• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Champion Kyrie Irving is a flat Earth truther

Status
Not open for further replies.

JC Lately

So far my blanket challenge to flat Earthers to prove they're right by pushing me off the edge of our flat world to my death goes unanswered.

LakeEarth

How do flat-earthers explain flying over these "ice walls". or has one on the planet ever done it apparently. Also, flying East or West and to get to the same place
You don't get it, pilots are in on it. NASA is in on it! Scientists are in on it. Cruise ship and cargo ship captains and crew are in on it. Computer scientists who make things like GPSs are in on it. Gallaleo was in on it. The sun and the moon are in on it. Redbull did that space jump a few years back, so they're in on it too. Everyone's in on it.

And why? Because... because... be... because.... ?!?!?!

Apathy

He has money, he could easily be proven wrong. Just go to where you think the edge of world is and keep going and find out where you end up. Fuck the internet giving a voice to every idiot out there was such a bad idea sometimes.

Surfinn

Must be nice to prioritize something this incredibly stupid. It's like rich people get bored and start caring about shit that obviously isn't true purely for entertainment purposes.

mike6467

I've thought about this more, and I think if I were in their position I'd probably fuck with media too. I mean, I guess you have a brand to worry about, but it seems like pretty good entertainment to throw stuff like this out there and then watch the response.

Really, really hoping this whole thing is just a troll attempt.

Edit for:
At the very least I hope this is the case. I mean you got kids who look up to these people.

quote-i-m-not-a-role-model-just-because-i-dunk-a-basketball-doesn-t-mean-i-should-raise-your-charles-barkley-1-84-35.jpg

I admit my idea was short sighted and didn't consider the influence athlete's have over kids. It would still be fun as a social experiment, I'd probably make my own religion or have a fake existential crisis with various phases.

Boke1879

I've thought about this more, and I think if I were in their position I'd probably fuck with media too. I mean, I guess you have a brand to worry about, but it seems like pretty good entertainment to throw stuff like this out there and then watch the response.

Really, really hoping this whole thing is just a troll attempt.

At the very least I hope this is the case. I mean you got kids who look up to these people.

dakun

quote-i-m-not-a-role-model-just-because-i-dunk-a-basketball-doesn-t-mean-i-should-raise-your-charles-barkley-1-84-35.jpg

I admit my idea was short sighted and didn't consider the influence athlete's have over kids. It would still be fun as a social experiment, I'd probably make my own religion or have a fake existential crisis with various phases.

Charles Barkley got so much heat for that.. basically parents across the USA were like "how dare you tell us to raise our kids?"

I respect Barkley alot.

And to come back to this topic. If you can make someone believe the earth is flat, in my opinion, there is nothing that you couldn't make this person believe with little to no effort. Quite dangerous.

i-Lo

Given that the president of america has made facts more irrelevant than ever, is it much more surprising to see people disguising their ignorance as legitimate questions at best and outright facts at worst?

What a shit show.

I don't think you have to be dumb to believe something like this. You just have to be very gullible and lack common sense. You could probably still have good studying skills and problem solving and lead a normal life believing this bullshit. It all comes down to people being brainwashed by conspiracy crap on the internet and not having the foresight to think "maybe this guy is full of shit"

Tommy DJ

Like I said in the NBA thread, this has to be one of the key reasons why Coach Pop forces his players to learn about non-basketball shit. Not only is it completely stupid to believe the Earth is flat, its completely reckless for anyone in a position of media visibility to make these claims in a way that could be perceived as serious. This is how we get Jenny McCarthy give credence to the anti-vaxxer movement despite literally having no qualifications to make such statements.

If you listen to the podcast, he really goes into the deep end. Shit like JFK getting murdered by global banks, the education system being designed to lie to us, and NASA making up data about Mars to fool us. It could be a huge troll but I sort of doubt it considering how in depth he gets.

Like I said in the NBA thread, this has to be one of the key reasons why Coach Pop forces his players to learn about non-basketball shit. Not only is it completely stupid to believe the Earth is flat, its completely reckless for anyone in a position of media visibility to make these claims in a way that could be perceived as serious. This is how we get Jenny McCarthy give credence to the anti-vaxxer movement despite literally having no qualifications to make such statements.

If you listen to the podcast, he really goes into the deep end. Shit like JFK getting murdered by global banks, the education system being designed to lie to us, and NASA making up data about Mars to fool us. It could be a huge troll but I sort of doubt it considering how in depth he gets.

dude you don't have to be a believer to be indepth about conspiracy theories, they're interesting and hilarious. kyrie is on some classic troll behavior and has probably skyrocketed the subscribers to RJ's podcast. You're the gullible fools who are falling for it.

catmincer

I remember the reddit thread where this guy's parents didn't believe in Finland and that Nokia was owned by the Japanese because reasons.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
That's really the most bizarre part of the flat earth nonsense, it's so much work to keep up this supposed ruse for nothing.

They say it's to turn people away from God, so you will never convince them.

People here saying he's a troll must not have seen a lot of other flat-earthers talk. They always sound like they are trolling, but they are not, they are just completely convinced of what they say that people think they're being played.

Tommy DJ

dude you don't have to be a believer to be indepth about conspiracy theories, they're interesting and hilarious. kyrie is on some classic troll behavior and has probably skyrocketed the subscribers to RJ's podcast. You're the gullible fools who are falling for it.

Then you make it clear that they're interesting and hilarious. When you say all of these things then double down by claiming that the educational system has told you a lot of falsehoods, that's when it stops being a harmless troll. This is an era when the President of the United States is calling just about everything fake news, with the majority of his supporter base lapping it up.

Its neither enlightening or amusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom