• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Final Fantasy XV cam videos - Luminous Studio tools/tech + Open world exploration

Kikujiro

Much better, thank you for sharing. Now the biggest challenge is going to be waiting nearly two months for more. You'd think that after so many years waiting would get easier, and yet two months seems like an eternity.

It was much easier before, when we didn't get any news about the game, now that we are regularly seeing more the wait is going to be difficult.

Dark_castle

The wait for the next footage/ATR/news is a lot more bearable to me now since I can just re-watch previous trailers and see if I miss anything hidden, or just for fun.

Edit: For instance, just watched the 720p reupload and saw Gladiolus doing a little hop while running, if I saw correctly at 21:46.

raven777

SE uploaded HQ 720p version of the ATR stream, but mainly for the trailers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNGDdfoGXcA

It's a bit better than the previous video, but still terrible quality.

I don't understand why they can't release the higher quality videos of these videos separately. He said at the beginning of this new video that they can only upload 720P video because of the technical limitation of their equipment.

Still, I appreciate them addressing these complaints from the fans.

Asd202

It's a bit better than the previous video, but still terrible quality.

I don't understand why they can't release the higher quality videos of these videos separately. He said at the beginning of this new video that they can only upload 720P video because of the technical limitation of their equipment.

Still, I appreciate them addressing these complaints from the fans.

LoL SE can't afford better equipment than youtubers.

HeelPower

Another aspect of FFXV that's similar to Dragon's Dogma is the ability to interact with enemies. We can climb onto tougher, larger targets and strike at their weak points and what not, and also the possibility of air combo.

I am willing to believe the game will absolutely make up for lack of multi-character gameplay.

They seem to be hard at work and investing in other aspects of the game,such as the unprecented scale in a Final Fantasy game.

Prompto sounds... interesting when he says "It's morning" or whatever, lol

he's seriously moaning almost like Vanille's english VA lol

raven777

well, remade the gifs for tech demo with 'higher' quality video.

Can't really see the difference since the it's small and quality isn't great..

LegitimateGroundedArmyant.gif

CooperativeDaringKingbird.gif

SphericalUnfitBelugawhale.gif

YawningDistinctArchaeopteryx.gif

SkeletalScratchyGermanshepherd.gif

HeelPower

Others have pointed this out already ,but I wonder why FFXV videos all look so washed out.

They are so blurry.I am thinking sub 720p here.

Bad recording by SE ? Game is still early in terms of resolution and stuff ?

Who knows.

the reason it's still bad quality is cos of the equipment that used to play the footage on the stream. It's basically a recording of the streamed version so not much point.

what they need to upload is the video files from his ipad.

Talax

There seems to be an invisible wall at the 17:03 mark in the new video......I didn't notice that before. Noctis can't seem to move past that.

There seems to be an invisible wall at the 17:03 mark in the new video......I didn't notice that before. Noctis can't seem to move past that.

I saw that the first time actually. I thought it's just because of the slope. You can see at then end of the segment Prompto actually going past where that wall would be.

Talax

Pretty sure there's some kind of fence/rail there that blocks his way.

The fence seems a bit further away though. And anyway, should have jumped the fence. Maybe the area is off-limits in the demo.

I saw that the first time actually. I thought it's just because of the slope. You can see at then end of the segment Prompto actually going past where that wall would be.

They shift over to a new scene at that point so I can't see clearly, but it does seem like both Prompto and Glad mover further up. There's a road past the fence I think.

They should have also given an overview camera panning of Duscae in the tech demo presentation. Would have been nice to view the whole area from above and see how large it is.

Ishida

Banned
Did you guys notice a red thingy glowing in the forest, right after they see the cats? When they are running you can clearly see a red "glow" or something, and I'm pretty sure it is not the lighting. (Ignore the red dot above the arrow... :p )

qeh4PPE.png

Give it a check.

They should have also given an overview camera panning of Duscae in the tech demo presentation. Would have been nice to view the whole area from above and see how large it is.

I don't think we'll get this until after the demo. If it's really true that you can only explore a bit of Duscae in the demo, they'll probably release the demo, everyone will play, and then the next trailer shows an overview "Oh, look how much bigger the area of the demo actually is".

Stark

Banned

Probably do it after the demo. I don't expect a proper World Map Overview trailer till after Episode Duscae.

Talax

I don't think we'll get this until after the demo. If it's really true that you can only explore a bit of Duscae in the demo, they'll probably release the demo, everyone will play, and then the next trailer shows an overview "Oh, look how much bigger the area of the demo actually is".

Then they should put it right at the end of the demo. Like you reach the end there's a cutscene in the open field and the camera pans out to show Duscae from above. Would be a lot more effective in jaw dropping. XD

Edit
@Stark: Yeah they haven't even shown a minimap yet so I guess expecting it before the demo is wishful thinking.

Stark

Banned
Edit
@Stark: Yeah they haven't even shown a minimap yet so I guess expecting it before the demo is wishful thinking.

They might surprise us at Jump Festa though. It is a big event and I'm expecting the first story trailer from there.

I thought for a while that summoning something the size of Leviathan would be impossible in the game as I was expecting KH style corridors. Now though, seeing the map and the scale of some of the things living there, there are only a few places where a summon of that size would not fit comfortably. Hm. Makes me wonder if we really will call them out after all.

Ishida

Banned
I thought for a while that summoning something the size of Leviathan would be impossible in the game as I was expecting KH style corridors. Now though, seeing the map and the scale of some of the things living there, there are only a few places where a summon of that size would not fit comfortably. Hm. Makes me wonder if we really will call them out after all.

I still doubt that Summing will work that way. Sure, we see a GIANORMOUS Leviathan destroying Accordo, but I don't think that good ol' Lev will be of that size when we summon it. I bet they are going to come with a clever way of how summon works, though, but just unleashing that 10,000 feet monster into the wilderness to kill some Garulas and stuff? I highly doubt it.

prwxv3

Did you guys notice a red thingy glowing in the forest, right after they see the cats? When they are running you can clearly see a red "glow" or something, and I'm pretty sure it is not the lighting. (Ignore the red dot above the arrow... :p )

qeh4PPE.png

Give it a check.

I think it was a Naga

I still doubt that Summing will work that way. Sure, we see a GIANORMOUS Leviathan destroying Accordo, but I don't think that good ol' Lev will be of that size when we summon it. I bet they are going to come with a clever way of how summon works, though, but just unleashing that 10,000 feet monster into the wilderness to kill some Garulas and stuff? I highly doubt it.

I was skeptical as well, and it's hard to imagine how they'd work around cramped spaces like the caves. However if an enemy the size of the Adamantoise can just exist on the world map, maybe they can work this out as well. Nomura mentioned back in the day that most summons aren't Leviathan's size as well, so those would be pretty easy to utilize in that fashion I think. Mostly I'm just encouraged by the fact that creatures of that size exist in non-scripted areas as well.

Stark

Banned
I was skeptical as well, and it's hard to imagine how they'd work around cramped spaces like the caves. However if an enemy the size of the Adamantoise can just exist on the world map, maybe they can work this out as well. Nomura mentioned back in the day that most summons aren't Leviathan's size as well, so those would be pretty easy to utilize in that fashion I think. Mostly I'm just encouraged by the fact that creatures of that size exist in non-scripted areas as well.

You remember all that water strafing around in the E313 trailer attacking soldiers and such? I think that's how large summons or in general will work.

Ishida

Banned
I think it was a Naga

I thought so, too. But I believe Nagas only came out at night, like Tabata said?

That makes sense. I can't wait to see how they handle it!

You remember all that water strafing around in the E313 trailer attacking soldiers and such? I think that's how large summons or in general will work.

I wouldn't really be surprised by this but eh. Might as well hope for the best. Summons being boiled down to spells rather than actual beasts would be a bit of a bummer to me, but it's pretty telling that those water bolts had Leviathan's face I agree.

Talax

They might surprise us at Jump Festa though. It is a big event and I'm expecting the first story trailer from there.

If it's a story trailer, they'd better clear up that stella/luna confusion they pulled out suddenly.
I still think Luna is the other girl in the 2013 trailer, while the TGS trailer showed Stella.

I always just assumed that once we have these summons we would be able to use humanoid versions of them and their special move would be to turn into gigantic monsters in a Crisis Core like cinematic for a giant attack. Otherwise, summoning something like Leviathan in that cave like dungeon would probably be catastrophic. But that's just my imagination running wild though. :p

10408502_10154827240660217_5194090625800919212_n_zps7f8adb9e.png

That Naga is scary as hell. I hope there will be more Monster at night, that look this scary.

That would make the game automatically a horror game at night

I always just assumed that once we have these summons we would be able to use humanoid versions of them and their special move would be to turn into gigantic monsters in a Crisis Core like cinematic for a giant attack. Otherwise, summoning something like Leviathan in that cave like dungeon would probably be catastrophic. But that's just my imagination running wild though. :p

I'm actually glad you brought up Crisis Core because that's one potential way to get giant summons in. Summoning could work like it did when summons were called against Zack, where it transports foes to a different dimension where the summon resides. Remote possibility I know, but if they could swing it it would get around the cramped spaces problem.

Philippo

Couple of questions guys

-What weapons do you think Noctis will be able to use? So far, since E3 2013, we've seen swords, knives, spears and greatswords. Nomura once talked about axes and maces, but that was at Versus times. Fireweapons then? We know Prompto uses rifles, but we can't control him. Maybe katanas (Cor)?

-What do you think the trailer/ATR/marketing time table is fron now on?
I think that until the demo they'll only focus on the early hours of the demo, so maybe an introductory story trailer (showcasing Duscae and Lucis) at Jump Festa, a couple more of livestreams showcasing some more combat and maybe UI/controls, then a Episode Duscae trailer before the release of T0. Then silence untile E3, where the marketing machine starts going full speed (release dates, english dub, scenes from various moments of the game, summons).

Stark

Banned
I wouldn't really be surprised by this but eh. Might as well hope for the best. Summons being boiled down to spells rather than actual beasts would be a bit of a bummer to me, but it's pretty telling that those water bolts had Leviathan's face I agree.

They might just restrict true forms of a summon to open environments and that for dungeons, etc. Who knows, lol. The scale certainly allows for it to happen though.

If it's a story trailer, they'd better clear up that stella/luna confusion they pulled out suddenly.
I still think Luna is the other girl in the 2013 trailer, while the TGS trailer showed Stella.

I think she's a different character, yeah. This thing is so FF/KH I'm not surprised by it at all. Given they had that listed as a topic, I hope that's covered at the JF ATR.

Sorry if this is an inane question, but is there a bullet point list/FAQ for this game yet using everything known about this game so far?

I am getting super excited about FFXV and I want to know more about it.

Wasn't the battle system mostly Itou and not Matsuno?
Dunno because I'm not really sure who did FFT's... I said Matsuno just because it's a common theme in all his gameplay and battle balance. Whether it's coincidence or because it's always the same designers that he uses, I'm not sure. But whether it's TO, FFT, XII... maaaybe VS but probably the worst argument of the bunch. But for of them, I find they're typically poorly balanced and usually far more fun if you choose a few additional criteria or rules. I mean, the ZJS re-release is basically just that -- a few additional rules or criteria that make it far more fun. You can do that yourself in basically any TO/FFT/XII, too, and it's very rewarding and satisfying -- much better than just spamming Archers, TG Cid, Berskered Zodiac Spears and Bubbled/Reversed Lures, etc.

Couple of questions guys

-What weapons do you think Noctis will be able to use? So far, since E3 2013, we've seen swords, knives, spears and greatswords. Nomura once talked about axes and maces, but that was at Versus times. Fireweapons then? We know Prompto uses rifles, but we can't control him. Maybe katanas (Cor)?

I'd imagine Noctis is still able to use every melee weapon in the game, since he seems to be shown wielding all of Ignis and Glad's weapons as you mentioned. The only thing I think is still up in the air is if Noctis is still capable of using firearms like Prompto can. It was confirmed way back in the day where is was said Noctis could equip them but not use the fine aiming mode Prompto boasted, but who can say how much has changed since that time? I really hope he can, just to give him some long-ranged options beyond magic.

Exentryk

qeh4PPE.png

Give it a check.

They're Chocobos I think. They're actually yellow, but appear red from that far.

Dark_castle

Sorry if this is an inane question, but is there a bullet point list/FAQ for this game yet using everything known about this game so far?

I am getting super excited about FFXV and I want to know more about it.

Here's a super simplified bullet point lists for FFXV at its current stage.

- Story revolves around 4-5 male friends on a road trip kind of adventure and some touches of crystal, political intrigue, human themes and conflict. Potential rivalry between Noctis and Stella.

- Based on FNC mythology, but actual plot is largely its own thing, as Tabata seem to excluded the use of key terms like l'cie.

- Gameplay is revolved around protagonist Noctis, who has access to various types of weapons like swords, spears, daggers, pilebunkers, axes and more. There's a basic attack button, a skill button that uses an unique technique attached to each main weapon that you can freely switch during mid-battle, a block/evade button, jump button, warp and more. Basic combo is made by holding or pressing, and weapon selected are based on weapon deck set by yourself in menu. It adapts based on your setting. Noctis also has an ability to use weapons as his shield and perhaps more called the Armiger.

- Because it's a FF title, some sense of group play is still important to have. There exists a Gambit-like system that allow us to customize party A.I. In addition, Noctis can perform group attacks that can evolve into tandem attacks, that are chain of simple group attack.

- Magic and Summons are in. Magic is now affected by time and space, for example, using a fire spell on a clear day can amplify its effect and potentially burn friendly unit, but also causes fear on enemies.

- Ability to interact/climb onto monsters. We haven't seen this in full gameplay reveal yet, but basically we can climb onto larger targets to attack their weak spots.

- Large, explorable world that set based on a mixture of contemporary and fantasy setting. 5 large cities with shops and hotels, plus other towns and settlements.

- Transports such as cars, chocobo and more are in. Magitek Armor as well as airship are not confirmed fully controllable yet.

- Dungeons as optional areas to fight challenging enemies and acquire strong items/rewards.

- Plenty of mini-games, including fishing.

- Destructible environment

- Day/Night cycle, more terrifying monsters roam the ground at night, which is really dark.

- Music by Yoko Shimomura.

- Character design by Tetsuya Nomura, Monster design by Yoshitaka Amano/

- Demo comes on March 2015, takes place in Duscae region, which is said to be less than 10% of the entire globe. Uses Luminous Engine 1.5 (final game is at 2.0 version)

These are the basic gist. There are a lot more of other details that I've left out.

UrbanRats

Regarding the Monster Design, the Behemots and Titans seen in the E3 demo looked straight out of Nomura's design he did for FFVIII.

Regarding the Monster Design, the Behemots and Titans seen in the E3 demo looked straight out of Nomura's design he did for FFVIII.
FFVIII Behemoths are based on Amano's original design for Behemoths for the first FF(but they weren't used until FFII):

Only difference is that with FFII, they'd opt with removing the wings.

And Nomura's Iron Giants for FFVII and FFVIII were always based on Amano's original designs:

Though, yeah, not all of the monsters are based on Amano. Garula's most definitely based on Nomura's FFV designs, as are the Garchiaceras(which were in an earlier trailer, which given what we've seen so far, I don't doubt they'll appear somewhere in this version). The Catoblepas seem to be a unique design while "inspired" by Nomura's FFV version, is also unique just for FFXV. Basically, the monster design will be widely varied, featuring both Nomura and Amano monsters, as well as a fair share of original creatures(which IMO, is how it should be; keep that classic feel with traditional designs, as well as a taste of new flavor).

This game literally looks like my dreams.

The whole melding of modern looking locations with the surrealism of the monsters and exaggerated geography in places (like the cave) is literally 'fantasy' in the most strict sense.

It's blowing my mind.

Top Bottom