• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000 Season 11 |OT| It Stinks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rothgar

Just finished Repitilicus, and the writing was really good. It feels like MST3K is really back. I wasn't sure about Jonah before today, but I liked him. The only negatives are Gypsy's and Tom's voice. It hard to tell who's talking during the movie as all of the three voices are somewhat similar.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Just finished Reptilicus, I liked it a lot. As others have pointed out the pace is definitely a bit more...nonstop, and so it feels like there isn't room to breathe at times, but on the other hand I actually laughed out loud like five times so they're doing something right

Geist-

So, just finished the last episode
and I'm assuming they didn't actually kill off Jonah right? Or are they doing a new test subject every season? Or was this an ambiguous ending on the assumption they wouldn't get renewed?

Sliver

So, just finished the last episode
and I'm assuming they didn't actually kill off Jonah right? Or are they doing a new test subject every season? Or was this an ambiguous ending on the assumption they wouldn't get renewed?

Check out the surface of the SoL during the last episode credits

mreddie

Almost finished with S11 but

Top 5 this season so far

Beast of Hollow Mountain (PANCHITO!)
Yongary (WHAT THE SHIT)
Cry Wilderness
Avalanche (The riffing saves the film)
Reptilicus

Rest are good but these 5 are the standouts to me.
I think Reptilicus I might have been too harsh on.

Jake

Almost finished with S11 but

Top 5 this season so far

Beast of Hollow Mountain (PANCHITO!)
Yongary (WHAT THE SHIT)
Cry Wilderness
Avalanche (The riffing saves the film)
Reptilicus

Rest are good but these 5 are the standouts to me.
I think Reptilicus I might have been too harsh on.

I think this season has had a surprisingly high hit episodes to miss episodes ratio, even compared to past seasons of the show. I actually credit that success to... the higher rate of riffs. Once you get used to it, it ends up meaning more jokes land in any given handful of minutes, than in the old episodes. It all still feels a little more manic than I'd like, but man I want a season 12 now to see what they do with a chance to do a rev on everything.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
So is it as good as it used to be? Gunna watch this soon

No. But it's good, and better than it could have been, and I suggest not judging the season by Reptilucus alone. It suffers from so much of the riffing being pieced together in post, but MST is a really hard format to do well, and you can see them settle into it as the season goes on. They'll get there, I think, and Jonah has the chops to carry the show. Servo should have a more distinctive voice, though.

noquarter

Just finished the first episode, Reptillicus. Was pretty good, but they don't let up with the riffs. It seemed lke there was never a silent moment in that film, if the movie was speaking, there was a joke, sometimes jokes over the movie speaking.

I think this season has had a surprisingly high hit episodes to miss episodes ratio, even compared to past seasons of the show. I actually credit that success to... the higher rate of riffs. Once you get used to it, it ends up meaning more jokes land in any given handful of minutes, than in the old episodes. It all still feels a little more manic than I'd like, but man I want a season 12 now to see what they do with a chance to do a rev on everything.
Glad you say you can get used to it, after the first episode I was really thinking about just going back to the older ones. Just like to have a little bit of breathing room in the movies, sort of like watching the movie and have some jokes in addition, than have jokes anytime the movie isn't voicing something.

Did notice that the amount of riffs does mean there is a chance that every 5-10 mins I will hear something that makes me chuckle at least. Think there is a part in Reptiliicus towards the end where thre is like three of four jokes, rapid fire, in like a 30 second gap between the movie going. One of them got a smile out of me, and then I thought about what just happened, since it did happen so fast.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Beast of Hollow Mountain was great..

I agree though the ending
with a fucking dinosaur surprised me. But now I realize...Cowboys vs. Dinosaurs. You could do something cool with that.

I think I'm gonna love Star Crash, already the goofy effects, bizarre delivery that puts Lucas to shame, and the suit of Space Police Robot L is amazing.

My issue with the non-stop riffing is that it makes it hard for me to follow both the movie and the jokes. I start to concentrate on one or another after a while. The jokes are funny though, so I'll probably just watch it again later to catch more of them.

Watching Reptilicus now, and I was worried that the show wouldn't have the same impact that it once had. There is a much larger arena for this kind of format, especially with RLM's BOTW, Cinema Snob, Rifftrax (yeah, I know they are the same group), cinematic titanic and ton of other youtubers that have taken up this mantle. But this episode is working for me, I think the new cast has a pretty good chemistry so far. The intermittent bits are a bit hit and miss, but once they get into the movie. I can see this working.

Felicia Day is the weakest link for me, she is no Dr. Clayton Forrester or Pearl Forrester. But I can get over that.

Finished the season last night. Faves were:

Beast of Hollow Mountain
Cry Wilderness
The Land That Time Forgot
The Time Travelers
At the Earth's Core

Least was probably Avalanche. It was hard to like because the movie itself just sucked. I looked it up and Corman slashed the budget and the director rewrote the script ("underwrote" according to the original screenwriter). Also, the fake snow really was styrofoam which the production didn't clean up before they left. Spring was a rude awakening for the town/resort.

Hope the team gets another season and its nothing but Doug McClure classics.

gabbo

I'm working through Avalanche and and it feels the most like an old episode. Slow as hell experiment, they guys slowed the riffing down a bit to compensate. Best yet.

It's weird, I really didn't find Cry Wilderness all that funny, but I really enjoyed Reptilicus. Cry Wilderness did get better towards the last quarter of the movie.

Then there's The Time Travelers.

That's as far as I've got so far, looking forward to more though.

gabbo

What the hell is with the commercial/host segment during the Beast of Hollow Mountain with the dancing. That's weird, even for this show.

Jacce

Banned
I love how Joel didn't miss a beat to bring back Invention Exchange. He got his start as a prop comic (and MST3K was essentially a vessel for his prop comedy). He loves that stuff.

Blader

I love how Joel didn't miss a beat to bring back Invention Exchange. He got his start as a prop comic (and MST3K was essentially a vessel for his prop comedy). He loves that stuff.

He said he didn't feel strongly one way or the other about bringing it back, but did so because of fan demand.

Personally, it's one of the Joel-isms I could've done without, but whatever.

What the hell is with the commercial/host segment during the Beast of Hollow Mountain with the dancing. That's weird, even for this show.
It was reenacting the weird parade in the movie. Then Jonah and the Mars take it to an exaggerated level. It's reminiscent of the rubber band segment from Racket Girls, after the short "Are You Ready for Marriage?" Where Mike has the rubber band and it snaps, then Dr. F and TVs Frank freak out. Seemed normal to me.

Venture

OK, Yongary is my favorite so far. Really funny episode. What is with these monster loving itchy kids?

I love how I didn't notice that the Mads
stole ideas from riffs
for the invention exchanges.
That was great. Been loving most of the invention exchanges so far. Tiny Desk is brilliant.

It was really fucking weird.

I thought they were
setting up some redemption for him. Aside from choking a raccoon, he really wasn't all that bad. He just wanted to kill a character who had less development and screen time than him.

I'm actually finding myself enjoying Avalanche where sometimes I lose track of the commentary. Rock Hudson's jerkass husband and Robert Forster make it entertaining.

At the Earth's Core might be my favorite episode. The pacing is so bizarre and oddly disturbing despite the bad effects and the riffs are fire.

gabbo

It was reenacting the weird parade in the movie. Then Jonah and the Mars take it to an exaggerated level. It's reminiscent of the rubber band segment from Racket Girls, after the short "Are You Ready for Marriage?" Where Mike has the rubber band and it snaps, then Dr. F and TVs Frank freak out. Seemed normal to me.
Ah, see now that makes more sense to me. Though ive never seen that particular Mike episode to put the [to me] weirdness in context

MisterR

He said he didn't feel strongly one way or the other about bringing it back, but did so because of fan demand.

Personally, it's one of the Joel-isms I could've done without, but whatever.

Yep, never been a big fan of invention exchange.

Lately I've been going back and forth between Season 11 episodes and old Season 1 & 2 ones I hadn't seen before but that I have on VHX. The Beast of Hollow Mountain reminded me a little of The Black Scorpion, and upon checking IMDb they were closer than I realized. The actors who were Pancho, Panchito, and Felipe in The Beast of Hollow Mountain were in The Black Scorpion, too. Released in neighboring years.
04y1gW2.jpg

gabbo

Yep, never been a big fan of invention exchange.
I would take entire episodes of invention exchanges if it means we never get anything the same level as the late-series Pearl-in-time garbage. Some of the exchanges were quite clever/funny

Felicia Day is the weakest link for me, she is no Dr. Clayton Forrester or Pearl Forrester. But I can get over that.

Watching Avalanche now, and this is one of the funnier episodes so far.
Felicia Day get's some points for her duet with Neil Patrick Harris.
. This is a really good revival of MST3K, the Kickstarter was a success.

Sanjuro

I love how much Jonah gets it, even through basic body emote.

For me, there really isn't anything to complain about and I'm being completely honest. I came in ready to complain about everything. They exceeded any and all expectations.

I need another season, but I like much of this better than Mike.

Venture

Lately I've been going back and forth between Season 11 episodes and old Season 1 & 2 ones I hadn't seen before but that I have on VHX. The Beast of Hollow Mountain reminded me a little of The Black Scorpion, and upon checking IMDb they were closer than I realized. The actors who were Pancho, Panchito, and Felipe in The Beast of Hollow Mountain were in The Black Scorpion, too. Released in neighboring years.
04y1gW2.jpg
Willis O'Brien was involved in both films too. Effects for Black Scorpion and the story for Beast of Hollow Mountain. They even have somewhat similar plots. I was surprised to learn The Beast of Hollow Mountain is the earlier film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom