• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Final Fantasy XV cam videos - Luminous Studio tools/tech + Open world exploration

Famassu

Couple of questions guys

-What weapons do you think Noctis will be able to use? So far, since E3 2013, we've seen swords, knives, spears and greatswords. Nomura once talked about axes and maces, but that was at Versus times. Fireweapons then? We know Prompto uses rifles, but we can't control him. Maybe katanas (Cor)?
Noctis was supposed to be able to use all the weapons, but yeah, I'm wondering about guns as well. If something has gotten axed (not a pun, I swear), it's probably Noctis using guns. Though I wouldn't mind if I could use gun as the main weapon and then create some melee weapon combo as my secondary attack.

-What do you think the trailer/ATR/marketing time table is fron now on?
I think that until the demo they'll only focus on the early hours of the demo, so maybe an introductory story trailer (showcasing Duscae and Lucis) at Jump Festa, a couple more of livestreams showcasing some more combat and maybe UI/controls, then a Episode Duscae trailer before the release of T0. Then silence untile E3, where the marketing machine starts going full speed (release dates, english dub, scenes from various moments of the game, summons).
Best case scenario? They'll show a story-focused trailer at Jump Festa that will not necessarily show too much completely new stuff that we have never heard of or seen in trailers, just old scenes as they are now or something that clarifies how the story is now if there are any more significant changes. Maybe show some glimpses of Lucis and/or Accordo gameplay. That would leave them with the ATR then focusing on expanding on some of the stuff seen in the trailer (maybe giving more detailed explanation on the role of certain characters & explain some stuff in the trailer, if it's not too spoiler-y) and maybe showing a bit more city gameplay. After that, I expect 1 or 2 ATRs at most before/soon after the demo was released. One to maybe give a kind of short demonstration of "ok, this is the finished demo you'll be getting with all events/monsters "turned on" and with the level of graphics that we have achieved so far" and a second maybe sometime after the demo's release to answer most critique/questions that have arisen after people have played the demo. After that, I doubt we'll see FFVX until June in E3, where we'll probably get a big new trailer showing something completely new and with maybe some major gameplay feature announcement (airship confirm/showcase? first summon(s)?)

raven777

UnderstatedNewHawk.gif

ImperfectUnimportantHoneycreeper.gif

Dark_castle

Thanks!

I would love all the stuff you left out too! ;)

Off the top of my head:

- Summons are divided into tier. Leviathan is considered high in ranking, which explains its size.

- boss battles are a huge deal in this game. There are several cinematic set pieces scattered throughout the game that highlights these moments. This means less cutscenes.

- Noctis is said to be a morally ambiguous man. He is the prince of a Yakuza royal family, who has the power to predict a person's demise. Rivalry with Stella, main female character from an opposing nation. Has a Romeo & Juliet relationship. Game plot seems to take a page from Hamlet by Shakespeare.

Check out everything else in the link Exentryk sent you and some articles in Gematsu. :p

UrbanRats

FFVIII Behemoths are based on Amano's original design for Behemoths for the first FF(but they weren't used until FFII):

Only difference is that with FFII, they'd opt with removing the wings.

And Nomura's Iron Giants for FFVII and FFVIII were always based on Amano's original designs:

Though, yeah, not all of the monsters are based on Amano. Garula's most definitely based on Nomura's FFV designs, as are the Garchiaceras(which were in an earlier trailer, which given what we've seen so far, I don't doubt they'll appear somewhere in this version). The Catoblepas seem to be a unique design while "inspired" by Nomura's FFV version, is also unique just for FFXV. Basically, the monster design will be widely varied, featuring both Nomura and Amano monsters, as well as a fair share of original creatures(which IMO, is how it should be; keep that classic feel with traditional designs, as well as a taste of new flavor).

Thanks, hadn't seen those artworks.
I'm absolutely in love with almost every aspect of this game, visually speaking, and i love how they've reworked classic designs, so far.

Dark_castle

I'm in love with the night time of this game. I really like it when RPG has some elements of atmospheric or psychological horror, which is why Shadow Hearts appeals to me greatly.

Insolitus

Banned
I'm really interested in seeing how big and lively the towns are in this game, if they can manage to get them to GTAV level I will cream my pants.

raven777

I'm in love with the night time of this game. I really like it when RPG has some elements of atmospheric or psychological horror, which is why Shadow Hearts appeals to me greatly.

InsidiousForsakenBillygoat.gif

Naga looks scary in that dark night time environment. It makes me not want to walk around at night until I get high enough level.

Kuraudo

Banned
I've been waiting for this game for nearly a third of my life and it looks so fucking good. Please don't break my heart again, SE.

SPAW

having re-read this thread, I don't think I have ever seen such a positive/hyped FFXV thread since the re-reveal at E3 last year. The open-world non-corridor display really seems to have brought a lot of people over to the hype side, or at-least brought about a more positive sentiment. Let's hope squenix can continue to build on this momentum going forward.

If this comes out looking like what we see in these latest videos, the open world is huge and filled with sidequests, towns and awesome secrets, then I do not mind that Square took this long to get the new FF out.

Famassu

having re-read this thread, I don't think I have ever seen such a positive/hyped FFXV thread since the re-reveal at E3 last year. The open-world non-corridor display really seems to have brought a lot of people over to the hype side, or at-least brought about a more positive sentiment. Let's hope squenix can continue to build on this momentum going forward.
The biggest problem has always been the fact that they have not been showing it. Sure there are some of those who hate Nomura's character designs with a passion and some who would prefer a more traditional turn-/ATB-based combat system or a more traditional fantasy world and then there are some who are just ignorant about the game (i.e. thinking the E3 2013 trailer proved the game would be as linear as FFXIII), but whenever we've seen it, it has always garnered some pretty positive hype. It's just that that positivity has turned sour after the game returned to shadows for long periods of time. Repeat that "OMG HYPE -> no-show for 2 years" cycle more than once and you've got people turning pretty pessimistic even if the game has always seemed filled with potential. But now the game seems to finally be nearing completion and they have started showing it and it's actually looking to be everything they've been promising (excl. directly controllable team members), so it's not surprising they are starting to win the more pessimistic people to their sides again. The more optimistic of us knew that this is what they were aiming for and didn't lose hope that this is what they could achieve.

I don't think there would have been even nearly as much negativity surrounding this game if they had kept showing it even semi-regularly or at least been more open about the game at times, even if they had announced delays due to moving forward from PS3. The silence surrounding this game from January 2011 to E3 2013 was kinda ridiculous.

SPAW

The biggest problem has always been the fact that they have not been showing it. Sure there are some of those who hate Nomura's character designs with a passion and some who would prefer a more traditional turn-/ATB-based combat system or a more traditional fantasy world and then there are some who are just ignorant about the game (i.e. thinking the E3 2013 trailer proved the game would be as linear as FFXIII), but whenever we've seen it, it has always garnered some pretty positive hype. It's just that that positivity has turned sour after the game returned to shadows for long periods of time. Repeat that "OMG HYPE -> no-show for 2 years" cycle more than once and you've got people turning pretty pessimistic even if the game has always seemed filled with potential. But now the game seems to finally be nearing completion and they have started showing it and it's actually looking to be everything they've been promising (excl. directly controllable team members), so it's not surprising they are starting to win the more pessimistic people to their sides again. The more optimistic of us knew that this is what they were aiming for and didn't lose hope that this is what they could achieve.

I don't think there would have been even nearly as much negativity surrounding this game if they had kept showing it even semi-regularly or at least been more open about the game at times, even if they had announced delays due to moving forward from PS3. The silence surrounding this game from January 2011 to E3 2013 was kinda ridiculous.

Jepp, the absence from the public eye and the strange no shows (especially TGS2013-E3-2014) really didn't do this game any favors.

At the same time, I think this latest showing have had the most positive impact as it crushed the validity of statements arguing that this would be FF-on rails or corridor FF ala FFXIII. A concern that many still held - or got reinforced - after the 2013 re-reveal.

For me, the only thing missing now is a story trailer that does two things: set up the premise of a road-trip within a overarching dark hamletian story and clear up the confusion with Stella/Luna - No twin bullshite please.

A concern that many still held - or got reinforced - after the 2013 re-reveal.

A concern that I never really got, to be completely honest.

E3 2013 story trailer, by all accounts, was a story trailer that took place during a cinematic story sequence. Stuff that was always linear to begin with, even dating back to FFIV, where dramatic story events were moment-to-moment set-pieces that your characters were very clearly directed throughout.

When it comes to the 'story moments', FF is as linear as it gets, because it's a story driven cinematic adventure. It's in the other parts of FF that it's more open, such as the overworlds, the towns, the exploration, etc.

For me, the only thing missing now is a story trailer that does two things: set up the premise of a road-trip within a overarching dark hamletian story and clear up the confusion with Stella/Luna - No twin bullshite please.

I'm expecting this at E3, to be honest.

I feel like they're going to tease a bit of it at Jump Festa, but still keep the focus entirely on Duscae all the way till March. And then at E3, we'll see the story trailer proper which covers all the underlying dark plots like the war for crystals, the mystic eyes, etc.

Famassu

Great, I am looking forward to some variety. There is only so many vast areas of grassy highlands you can have.

I don't think variety will be any kind of problem. The two cities they've shown so far couldn't be more different, with Tokyo x gothic style on one side with Lucis and a super exaggerated fantasy-Venice on the other with Accordo'a capital. I'm assuming similar variety applies to the other cities & overworld as well, especially given the (part of a?) world map we've seen. There's plenty of room for everything ranging from the hilly countryside to more unforgiving mountain regions and sunny beaches and uninhabited remote(-ish) islands.

SPAW

A concern that I never really got, to be completely honest.

E3 2013 story trailer, by all accounts, was a story trailer that took place during a cinematic story sequence. Stuff that was always linear to begin with, even dating back to FFIV, where dramatic story events were moment-to-moment set-pieces that your characters were very clearly directed throughout.

When it comes to the 'story moments', FF is as linear as it gets, because it's a story driven cinematic adventure. It's in the other parts of FF that it's more open, such as the overworlds, the towns, the exploration, etc.

I think of this more as a testament of the negative impact FFXIII had on the gaming population than anything XV actually did. Watching the E3-2013 primed with worry for corridors, linearity, and with no prior knowledge of Nomuras statements concerning versus, I think it becomes more understandable why some people was worried.

Personally, the reveal of FFXV was everything I could have hoped for. A dark, mysterious, action packed adventure with some of the most epic original trailer music around. No wonder Brandon at Gametrailers scored it as one of the best trailers at E3 that year - second to MGS if I remember correctly.

I'm expecting this at E3, to be honest.

I feel like they're going to tease a bit of it at Jump Festa, but still keep the focus entirely on Duscae all the way till March. And then at E3, we'll see the story trailer proper which covers all the underlying dark plots like the war for crystals, the mystic eyes, etc.

Unfortunately, you are probably correct. This smells Square-Enix PR-logic all the way to the bank. Hyping us on the demo and then shifting to the larger picture of FFXV at E3 after the demo has gone on sale with type-0.

The major problem I have with that is the fact that what originally got me interested in Versus was just those story aspects. The dark tone with a spell of tragedy just made it so unique at the time of its conception. Especially if it is juxtaposed to FFXIII. Now, nearly 10 years later, even if "the last of us" kinda did what Nomura wanted to do with his more mature-story, it is still one of the major reason why I want this game.

So, let's hope Jump Festa gives us something more than a glimmer of the larger story.

Philippo

Best case scenario? They'll show a story-focused trailer at Jump Festa that will not necessarily show too much completely new stuff that we have never heard of or seen in trailers, just old scenes as they are now or something that clarifies how the story is now if there are any more significant changes. Maybe show some glimpses of Lucis and/or Accordo gameplay. That would leave them with the ATR then focusing on expanding on some of the stuff seen in the trailer (maybe giving more detailed explanation on the role of certain characters & explain some stuff in the trailer, if it's not too spoiler-y) and maybe showing a bit more city gameplay. After that, I expect 1 or 2 ATRs at most before/soon after the demo was released. One to maybe give a kind of short demonstration of "ok, this is the finished demo you'll be getting with all events/monsters "turned on" and with the level of graphics that we have achieved so far" and a second maybe sometime after the demo's release to answer most critique/questions that have arisen after people have played the demo. After that, I doubt we'll see FFVX until June in E3, where we'll probably get a big new trailer showing something completely new and with maybe some major gameplay feature announcement (airship confirm/showcase? first summon(s)?)

Yeah, tat's pretty much what i wrote, and what i'm expecting.
Fine with it, they can show anything they want.

Just to clarify this.

Is it just me or this Roberto Ferrari popped out of nowhere?
I'm glad a fellow italian is in such a high position for my most anticipated game ever.

Yeah, we're the guys who never lost faith. Never.
I swear i even have friends who mocks me for this.

- Noctis is said to be a morally ambiguous man. He is the prince of a Yakuza royal family, who has the power to predict a person's demise. Rivalry with Stella, main female character from an opposing nation. Has a Romeo & Juliet relationship. Game plot seems to take a page from Hamlet by Shakespeare.
I don't think they've ever said the inspiration was going to be THAT literal. I know quote they used was from Hamlet, but I don't think it means they are going for a literal interpretation of Hamlet as a whole. That quote, more so, sets the scene of how characters will act and be motivated WITHIN XV's world's events. And Romeo & Juliet, the ONLY reason this was brought up is because people see guy from one kingdom, girl from another, plus rivalry and Shakespeare name drop(despite it being JUST a quote from ANOTHER one of his plays) and their brains just seem to think of that by default, that means "Romeo & Juliet". I really don't think that was ever a thing they planned, and was totally concocted on the fan side by speculation based on "reading too much into something"(kinda like how some people saw the FFVII PS3 tech demo, and immediately thought.... "They ARE making a FFVII REMAKE!!!").

charsace

Off the top of my head:

- Summons are divided into tier. Leviathan is considered high in ranking, which explains its size.

- boss battles are a huge deal in this game. There are several cinematic set pieces scattered throughout the game that highlights these moments. This means less cutscenes.

Check out everything else in the link Exentryk sent you and some articles in Gematsu. :p

I thought Noctis is gay? How could they be Romeo and Juliet if Noctis is not interested in women romantically?

That was an April's Fool joke.

It wasn't a joke, it was people speculating based on this comment by Nomura

Nomura: The Versus protagonist is not a character with a Squall-like or Cloud-like personality like everyone is thinking now. He is a type that has not been seen in the generations of the series yet For a long time now, I have wanted to try making a character like him, but I hesitated because he is a type of character that might fall close to “out of bounds.”

So... personality unlike that of Squall and Cloud + out of bounds = gay?

10$ saying it just means Noctis is a douchey bad boy.

That would describe Cloud and Squall pretty well though. My guess at the time was that this was in reference to Noctis being a true introvert, quiet and lacking confidence, as at the time Nomura was describing him in very much that way. No idea if that's still anywhere near true, Noctis hasn't shown much personality in recent trailers.

It was a joke. There was actually a joke on April Fools that claimed Noctis was confirmed as gay.

I don't remember that, but the genuine speculation started with that comment. I actually remember the thread where that interview was first posted and people immediately took that to mean he was gay. And if you look around other forums with that quote you'll see others took it to mean that as well. Which never really made sense to me because if you read everything Nomura said, he's talking about his belief that main characters in FF games aren't given strong personalities in order to avoid interfering with player empathy. He believes that those are saved for side roles. But with Noctis he's going to have a very strong personality.

Ishida

Banned
I don't remember that, but the genuine speculation started with that comment. I actually remember the thread where that interview was first posted and people immediately took that to mean he was gay. And if you look around other forums with that quote you'll see others took it to mean that as well. Which never really made sense to me because if you read everything Nomura said, he's talking about his belief that main characters in FF games aren't given strong personalities in order to avoid interfering with player empathy. He believes that those are saved for side roles. But with Noctis he's going to have a very strong personality.

It was from Kotaku, which claimed that they had interviewed Nomura, and that he said Noctis was homosexual. Of course the article has been removed, but you can see some reactions here:

http://community.us.playstation.com...nterview-quot-Noctis-is-gay-quot/td-p/1673549

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.184422-Noctis-from-Versus-will-be-homosexual

http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/131034-Apparently-Noctis-is-gay-(according-to-Nomura)

Setsu00

Is it just me or this Roberto Ferrari popped out of nowhere?
I'm glad a fellow italian is in such a high position for my most anticipated game ever.

Roberto Ferrari has been in the Japanese game industry for a long time now, actually. He worked on a variety of SE's games so already, e.g. he did some NPCs for Type-0.

Koozek

Roberto Ferrari has been in the Japanese game industry for a long time now, actually. He worked on a variety of SE's games so already, e.g. he did some NPCs for Type-0.

I've always been excited to hear more about his involvement. It's the first time a non-Japanese worked on a mainline FF's char design, right?

EDIT: Here's Roberto's sister's blog where she proudly presents some of his artwork^^
http://daftbunziblogger.blogspot.de/2013/06/final-fantasy-xv.html

Top Bottom