• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000 Season 11 |OT| It Stinks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin1025

Banned
Off topic but has Netflix said when/if they are going to add more of the old episodes to their catalog?

It's super weird. Shout! Factory got the rights to MST3K, but their streaming service only had 30 episodes. Netflix currently has 20. I wonder if they only acquired the name and format and all that entails (and home video), but if the licensing on some of the movies have left some of the other episodes from being streamable. I don't know enough, maybe someone else can expand on it!

It's super weird. Shout! Factory got the rights to MST3K, but their streaming service only had 30 episodes. Netflix currently has 20. I wonder if they only acquired the name and format and all that entails (and home video), but if the licensing on some of the movies have left some of the other episodes from being streamable. I don't know enough, maybe someone else can expand on it!

There are episodes sprinkled everywhere including the free streaming eps on their official youtube page. I imagine they simply don't want to release everything in one place, and also you have the old episodes being sold so giving them all to a streaming service would cut into those sales. Rifftrax now sells episodes for example and been slowing adding to their catalog

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Shout Factory does not (and most likely never will) have the rights to stream every episode.

Streaming availability will most likely be based on the rights they have secured for DVD set sales for the foreseeable future.

SeanC

Oh darn

I watched about half of the episodes on VHX early before the Netflix release and now I have to re-watch them on Netflix so they get the numbers up.

Oh darn.

mclem

I've been trying to work out a way I can reasonably convey to Netflix "If you fund a series 12, I will subscribe" without actually already being a subscriber. It's easy enough to imply that through, well, viewing if you're an existing viewer, but not so easy to offer that metric from the outside.

Cafeman

There is a relatively popular gif from Reptilicus that has been bouncing around the internet for years.

kuva_1247668191.gif

Oh man, ep1 Reptilicus, with the hilarious character Peterson had me in tears laughing, the scene where he panics and runs out to the porch on his way to the police station, and the gang dubs scooby panic sounds ... that actor is hilarious as is but the gang's sound FX for him , interspersed with the German accent scientist "where is my beaker??" was comedy gold! I lol'd a couple times in this ep. I remember seeing Reptilicus on Saturday afternoon when I was a little kid and loved it back then.

Ep 2 is Cry Wilderness, I liked it less. The film itself was more uninteresting to me. So far Ep1 > Ep2 for me.

androvsky

I've been trying to work out a way I can reasonably convey to Netflix "If you fund a series 12, I will subscribe" without actually already being a subscriber. It's easy enough to imply that through, well, viewing if you're an existing viewer, but not so easy to offer that metric from the outside.
Sign up for free month, watch nothing but MST3K, unsubscribe at the end of the month.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
Lately I've been going back and forth between Season 11 episodes and old Season 1 & 2 ones I hadn't seen before but that I have on VHX. The Beast of Hollow Mountain reminded me a little of The Black Scorpion, and upon checking IMDb they were closer than I realized. The actors who were Pancho, Panchito, and Felipe in The Beast of Hollow Mountain were in The Black Scorpion, too. Released in neighboring years.
04y1gW2.jpg

Not only that, but Willis O'Brien, the special effects guy from The Black Scorpion (as well as King Kong) came up with the story and co-wrote The Beast Of Hollow Mountain.

Off topic but has Netflix said when/if they are going to add more of the old episodes to their catalog?

If you have Comcast, you can sign into their streaming website and right now there are about 40 episodes available to stream. Additionally, the MTS3K youtube account has 22 full movies and you can find just about any episode if you really wanted to by just searching the episode number and title via Youtube, although the video quality tends to vary.

So got a few more episodes in. Starcrashers was a good time, and The Beast From Hollow Mountain had my favorite in-between sketch out of them all so far. Avalanche wasn't too bad either.

I do think Cry Wilderness was the weak one so far, and having it followed by The Time Travelers wasn't the greatest. But I am really looking forward to more. After I finish these up I'm gonna watch the 'Collection 1' that they have up on Netflix with the wife so she can see some of the classes.

Still deciding if I'm going to actually have her watch Manos The Hand of Fate. That is borderline cruel and unusual punishment.

Venture

I've got that Christmas That Almost Wasn't theme song stuck in my head. It's bizarrely catchy.

Speaking of music, how great is the Skeleton Crew band? Just got finished listening to Patrick Swayze Christmas. Their covers of classic MST3K tunes are becoming one of my favorite parts of the show.

I've got that Christmas That Almost Wasn't theme song stuck in my head. It's bizarrely catchy.

Speaking of music, how great is the Skeleton Crew band? Just got finished listening to Patrick Swayze Christmas. Their covers of classic MST3K tunes are becoming one of my favorite parts of the show.
I agree with your thoughts about the Skeleton Band. I just wish there were more songs they covered. When you binge them like I did, you hear the same ones over and over and the charm wears off a bit. But when I first realized they were MST3K covers my mind was blown.

So at the beginning of some episodes where they talk about spilling some of the film liquid, is that when they need to trim the movie down a bit to make it fit an episode, or is it a gag that will be brought up in future?

Jake

So at the beginning of some episodes where they talk about spilling some of the film liquid, is that when they need to trim the movie down a bit to make it fit an episode, or is it a gag that will be brought up in future?

Seems like it's the former.

Seems like it's the former.
It's absolutely the former.

I think it is to acknowledge that they are editing the movie down. In the old days the access to the original movies was probably fairly limited. These days it is assuredly much easier. So better to get out in front of that before people start crying foul.

Why does Jonah get sucked up into the tube and then we cut back to the start of the show where at the end of the theme song it's like he never left? Where did he go? It's bugging me. Halp

Frimaire

Why does Jonah get sucked up into the tube and then we cut back to the start of the show where at the end of the theme song it's like he never left? Where did he go? It's bugging me. Halp

I think the premise is that he's sucked out to re-enact the intro every episode.

Blader

Joel mentioned that Servo and Crow's return to the SOL would be explained in S12, if it happens.

And yeah, Jonah mentions at the start of ep. 2 that Kinga forces him to re-enact the show open every time.

Opto

Banned
I think the premise is that he's sucked out to re-enact the intro every episode.

Yeah, Kinga's liquid technology apparently can't splice in the original show opening. It's just another stack of silly of constantly making Jonah re-enact everything. He's constantly being sucked out of and then back into the SOL, which has to add to the attempt to make him go insane

gabbo

That doesn't make much sense. Oh well.

Also is this show in continuity with the other shows? Everyone went back to Earth with Mike in the last episode.

Due to how some of Kinga's liquid tech works (or doesnt as the case may be) he has to reeneact the opening every time

mclem

That doesn't make much sense. Oh well.

Kingachrome doesn't do recording very well, so he has to perform it live each time. Else he gets poked with a cattle prod.

(Although given that he's got a screen projected in front of him, where's that footage coming from?)

Matesamo

My wife (who is ten years younger and isn't familiar with the show) thought it was the stupidest idea she had ever heard of and had no interest in watching with me. Half way through the first episode she wonders in and sits down and starts laughing. Now we are watching every episode together.

mclem

My wife (who is ten years younger and isn't familiar with the show) thought it was the stupidest idea she had ever heard of and had no interest in watching with me. Half way through the first episode she wonders in and sits down and starts laughing. Now we are watching every episode together.
Any idea what the 'gateway riff' was?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom