• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Berserk anime (Update: Second movie in Japan - Jun 2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.
LaneDS said:
If they went the OVA route and spaced out releases, that might work best in terms of being able to censor less and pace themselves as slowly as a series like Berserk would demand.

This is my thinking as well. OVA is really the way to go.

Not that I would turn my nose up at a television series either.

Error said:
I don't get these Berserk started sucking when Miura introduced *gasp* fantasy elements to a fantasy horror manga complaints.

What makes Berserk so great is the attention it pays to solid character development and real world dynamics and emotion. One of the things that's so arresting about the violence in Berserk (for me) is that, aside from the supernatural stuff, there's not much in these stories that real people haven't done throughout history (and continue to do, and always will) to other people. In that sense Berserk is really about exploring, as the Wikipedia page well states, "the best and worst of human nature." It's intriguing, weighty stuff, and that's what I think so many of the fans appreciate. It's not just schlocky fantasy nonsense.

So basically: fantasy elements are fine, but they can take away the focus from more substantial material.

Holtz said:

Not to mention: Forces II

Any fan of the anime who hasn't heard the Dreamcast game's soundtrack, go track it down. It's all Hirasawa. The game isn't bad, either.

Jex

LaneDS said:
I think TV is unlikely given the content of the series. They did a good job with adapting the Golden Age, but good luck adapting the post eclipse stuff for television.
That isn't strictly the main reason, the real reason is the state of the Japanese animation industry. No-one's going to green-light a long-ass show in-case they can't profit on their initial investment.

Quite a few recent shows have only been given twelve episode runs.

tokkun

Error said:
I don't get these Berserk started sucking when Miura introduced *gasp* fantasy elements to a fantasy horror manga complaints.

There are 2 things:

First, you are simplifying by saying "fantasy elements". Good fantasy works should be internally consistent. That is, they shouldn't suddenly introduce some new fantasy element deep into a series without any foreshadowing or explanation. For example, "leprechauns" are a fantasy element, but it would be disconcerting to have a leprechaun suddenly appear in A Song of Ice and Fire or The Wheel of Time series. In Berserk, we had 25+ volumes where pretty much all the supernatural stuff was governed through the Idea of Evil and a set of rules regarding the spectral plane. The sudden introduction of elemental magic just doesn't make sense. Why did we never hear of this stuff during the Midland War? It is a pure plot device that was shoehorned in because Miura wanted an easy way that he could ignore the consequences of the cursed brand and the amount of power he gave Femto.

The second thing is more important, because it ties in to the basic tone and themes of the series. Up until the arrival of witches and magical armor, the excitement of the conflict between Guts and the Apostles was always that it was a battle of man versus incredible odds. When an Apostle shows up, you know that the odds are heavily stacked against Guts and you wonder how a human being (even one with Guts' amazing strength) can possibly overcome the next enemy. Despite Guts' strength, he was always bound by certain human limitations. It would not be possible, for example, for him to suddenly jump 20 feet in the air. Giving him the Berserk armor removed any sense of his limitations to the audience. Maybe he can jump 100 feet in the air now. No one really knows. Without knowing the limitations, it's almost impossible to feel any sense of suspense. There are no hard battles anymore or any sense of despair at a new enemy. It's basically the same reason Superman is such a boring character. The magic spells only make this stuff worse. Surrounded by an entire army of monsters? Just cast the fire wheel spell and they're all dead. There's a reason that the battles against Zodd and Rude are the best in the series.

LaneDS said:
I think TV is unlikely given the content of the series. They did a good job with adapting the Golden Age, but good luck adapting the post eclipse stuff for television.

And honestly, I am not sure I want another TV series just yet. It'll just leave people with blue balls for another ten years since there's not going to be any kind of ending there either.

If they went the OVA route and spaced out releases, that might work best in terms of being able to censor less and pace themselves as slowly as a series like Berserk would demand.
Content issue didn't even cross my mind; thanks. I'm firmly in the OVA camp as well.

Imm0rt4l

I don't like a lot of the changes towards the end of the series either, but the berserk armor wasn't so much a problem for me as the introduction of his new friends and the magic. Doesn't the armor take quite a bit of a toll on guts? I haven't read the manga in a long time, but I recall guts hair was turning white, he was losing a lot of weight, and his senses were being dulled so he had this powerful get up, but at a pretty high cost.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
tokkun said:
There are 2 things:

First, you are simplifying by saying "fantasy elements". Good fantasy works should be internally consistent. That is, they shouldn't suddenly introduce some new fantasy element deep into a series without any foreshadowing or explanation. For example, "leprechauns" are a fantasy element, but it would be disconcerting to have a leprechaun suddenly appear in A Song of Ice and Fire or The Wheel of Time series. In Berserk, we had 25+ volumes where pretty much all the supernatural stuff was governed through the Idea of Evil and a set of rules regarding the spectral plane. The sudden introduction of elemental magic just doesn't make sense. Why did we never hear of this stuff during the Midland War? It is a pure plot device that was shoehorned in because Miura wanted an easy way that he could ignore the consequences of the cursed brand and the amount of power he gave Femto.

The second thing is more important, because it ties in to the basic tone and themes of the series. Up until the arrival of witches and magical armor, the excitement of the conflict between Guts and the Apostles was always that it was a battle of man versus incredible odds. When an Apostle shows up, you know that the odds are heavily stacked against Guts and you wonder how a human being (even one with Guts' amazing strength) can possibly overcome the next enemy. Despite Guts' strength, he was always bound by certain human limitations. It would not be possible, for example, for him to suddenly jump 20 feet in the air. Giving him the Berserk armor removed any sense of his limitations to the audience. Maybe he can jump 100 feet in the air now. No one really knows. Without knowing the limitations, it's almost impossible to feel any sense of suspense. There are no hard battles anymore or any sense of despair at a new enemy. It's basically the same reason Superman is such a boring character. The magic spells only make this stuff worse. Surrounded by an entire army of monsters? Just cast the fire wheel spell and they're all dead. There's a reason that the battles against Zodd and Rude are the best in the series.

I think you are ignoring a major aspect of the "magical" armour. Two in fact. The price Guts pays for having to rely on it is very high, it's draining him every day (notice the colour fading from his hair). The armour itself doesn't grant Guts super powers or anything special, it's simply a device that disconnects Gut's brain from his body is specific way. He can't feel pain so he can push himself further than any other human but the downside of of this is that he can't realise how broken and damaged his body is during a fight.

Internal injuries, bones breaking and serious burns are all issues Guts has had to deal with due to the suit.

Secondly, the Beast is able to manifest itself physically when Guts losses himself in a fight using the suit. Guts risks the lives of his companions every times he goes into battle. Every time the Beast appears it becomes harder and harder to control and it's obvious there is a tipping point approaching, with the Beast biding it's time.

I don't think your Superman comparison has any merit. Guts is still very human and is in constant suffering with everything he holds close at constant risk because of his human weakness.

=)

Erigu

duckroll said:
I actually feel that a Berserk movie would be really hard to pull off. Picking a specific arc to make a film out of wouldn't work that well because it wouldn't be stand alone, and I can't really see it being a satisfying experience for anyone other than hardcore Berserk fans.
The Lost Children arc would work, in my opinion. But yeah, apart from that...

tokkun said:
Good fantasy works should be internally consistent. That is, they shouldn't suddenly introduce some new fantasy element deep into a series without any foreshadowing or explanation. For example, "leprechauns" are a fantasy element, but it would be disconcerting to have a leprechaun suddenly appear in A Song of Ice and Fire or The Wheel of Time series.
Er... Puck?
I think that criticism mostly comes from people who were introduced to Berserk via the TV show (i.e. no Puck)...
(there were also that fortune teller in Puck's troupe (who obviously had some actual powers herself), the former inhabitants of Godot's cave, branded-Guts' numerous non-Apostle foes, and other references to magic/witchcraft here and there... plus, the Skeleton Knight might look sinister, but I don't think his powers have much to do with the God Hands)

In Berserk, we had 25+ volumes where pretty much all the supernatural stuff was governed through the Idea of Evil and a set of rules regarding the spectral plane. The sudden introduction of elemental magic just doesn't make sense. Why did we never hear of this stuff during the Midland War?
See above. It was there from the beginning, but like it's explained in the story, "fantasy" like that has been in decline for decades/centuries, in the world of Berserk. Griffth and his men just didn't run into that kind of stuff. Just into a couple of Apostles and a Beherit, as that particular supernatural element was doing quite well, thank you very much.

Dani said:
I think you are ignoring a major aspect of the "magical" armour. Two in fact. The price Guts pays for having to rely on it is very high, it's draining him every day (notice the colour fading from his hair). The armour itself doesn't grant Guts super powers or anything special, it's simply a device that disconnects Gut's brain from his body is specific way. He can't feel pain so he can push himself further than any other human but the downside of of this is that he can't realise how broken and damaged his body is during a fight.

Internal injuries, bones breaking and serious burns are all issues Guts has had to deal with due to the suit.

Secondly, the Beast is able to manifest itself physically when Guts losses himself in a fight using the suit. Guts risks the lives of his companions every times he goes into battle. Every time the Beast appears it becomes harder and harder to control and it's obvious there is a tipping point approaching, with the Beast biding it's time.

I don't think your Superman comparison has any merit. Guts is still very human and is in constant suffering with everything he holds close at constant risk because of his human weakness.

=)
This. It is no longer a physical struggle, but an internal struggle that has escalated since the beginning of the series. Guts had to deal with his dark side before, but it never manifested itself this way before he got the armor.

Of course I still liked it more before all that stuff :p

The Lost Children arc would work, in my opinion. But yeah, apart from that...
I hope they put some clothes on nudie-fairy 13yr old demon if that's the case...

I think Retribution or whatever the hell the arc is called would be better, since it's tied more to the main story than Lost Children. Since we know this is after Griffith's resurrection?

Erigu

How About No said:
Since we know this is after <spoiler>Griffith's resurrection</spoiler?
We don't even really know that. That final shot, in the CM? That's from volume 8. 'Could simply be a short flashback, but then again...
'Funny how little we know about all this.

Big One

Banned
Night_Trekker said:
What makes Berserk so great is the attention it pays to solid character development and real world dynamics and emotion. One of the things that's so arresting about the violence in Berserk (for me) is that, aside from the supernatural stuff, there's not much in these stories that real people haven't done throughout history (and continue to do, and always will) to other people. In that sense Berserk is really about exploring, as the Wikipedia page well states, "the best and worst of human nature." It's intriguing, weighty stuff, and that's what I think so many of the fans appreciate. It's not just schlocky fantasy nonsense.

So basically: fantasy elements are fine, but they can take away the focus from more substantial material.
So...what exactly are you complaining about, then? Guts is pretty much consistently a character who develops the same as he did since the start of the Golden Age. Magic may've added to the mythos to Berserk, but not to the characters. To complain is just stupid since magic has always been a part of the series in some form just not explained as thoroughly as Schrieke did. It doesn't really add anything special.

I agree the low point of Berserk's plot is probably the Millennium Falcon arc, but I don't really attribute that to the magic more-so than the slow pace of it. The character development is still consistent, however.

I think people are judging this more by the release schedule if anything, though. Berserk is released very slowly, so the story feels slower than it needs to. In retrospect I think this part of Berserk will be appreciated a lot more than it is today much like how the Retribution arc is.

Also new Berserk CM aired 20 minutes ago.

Erigu

Big One said:
I think people are judging this more by the release schedule if anything, though. Berserk is released very slowly, so the story feels slower than it needs to.
Yep, I think it's mostly that.

Jex

Erigu said:
We don't even really know that. That final shot, in the CM? That's from volume 8. 'Could simply be a short flashback, but then again...
'Funny how little we know about all this.
Yeah but the first shot is from after!
Erigu said:
Yep, I think it's mostly that.
It's completely impossible to tell. Someone earlier mentioned Gut fighting his way slowly out of somewhere for years. For me, that took about half an hour because it was long complete by the time I got around to it.

Erigu

Jexhius said:
I know! :lol

Someone earlier mentioned Gut fighting his way slowly out of somewhere for years. For me, that took about half an hour because it was long complete by the time I got around to it.
The real winners will be our grandchildren. We'll need to ask them what they thought of the series.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
FreedomFrisbee said:
I think at this point, if he died, the manga could still be finished. He almost definitely has some kind of plot outline (if he doesn't after these 20 years that's amazing), and reportedly he has assistants. One could assume if he died, they would pick up the slack.
I remember there was a chapter in berserk that revealed certain things about the worldview. However miura cut it out because it revealed to much.:lol

Jex

Erigu said:
The real winners will be our grandchildren. We'll need to ask them what they thought of the series.
As soon as I caught up with Berserk I started to have problems with it. I don't think this is a coincidence!

Every generation will have their own take.

Erigu

Lafiel said:
I remember there was a chapter in berserk that revealed certain things about the worldview. However miura cut it out because it revealed to much.:lol
Episode 83, yeah. But since it's not canonical anymore, Miura could very well choose to disregard it (which might just be why it was omitted in the first place: so he could leave his options open).

There's a good part of improvisation in the writing, as stuff like Casca and her child weren't planned at all when the manga began (so the child showing up in the beginning is just a case of Miura working up an explanation after the fact, by his own admission)... But then again, there are some elements the author had indeed planned well in advance. In the Dreamcast game, Guts was already en route for Elfhelm with Puck and Casca, Griffith was already back and forming an army of Apostles... and the manga didn't catch up with all that for years. :lol

tokkun

Dani said:

I get that point, but I feel like saying it "releases his limiters" is kind of a kop-out way of just making it magic armor. I mean, how many times prior to getting the Berserk armor has Guts exceeded the limits of pain on his own? This is a guy who fought until he passed out against 100 men, had his arm ripped off and eye gouged out and kept on fighting, etc. You might expect it to increase his power by like 10%, but when you see him battling Grunbeld, the armor obviously has made him significantly more powerful. It just doesn't make sense that he was holding all that back before during all the times he was pushed to the edge. The other thing is that he is suddenly doing all these acrobatic moves in the armor like spinning flips in the air and whatnot that seem to have nothing to do with ignoring pain.

=)

I do like the beast angle, but it has barely made a difference so far in the story. He was already battling the beast before getting the armor. Once again, the consequences of the beast and the brand were pushed aside with "magic" as the deus ex machina. Maybe if the beast actually caused him to lose control and kill Schierke or Ishidoro the armor would be redeemed.

Erigu said:
Er... Puck?
I think that criticism mostly comes from people who were introduced to Berserk via the TV show (i.e. no Puck)...
(there were also that fortune teller in Puck's troupe (who obviously had some actual powers herself), the former inhabitants of Godot's cave, branded-Guts' numerous non-Apostle foes, and other references to magic/witchcraft here and there... plus, the Skeleton Knight might look sinister, but I don't think his powers have much to do with the God Hands)
See above. It was there from the beginning, but like it's explained in the story, "fantasy" like that has been in decline for decades/centuries, in the world of Berserk. Griffth and his men just didn't run into that kind of stuff. Just into a couple of Apostles and a Beherit, as that particular supernatural element was doing quite well, thank you very much.

Puck is something of an exception because, prior to the recent events anyway, he served more as a narrative element rather than something interacting directly with the world. There are only one or two instances in the earlier parts of the manga where Puck affects any change in the world (when he hits Guts with that wand to wake him up). For most practical purposes he could have just been a voice in Guts' head. Obviously that is changing now that we've gotten into the "magic" arc, assuming they ever make it to Elfheim.

As for Skullknight, there are a few theories tying him to the power of the eclipse. Some people think he is King Gaiseric and was involved with an eclipse event 1000 years prior (evidence of this eclipse is the pile of bones in the castle where Griffith is imprisoned). Obviously he has some ties to that source of power considering he can eat Behelits and turn them into a sword.

Jexhius said:
It's completely impossible to tell. Someone earlier mentioned Gut fighting his way slowly out of somewhere for years. For me, that took about half an hour because it was long complete by the time I got around to it.

It certainly makes a big difference. For example the more recent arcs where they encounter a ghost ship might be amusing to read through quickly, but all I can think of is that this will be another year of delay before they reach Elfheim.

Erigu

tokkun said:
Puck is something of an exception because, prior to the recent events anyway, he served more as a narrative element rather than something interacting directly with the world. There are only one or two instances in the earlier parts of the manga where Puck affects any change in the world (when he hits Guts with that wand to wake him up). For most practical purposes he could have just been a voice in Guts' head.
Er... Yeah, except when he interacts with other characters as well? ^^;

As for Skullknight, there are a few theories tying him to the power of the eclipse.
Well, it's kinda obvious there's something going on between him and the God Hands, but when Puck meets him, he feels something "fairy-ish" about him. So whatever he actually is, whatever turned him into a centuries-old walking skeleton, it looks like it has more to do with the "regular" fantasy stuff than with the new "God Hand breed".

I only just watched the last episode of the original anime last night :lol

I started watching it a while back and never got around to the finish!

What a fucked up ending :lol

Also one thing i didn't understand
They show Guts with the old blacksmith again and he leaves, so he made it out of where ever the hell he was?

tokkun

DualShadow said:
Also one thing i didn't understand
They show Guts with the old blacksmith again and he leaves, so he made it out of where ever the hell he was?

Yes. The first episode of the anime takes place later chronologically than the last episode does.

Erigu said:
Er... Yeah, except when he interacts with other characters as well? ^^;

But his dialog is almost completely jokes, most of which are jokes that break the 4th wall (like references to celebrities and other anime series). That's why it never really feels like he is presented as part of the universe until the elves take on a real role in the story.

Erigu

tokkun said:
But his dialog is almost completely jokes, most of which are jokes that break the 4th wall (like references to celebrities and other anime series). That's why it never really feels like he is presented as part of the universe until the elves take on a real role in the story.
Right from the beginning of the series, Puck spent quite a bit of time with Theresia. And when we see him in the "flashback", he's still part of Judo's former troupe and the reason Guts' and Casca's wounds could be treated right away.
While it's true that he became a bit of a joke character (well, more than "a bit", unfortunately... when the sight of a normally proportioned Puck becomes downright shocking, maybe it's time to calm down with the SD version... and Puck cracking jokes over jokes over jokes while Guts is fighting to the death? I dunno, man), he's very much part of the story.

As long as arcs that seem pointless at the beginning get somewhere or have some kind of point to the overall plot, I'm fine with them. Despite them prolonging how long it takes to get to Elfheim.

One arc really did have no point to it though. Why did
Guts and Co have to fight Ganishka in the city? To show what Ganishka's powers were? Only to kill him a couple chapters later? They could easily have just gotten onto a boat and gone on their merry way without the long fight and the story would still be occurring in the same manner.
And that's coming from having been able to read it in an hour, not over several months.

When you are able to look at it all in retrospect, there are a couple fights that are drawn out longer than they should have been, just from a pacing standpoint.

Kevin

Man when are we going to find out if this is a new series or just commercials for the latest manga? The anticipation is killing me! :lol

Erigu

FreedomFrisbee said:
One arc really did have no point to it though. Why did
Guts and Co have to fight Ganishka in the city? To show what Ganishka's powers were? Only to kill him a couple chapters later? They could easily have just gotten onto a boat and gone on their merry way without the long fight and the story would still be occurring in the same manner.
I think the idea was mostly to have Ganishka demonstrate his powers in front of a whole bunch of powerful people so Griffith could become a messiah not just for Midland but for all those nations/kingdoms. Guts and co being there as well when it all went down just "added to the fun" (well, that, and character development for Farnese).

Erigu said:
I think the idea was mostly to have Ganishka demonstrate his powers in front of a whole bunch of powerful people so Griffith could become a messiah not just for Midland but for all those nations/kingdoms. Guts and co being there as well when it all went down just "added to the fun" (well, that, and character development for Farnese).

What I mean is
they could have gotten on the ship, and Ganishka could have attacked, and Griffith could have saved them. Guts and Co could have gotten to a ship and out before it became really protracted, maintaining Farnese's development. The only other thing I think that was important about it was that Guts 'Didn't care about a pissing match between monsters' but that could have really been fit in anywhere.
It could have been easily condensed.

Big One said:
So...what exactly are you complaining about, then?

Me? Nothing at all. My post was an attempt to find some explanation for the complaints other people have about the introduction of certain elements into the series. tokkun did a much better job in his post.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
tokkun said:
I agree, but Guts' party did not have to include a wise-cracking kid and a magical girl. In The Golden Age, they managed to accrue an important group of people to sacrifice too, however those characters contributed positively to the tone of the universe. Not only were soldiers a more realistic group of companions, but they also interacted with Guts and the other members of the party in a more interesting and natural way. With the current party, the interactions are basically limited to (1) comic relief and (2) a loli crush on Guts. It doesn't hold a finger to the relationships between Griffith, Guts, Casca, Judeau, Pippin, etc.

I dunno... As I see it, they're all equivalents to the characters that came before.
Silkie = Judeau (Both wise to the ways of the world though in very different ways)
Serpico = Griffith (Brilliant tactician, probably capable of besting Guts if he absolutely had to.)
Farnese = Korkus (Largely useless.)

The element that I never liked was Casca's mindless babbling fool persona. It makes no sense, and it's just annoying in every possible way.

The use of magic also came somewhat out of left field. Puck aside, the series already had the established concepts of the material world, the Interstice, and the Nexus explaining all of the supernatural occurrences.
Not entirely. Elven havens always held off demonic manifestations, and they were never considered part of the Nexus as far as I can recall. I always had the impression that the demonic gods were only part of the whole of the world rather than its only driving force. (The skull knight is also another big clue that there's a balancing force at work.)

It was just weird to suddenly introduce elemental lords and whatnot.

Anyway, the most important sacrifice was already with him: Casca.
As she is, that's not much of one. Especially if he's trying to match Femto and not simply become an apostle. (Which would be useless.)

I agree again, but the supernatural aid he needed was the power of the sacrifice, not magic armor and enchanted swords.
I've always thought the sacrifice was supposed to be a major temptation, not the answer. Puck's role has always been to reign in Guts, to help keep him from giving into the beast and show him the path back to humanity. Sacrificing everything just like Griffith did wouldn't really accomplish Guts' goal.

Erigu

FreedomFrisbee said:
What I mean is
they could have gotten on the ship, and Ganishka could have attacked, and Griffith could have saved them. Guts and Co could have gotten to a ship and out before it became really protracted, maintaining Farnese's development.
But what about Farnese being all badass in front of her father, then? Please think of the Farneses!

It could have been easily condensed.
Probably, yeah.
I think the 20 pages / episode format doesn't quite work for Miura anymore, whatwith all those 2 page spreads and all. It's like "establish where we are, what's going on, now the characters, have them do someth... fuck, it's nearly the end of the episode already! we need a climax!" over and over again, and I think we end up with, say, 5 episodes over 100 pages when it probably would have taken 60 pages or so without that rigid "20 pages / episode" structure...

Freshmaker said:
I dunno... As I see it, they're all equivalents to the characters that came before.
Silkie = Judeau (Both wise to the ways of the world though in very different ways)
Serpico = Griffith (Brilliant tactician, probably capable of besting Guts if he absolutely had to.)

Bizarre inference considering he was already defeated quite handily by gutz, and he clearly admitted he was not able to stand up to him even without his armour...Guts beat a human griffith, and he is far, far stronger than he was....no human is close to Guts in strength

duckroll

nelsonroyale said:
no human is close to Guts in strength

Yeah, isn't that the entire major plot point of why Guts and Caska are even still alive? The only reason Guts and Caska are able to survive after being sacrificed is because Guts is so goddamn strong that he prevents anyone from killing them.

Erigu said:
Probably, yeah.
I think the 20 pages / episode format doesn't quite work for Miura anymore, whatwith all those 2 page spreads and all. It's like "establish where we are, what's going on, now the characters, have them do someth... fuck, it's nearly the end of the episode already! we need a climax!" over and over again, and I think we end up with, say, 5 episodes over 100 pages when it probably would have taken 60 pages or so without that rigid "20 pages / episode" structure...

He probably does it volume by volume. Which tends to ignore chapter by chapter plot progression.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
duckroll said:
Yeah, isn't that the entire major plot point of why Guts and Caska are even still alive? The only reason Guts and Caska are able to survive after being sacrificed is because Guts is so goddamn strong that he prevents anyone from killing them.

Also, keep in mind where Guts falls due to his birth. Due to his mother being dead when he was born, that puts him between the physical realm and the interstice - which means (or if I remember someone saying) that destiny and fate is not as strongly defined for him - even though some people continue to tell him time flows like a river - a fish can jump to stop being carried by the flow, but will always fall back in.

Griffith

Banned
Sunflower said:
Also, keep in mind where Guts falls due to his birth. Due to his mother being dead when he was born, that puts him between the physical realm and the interstice - which means (or if I remember someone saying) that destiny and fate is not as strongly defined for him - even though some people continue to tell him time flows like a river - a fish can jump to stop being carried by the flow, but will always fall back in.
No, being branded as a sacrifice is what caused Guts to reside in the Interstice (a place between the physical and astral world).

The quote you're talking about (I think) is "We already subsist within the current of causality. We who exist beyond the physical are still merely shadows on the water". "It's merely half a step but you are outside the reason of this world. Maybe you aren't a shadow on the water but instead. A fish that breaches the waters surface."

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Griffith said:
No, being branded as a sacrifice is what caused Guts to reside in the Interstice (a place between the physical and astral world).

The quote you're talking about (I think) is "We already subsist within the current of causality. We who exist beyond the physical are still merely shadows on the water". "It's merely half a step but you are outside the reason of this world. Maybe you aren't a shadow on the water but instead. A fish that breaches the waters surface."

That sounds right to me. For some reason though, I could have sworn the circumstances surrounding Guts' birth had some gravity on his situation as well.

Griffith

Banned
Sunflower said:
That sounds right to me. For some reason though, I could have sworn the circumstances surrounding Guts' birth had some gravity on his situation as well.
Nah, the circumstances of Gut's birth have no part in it.

duckroll

Guts is who he is because of how he lived his life. That's the entire point of Berserk. Guts vs Griffith can be seen as the ultimate conflict of nurture vs nature.

Guts is a product of his environment - the harsh life he has led made him into who he is, and he lives the way he does because that is who he has become. Even though he is told that he cannot defy fate, he rejects the idea that there is a set path for each man. He is living proof that a man that fate had no plans for can still create his own fate by sheer willpower and strength alone.

Griffith is a product of fate - he has always had a sense that he was meant for greater things, regardless of the circumstances of his life, and even death could not stop him from attaining godhood. The true nature of Griffith cannot be changed by anyone, regardless of how close they get to him, or how much they sacrifice for him. Deep down, he was meant to be the hawk that would be reborn and to lead the world into a new order, and everything else means nothing to him. The environment does not change Griffith.

duckroll

I just saw the new ad on FujiTV. This time it's Zodd. The CM ends with Zodd posing in the EXACT same way as the leaked screen from a year ago. The tagline this time is "Berserk, rebirth".

Shirokun

Looks like the pictures leaked way back were legit. Not like I ever doubted it, or anything. Anyway, the more I see this, the more I get the feeling that it's just going to be a manga pack-in of a 5-10 minute video showing important scenes in new animation. Hope I'm wrong.

dark_chris

duckroll said:
Guts is who he is because of how he lived his life. That's the entire point of Berserk. Guts vs Griffith can be seen as the ultimate conflict of nurture vs nature.

Guts is a product of his environment - the harsh life he has led made him into who he is, and he lives the way he does because that is who he has become. Even though he is told that he cannot defy fate, he rejects the idea that there is a set path for each man. He is living proof that a man that fate had no plans for can still create his own fate by sheer willpower and strength alone.

Griffith is a product of fate - he has always had a sense that he was meant for greater things, regardless of the circumstances of his life, and even death could not stop him from attaining godhood. The true nature of Griffith cannot be changed by anyone, regardless of how close they get to him, or how much they sacrifice for him. Deep down, he was meant to be the hawk that would be reborn and to lead the world into a new order, and everything else means nothing to him. The environment does not change Griffith.

Jeezuz, this changed the aspect of Berserk for me...In a good way. I didn't think of it this way but now I do, I have come to appreciate the series more.
Thanks for the insight.

tokkun

Freshmaker said:

You can draw superficial comparisons, sure, but can you really say that the new characters are contributing as much to the story and Guts' character development as the Band of the Hawks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom