• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000 Season 11 |OT| It Stinks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joel mentioned that Servo and Crow's return to the SOL would be explained in S12, if it happens.

And yeah, Jonah mentions at the start of ep. 2 that Kinga forces him to re-enact the show open every time.

You'll notice when he gets dropped back into his spaceship that one of the screens says something like "Show opening re-enactment - Try to have fun with it - signed Kinga Forrester"

I love the gag and wish they'd gone all out with it and had Jonah do 14 different takes.

Why does Jonah get sucked up into the tube and then we cut back to the start of the show where at the end of the theme song it's like he never left? Where did he go? It's bugging me. Halp

Well I have the definitive answer...

If you're wondering how he eats and breathes
And other science facts,
Just repeat to yourself "It's just a show,
I should really just relax

Watching the early episodes of the season on Netflix instead of the backer site. Avalanche is a lot funnier than I remembered. Maybe I was just in a bad mood during the first watch.

SeanC

Going back and rewatching a few here and there, I don't think there's a bad episode in the bunch to be honest. It really felt like the show never left and it came back a pretty polished machine (aside from a rough pilot, but Reptilicus is such a good/fun dumb movie).

Loved the characters, Servo's voice is probably the only thing I bump up against because Murphy's was so distinct to it, but after a while I didn't notice and Vaughn more than embraces the role.

Not

Banned
Going back and rewatching a few here and there, I don't think there's a bad episode in the bunch to be honest. It really felt like the show never left and it came back a pretty polished machine (aside from a rough pilot, but Reptilicus is such a good/fun dumb movie).

Loved the characters, Servo's voice is probably the only thing I bump up against because Murphy's was so distinct to it, but after a while I didn't notice and Vaughn more than embraces the role.

They've definitely got similar singing voices. I think that is when it clicked for me.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
The Beast of Hollow Mountain isn't actually terrible so far, it's kinda just your average Western from that era. I bet it goes off the rails once The Beast shows up, though.

bunbun777

Don't want to make a new thread but my gf who hasn't seen a full episode ever but has seen me watching it alot lately (new and old) came in and said she doesn't really like it. Mainly because they talk during the movie and that's her big peeve with movies.

Seriously guys I said some shit which was construed as rude and honestly I felt less respect for her and am questioning our relationship as a result of this. Sure I can overlook it but I felt a gulf between us and it worries me.

daveo42

Banned
Watched The Time Travelers over the weekend. Boring film, but great riff. Also a lot of wtf moments with the impromptu android manufacturing process, the musical bit, and the end. Favorite so far is still Cry Wilderness.

BANG

Einchy

I love how they keep joking about them not knowing where the beast is cus I'm wondering the same. 40 minutes in and it's nowhere to be found.

[edit]

THE BEAST LOL

Why is there even a
Godzilla
in this movie? It adds nothing, it's not like there aren't enough plots happening already.

Not

Banned
Gypsy's line at the end of BoHM about the
only dude in cinematic history to get strangled by a T-Rex
is so good

Don't want to make a new thread but my gf who hasn't seen a full episode ever but has seen me watching it alot lately (new and old) came in and said she doesn't really like it. Mainly because they talk during the movie and that's her big peeve with movies.

Seriously guys I said some shit which was construed as rude and honestly I felt less respect for her and am questioning our relationship as a result of this. Sure I can overlook it but I felt a gulf between us and it worries me.
Holy shit, dude. Listen to the lyrics, for fuck's sake: it's just a show, you should really just relax. You can still love each other without liking the other's media. I mean, I love the show but my wife doesn't watch it and that's okay. Her not wanting to watch the show doesn't mean I have less respect for her.

Starcrash was really dumb sci-fi. But I would watch again for Stella Star.

After watching this it sent me down a rabbit hole of Star Wars knock offs. Watched a bit of The Humanoid (Italian) and Message From Space (Japanese) before settling on Battle Beyond the Stars. Which actually ended up being pretty enjoyable Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven remake.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

After watching this it sent me down a rabbit hole of Star Wars knock offs. Watched a bit of The Humanoid (Italian) and Message From Space (Japanese) before settling on Battle Beyond the Stars. Which actually ended up being pretty enjoyable Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven remake.

Looking up info on these movies is part of the fun ;)

So far I think The Land That Time Forgot is the most component of the movies, I still have a few left though. I'm going to watch #9 now.

Einchy

In an interview with Variety, director Luigi Cozzi described Starcrash as "science fantasy" as opposed to science fiction.[2] Cozzi also stated that although people assume Starcrash was an attempt to capitalize on the popularity of Star Wars, he claimed that the design of the picture and its script were developed prior to the release of Star Wars
1mH4g3W.gif

SoulUnison

Banned
There's a point in Avalanche where a character starts laughing in an over-the-top manner, and someone riffs: "She saw a really funny episode of Rick & Morty last night."

Like... That's the entire "joke."
"Hey, we're aware of this popular topical thing!"

Left a surprisingly bad taste in my mouth.

Monocle

I think it's natural to feel disappointed when someone close to you doesn't appreciate something you like. That's not an indication that your relationship is in peril unless your girlfriend frequently acts like a jerk about your interests and preferences. And even then, you should probably try to talk it out before getting too carried away with questioning the relationship. It's OK for people to like different things.

Complistic

I couldn't be with someone who doesn't like mst3k either.

But for real, you don't both have to like all the same things as your partner.

There's a point in Avalanche where a character starts laughing in an over-the-top manner, and someone riffs: "She saw a really funny episode of Rick & Morty last night."

Like... That's the entire "joke."
"Hey, we're aware of this popular topical thing!"

Left a surprisingly bad taste in my mouth.
Cave Dwellers from back in Season 3 has the same kind of joke. Evil dude laughs like a madman, then stops,and Crow says, "God, I love Seinfeld." Which, at the time, would have been a contemporary comedy show.

But that's isn't the reason why hey made that joke in either case. The creators of Rick & Morty wrote for the new MST3K and are (likely) good friends with the other writers and actors. Just like how Jerry Seinfeld is good friends with Joel Hodgson.

So it's not a "hey, we are aware of popular thing" joke. It's a "we are going to name drop our friends's stuff" joke. Which they have done since the beginning of the show.

Retro

Honestly, the dated or less obvious references in MST3K are part of it's charm, especially the random upper Midwest bits peppering the earlier seasons that people in other parts of the world would be completely oblivious to. There's also a lot of references to music that were dated even when the show first aired, especially progressive rock ones, but I always thought it gave the show a kind of "dudes you'd get high and listen to records with in the basement" kinda vibe.

I mean, there's a quick Brian Eno reference in Reptilicus that gave me a chuckle and I'm fairly sure most people don't know who the hell he is. For every reference that doesn't really stick, somebody gets it and laughs.

The Land that Time Forgot was just one long stretch of boring which is quit the feat actually.

I...I like this movie and watch it once every couple years. It's probably just because I first saw it at an impressionable age.

Speaking of boring, I just finished watching the duet between Kinga and Neil Patrick Harris during Avalanche and I must be the only person who can't stand all of this musical junk they've been slipping in. It's not really the show's fault--I don't like that sort of thing in most contexts.

I also REALLY don't like when the bots move during the movie or Gypsy randomly floats down with a hot zinger in the holster.

Cry Wilderness was fantastic, though.

Cave Dwellers from back in Season 3 has the same kind of joke. Evil dude laughs like a madman, then stops,and Crow says, "God, I love Seinfeld." Which, at the time, would have been a contemporary comedy show.

I didn't mind the Rick & Morty joke, but if you did want to analyze it I suppose you could say the character in Cave Dwellers seems like someone who could have actually watched Seinfeld, being played by a white guy in his 30s(?), while the grandma in Avalanche certainly isn't someone who would be watching Rick & Morty.

SoulUnison

Banned
I also REALLY don't like when the bots move during the movie or Gypsy randomly floats down with a hot zinger in the holster.

Why, specifically?
I've actually felt kind of happy that Gypsy is getting more screen time, though I wish it was with her previous voice.
Somehow, Gypsy losing her crazy drag queen voice has been the greatest loss of the new series to me, so far.
The whole previous run of the show I think Gypsy made it into the theater, like, maybe twice.
I remember she showed up to riff during - I think it was one of the Hercules movies - and it felt like a big deal, haha.

I didn't mind the Rick & Morty joke, but if you did want to analyze it I suppose you could say the character in Cave Dwellers seems like someone who could have actually watched Seinfeld, being played by a white guy in his 30s(?), while the grandma in Avalanche certainly isn't someone who would be watching Rick & Morty.
You're REALLY overthinking it.

This probably wouldn't seem as big a deal if I was watching them more spread out, but Elmer-Fudd-voice hunting jokes in 1105, 1106, and 1107 seemed a bit much consecutively.

darksagus

I've seen the first 4 episodes and really enjoy it. Cry Wilderness is by far my favorite, just for the ridiculousness of the movie. Looking forward to watching more.

Blader

The only thing I don't really like about the bots moving is that a lot of the time Jonah doesn't even acknowledge they're doing something, and it breaks the feeling of them actually sitting together in a theater.

Agreed about Gypsy though. None of her riffs have been funny.

Ferrio

Banned
Making my way through the 3rd ep before I fell asleep last night. Nice to see a reference to the
"It Stinks!"

Volimar

A couple episodes seemed kind of flat for me. Avalanche for one. Maybe it's the "bigger" films just had a different vibe. Not bad, just not the same level as some of the others. Overall I really enjoyed it.

Sou Da

The only thing I don't really like about the bots moving is that a lot of the time Jonah doesn't even acknowledge they're doing something, and it breaks the feeling of them actually sitting together in a theater.

Agreed about Gypsy though. None of her riffs have been funny.

Really? Most of the time I see him either look up or say something about it.

I've only just hit avalanche though.

Seriously though was Cry Wilderness originally a nature doc or?

Venture

Yeah, I ended up liking new Gypsy. She's kind of an amalgam of Gypsy and Magic Voice. I wouldn't mind them working her into the theater segments more.

I also enjoy the Bots interacting with the screen stuff. It feels forced in early episodes but it leads to some hilarious bits by season's end. Kind of reminds me of the more loose, playful nature of the CC season 1 episodes.

Retro

Totally surprised at the Hark! A Vagrant shout out in Episode 13, didn't expect a random mention of a web comic that's largely about history and literature. I didn't think it was that well known.

Frimaire

Totally surprised at the Hark! A Vagrant shout out in Episode 13, didn't expect a random mention of a web comic that's largely about history and literature. I didn't think it was that well known.

I just read a few of these and damn, if they aren't the most Canadian thing ever.
They're like comic versions of those Canadian Heritage Minutes.

Venture

Well, I just finished the season and I'm really pleased with how it turned out. They really finished strong. Starting with Yongary they hit their stride and it was a run of great shows right to the end. They only thing I question is the whole
wedding
storyline. It was just... odd.

Einchy

Someone in the writer's room is super into VR, pretty sure each episode has had a VR joke.
The end of The Loves of Hercules... Lmao.

Man that film was horrendous. Great riffs though!

The best line is when someone tries negging and they say something like, "that subreddit was right, they're totally into me".

Retro

I just read a few of these and damn, if they aren't the most Canadian thing ever.
They're like comic versions of those Canadian Heritage Minutes.

Yeah, the artist is from Nova Scotia, and though she dabbles in a lot of historical stuff she does tend to favor the Canadian history. There's actually a few where she outright references the Heritage Minutes too, like this one. Very smart and she has a style that's fun to look at (early comics are a bit rough, as you'd expect).

Wizards of the Lost Kingdom movies feel like a middle schooler's notebook got mistaken for a scipt.

Oh, good idea. They should riff the Eragon movie next season.

Just finished Star Crash.

Sweet mother of creation, this is the first time i've actually found a movie on MST3k to be so bad it's actually painful to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom