnancy seems to have very little to how people are replying to you.

I'm going to count the posts that damn all of the (I'm sure millions) of people in the situation of having the option to take a baby to term with organs but no brain:. ...

Now I'm going to count the posters who are massively projecting and acting irrational in response to a feel-good story: 1

Anyone want to check the math here?

Because I'm not putting the actions of some one else's loss over my own losses? Sorry I'm not putting her story on a pedestal just because you think it should be there.

Like I said, you should look into therapy. It's not always about you and perhaps a professional can help you work through it. You're projecting a lot in this thread.

Who is saying this?

prag16

Banned
I don't find her any more commendable than any other woman getting a poor prenatal diagnosis, whether they choose to carry to term or terminate.

Wait wait wait.

Wait.

Person A: Finds out baby has no brain; decides to carry it to term anyway in order to donate the organs to other babies.

Person B: Finds out baby has Down syndrome. Gets an abortion.

Did you seriously just say these situations are equivalent in your eyes? What's wrong with you. I didn't read all subsequent replies and I'm assuming you got dogpiled. Well deserved.

Frankly, this is one of the most powerful stories I've seen in awhile. I can't imagine the pain and the will and the hope carried by this mother. "Our Eva is alive" indeed. That is the spark of hope. That is what heroes remind us of. That good in the world is eternal even when evil looms over the horizon.

I wish nothing less than Happiness for her and her family after and during pushing through this hard hard road.

Frankly, this is one of the most powerful stories I've seen in awhile. I can't imagine the pain and the will and the hope carried by this mother. "Our Eva is alive" indeed. That is the spark of hope. That is what heroes remind us of. That good in the world is eternal even when evil looms over the horizon.

I wish nothing less than Happiness for her and her family after and during pushing through this hard hard road.

Agreed. How many children can be saved by those organs? Sorry but that really going out of ones way to help others. It's a bit different than just aborting right away and disposing of the remains.

To carry to term *just* to provide help to other babies in need....yea...heroic.

I'm interested - could you give me an example of something you would consider to be a heroic act? Doesn't have to be related to pregnancy or anything like that - just generally speaking.

prag16

Banned
Eye for an Eye is trolling y'all hard. No one is that fucking stupid.

I don't know if she is stupid (assuming she; sounded like it from having to terminate twice, etc, unless it's a he and his wife terminated; anyway...) or trolling.

This could be as some have suggested massive projecting. Possibly some extent of guilt/bitterness over her own situation. Harboring such feelings would be understandable, but if it's strong enough for this type of insane reaction to the story in the OP... yeah, getting some help may be warranted.

Wait wait wait.

Wait.

Person A: Finds out baby has no brain; decides to carry it to term anyway in order to donate the organs to other babies.

Person B: Finds out baby has Down syndrome. Gets an abortion.

Did you seriously just say these situations are equivalent in your eyes? What's wrong with you. I didn't read all subsequent replies and I'm assuming you got dogpiled. Well deserved.

Yeah, it's called the loss of a child/pregnancy. Yeah, it's fucking hard to go through. One situation isn't any better or easier to deal with, they both fucking suck. Is the death of a child from cancer any worse than the death of child from SIDS? Is the loss of a child who happens to be a soldier anymore difficult to a mother who loses her child from suicide? Is the soldier's mother suppose to be less sad because she gets a pat on the back and the comforting words of "your child is a hero"???

A loss is a loss. But I do not agree she is a hero to the world for carry the pregnancy. While she may have the intentions of donating the organs, it may or may not be medically viable option.

Yeah, it's called the loss of a child/pregnancy. Yeah, it's fucking hard to go through. One situation isn't any better or easier to deal with, they both fucking suck. Is the death of a child from cancer any worse than the death of child from SIDS? Is the loss of a child who happens to be a soldier anymore difficult to a mother who loses her child from suicide? Is the soldier's mother suppose to be less sad because she gets a pat on the back and the comforting words of "your child is a hero"???

This is now 'whataboutism'.

A loss is a loss. But I do not agree she is a hero to the world for carry the pregnancy. While she may have the intentions of donating the organs, it may or may not be medically viable option.

But that's her choice, right? And she may not be a hero to the world but she's a hero to the lives of the infants her child's organs will save, right?

hirokazu

Boohoo, you have had losses so no one is allowed to praise someone else when they selflessly turn their own loss into something positive. Boohoo why isn't anyone telling you you're a hero for having had to deal with loss.

Seriously, get over yourself. I don't know you and maybe you're different in person, but the impression most people are getting of you in here is that you you're a selfish prick.

prag16

Banned

Yeah you're right. There's a chance the organs won't end up viable. Shit. She should have just given up.

You may be the most cynical person I've ever run across on the internet. And this is the internet we're talking about. (I didn't want to say selfish also, but the poster above me just did... and if the shoe fits...).. Get help.

VanWinkle

Nobody is saying she's a hero for carrying the pregnancy. It's because of the REASON she is carrying the pregnancy. That shouldn't be that hard to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom