• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Champion Kyrie Irving is a flat Earth truther

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then you make it clear that they're interesting and hilarious. When you say all of these things then double down by claiming that the educational system has told you a lot of falsehoods, that's when it stops being a harmless troll. This is an era when the President of the United States is calling just about everything fake news, with the majority of his supporter base lapping it up.

Its neither enlightening or amusing.

lol, it's amusing to anyone smart enough to realize how well he's helping out his teammate and friends fry/ally/RJ. the media is a toy and citizens treating professional athletes opinions with any more of a grain of salt than you would give a promo on WWE RAW is the only sad part about any of it. Kyrie is literally a professional entertainer, not a goddamn scientist your kids should be idolizing intellectually.

Tommy DJ

lol, it's amusing to anyone smart enough to realize how well he's helping out his teammate and friends fry/ally/RJ. the media is a toy and citizens treating professional athletes opinions with any more of a grain of salt than you would give a promo on WWE RAW is the only sad part about any of it.

Which is a problem that anyone with a huge amount of media access has to deal with.

It doesn't change the fact it is still immensely reckless because people do still take the opinions of athletes/actresses/comedians seriously when they probably should not.

Jenny McCarthy is just an actress who claims that she isn't anti-vaccine these days but her claims in the past that vaccines cause autism was and still is incredibly dangerous. People shouldn't take her seriously but people still did.

FFBLmtj.jpg

The true shape of the earth.

Talents

Banned
A guy I used to know who I have on Facebook legitimately believes the Earth is flat. He constantly shares random links from weird websites and youtube videos of people calling the Earth flat and explaining why. Whenever a video is shown of ISS or whatever and it shows the crew floating in space, his way of refuting it is that they're in water. In. Fucking. Water.

Aikidoka

And just think that Eratosthenes measured and calculated the circumference of Earth (within 15% of the correct value according to wiki) in like 240 B.C.E.... in a cave with a box of scraps.

Trey

yeah, he thinks the world is flat. I don't even think this particular example works as an overarching point against the rise of "fake news" given that it's a widely accepted and easily verifiable claim that more importantly doesn't have a lot of stake in people's lives.

His goal is to promote critical thinking, but it's firmly in the brand of conspiracy and rejecting "norms" pushed by conventional education and the government. Which is an excellent point in the case of Christopher Columbus and slavery, not so much so with moon landing being faked and a flat Earth.

MIMIC

Banned
I'm confused as fuck. In some interviews, it sounds like he's dead serious. And in others, it sounds like he's just trying to troll.

I'm confused as fuck. In some interviews, it sounds like he's dead serious. And in others, it sounds like he's just trying to troll.

deadpan sarcasm...

Does it matter to you that I believe the world is flat?"

LOL @ how much it matters to so many people, he definitely proved his point with people's knee jerk reactions to such important 'news'.

Two Words

deadpan sarcasm...

Does it matter to you that I believe the world is flat?"

LOL @ how much it matters to so many people, he definitely proved his point with people's knee jerk reactions to such important 'news'.

He thinks it is flat. He has yet to refute anything that he has said. And his argument that all of this is pointless reactions is a bad one. We live in a society today where many people are in complete denial of important scientific understandings. Their denial can be harmful. Kyrie's statements only fan these people's conviction and add to the problem.

This is why the NBA needs to force these guys to stay in college for 3 years.

Wouldn't make a difference. Most of the big college sports programs are barely even bothering to have the "student athletes" do much studying or take legitimate classes. He wouldn't have much more of an education even if he had stayed for four years.

told you fools

http://cavsnation.com/kyrie-irving-admits-science-supports-round-earth/

”There's just so many real things going on, things that are going on that's changing the shape of our lives," Irving said. ”I think sometimes it gets skewed because of who we are in the basketball world. ‘Oh man, what does he actually think? I don't like Kyrie Irving because he thinks that the world is flat, or he thinks that the world can't be wrong.'

”I know the science ... The fact that that can be real news and people are actually asking me that. It's a social phenomenon, what do you think about it? Are you going to try and protect your image? No, it doesn't matter."

”It would be scientifically impossible, which I'm totally aware of that," Irving said.

”I just feel like the fact that it's even a conversation is hilarious," he said. ”That that could actually be news. It's hilarious."

The amazing thing is that he says it's not a conspiracy theory

Except for the fact that it is a theory (ie flat Earthers aren't people who have actually seen the shape of the Earth) about a conspiracy

EDIT: oh it's a troll

boiled goose

good with gravy
We live in a society that glorifies believing in having personal relationships with magical beings.

This shouldn't be surprising

tehbible

Well, I looked into this flat earth hubbub and idk, i'm kinda torn if it's legit or not.

There is ample video evidence of NASA faking space walks. That pretty much all space agencies are in on this, including ESA, and China's space agency. That they are filming these spacewalks in large underwater tanks.

Some gifs showing bubbles in space?

hqJVulQ.gif

Sw6w9QW.gif

ImlAXeA.gif

bubblesiss1-l.gif

9ggilVp.gif

2dEJo3f.gif

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Well, I looked into this flat earth hubbub and idk, i'm kinda torn if it's legit or not.

There is ample video evidence of NASA faking space walks. That pretty much all space agencies are in on this, including ESA, and China's space agency. That they are filming these spacewalks in large underwater tanks.

You are trolling with this shit, right?

I really hope this is just a joke

Diamond

hqJVulQ.gif

Sw6w9QW.gif

ImlAXeA.gif

bubblesiss1-l.gif

9ggilVp.gif

2dEJo3f.gif

It's not bubbles it's dead astronauts' souls.

hqJVulQ.gif

Sw6w9QW.gif

ImlAXeA.gif

bubblesiss1-l.gif

9ggilVp.gif

2dEJo3f.gif

Quoting this to remind everyone that we're in a thread about a guy trolling people about thinking the Earth is flat. Take a step back and ask, is this post also a troll post?

valkyre

he is obviously trolling folks... its not the first time he trolls people, just look at the whole Uncle Drew thing.

Any liquid in zero G is going to look more like a bubble than what we're used to.

I'm just wondering what corner of the internet he scraped all those gifs off of.

What the hell? I was a freshman at Duke when he was, and I never remember hearing anything about him being dumb as a rock. To the contrary, the only rumors I heard made it sound like he was pretty smart.
One of my co-workers is an intelligent and well educated adult and she is a for hard flat earther. This stuff isn't about intelligence and it's barely about education.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom