• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Final Fantasy XV cam videos - Luminous Studio tools/tech + Open world exploration

Kovet

tumblr_lqbgp7RuSh1qziiilo1_500.gif

just a few more months........

game doesn't look sub hd anymore (going by the jaggies on the car etc) anyone else agree?

To be fair, the last video is pretty low quality, even the 720p version they uploaded.

I think it's hard to judge resolution for now.

Honestly, I think even if the trailers now are sub-1080, we'll have to wait for either a confirmation or the demo, as they are still transferring the game to Luminous, who knows how much they can or can't improve the game's performance then.

SPAW

To be fair, the last video is pretty low quality, even the 720p version they uploaded.

I think it's hard to judge resolution for now.

Honestly, I think even if the trailers now are sub-1080, we'll have to wait for either a confirmation or the demo, as they are still transferring the game to Luminous, who knows how much they can or can't improve the game's performance then.

We will probably have to wait to jumpfest event to get a trailer with good enough quality to say whether they are making advantages in the frames/resolution department.

anyways, I think we should be prepared for 900 and 30 frames on account of the sheer size of this game.

We will probably have to wait to jumpfest event to get a trailer with good enough quality to say whether they are making advantages in the frames/resolution department.

anyways, I think we should be prepared for 900 and 30 frames on account of the sheer size of this game.

I'm stretching a bit with this comparison, but is it confirmed resolution/fps for MGSV?

I stopped following that game completely, but from what I heard it looks like it has a similar scope to FFXV (maybe not as big of an open world as XV, but still.)

Anyway, maybe resolution will be better to see in the trailers to come, but they'll probably only release 30fps trailers on the internet.

That being said, if they keep a consistent 30, that game will be gorgeous nonetheless.

SPAW

I'm stretching a bit with this comparison, but is it confirmed resolution/fps for MGSV?

I stopped following that game completely, but from what I heard it looks like it has a similar scope to FFXV (maybe not as big of an open world as XV, but still.)

Anyway, maybe resolution will be better to see in the trailers to come, but they'll probably only release 30fps trailers on the internet.

That being said, if they keep a consistent 30, that game will be gorgeous nonetheless.

I don't know about MGS5, but doesn't Unity run at 900p with a frame rate of 30 frames per second? So, if Ubisoft cant do it, should we expect square-enix to be able to do it?

I fully agree on the last part.

Famassu

That would describe Cloud and Squall pretty well though. My guess at the time was that this was in reference to Noctis being a true introvert, quiet and lacking confidence, as at the time Nomura was describing him in very much that way. No idea if that's still anywhere near true, Noctis hasn't shown much personality in recent trailers.
I thought Noctis is supposed to be quite the opposite of that, in the end. On the offset, he might come off as a bit quiet & shy, an introvert, but he's actually quite open & outgoing, at least when with his friends. And I've gotten the impression that Noctis can be quite hot-heated & brash, not one to think too much of his actions but just going for it, even against impossible (or near so) odds.

I don't know about MGS5, but doesn't Unity run at 900p with a frame rate of 30 frames per second? So, if Ubisoft cant do it, should we expect square-enix to be able to do it?

I fully agree on the last part.

As far as we know, isn't ubisoft doing that on purpose?

Also, technically-wise SE was always top-notch, I'm pretty sure they can do more than Ubi.

Ishida

Banned
That would describe Cloud and Squall pretty well though. My guess at the time was that this was in reference to Noctis being a true introvert, quiet and lacking confidence, as at the time Nomura was describing him in very much that way. No idea if that's still anywhere near true, Noctis hasn't shown much personality in recent trailers.

Nomura's description of Noctis has always been of a character which is overconfident, reckless and optimistic, kind of an "I can do everything" kind of character. However, when not in company of his friends, he can be shy (Especially around women).

silva1991

When is Jump Festa again?

Did you guys notice a red thingy glowing in the forest, right after they see the cats? When they are running you can clearly see a red "glow" or something, and I'm pretty sure it is not the lighting. (Ignore the red dot above the arrow... :p )

qeh4PPE.png

Give it a check.

Fire elemental entity ? or what ever they are called

I thought Noctis is supposed to be quite the opposite of that, in the end. On the offset, he might come off as a bit quiet & shy, an introvert, but he's actually quite open & outgoing, at least when with his friends. And I've gotten the impression that Noctis can be quite hot-heated & brash, not one to think too much of his actions but just going for it, even against impossible (or near so) odds.

Nomura's description of Noctis has always been of a character which is overconfident, reckless and optimistic, kind of an "I can do everything" kind of character. However, when not in company of his friends, he can be shy (Especially around women).

I would argue that being shy and quiet around strangers but outgoing with friends is textbook introvert. Noctis is definitely brash when it comes to combat, I'm not arguing against that, but when he's been described in social situations outside of those with his tightly knit group of buddies Nomura described him as quiet and not necessarily the most confident. We're basically describing the same thing, here.

Can someone clarify me ?

What exactly is the Role of Cor Leonis in this Game? After the E3 Reveal i tought he would be a Party Member...But he wasnt in any of the newest Trailers. Not a single Gameplayscene from him

Maybe its because the Trailers & Gameplayvideos were only footage from the Demo (Episode Duscae) and Cor Leonis will join them later.

But still, im worried that they didnt talk about him lately

RVnHxHQ.jpg

Next Question:

If Cor Leonis is playable. Which Role & Powers do you think will he have ?

Gladiolus will probably be the Tank of the group, with a high Damage.

Prompto will probably be the long Range Fighter with his guns --> weakest Defence ?

Ignis will probably be the strategic one, who handles the healing & Magic --> Also like Prompto weak defence ?

Noctis will have a good balance on all of them. Healing, Magic, Attack, Defense

But Cor Leonis ?

Can someone clarify me ?

What exactly is the Role of Cor Leonis in this Game? After the E3 Reveal i tought he would be a Party Member...But he wasnt in any of the newest Trailers. Not a single Gameplayscene from him

Maybe its because the Trailers & Gameplayvideos were only footage from the Demo (Episode Duscae) and Cor Leonis will join them later.

RVnHxHQ.jpg

Next Question:

Prompto will probably be the long Range Fighter with his guns --> weakest Defence ?

Ignis will probably be the strategic one, who handles the healing & Magic --> Also like Prompto weak defence ?

But Cor Leonis ?

From what I know he's a mentor for the group, almost, and is also a lot older than the other 4 guys. He's also the most skilled warrior in the Kingdom of Lucis (supposedly) and is known as the Immortal Shogun. He MAY be a party member, but I don't think it's been clarified yet. Curious to hear more about him though

From what I know he's a mentor for the group, almost, and is also a lot older than the other 4 guys. He's also the most skilled warrior in the Kingdom of Lucis (supposedly) and is known as the Immortal Shogun. He MAY be a party member, but I don't think it's been clarified yet. Curious to hear more about him though

he has that Auron Vibe. Just from the Design he is already my favourite Member of the group. I hope he will playable....But then 5 People wouldnt fit in that Car right ?

KoopaTheCasual

Can someone clarify me ?

RVnHxHQ.jpg

Next Question:

But Cor Leonis ?
I can easily see him as the one with by far the highest/fastest damage output, but very low defense. Less of a 'tank' and more of a straight warrior/barbarian class.

Mikado

That is a very distracting fade-in effect :(
I don't think that's how you're supposed to use screenspace reflections. They're doing so much else right, which makes this look very strange.

The background and the rest of the lighting looks pretty though.

Bazztek

Banned
Can someone clarify me ?

RVnHxHQ.jpg

Next Question:

But Cor Leonis ?

Nomura stated he joins the party later on, there is no reason to think this isn't still the case, Duscae demo is still early in the game, he will probably join by the time we get to Accordo, also there wasn't any gameplay scenes of him last year either, and we didn't see any scenes of Ignis last year too

Cor is one of the men who work for Regis, said to be one of the three strongest warriors in Lucis, he swore his loyalty to Lucis and was tasked with looking over Noctis, he is said to not be fond of the rest of the gang and but due to his allegiance to Lucis and Regis he will see his job through of protecting Noctis.

Also given his nickname as the Immortal Shogun, his age of 42 being considered bad luck in Japanese culture, him being stated to be an honor bound warrior and him being stated to use Katana, it's highly likely he's based on the Samurai class.

As an aside and merely speculation, there were two other men from the trailers, one in 2011 and one in 2013 that someone resemble Cor, one of those men was also previously voiced by Cor's VA in the 2011 trailer, so maybe they are doing a thing where Cor has two brothers and the three of them together are known as the three strongest warriors of Lucis, and they are also a "three Samurai brothers" kind of thing.

ZenTzen

he has that Auron Vibe. Just from the Design he is already my favourite Member of the group. I hope he will playable....But then 5 People wouldnt fit in that Car right ?

he looks cool, but the outfit they decided to put on him just dosnt fit the character at all, also, hes supposed to use a katana, so make your assumptions based on that, master swordsman most likely, and having the title "imortal shogun", kinda implies he has a no nonsense, serious kind of personality

raven777

I am hoping Cor is still in the game. Nomura said he joins the party later so that's why they haven't been showing him yet I think (all their showing since TGS was episode Duscae stuff).

By the time Cor joins the party maybe we can get a new bigger car that can fit him :p

Nomura stated he joins the party later on, there is no reason to think this isn't still the case, Duscae demo is still early in the game, he will probably join by the time we get to Accordo, also there wasn't any gameplay scenes of him last year either, and we didn't see any scenes of Ignis last year too

Cor is one of the men who work for Regis, said to be one of the three strongest warriors in Lucis, he swore his loyalty to Lucis and was tasked with looking over Noctis, he is said to not be fond of the rest of the gang and but due to his allegiance to Lucis and Regis he will see his job through of protecting Noctis.

Also given his nickname as the Immortal Shogun, his age of 42 being considered bad luck in Japanese culture, him being stated to be an honor bound warrior and him being stated to use Katana, it's highly likely he's based on the Samurai class.

As an aside and merely speculation, there were two other men from the trailers, one in 2011 and one in 2013 that someone resemble Cor, one of those men was also previously voiced by Cor's VA in the 2011 trailer, so maybe they are doing a thing where Cor has two brothers and the three of them together are known as the three strongest warriors of Lucis, and they are also a "three Samurai brothers" kind of thing.

Thanks for the info.
Yeah there was also this guy http://i.imgur.com/nXNPHUb.jpg who looks exactly like Cor Leonis, but has different wrinkles.
I Could imagine, that his brothers (or what they are) will betray Lucis alongside King Regis Brother http://i.imgur.com/mtUhsWM.jpg

A Katana would definitely look awesome on Cor

he looks cool, but the outfit they decided to put on him just dosnt fit the character at all, also, hes supposed to use a katana, so make your assumptions based on that, master swordsman most likely, and having the title "imortal shogun", kinda implies he has a no nonsense, serious kind of personality

Yeah especially those cowboy shoes.
I bet his body is full of scars...he should wear the outfit from Zoro (one Piece) :p

516882-zoro_large.png

Dark_castle

I don't think they've ever said the inspiration was going to be THAT literal. I know quote they used was from Hamlet, but I don't think it means they are going for a literal interpretation of Hamlet as a whole. That quote, more so, sets the scene of how characters will act and be motivated WITHIN XV's world's events. And Romeo & Juliet, the ONLY reason this was brought up is because people see guy from one kingdom, girl from another, plus rivalry and Shakespeare name drop(despite it being JUST a quote from ANOTHER one of his plays) and their brains just seem to think of that by default, that means "Romeo & Juliet". I really don't think that was ever a thing they planned, and was totally concocted on the fan side by speculation based on "reading too much into something"(kinda like how some people saw the FFVII PS3 tech demo, and immediately thought.... "They ARE making a FFVII REMAKE!!!").

Yeah that was purely speculation. I should have clarified.

I thought Noctis is gay? How could they be Romeo and Juliet if Noctis is not interested in women romantically?

That was an April Fool joke.

Koozek

I wonder who the dude with the fedora hat and red hair is.

AIuClhO.jpg

Such a great design. His voice sounded too goofy, though, in the E3 trailer - he needs a deeper voice. And the black haired woman looks awesome, too. Can't wait to see more of them.
BTW, I really have the feeling that all those other characters besides the main cast from the E3 face renders are designed by Roberto Ferrari. They are the least Nomura-like and I absolutly love them.

Such a great design. His voice sounded too goofy, though, in the E3 trailer - he needs a deeper voice. And the black haired woman, too. Can't wait to see more of them.
They're using Reno's voice actor for him (even changed his hair to red because it seemed to match the voice). I'm guessing he'll be similar to Reno in that you'll encounter him a couple times and eventually he helps you out once or twice even though he's technically not on your side. Pure speculation, but he doesn't seem all that keen to be working for his kingdom.

Also dying to know what the hooded guy's role is. Seems like Noctis's rival but not the big bad?

wmlk

They're using Reno's voice actor for him (even changed his hair to red because it seemed to match the voice). I'm guessing he'll be similar to Reno in that you'll encounter him a couple times and eventually he helps you out once or twice even though he's technically not on your side. Pure speculation, but he doesn't seem all that keen to be working for his kingdom.

Also dying to know what the hooded guy's role is. Seems like Noctis's rival but not the big bad?

They changed his hair? When was this said?

They changed his hair? When was this said?
Bad wording, not sure if it was changed per se but it was decided based on his previous work on Axel and Reno.

Makes it sound like they decided the red hair after the fact, but perhaps they never decided what hair he should have in the first place. My bad.

ZenTzen

Such a great design. His voice sounded too goofy, though, in the E3 trailer - he needs a deeper voice. And the black haired woman, too. Can't wait to see more of them.
BTW, I really have the feeling that all those other characters besides the main cast from the E3 face renders are designed by Roberto Ferrari. They are the least Nomura-like and I absolutly love them.

voice actor iskeiji fujiwara, as also voices other red haired characters, i think he sounds great

Bad wording, not sure if it was changed per se but it was decided based on his previous work on Axel and Reno.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/06/2...-between-final-fantasy-xv-and-kingdom-hearts/
Makes it sound like they decided the red hair after the fact, but perhaps they never decided what hair he should have in the first place. My bad.

I guess we know who's dubbing him in english then =P

But yeah, that character strikes me like a Reno guy, maybe less dumb.

Ateron

So, Noctis Japanese voice actor is the guy from Disgaea 4. And the western counterpart was Troy Baker. What are the odds he will voice Noctis in the western version? I just had an argument a few hours ago with my gf. I like the guy, very talented and passionate, but I just don't see him as Noctis. She, on the other hand, really likes the guy, especially his work in Persona 4, TLoU and Second Son. He's got a good voice but I don't think he can pull off Noctis, if that is indeed the case. This is merely speculation on my part, mind you. But I wouldn't like the idea of him voicing Noctis. Who would you guys like to see voicing him?

For the record I liked Dissidia's voicing. Squall felt appropriate (even if a little too old for a 17 year old) and I really liked Cloud (wasn't far off of the voice I imagined he'd have all those years). How old is Noctis? 17, 18?

This might be off topic, but I was just wondering if they already discussed this topic. The demo we'll be getting in March will be in Japanese or English? Thanks in advance, for those who are more in the loop than me and be able to answer.

KoopaTheCasual

So, Noctis Japanese voice actor is the guy from Disgaea 4. And the western counterpart was Troy Baker. What are the odds he will voice Noctis in the western version? I just had an argument a few hours ago with my gf. I like the guy, very talented and passionate, but I just don't see him as Noctis. She, on the other hand, really likes the guy, especially his work in Persona 4, TLoU and Second Son. He's got a good voice but I don't think he can pull off Noctis, if that is indeed the case. This is merely speculation on my part, mind you. But I wouldn't like the idea of him voicing Noctis. Who would you guys like to see voicing him?

For the record I liked Dissidia's voicing. Squall felt appropriate (even if a little too old for a 17 year old) and I really liked Cloud (wasn't far off of the voice I imagined he'd have all those years). How old is Noctis? 17, 18?

This might be off topic, but I was just wondering if they already discussed this topic. The demo we'll be getting in March will be in Japanese or English? Thanks in advance, for those who are more in the loop than me and be able to answer.
Every character (even the females) will be voiced by Troy Baker, and you're gonna love it.

On a more serious note, I don't believe they've specified if the NA demo will be in English. It probably will be, but not sure.

chozen

God no, and we just had him as Snow. I think SE had a rule where you can't have the same voice actor as a main character in another mainline title, but you can be in the game as other smaller roles. Troy Baker does not at all fit a young prince, and it would not fit Noctis' face either it just does not. I think there is talent everywhere in the industry not seen by our eyes and I wouldn't mind a new comer if anything.

While I don't think Troy Baker will be Noctis here (He was being Snow a couple of months ago), I don't doubt he can pull off Noctis. A lot of people can do more than just the stereotype they're known for.

As for language, Tabata said he'd try to include Japanese and English voices. I don't know how that'll work out because of lip-sync, but anyway, he'd try.

OmegaDL50

The setting reminds me a lot like Final Fantasy 8.

I don't know what you would call FF8. I mean it wasn't medieval, but characters used swords and stuff as weapons, but there was modern conveniences like train stations and rental car shops.

Then again the Airship was more like a spaceship. So "modern" fantasy I guess?

sn00zer

The setting reminds me a lot like Final Fantasy 8.

I don't know what you would call FF8. I mean it wasn't medieval, but characters used swords and stuff as weapons, but there was modern conveniences like train stations and rental car shops.

Then again the Airship was more like a spaceship. So "modern" fantasy I guess?

This was actually the starting point since Versus 13....it was always planned as a Final Fantasy set in current times

Stark

Banned
As for language, Tabata said he'd try to include Japanese and English voices. I don't know how that'll work out because of lip-sync, but anyway, he'd try.

Usually that means its happening. Lip-sync isn't much of a problem looking at last generation.

This was actually the starting point since Versus 13....it was always planned as a Final Fantasy set in current times
Not set. Based.

There's actually a pretty big difference.

Usually that means its happening. Lip-sync isn't much of a problem looking at last generation.

I suppose so, but then again, FFXIII became twice as big on PC with dual languages, because of cutscenes. I guess it depends on how much pre-rendered stuff we get.

koutoru

While I don't think Troy Baker will be Noctis here (He was being Snow a couple of months ago), I don't doubt he can pull off Noctis. A lot of people can do more than just the stereotype they're known for.

Well based on what SE has done in the past they'll either:
A) if it's anything like FFXIII on PC they'll literally have completely different cutscenes for the Japanese and English Voice acting. (don't know what they would do for in game cutscenes)

B) Or they'll just add the jpn lip syncing with the voices like they did for Lighting's Return DLC.

EDIT: I guess the issue still remains for the lip syncing in the CG cutscenes though.
Might have to end up downloading two of the same cutscenes or they'll just have to fit the English voices around the Japanese lip sync.

Top Bottom