• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Mario Game tease

TreIII

SuperAndroid17 said:
if its Mario party THEY BETTER FUCKING ADD DONKEY KONG BACK IN THE ROSTER!!

Definitely not Paper Mario I think.. he doesn't talk right? I honestly don't remember him talking in #2

He did say a few things.

Mostly like "Oh yes." and "Let's go" and other unintelligible things.

Ranger X

This will inevitably be a side game.

Common, there's 2 "real" Mario games coming right now, I refuse to believe there would be a third one. Sorry.

iceatcs

Hmm, I got funny feeling there might be no more Mario on any sports from Nintendo.
I will love to play Mario sports than Wii Sports tho.

Anyway I rather like Mario RPG for Wii specially for us.

Akai said:
Perhaps they recently gained a bunch of people, because I'm pulling my numbers directly from their site (which is updated regularly)...If they have that many that's great...

Weird,the source of the number is the japanese site,maybe its a mistranslation

Interesting.
Mario Party 9 would be nice. it's been too long since the last one... Do we even know what Hudson's working on now? This could be a possibility...

Personally, I hope it is something like Paper Mario 3 or Super Paper Mario 2.

Also, I don't remember hearing about this "Mario Collection", but the more I fantasize about it, the more I really want to play a remake of Super Mario World 2.

Even though I didn't care too much for the first one, a Luigi's Mansion with Wii remote flashlight controls is a fantasy of mine.

sphinx

the piano man
couldn't he be fired for saying this?

Nintendo hates nothing more than info leaks about future projects.

A new Mario Tennis is another good choice.

SuperAndroid17 said:
Definitely not Paper Mario I think.. he doesn't talk right? I honestly don't remember him talking in #2
I'm not sure about the first one (haven't played it in a while), but he does his little Mario sound bytes in TTYD and SPM.

Hiltz said:
Charles Martinet (the voice of Mario) recently teased about doing a voice recording gig in Seattle for a new Mario title. He says that it's not for New Super Mario Bros. Wii or Mario Galaxy 2.

Here's what he said on Twitter about it:

Mama Mia!!!! I'm going to Seattle this week to record a new Mario game! Woo Hooo!!!!! I can hardly wait!!!!1

The fuck? Isn't this guy about 30 years too old to be talking like a tween?

Cow Mengde said:
Shigeru Miyamoto's Twitter is hinting at something too. He mentioned Squareenix in it. I'm guessing the game is Super Mario RPG 2 with Geno returning.

For the love of fucking god, please, please, please. I can only dream that this is the case.

Harpuia

Cow Mengde said:
Shigeru Miyamoto's Twitter is hinting at something too. He mentioned Squareenix in it. I'm guessing the game is Super Mario RPG 2 with Geno returning.

If this happens, I will get it day -1. This I swear.

NeonZ

Hm... Nintendo has broken their "one main Mario game per gen" police this generation, so couldn't they do the same to Smash Bros or Mario Kart? Out of those two, I think Smash would be more likely from a sales perspective, considering how it had more front-loaded sales, so it wouldn't kill much current profit. However, there's the matter regarding the development studio and how Sakurai is known to be working in some other project, so Mario Kart is the more likely to get a sequel, out of those two. In general, sequels to neither game are very likely.

A new Paper Mario wouldn't be too weird considering how IS hasn't done much on consoles since SPM. If it's a new Paper Mario, I really hope it's a Paper Mario 3, rather than SPM2. Mario Party's absence probably is related to M&S at the Olympics games, so I don't think we'll see the return of that series anytime soon.

sphinx said:

The fact that he hasnt been nuked yet tells us that the project he just spoiled isnt something nintendo actually cares about people knowing.

NeonZ said:
Hm... Nintendo has broken their "one main Mario game per gen" police this generation, so couldn't they do the same to Smash Bros or Mario Kart? Out of those two, I think Smash would be more likely from a sales perspective, considering how it had more front-loaded sales, so it wouldn't kill much current profit. However, there's the matter regarding the development studio and how Sakurai is known to be working in some other project, so Mario Kart is the more likely to get a sequel, out of those two. In general, sequels to neither game are very likely.

A new Paper Mario wouldn't be too weird considering how IS hasn't done much on consoles since SPM. If it's a new Paper Mario, I really hope it's a Paper Mario 3, rather than SPM2. Mario Party's absence probably is related to M&S at the Olympics games, so I don't think we'll see the return of that series anytime soon.

What? There's been multiple main Mario games per gen before...We ARE NOT getting a new Smash game this gen. That much is a FACT

TreIII

Harpuia said:
If this happens, I will get it day -1. This I swear.

Of course, the last time we had Square Enix involved...we got Mario Basketball and that Itagaki Street game.

Jus sayin'. :lol

Ranger X said:
This will inevitably be a side game.

Common, there's 2 "real" Mario games coming right now, I refuse to believe there would be a third one. Sorry.

Exactly. Plus Nintendo would never announced a game that was scheduled to come out late next year, which is the only time a new Mario could be a viable option.

I'm going with some side game.

NeonZ

What? There's been multiple main Mario games per gen before...

Nintendo 64 and GameCube only got one main Mario game.

You'd need to return to SNES to see a console with more than one Mario game, and, even the SNES only got one traditional Mario platformer, World, with Yoshi's Island diverging a lot from the traditional format.

What I'm hoping for
Paper Mario 3
Mario Tennis Wii M+
Mario Party 9 (made in-house by Nintendo)

Of course NSMB 2, but with the Wii version coming soon I don't see it being released till DS2.

ZeoVGM

Banned
The only thing this SHOULD be is New Super Mario Bros. 2, designed around the gameplay of Super Mario Bros. 2

The fact that Nintendo hasn't turned that into a DS franchise is fucking mind boggling to me. It came out in May 2006. Three and a half years ago.

They could have put out NSMB2 (in the style of SMB2) in May 2008 and we should be getting NSMB3 (in the style of SMB3) in May 2010. Followed by the final obvious New Super Mario World.

I really feel like Nintendo dropped the ball and missed a HUGE opportunity. :\

ryan-ts

NeonZ said:
Nintendo 64 and GameCube only got one main Mario game.

You'd need to return to SNES to see a console with more than one Mario game, and, even the SNES only got one traditional Mario platformer, World, with Yoshi's Island diverging a lot from the traditional format.

I don't think there was ever any rule, I think it had more to do with the N64 and Gamecube not having enough supporters to make it worth while to devote a top team to a new Mario game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
New Mario Party. We're due.

DefectiveReject said:
Due to the Success of Mario Kart Wii, i'm actually expecting them to throw out another one to boost Wii sales April time.

Why cant they just put Mario kart arcade on the virtual console?

:(

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
oh god please be something in which a meta joke about how worthless luigi is gets made

and maybe mario will fold into some sort of different form to fit through previously impassable spaces

and STAR POWERS. oh, such star powers there'll be

Captain N

jamesinclair said:
Why cant they just put Mario kart arcade on the virtual console?

:(

your avatar reminded me. Where is our Kirby tilt & tumble with motion plus? I don't even care if it's only a WiiWare title.

J-Rock

Banned
I too think it might be the secret Nintendo game the NVC Podcast(IGN) mentioned recently. I guessed that it might be a Mario Party that supports MotionPlus.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
nintendo's p.r. sheet for this new game calls for a rat with a note pinned to its back to circle four square blocks of hoboken new jersey tomorrow

omg rite said:
The only thing this SHOULD be is New Super Mario Bros. 2, designed around the gameplay of Super Mario Bros. 2

The fact that Nintendo hasn't turned that into a DS franchise is fucking mind boggling to me. It came out in May 2006. Three and a half years ago.

They could have put out NSMB2 (in the style of SMB2) in May 2008 and we should be getting NSMB3 (in the style of SMB3) in May 2010. Followed by the final obvious New Super Mario World.

I really feel like Nintendo dropped the ball and missed a HUGE opportunity. :\

Nintendo mysteriously takes a long time with many of their popular franchises.

No Zelda game from 1993-1998
No Mario sidescroller from 1991 - 2006

I mean, it makes sense when it's a franchise that's a "one game per console" thing, like F-Zero or Mario Kart... but still.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
permutated said:
The fuck? Isn't this guy about 30 years too old to be talking like a tween?
The guy's a little on the ecentric side

sphinx said:

Yes, Nintendo is going to fire the voice of Mario and numerous other Nintendo characters just because he twittered this. Nevermind the fact that Nintendo makes numerous Mario games a year and thus this tweet tells us nothing but the obvious, or that Martinet actually works freelance so he can't really be "fired" in the literal sense, or that Martinet does numerous trade shows and promotional work..... because he is going to be fired for a this tweet. Of course

Nekofrog

Banned
I would prefer Paper Mario 3.

But then I'm weird, while I loved Mario RPG back when it came out, I don't really like the game anymore.

Memles

What's awkward with Mario Sports right now is that there's reason for both Golf and Tennis to be delayed further: Golf just got another redo in Wii Sports Resort, and while Tennis didn't they only recently rereleased Mario Power Tennis w/ Wii capability. WiiMotionPlus would mean that the latter is still likely to come eventually, but so soon seems a bit strange.

As a result, my money is on Mario Party.

adg1034

beelzebozo said:
oh god please be something in which a meta joke about how worthless luigi is gets made

and maybe mario will fold into some sort of different form to fit through previously impassable spaces

and STAR POWERS. oh, such star powers there'll be

No. TTYD was great, but Nintendo really needs to let IntelligentSystems off the leash for a while. I'd love to see them work on an original concept, especially with the Wii controls.

Top Bottom