• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Berserk anime (Update: Second movie in Japan - Jun 2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.

7Th

Yoshihiko Umakoshi's character designs for the original adaptation were way better than the ones seen in the PV, but I guess he was too busy drawing colorful magical girls to work on this project.

I really don't understand the point in creating a new Berserk anime series when the manga is still many years off till being completed. Unless they're going down the Hellsing and releasing one or two episodes a year.

Here's hoping we'll never see an episode of Guts being forced to get his driver's license or something

Novid

Banned
tokkun said:
Mmm...I don't know about that. I think he's drawn as pretty feminine throughout and it has more to do with the way Miura wants to portray him in a specific scene versus a transformation.

For example, here is a scene from Volume 6:

griffithv6.jpg

that part was so fuck awesome in the most fucked way.:lol :lol :lol

C.Dark.DN

Banned
viewtifulsub said:
I really don't understand the point in creating a new Berserk anime series when the manga is still many years off till being completed. Unless they're going down the Hellsing and releasing one or two episodes a year.

Here's hoping we'll never see an episode of Guts being forced to get his driver's license or something
13 volumes were covered in the first 25 episodes. They could re-do it and do 60 episodes without filler. Which is more than a lot of anime. And a lot of episodes to drool over.

viewtifulsub said:

Well, there's already been one anime. Covering less than a third of the manga.

tokkun

viewtifulsub said:

That's easy, they just end the anime at the point the manga started sucking.

East Lake

viewtifulsub said:

Yeah it seems ill-advised until it ends or Miura dies. I stopped reading at 309 though so I don't know how it has been going lately.

tokkun

icarus-daedelus said:
What part was that? Honest question, as I stopped reading the manga quite a while ago.

Personally, I think it started sucking
shortly after the Mazgus/Apostle Behelit arc, once Guts has multiple children following him around, magic starts playing a big role, and Guts gets the Berserk armor.

And even if you don't agree with that, I'm pretty sure everyone can agree that vol. 30-31 is the low point of the series. Basically 2 years of filler where Miura had Guts fighting his way out of a city against a repetitive stream of monsters trying to make it to the harbor.

LaneDS

InfiniteNine said:
Well I said almost finished not finished.

At the rate they're going, and given how the story just opened up in even crazier ways... I couldn't imagine Miura being anywhere close to done in seven years unless he somehow gets in gear and cranks out 2 volumes a year.

Sigh.

simtmb

tokkun said:
shortly after the Mazgus/Apostle Behelit arc, once Guts has multiple children following him around, magic starts playing a big role, and Guts gets the Berserk armor.

And even if you don't agree with that, I'm pretty sure everyone can agree that vol. 30-31 is the low point of the series. Basically 2 years of filler where Miura had Guts fighting his way out of a city against a repetitive stream of monsters trying to make it to the harbor.

Agreed with both points. I stopped reading after awhile but might get back to it soon. As for this new 'Berserk anime'. Sure it ain't just some special for the volume 35 of the manga?

If not, despite it being one of my favorite animes/manga of all time, I'm not so keen for another series. Doesn't exactly need it and what will they do? Remake the entire thing and stop yet again? Or just continue it, have it still differ from the manga, and stop it aswell since the source material isn't exactly going to end anytime soon, or will they just make up the ending and consider it done. Or better yet, end it like the original anime, then animate another in a decade or w/e.

I'm not excited for this despite my love for Berserk. Still good to see though.

tokkun said:

Woah! You can safely say that here? I've said that elsewhere and people have been like 'IT WAS ALL AMAZING SHUT UP'.

Ya, basically the same opinion.
I just couldn't handle the blatant loli witch (which was before I found out about Miura's idolmaster issues) and then the shonen power up armor.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
tokkun said:
Eh. I still say that's all important for the resolution of the series. It wouldn't mean anything if Guts didn't have anything to sacrifice by the climax. There's no way he could touch Femto without supernatural aid.

Dresden

FreedomFrisbee said:
Woah! You can safely say that here? I've said that elsewhere and people have been like 'IT WAS ALL AMAZING SHUT UP'.

Ya, basically the same opinion.
I just couldn't handle the blatant loli witch (which was before I found out about Miura's idolmaster issues) and then the shonen power up armor.
Have a disagree a little there.
I had no problems with the witch or the armor--they're obviously there to parallel Guts' quest with that of the Skull Knight. Where the manga went sour was the episode at the port where the plot combined with Miura's lack of production pretty much killed the manga's pacing.

I still think he should just have a time skip for elfhelm.

tokkun said:
Basically 2 years of filler where Miura had Guts fighting his way out of a city against a repetitive stream of monsters trying to make it to the harbor.

That's where I left off like 2 or 3 years ago. I think that was the last volume that was released at the time to. How much material has been released since then. Please don't tell me there still fighting off the waves of monsters.

How old is Miura anyways? Hopefully he doesn't die before he completes Berserk. I'd resort to fan manga if I have to for some kind of closure(like I did with Evangelion).

Snaku

Banned
Rice-Eater said:
How old is Miura anyways? Hopefully he doesn't die before he completes Berserk. I'd resort to fan manga if I have to for some kind of closure(like I did with Evangelion).

That's my main worry about Takaya and the Guyver manga. Both of these dudes need to hire some assistants and bang the rest of the story out asap.

Jex

tokkun said:
Mmm...I don't know about that. I think he's drawn as pretty feminine throughout and it has more to do with the way Miura wants to portray him in a specific scene versus a transformation.
Your probably right, I checked through my older stuff earlier. It's the original anime that has a different style.
7Th said:
Yoshihiko Umakoshi's character designs for the original adaptation were way better than the ones seen in the PV, but I guess he was too busy drawing colorful magical girls to work on this project.
Agreed, his Griffith actually looks different in the regular series time-line/vs the younger Griffith we see in the brief flashback.

Jex

tokkun said:
Indeed, that's why I imagine any adaptation would cut out a lot of the pointless fights vs things that don't impact the story at all.

Rur0ni

tokkun said:

I feel like I've agreed with your post in another Berserk thread that basically said this. That's exactly when Berserk started sucking (the spoiler). The first 20 odd volumes, awesome shit.

Oh well, maybe in another decade it will redeem itself and return to dark roots.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
The last berserk chapter i read was the one where the witch girl was introduced.:lol

YES! The first Berserk anime is one of the best ever despite the "ending"

I hope this is true because I haven't read any of the manga and I really want to know what happens next.

If the show looks like that commercial/clip, I'll be just fine with it. Too bad it appears to be a total reboot and not a continuation of the original show, but that's just being unreasonably picky at this point.

Finaika said:
I hope Gackt will sing for the intro/ending.

C'mon, son :|

Shito

Night_Trekker said:
If the show looks like that commercial/clip, I'll be just fine with it. Too bad it appears to be a total reboot and not a continuation of the original show, but that's just being unreasonably picky at this point.
If they're not toying with us and that show exists, I can see them continuing from the end of the first one, with flashbacks to explain a few things to newcomers.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
So is the series confirmed? All is it all just a big cocktease?

I don't get these Berserk started sucking when Miura introduced *gasp* fantasy elements to a fantasy horror manga complaints.

I think it's the pacing that really hurts the series, specially since it takes Miura so long sometimes to shit out chapters. The last big twist in the manga was done pretty well, and it was huge turning point in the series.

duckroll

Here's what we know so far:

- New Berserk anime is 100% confirmed
- Seems to be done in celshaded 3DCG by Studio 4C
- Format is unknown, could be OAV, OAD, movie, TV, although TV is very unlikely

Jex

duckroll said:

Sssh, people want to believe in their 100 episode-length series.

Although weren't those leaked images beyond normal widescreen size?

Edit : Yup.

duckroll

I actually feel that a Berserk movie would be really hard to pull off. Picking a specific arc to make a film out of wouldn't work that well because it wouldn't be stand alone, and I can't really see it being a satisfying experience for anyone other than hardcore Berserk fans.

I actually feel OADs make the most sense for Berserk. At this point even OVAs would be risky and possibly unsuccessful. With OADs they will tap directly into the manga fanbase and they also don't have to feel obliged for it to feel stand alone. They simply need to animate a complete arc or two.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Sssh, people want to believe in their 100 episode-length series.
You know i don't know why people want a 100-episode anime series for berserk. If that was truly the case the pacing would be terrible. Since it would most likely be a page-by-page adaptation.

Also what's the difference between a OAD and a OVA?

duckroll

Direct to video retail releases = OVA

Direct to video releases bundled with new manga volumes for a higher price = OAD

OADs are getting more and more popular as a release format especially for manga adaptations because they sell a lot better and get much wider distribution in terms of reaching directly to the target fanbase. Fans of a manga might not want to go into a video store and buy an OVA for 50 bucks, but they'll almost certainly be willing to pay 30 bucks for a new volume of the manga if it comes with an anime DVD/Blu-ray adapting part of that manga. Plus they are sold in all bookstores that carry manga.

I think at this point, if he died, the manga could still be finished. He almost definitely has some kind of plot outline (if he doesn't after these 20 years that's amazing), and reportedly he has assistants. One could assume if he died, they would pick up the slack.

Jex

FreedomFrisbee said:
I think at this point, if he died, the manga could still be finished. He almost definitely has some kind of plot outline (if he doesn't after these 20 years that's amazing), and reportedly he has assistants. One could assume if he died, they would pick up the slack.
In other words, it would get finished faster.

duckroll said:

I must've missed something. Why is TV very unlikely?

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
duckroll said:

I believe like most of Studio 4c's work it will be 2D characters with a lot 3d backgrounds and 3d camera movements.

tokkun

Freshmaker said:
Eh. I still say that's all important for the resolution of the series. It wouldn't mean anything if Guts didn't have anything to sacrifice by the climax.

I agree, but Guts' party did not have to include a wise-cracking kid and a magical girl. In The Golden Age, they managed to accrue an important group of people to sacrifice too, however those characters contributed positively to the tone of the universe. Not only were soldiers a more realistic group of companions, but they also interacted with Guts and the other members of the party in a more interesting and natural way. With the current party, the interactions are basically limited to (1) comic relief and (2) a loli crush on Guts. It doesn't hold a finger to the relationships between Griffith, Guts, Casca, Judeau, Pippin, etc.

The use of magic also came somewhat out of left field. Puck aside, the series already had the established concepts of the material world, the Interstice, and the Nexus explaining all of the supernatural occurrences. It was just weird to suddenly introduce elemental lords and whatnot.

Anyway, the most important sacrifice was already with him: Casca.

There's no way he could touch Femto without supernatural aid.

I agree again, but the supernatural aid he needed was the power of the sacrifice, not magic armor and enchanted swords.

LaneDS

metsallica said:
I must've missed something. Why is TV very unlikely?

I think TV is unlikely given the content of the series. They did a good job with adapting the Golden Age, but good luck adapting the post eclipse stuff for television.

And honestly, I am not sure I want another TV series just yet. It'll just leave people with blue balls for another ten years since there's not going to be any kind of ending there either.

If they went the OVA route and spaced out releases, that might work best in terms of being able to censor less and pace themselves as slowly as a series like Berserk would demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom