• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Final Fantasy XV cam videos - Luminous Studio tools/tech + Open world exploration

Famassu

I would argue that being shy and quiet around strangers but outgoing with friends is textbook introvert. Noctis is definitely brash when it comes to combat, I'm not arguing against that, but when he's been described in social situations outside of those with his tightly knit group of buddies Nomura described him as quiet and not necessarily the most confident. We're basically describing the same thing, here.
We're not really saying the same thing. :p I'm saying that while you might get the impression he's an introvert, he's not. At all. That what you might think of being quiet & shy at first is actually him just knowing when to talk and when to shut up. Even with people other than his friends, he might be quite talkative once he does starts talking (see: His talk with Stella at the party; he seems a bit awkward, but he's still having a decent conversation instead of Stella's straightforward manner of approaching him causing him to clam up), if a bit more awkward when he knows he can't behave like with his closest friends. I think Noctis will be a lot more outgoing than either Squall or Cloud even though he seems much like those two at first sight, but in a way that he'll know when its time for actions and not words, so he's not always blabbing on and on about shit.

Stark

Banned
I suppose so, but then again, FFXIII became twice as big on PC with dual languages, because of cutscenes. I guess it depends on how much pre-rendered stuff we get.

The other option is free DLC. One way or another, we'll probably get it. SE's track record with Dual audio has been really solid lately.

Falk

that puzzling face
B) Or they'll just add the jpn lip syncing with the voices like they did for Lighting's Return DLC.

EDIT: I guess the issue still remains for the lip syncing in the CG cutscenes though.

LR DLC actually included CG cutscenes. That's why it was huge.

The other option is free DLC. One way or another, we'll probably get it. SE's track record with Dual audio has been really solid lately.

Yeah, I don't really doubt it. I was just wondering because we don't know how many CGs it'll have. But DLC is certainly a great option.

SPAW

pnxqUYe.gif

Magnificent!

In all future threads on XV vs X this should be the first post ;)

We're not really saying the same thing. :p I'm saying that while you might get the impression he's an introvert, he's not. At all. That what you might think of being quiet & shy at first is actually him just knowing when to talk and when to shut up. Even with people other than his friends, he might be quite talkative once he does starts talking (see: His talk with Stella at the party; he seems a bit awkward, but he's still having a decent conversation instead of Stella's straightforward manner of approaching him causing him to clam up), if a bit more awkward when he knows he can't behave like with his closest friends. I think Noctis will be a lot more outgoing than either Squall or Cloud even though he seems much like those two at first sight, but in a way that he'll know when its time for actions and not words, so he's not always blabbing on and on about shit.

You sure talk in a lot of absolutes about a game that isn't out yet. I'm glad you can be so certain, but I stand by my impression based on Nomura's description and we'll see when the game comes out. I hope I'm correct because a character like that is one that's almost never seen, where the brash, reckless and brave protag has been done to death in the medium particularly in things like shonen.

SPAW

I see nothing here that does not imply that he is not an introvert. You must remember that a introvert person is not necessarily shy. Instead, they tend not seek external stimuli and remain most comfortable with what they know. Consequently, we should expect them to be outgoing and talkative with the people that they know. At the same time, we should not expect them to necessarily have a hard time making friends (introverts with a stroke of neuroticism on the other hand...). To me this fits the picture that you painted of Noctis above pretty well.

I see nothing here that does not imply that he is not an introvert. You must remember that a introvert person is not necessarily shy. Instead, they tend not seek external stimuli and remain most comfortable with what they know. Consequently, we should expect them to be outgoing and talkative with the people that they know. At the same time, we should not expect them to necessarily have a hard time making friends (introverts with a stroke of neuroticism on the other hand...). To me this fits the picture that you painted of Noctis above pretty well.

Thank you. This is basically what I've been trying to say, only you said it far better.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
So, Noctis Japanese voice actor is the guy from Disgaea 4. And the western counterpart was Troy Baker. What are the odds he will voice Noctis in the western version? I just had an argument a few hours ago with my gf. I like the guy, very talented and passionate, but I just don't see him as Noctis. She, on the other hand, really likes the guy, especially his work in Persona 4, TLoU and Second Son. He's got a good voice but I don't think he can pull off Noctis, if that is indeed the case. This is merely speculation on my part, mind you. But I wouldn't like the idea of him voicing Noctis. Who would you guys like to see voicing him?

For the record I liked Dissidia's voicing. Squall felt appropriate (even if a little too old for a 17 year old) and I really liked Cloud (wasn't far off of the voice I imagined he'd have all those years). How old is Noctis? 17, 18?

This might be off topic, but I was just wondering if they already discussed this topic. The demo we'll be getting in March will be in Japanese or English? Thanks in advance, for those who are more in the loop than me and be able to answer.
Your first mistake was doubting whether or not Troy Baker could pull off a character...we're talking about the guy who can go from Joel to Pagan Min to Joker.

Philippo

Yes, i see him like that.

Anyway, no Troy Baker pls.
I want English dub for my Prince.
But i'm okay with Baker in case we get american dub.

Famassu

You sure talk in a lot of absolutes about a game that isn't out yet. I'm glad you can be so certain, but I stand by my impression based on Nomura's description and we'll see when the game comes out. I hope I'm correct because a character like that is one that's almost never seen, where the brash, reckless and brave protag has been done to death in the medium particularly in things like shonen.
Noctis is supposed to be a surprisingly normal person, not at all the moody, gloomy Cloud/Squall-like character which is the vibe that he first gives off. I've always had the impression that introverts think things through and aren't perhaps the most confident people, but when they do say & do stuff, their opinions & doings hold perhaps a bit more weight & thought behind them than most people's (even if they themselves are a bit unsure of what they are saying/doing being all that sensible).

From the way Nomura has talked about Noctis, he doesn't seem that way at all. He can be a bit shy around strangers, but he'll try to hide whatever weaknesses he feels he has by acting tough and like he knows what he's doing even when he's way over his head in shit. And yes, he's supposed be a bit brash and not think things through (this is hinted by both the January 2011 trailer and the E3 2013 one, the former with Noctis talking to Ignis in a manner that makes it seem like Noctis has made the decision to wreck shit up no matter what he's up against and in the E3 trailer's dialogue it sounds like he's heading straight into a dangerous situation without any care how much danger he's putting himself in or if he can actually pull it off). I just don't think that is too introvert-ish behaviour, at least not my impression of introverts.

Ateron

Your first mistake was doubting whether or not Troy Baker could pull off a character...we're talking about the guy who can go from Joel to Pagan Min to Joker.

I still think Nolan North has better range. He's the only one who fooled me once
TLoU, I didn't even know he was in the game until the credits rolled
Troy I can always tell. Had the same argument with my gf yesterday and while I admire his work and talent, he's not the guy I would want to voice Noctis. I don't think he has the right voice. Persona 4 was one of his first works as VA, so he was younger then and even then he had a deeper voice that, in my head, doesn't fit Kanji's age. Noctis is supposed to be the same age, I just don't see his voice fitting the character.

I still think Nolan North has better range. He's the only one who fooled me once
Troy I can always tell. Had the same argument with my gf yesterday and while I admire his work and talent, he's not the guy I would want to voice Noctis. I don't think he has the right voice. Persona 4 was one of his first works as VA, so he was younger then and even then he had a deeper voice that, in my head, doesn't fit Kanji's age. Noctis is supposed to be the same age, I just don't see his voice fitting the character.

Troy Baker should use his deep manly Voice on Cor Leonis.

King Regis could also be a good candidate

Noctis is supposed to be a surprisingly normal person, not at all the moody, gloomy Cloud/Squall-like character which is the vibe that he first gives off. I've always had the impression that introverts think things through and aren't perhaps the most confident people, but when they do say & do stuff, their opinions & doings hold perhaps a bit more weight & thought behind them than most people's (even if they themselves are a bit unsure of what they are saying/doing being all that sensible).

From the way Nomura has talked about Noctis, he doesn't seem that way at all. He can be a bit shy around strangers, but he'll try to hide whatever weaknesses he feels he has by acting tough and like he knows what he's doing even when he's way over his head in shit. And yes, he's supposed be a bit brash and not think things through (this is hinted by both the January 2011 trailer and the E3 2013 one, the former with Noctis talking to Ignis in a manner that makes it seem like Noctis has made the decision to wreck shit up no matter what he's up against and in the E3 trailer's dialogue it sounds like he's heading straight into a dangerous situation without any care how much danger he's putting himself in or if he can actually pull it off). I just don't think that is too introvert-ish behaviour, at least not my impression of introverts.

You can be a reckless introvert in the same way that you can be a careful extrovert is the thing. Being hasty or brash isn't something that an introvert is incapable of, and they can DEFINITELY be brave. An introvert can likewise be confident in their abilities, especially if they have super powers like Noctis. Maybe that's why I feel we're describing the same thing. Nomura's description of Noctis being shy but trying his best to act cool is the real red flag for me, especially given we've seen what a different person he becomes around his crew.

UrbanRats

I don't know, i hadn't recognized Troy in Binary Domain, to be honest.

Honey Bunny

Such a great design. His voice sounded too goofy, though, in the E3 trailer - he needs a deeper voice. And the black haired woman looks awesome, too. Can't wait to see more of them.
BTW, I really have the feeling that all those other characters besides the main cast from the E3 face renders are designed by Roberto Ferrari. They are the least Nomura-like and I absolutly love them.

I thought his voice was the best in the trailer

Koozek

i'm betting this is cid

Haha, never thought about that. He might be, who knows^^

I thought his voice was the best in the trailer
I never said I didn't like his performance (I can't judge this well as I don't speak Japanese and also don't listen to the language as much as I used to because I don't like the Japanese acting style and its typical tropes anymore).
I just thought the type of voice didn't fit^^
EDIT: Ok, I have to admit, now that I listened to it again it doesn't sound so bad, though, I'd still like a deeper voice and a more serious tone. But well, dunno, let's wait and see/hear!

KoopaTheCasual

i bet he is on of those guys, who hangs up with the bad guys, but actually is a good dude, who will help Noctis eventually.

Like Nico Robin and Crocodile in One Piece
Even from the short clip of him overhearing plans to kill the king, he didn't seem to care about anything, just about things getting "troublesome" or something to the same effect. He totally gives off the "I guess I'll be a boss fight, if i have to..." vibe, and will eventually just be a bystander, who ends up rooting for Noctis and co.

Even from the short clip of him overhearing plans to kill the king, he didn't seem to care about anything, just about things getting "troublesome" or something to the same effect. He totally gives off the "I guess I'll be a boss fight, if i have to..." vibe, and will eventually just be a bystander, who ends up rooting for Noctis and co.

Yeah exactly
And if he gets serious and shows his true power, everyone should run, as fast as they can......

Give me Matt Mercer for Noctis, he is increasingly growing on my "pretty cool guy who I'd like to hear in a lead role more often" list, though I can't claim to know his full range. Can he pull off a semi-introvert bro-prince? I like to think so. Quentin Flynn has to be red-hair now that we know his Japanese actor
and I vaguely rember Nomura saying he likes to cast this character in different universes, or something like that

As much as I like Troy Baker, casting him in a lead role so soon after FFXIII-LRFFXIII would be pretty grating.

As much as I like Troy Baker, casting him in a lead role so soon after FFXIII-LRFFXIII would be pretty grating.

This always reminds me on how they never cast Yuri Lowenthal as Yuri Lowell in Tales of Vesperia. Apparently in a interview he said they even called Yuri to apologize for not casting him, since he was in their last game.

Please have a good villain! It feels like Sephiroth was the last effective villain. Maybe Seymour or Ultimecia if you're being kind.

Koozek

Give me Matt Mercer for Noctis, he is increasingly growing on my "pretty cool guy who I'd like to hear in a lead role more often" list, though I can't claim to know his full range. Can he pull off a semi-introvert bro-prince? I like to think so. Quentin Flynn has to be red-hair now that we know his Japanese actor
and I vaguely rember Nomura saying he likes to cast this character in different universes, or something like that

Hmm, I just looked up Matt Mercer and watched a showreel. Dunno, I don't see him as Noctis. I find it difficult to imagine a fitting voice and tone for Noctis. I'm gonna rewatch some FFXV trailers and try concentrate on Noctis' Japanese voice now to see if I like it. Never consciously listened to the voices^^
EDIT: Yeah, ok, his voice is good! Now let's just hope they find a good English one.

Please have a good villain! It feels like Sephiroth was the last effective villain. Maybe Seymour or Ultimecia if you're being kind.

it will be one of these :) Added my own theories

mqs5oukpik_sack1.png

Official antagonist, who will start war with Lucis, to gain the crystal. He is like the shinra President in FF7. Maybe get killed by the true antagonist ?

mqs5oukpik_sack3.jpg
mqs5oukpik_tg08mdx.jpg

Brother of King Lucis. Cmon Guys, we all know he is going to betray his brother, because he was always jealous of him (why didnt i become the king :( i was the black sheep in the family)

mqs5oukpik_sacko.jpg

The mysterious Guy in his assasins costume. He will always talk about the gods and the prophecies. Maybe he is a God?

mqs5oukpik_sack2.png

Dont know. He just looks grumpy...^^

Isn't that red-haired guy supposed to be the Axel/Reno of this game? At least his voice sounds the same.

His role also seems similar: originally with the badies, but perhaps switching sides or helping out later on?

Introverts could definitely be brash, confident and hotheaded. The only determining point for an introverts is that they feel more at ease by themselves or with a small group of close friends. That's it.

Being introverted and being shy are technically two different things from what I understand, though there are shy introverts certainly.

Edit: Never mind I was beaten to the punch by Scrooge.

Famassu

I know intro/extroversion isn't some strict you are either this or that thing, there's a continuum there and you can be somewhere in the middle or be an extrovert with some introvert tendencies. Tthere can be introverts who push themselves to be the center of the party, but I'm talking more of your average introvert who usually doesn't enjoy being the center of attention and usually needs some alone time to recharge (even if one enjoys going to parties and being around people) and on average they are the more thoughtful kind who think things through more carefully and are less likely to blurt out anything & everything that comes into their mind. Not all introverts, but your average introvert is ~ like that.

I'm just saying I don't get that kind of vibe from Noctis, especially after Nomura saying he's not really the kind of person that your first impression might be of him (which is that of a person who might enjoy some alone time and who feels a bit drained, which would be how I'd describe Squall like, who thinks there's nothing better than to get to your room and just resting after a party). Again, Nomura has described Noctis as a pretty average person personality-wise, meaning he'd probably be around the middle part of the introvert/extrovert continuum instead of either extreme. Maybe he has some introvert tendencies, but I don't think he'll be some "true introvert" as someone said before in this thread. He doesn't seem to want to avoid stuff like the peace treaty party because he doesn't care to get to know to new people (which is a personality trait of the average introvert), but mostly because he has a rebellious attitude towards his position in the world as the prince of a royal family and he probably thinks very little of chit-chatting with the "cream of the crop" that populate these parties and would rather get to know more people like Prompto who are from outside the royal circles.

I just don't think FFXV, of all games, is going to have the kind of depth/subtlety to a character that he would be an introvert who pushes past the usual definitions/characteristics of the personality type. Most likely the game will have characters who are clearly introverts (Squall), somewhat clearly extroverts (Prompto) or just average people who aren't overly outgoing & needy of the attention of other people yet don't need the occasional alone time to recharge after being around people either.

wmlk

But it's not. It's not even Romeo & Juliet.

How do you know definitively what the story is?

There's actual indication of what the story is gonna be from the Shakespearean quotes from Hamlet and the whole family set up from the characters on both sides.

Heck. Baz Luhrmann is Tetsuya Nomura's biggest influence and he said so himself. You know what one of his famous movies is? Romeo + Juliet from 1996. If you know about his movies you know how FFXV screams Gatsby's art style and extravagance and R + J's characters.

ibxJ7w07TKhCu9.gif

That gif just made me realize even her hairdo is matching the grecian gown & hairdo from here

pJNet1R.jpg

Nobody on this planet can convince me that Baz Luhrmann's adaption of Romeo and Juliette wasn't an inspiration for XV. When I saw this movie in class about six years ago, the first thing that came to my mind was Versus XIII. I'm pretty sure that there is Versus trailer out there that copies some the cinematographic style of the film.

Holy crap man. I'VE ALWAYS FELT THE SAME WAY even with Gatsby. I just never said it since no one will know what I meant, but you do.

I totallly agree. Even the crystalline look that's in Romeo and Juliet and especially Gatsby. Everything is extravagant, dramatic, and crisp.

R&J in particular is a modern take on a Shakespearean tale. Luhrmann's films match up with XV so much that it's staggering. No one has brought this up.

While still on the topic of film, Nomura told us that he likes to leave work at work, so he tends not to play a whole lot of games at home. Instead, he consumes movies like a junky – 2 or 3 of them on most nights. His biggest cinematic inspiration is Baz Lurhman, the visionary Australian director behind Romeo + Juliet, Moulin Rouge, and most recently The Great Gatsby. If Nomura is able to capture some of the magic of those movies and use it in Final Fantasy XV, we could be in for something special.

I called since the trailer where OG stella looked a lot more like Clare Danes and this happened

Noctis_and_Stella_2.jpg

william-shakespeares-romeo-juliet.jpg

We know how big of a movie nut Nomura is, and it wouldn't surprise me of the Shakespearean influences (accented by his love for Luhrmann's work and R + J) drive the plot for this game.

Dark_castle

I think he'll just be a jester/joker type of character.

Powerful and independent ,he simply enjoys toying with everyone and watching things go to hell from behind the scenes.

I hope he's like Hisoka from Hunter X Hunter. Seemingly a villain, but not actually one, and probably not as insane lol.

HeelPower

I hope he's like Hisoka from Hunter X Hunter. Seemingly a villain, but not actually one, and probably not as insane lol.

yup yup.

He's gonna be a long those lines.These are usually some of the most interesting characters imo.

I hope they nail down side characters perfectly this time.

Somehow I really feel a bit sorry for Nomura as, let's face it, people are already associating Tabata with FFXV (he's great!) and in case it'll be highly praised as the new saviour of the franchise I could only imagine how it'd sting Nomura^^

Nomura will, at the very least, be credited for "original concept" and character design. They can't take that away from him. Matsuno and FFXII being the precedent for this.

i'm betting this is cid

He does look like a Cid-type character, doesn't he?

How do you know definitively what the story is?

How do you know? As far as I'm concerned, everything up to this point is speculation based on what we've got, and even that might not hold ground if they changed some of the story concepts from then to now.

There's actual indication of what the story is gonna be from the Shakespearean quotes from Hamlet and the whole family set up from the characters on both sides.
There is no "both sides". This isn't about two rival families. This is Niflheim versus the nations with crystals. There might be more families(kingdoms) involved, each with their own motives to be played. What I see when I see the word "Shakespearean" thrown around is not spamming literal concepts from Hamlet or Romeo & Juliet, but taking the concepts behind tragic drama and the intrigue that comes with bonds and betrayal.

Heck. Baz Luhrmann is Tetsuya Nomura's biggest influence and he said so himself. You know what one of his famous movies is? Romeo + Juliet from 1996. If you know about his movies you know how FFXV screams Gatsby's art style and extravagance and R + J's characters.

ibxJ7w07TKhCu9.gif

We know how big of a movie nut Nomura is, and it wouldn't surprise me of the Shakespearean influences (accented by his love for Luhrmann's work and R + J) drive the plot for this game.

Nomura being a Baz Luhrmann fan means nothing. XV looks no different than what I'd expect out of any other FF game, art style and feel. That, and the fact that, well, Nomura's not directing anymore. Also take into consideration what I said above. We don't know what changed from the course when they first used the Hamlet quote up until now. Remember this well, Nomura said Stella was not meant to have a traditional romantic relationship with Noctis, and that they would be more "close friends" than lovers. Also know he said this EARLY into development. If that concept carried on, that would quash the "star-crossed lover" notion people have made up for themselves. If the idea was changed, we don't know what else could've been changed either. Besides, LOL, immediately people think Baz when they mention "Shakespeare", even though he only made ONE Shakespeare movie. LOL indeed! EVEN if Nomura meant to add a homage to R+J in Luna's hair(or something else), I doubt he'd be so stupid to make XV by ripping off either of them.

C'mon guys, give Nomura a little more credit than that. I'm sure Nomura's going to give us something solid that feels "familiar" in ways many other FF games do, but also does it's own thing. It's not going to be Hamlet + Romeo & Juliet. That would be creatively bankrupt.

I do think people are grasping for straws, and in a way, I don't blame you guys. We've been starved of plot details so our minds go crazy with drawing connections that might not be there at all. In the end, all those quotes you've posted are nothing more than speculations based on opinions, that's all. Nothing more and nothing less.

And the quote from Hamlet was just that, a quote. It was meant to reflect the theme of the world. There's not going to be a clear hero or villain, and motivation will be muddied into a grey area. Villains will likely be believable and we'll understand why they are doing the things they do, and there might be situations where we(the heroes) have to make decisions that aren't considered "morally good". That is likely the weight of that quote when applied to FFXV.

Regarding the hooded figure, we already know what his powers will be, since I doubt it has changed much.

neoerp.gif

From what we saw earlier of him, he is almost certainly not the main villain.

Philippo

Really strong Italian accents would be dope.

As an Italian myself, please no.

And instead of a joker and "bad-guy-was always good", i'd like the character to be somewhat more morally ambiguous, heck if he's a noble it would be cool if he's portrayed like an hedonistic, another type of personality still not represented in a FF (think of Marquis De Sade in AC:U).

Top Bottom