• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Model (CECH-4000) Registered on FCC (Jeff_Rigby alert)

diamount

Banned
I never understood the whole
PS3 is quieter than Xbox 360.

While my old 360 was loud, my PS3 get's really loud after it's been on for 30 minutes.
I have no clue why.

Anyway i'm down for a new model of the PS3, but considering they showed off that bundle with AC3 (Using a regular slim) they're either going to change that or this sucker isn't coming out until next year.

Something to do with the hardware heating up maybe? Thus the fans are working harder to cool them down.

http://www.gamerfuzion.com/rumor-new-ps3-console-in-the-making/ said:
The rumor has it that Sony is working not an a PS4 but an a new PS3 which will have more features and more powerful. We also heard that the new PS3 will be slimmer in which we think is following after the slim xbox 360 that was a hit. Now we have yet to confirm these rumors of the new PS3. Also the Japanese Site Pocket News is reporting that Sony has filed paperwork with the FCC for a new PS3 in which makes the rumor almost a reality. Now we just need to wait for specs
Again, no support.

Jeff, you can't cite a random website that offers nothing that they couldn't have read in this thread as backup to your claims. Especially when they are as vague as they are in that article.
It's not a cite as much as just a post. I won't mention here what I think will give weight to a rumor post but it will tie into
told you I can't mention it

onQ123

No support for this so I don't know if it can be believed. <grin> I didn't write it.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to anything she post on that website.

Granny Turismo Coming to 3DS and 3DS XL
BY NÝ – JULY 6, 2012
POSTED IN: FEATURE, GAME NEWS, GAMING

granny-turismo-banner.png

In a surprise press conference last night, Sony announced some shocking news for their Gran Turismo franchise. For the first time ever, Sony is teaming up with Nintendo to bring their popular Gran Turismo series to the 3DS. The new 3DS version, entitled Granny Turismo, will be launched along side the 3DS XL. Granny Turismo will also be available in a special bundle pack with a limited edition 3DS XL, available only at Elder-Beerman.

The 3DS exclusive will feature an all-new line-up of the hottest cars around. Three of the cars to be featured in Granny Turismo were announced at Sony’s press conference last night:

granny_turismo.png

Lincoln Town Car
Cadillac CTS
Buick Roadmaster
The game play will be slightly altered from the previous Gran Turismo titles to appeal to the target market of the 3DS XL. Instead of racing, the player will drive the car to the supermarket, pharmacy, post office, and a variety of other exciting places to complete their errands! You must return to your garage before it gets dark, as it is impossible to see the road after sunset. The cars in Granny Turismo will have a maximum driving speed of 45 mph on highways. Players will also have the option to drive on the wrong side of the road without receiving a penalty.

You grandchildren will be in awe of your sweet ride!

The limited edition Granny Turismo 3DS XL, available exclusively at Elder-Beerman, will feature a built-in picture frame to display your favorite photos of your grandchildren. By reserving your Granny Turismo 3DS XL bundle, you will also receive a limited edition Granny Turismo pill organizer as a pre-order bonus.

http://www.8bitbites.com/2012/07/06/granny-turismo-coming-to-3ds-and-3ds-xl/

spwolf

Something to do with the hardware heating up maybe? Thus the fans are working harder to cool them down.

first versions especially would draw a lot of air inside, and if you dont clean it (vacuum) at least once every 4-5 months, it would get fucked up and go kaput. More dust, less air comes in, harder/lauder fans work...

new slims need a lot less air to cool so less dust and less issues.

You're the only one I know who has made PS3.5 rumours, lol.
Serious ones pointing out how it would be done with DETAILS yes but there have been others like this one:

Speaking about the "re-engineering" of the game business at the Hot Chips conference, he said that Sony and Microsoft nearly expired getting the PS3 and Xbox 360 to market, and are therefore not likely to be in any rush to release brand new home consoles.

"I expected we'll see a PlayStation 3.5 before we see a PlayStation 4 and an Xbox 560 before we see an Xbox 720," he said, according to VentureBeat.

Hilleman also said that online will play an increasingly dominant role in the industry's future. "The biggest shift is how fast packaged goods games are changing and going away. If I want to go to see the past of gaming, I go to Japan. If I want to see the future, I go to Korea."
XTV (IPTV and more), on-line play (Gaikai, WebGL, Flash, MMO, Home, Sims, Augmented Reality). Korea was first in using the PS3 for IPTV in 2007. There was a Gstreamer DASH IPTV with DRM player in 2009.

EA went so far as to release a webkit toolbox/browser for both Xbox360 and PS3 in 2010. More information here. Why is it taking them so long to port a full browser? The answer is standards and supporting an ecosystem. The time for XTV to take off requires everyone else to be ready to support it. This is why Google TV faltered. Webkit2 (in CE platforms) will be fully supported by Sept of this year. This is why the Xbox will have a browser for the first time late this year and the PS3 browser will be finished. This is why Microsoft bought Skype and is releasing a Xbox 361 with 1080P, multi-tasking, HDMI pass-thru and low power modes this year and the PS3 had a chat program supported 1080P (Blu-ray too) and browser from day one.

The second part of this August 2009 prediction I think everyone can now see is coming. The first part we will know when we see a picture of the back side of the 4000 series with 2 HDMI ports (In & Out to support XTV HDMI pass-thru). XTV implies low power modes and instant on and AMD building blocks, TSVs and SOCs make building a cheap SOC for a PS3+ possible. Both Xbox3 and PS3 had to wait till this year when both XTV and the AMD + IBM + Samsung consortium were ready.

Serious ones pointing out how it would be done with DETAILS yes but there have been others like this one:

XTV (IPTV and more), on-line play (Gaikai, WebGL, Flash, MMO, Home, Sims, Augmented Reality). Korea was first in using the PS3 for IPTV.

The second part of this August 2009 prediction I think everyone can now see is coming. The first part we will know when we see a picture of the back side of the 4000 series with 2 HDMI ports (In & Out to support XTV HDMI pass-thru).

Sims?

Home
Second Life
Life MMORPG
Real Life
List of 52 MMORPG on-line games

Now compare the PS3 Home to the others above. Notice that Home on the PS3 is artificially resource limited like it has a planned use in other platforms without a hard disk. Second Life comes closest to Home and if you have followed it, has been in advance of new Home features and it's using many of the same libraries the PS3 is now using to support Home and will use for the browser.

Home
Second Life
Life MMORPG
Real Life
List of 52 MMORPG on-line games

Now compare the PS3 Home to the others above. Notice that Home on the PS3 is artificially resource limited like it has a planned use in other platforms without a hard disk. Second Life comes closest to Home and if you have followed it, has been in advance of new Home features and it's using many of the same libraries the PS3 is now using to support Home.

Wouldn't it be great if Home was loaded at all times on PS4? Or to have an option in wich you boot straight into Home.

Wouldn't it be great if Home was loaded at all times on PS4? Or to have an option in wich you boot straight into Home.
I'm expecting Home to become a WebGL game eventually. It will probably use webCL and a new engine that uses OpenCL calls. Then with a browser always loaded, most of the Home Libraries will already be loaded. Still have to build the 3D world and Avatars. Anyway, it will then work on Vita and might be released/supported on other platforms.

With PS4 comes multiple power modes and probably hibernate. You could turn on you PS4 and be in Home instantly provided Home supports that type of login. Other existing Avatars and other variables will have to be reloaded and built.

iavi

My attempt at a PS3 slim redesign

aat44LTz.jpg

edit: forgot the EJECT and POWER buttons lolol
It doesnt need them, my version is powered by YOUR MIND

I'd buy. It'd be like we came full circle back to the OG PS2 design - my fav console design ever.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
I don't want the top to be rounded, keep it flat so I can put a PS2 on top of it. Since the PS2 is top-loaded I can't put the PS3 on top of that. If PS3 keeps the slot and have a flat top, I will buy that and a new PS2 at the same time.

Elios83

What's a conservative estimate to what the pricing on this new PS3 is going to be, assuming no frills.

199$/€, everything is pretty predictable at this point.
The only thing left unanswered is if they're gonna ditch the internal sata hard drive for on board flash memory with the possibility to use an external USB drive to expand memory capacity.

lucius

So what is the earliest we will likely see some kind of price drop even to the current Slim models?

I need a Slim for another room, I don't really trust buying used.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So what is the earliest we will likely see some kind of price drop even to the current Slim models?

If it is going to happen with this new model, which it should, it will be at GamesCom.

Shiggy

What kind of price drop do you expect? With both the 250GB 360 and the 320GB PS3 at 199.99€ at the moment, prices probably won't go down until the release of the Wii U.

lucius

What kind of price drop do you expect? With both the 250GB 360 and the 320GB PS3 at 199.99&#8364; at the moment, prices probably won't go down until the release of the Wii U.

$20-40 would be great, I see Gamescom is in August, I already have an extra 320HD ready so I kind of paying extra for that included hard drive in the current Slim, with 360 at least you can still get the cheaper one without the HD. Maybe I should just get the 160 Slim, this new version might just come out in 320GB or higher and cost the same.

Hope Sony is reading this.

I have a feeling they are already moving to that. Same for demo's as well instead of downloading an hours worth of data for a demo.

But yeah, I've said this before. Streaming Home would allow ANY connected Sony device to hop in, instantly, it would allow INSTANT transition from location to location instead of download a 40mb+ room. All of that would be server side. It would be perfect.

Theonik

I just thought of something crazy. Let's say the new slim will have no HDD right? That would be stupid for their digital strategy and severely undermine their PS+ plans. But, they bought Gaikai recently. What is the likelyhood they might stick 16GB in there and also give the device the ability to stream PSN (and PS+ games) using Gaikai? The thing there is that they alleviate the need for larger HDDs if all downloadable games can be streamed. Probably a very dumb idea. Just thinking out loud here. (I'm not even sure if they can get something like that working by the time they'd have to launch the new slim of if it would even work great)

What kind of price drop do you expect? With both the 250GB 360 and the 320GB PS3 at 199.99&#8364; at the moment, prices probably won't go down until the release of the Wii U.
Isn't the cheapest PS3 at 249 at this moment? I'd expect an official drop to 199 or, though very unlikely even lower.

Mario007

Isn't the cheapest PS3 at 249 at this moment? I'd expect an official drop to 199 if or possibly though very unlikely even lower.

I'd actually expect it in 169-180 euro/dollars region. I think a 50 euro price-cut is too low when introducing a new slim model.

lucius

A top loading system would be good since it would likely last longer, but I would pick up the current Slim over that unless there some other real benefits.

spwolf

199$/€, everything is pretty predictable at this point.
The only thing left unanswered is if they're gonna ditch the internal sata hard drive for on board flash memory with the possibility to use an external USB drive to expand memory capacity.

why would they ditch hdd?

Shiggy

Isn't the cheapest PS3 at 249 at this moment? I'd expect an official drop to 199 or, though very unlikely even lower.

Prices vary on a daily basis. At the moment, Amazon.de has it for 220€. Yesterday, another retailer still had it for 199.99€.

why would they ditch hdd?

There is no way to continually lower costs with HDDs as the base cost is always going to be around $50. With Sony buying Gaikai, there is a good chance that they could move PSN games to streaming, wholesale, negating the need for huge amounts of storage.

Top Bottom