• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Model (CECH-4000) Registered on FCC (Jeff_Rigby alert)

Went onto the Brasil Anatel site (Their version of FCC) and I can't find any reference to a 4000 series. Just 2000 and 3000 series.

http://sistemas.anatel.gov.br/sgch/Consulta/Homologacao/tela.asp

Choose on Solicitante: Sony Brasil Ltda.
Choose on Palavra-chave Modelo: cec

click on confirm at bottom

The Brasil blog links this page: http://sistemas.anatel.gov.br/sgch/Consulta/Homologacao/MontaListaArquivos.asp?NumRfgct=189312 but there is no mention of model number and just as with the FCC registration, photos are declared to be omitted...NOT INCLUDED or not accessable!

Can someone confirm this. At this point I'm assuming that it's fake but there may be quirks in the Anatel site or a pending option that a global search doesn't find.

Awesome

Banned
The slim version had the same problem in the pictures before it was released but it turned out to be fine, most likely these are just incomplete or maybe prototypes.

Massa

Went onto the Brasil Anatel site (Their version of FCC) and I can't find any reference to a 4000 series. Just 2000 and 3000 series.

The tecnoblog link leads to the Anatel page for this product. The photos and manual are hidden "until the product release" per SCEA's request, but the blog claims they can usually access data marked hidden by Anatel. That's how they got these photos.

This is not the first time they get their hands on confidential Anatel material - this is a link for an iPad 3 story.

The Brasil blog links this page: http://sistemas.anatel.gov.br/sgch/Consulta/Homologacao/MontaListaArquivos.asp?NumRfgct=189312 but there is no mention of model number and just as with the FCC registration, photos are declared to be omitted...NOT INCLUDED or not accessable!

Can someone confirm this. At this point I'm assuming that it's fake but there may be quirks in the Anatel site or a pending option that a global search doesn't find.

It's not fake.

herod

it's time to start considering that your research and conclusion drawing methodology is fundamentally flawed.

it's time to start considering that your research and conclusion drawing methodology is fundamentally flawed.
Yes I am considering that and that's why I am trying to confirm. First rule is to take no ones word for anything, independently confirm by going to the FCC Anatel site. No listing for a 4000 series!

At this point someone should follow up to confirm I'm correct.

coldfoot

Banned
Yes I am considering that and that's why I am trying to confirm. First rule is to take no ones word for anything, independently confirm by going to the FCC Anatel site. No listing for a 4000 series!

At this point someone should follow up to confirm I'm correct.

It's supposed to be hidden from the general public for 180 days and you claim it's fake because you can't see it on the website? The leak is obviously by someone from Anatel or who can access their computers.

It's supposed to be hidden from the general public for 180 days and you claim it's fake because you can't see it on the website? The leak is obviously by someone from Anatel or who can access their computers.
It's not just the pictures, there is no listing for a 4000 series, 2000 and 3000 are listed. Try for yourself.

There is, like I just told you above. Follow the Anatel link provided on blog and read the first of the 4 PDF's.
I can't read the PDF's. Can you post a copy of what's in the PDF.

Thanks.

coldfoot said:
They didn't list it because Sony asked them not to? Or simply the DB that website uses has not been updated?
I don't know but if that's the case then how can someone else access something that is not listed? I'm simply trying to confirm and can't. This is what many accuse me of not doing yet when I try to do so.....

Elios83

I can't read the PDF's. Can you post a copy of what's in the PDF.

Thanks.

I don't know but if that's the case then how can someone else access something that is not listed?

It says that on May 23 Sony submitted CECH4011A, CECH4011B and CECH4011C for conformity approval. Sony Brasil is asking them not to make pictures and manuals public before the products are actually released (LOL).

So well, get over it jeff, you were just wrong, it happens although your ideas were crazy enough to begin with so it was bound to happen anyway ;)

I believe you can check it out here.
OK, switched from Chrome to Explorer and it has a copy listing the 4000 series. So so far confirmed.

Digitimes Rumor 100% false. If Microsoft comes out with the Xbox361 this makes Sony a no go for the casual market. PS4 must release soon and at a price point the PS3 currently occupies. No Backward compatibility for PS4, PS3 line dropped when California implements Power efficiency rules for Game Consoles which is happening about the same time the PS4 releases.

There is the possibility that this model has everything but the HDMI pass-thru. That's hard to believe though that Sony would allow Microsoft such an obvious advantage unless the PS3 is feared competing with other Sony platforms.

Damn, we're still having this discussion? The unit is not a fake.

I'm just amazed that Sony have managed to keep it under wraps since the filing date in May. The last slim leaked around that time, before E3 which made it a total disappointment for many.

Slim has a peak consumption of 250w. 190w would be a good improvement.

so does that label that reads 190w mean thats its peak consumption? Just want to make sure were comparing apples to apples. If so why does jeff not think a 60w reduction, which is about 25%, is not significant enough for a revision?

Luigiv

so does that label that reads 190w mean thats its peak consumption? Just want to make sure were comparing apples to apples. If so why does jeff not think a 60w reduction, which is about 25%, is not significant enough for a revision?

Yes, power (and by extension current) ratings on PSU's are always peak ratings.

Voltage ratings are, however, fixed ratings.

Edit: Oops those are input ratings not output ratings. In that case input voltages can be variable but within a fixed range. The part about current and power ratings being peak ratings still holds true for both input and output.

Latest 3000 series pulls less than 80 watts. They kept the same power 250 watt supply thru several revisions but if this is a new cheaper model I expected lower than a 190 watt peak power supply.

HDMI pass through is too new to be implemented into console revisions, for both Microsoft and Sony.

Both companies are going to wait and see with it. And it will be prominent in the next gen systems.

190W is just peak, the system will probably draw around 50-60W under normal operation. I think it is a combined 32nm chip fabbed by Toshiba. It should shrink down to 22nm by the end of next year paving the way for a $129 console around the time when PS4 is going to launch.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
HDMI pass through is too new to be implemented into console revisions, for both Microsoft and Sony.

Both companies are going to wait and see with it. And it will be prominent in the next gen systems.

Hdmi switching with GUI overlay is getting quite common on even low end AV receivers. So it's definitely something technically doable at a reasonable cost. You just have to balance that cost with other things you want in the next consoles, against what value it'll bring

I'd love to have something like a PS4 connected to my TV permanently, with my cable coming through it. If it means I can quickly access my friends, messaging, and media. Even better if I can bring up and search through my recorded shows or guide data combined with shows from online services - like google TV almost does now.

I wonder how it'd work if you had PS4 and 720 both doing this? You'd probably have to pick one - passing a cable box through a 720 and then through a PS4 (with perhaps an av receiver in there somewhere) would be like like an electronic human centipede.

Hdmi switching with GUI overlay is getting quite common on even low end AV receivers. So it's definitely something technically doable at a reasonable cost. You just have to balance that cost with other things you want in the next consoles, against what value it'll bring

I'd love to have something like a PS4 connected to my TV permanently, with my cable coming through it. If it means I can quickly access my friends, messaging, and media. Even better if I can bring up and search through my recorded shows or guide data combined with shows from online services - like google TV almost does now.

I wonder how it'd work if you had PS4 and 720 both doing this? You'd probably have to pick one - passing a cable box through a 720 and then through a PS4 (with perhaps an av receiver in there somewhere) would be like like an electronic human centipede.

Technically there'd be no barrier since the output is always the same kind of video stream. It would probably just be a mess with competing notifications and UI elements blocking each-other. You'd want your most favored console last in the chain so its stuff is always on top.

A $250 PS4?

Investment in a console redesign to then drop it after one year on the market?

o_O notsureifserious.jpeg
Yes....stupid isn't it. Doesn't make sense to dumb shrink the Cell and RSX as you can't implement low power modes. Either a complete redesign is done now or within about a year and a half or PS3 is dead. I assumed the delay in a PS3 refresh was waiting for IBM & Consortium building block standard components for SOCs.

I expected either a HDMI pass-thru and/or a Kinect like interface as an indication that a major hardware redesign took place.

I'm pretty sure anything currently on the market is grandfathered in, the regulation only applies to devices released after the regulations come into force.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yes....stupid isn't it. Doesn't make sense to dumb shrink the Cell and RSX as you can't implement low power modes. Either a complete redesign is done now or within about a year and a half or PS3 is dead. I assumed the delay in a PS3 refresh was waiting for IBM & Consortium building block standard components for SOCs.

I expected either a HDMI pass-thru and/or a Kinect like interface as an indication that a major hardware redesign took place.

Low power mode is 'console turned off'. Not really complicated Jeff, don't know why you keep pushing on this one

It appears there are multiple new chassis coming with the 4000 series.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/5/3138430/playstation-3-cech-4001x-sony-fcc said:
A pair of debugging stations are also present in the filing, DECH-4001x and DECH-S4001x, suggesting that Sony is putting at least some new hardware through its paces — debugging stations are traditionally used when there's been a change to the chips inside. This could indeed be an all-new slimmer model, but is just as likely to be an internal hardware change as Sony continues to cut the console's cost.

spwolf

OK, switched from Chrome to Explorer and it has a copy listing the 4000 series. So so far confirmed.

Digitimes Rumor 100% false. If Microsoft comes out with the Xbox361 this makes Sony a no go for the casual market. PS4 must release soon and at a price point the PS3 currently occupies. No Backward compatibility for PS4, PS3 line dropped when California implements Power efficiency rules for Game Consoles which is happening about the same time the PS4 releases.

There is the possibility that this model has everything but the HDMI pass-thru. That's hard to believe though that Sony would allow Microsoft such an obvious advantage unless the PS3 is feared competing with other Sony platforms.

what in the world?

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

Man, drop the hang up with California power rules, CA is not going to mold the landscape for game consoles. So they want low power modes when not in use, they all support that now. You are reading way to much into it.

Sony is going to do what they did last gen. Shrink and lower cost on old console, release new console, phase out old one slowly.

hirokazu

Is jeff_rigby a misunderstood genius or bona fide insane? I can't really tell! :0

No offense intended, of course. I rather do like his opinions.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Is jeff_rigby a misunderstood genius or bona fide insane? I can't really tell! :0

No offense intended, of course. I rather do like his opinions.

it seems to go between both, lol.

But seriously, some of his predictions we don't really know yet, these 40XX models don't seem to be the PS3.5 he was predicting that emulated existing hardware, there doesn't seem to be a hint of a depth camera so far either besides what he has dug up and suggested, same for the "Xbox 365", it will be a waiting game to see if he is right or wrong like the other topics.

We will know most of it though by GamesCom, some might think he is crazy or just wrong, but his predictions are at least backed up with some evidence that he finds unlike most others.

PS3s life is not depending on a new hardware design.

amar212

I don't know has then been ask before in this thread, so please do not mind if it is.

So, with 16GB (built-in flash, right?) version incoming, is it safe to presume how that model will offer an HDD to be installed, right?

If yes, is it than presumable how will get an option to have 2 *parallel* drives option, with ability to choose which drive to be used for what - like secondary HDD, but to be used for any type of regular usage?

Thanx in advance.

A $250 PS4?

Investment in a console redesign to then drop it after one year on the market?

o_O notsureifserious.jpeg
The Microsoft Xbox 720 powerpoint has the SOC cost at $50 and the total Xbox 720 cost $225. Charlie at SimiAccurate speculated that the 10,000 Oban wafers made by IBM Dec 2011 is for the Xbox 720 and further calculated that run could make 5 million Xbox720s. Made in Dec 2011 then it should sell this 2011 season or at least by March of next year.

IF a PS3 is now selling for $249 and a Xbox 720 can be made for $225, why should it continue to hold any market share if Microsoft decides to sell at cost or below.

I think (as does eastofeastside) Charlie is wrong and the Oban is for the Xbox 361. IF a Xbox 720 can be made for $225, that indicates that a Xbox 361 SOC with AMD SOC support hardware can be made for much less.

If you think this thru it has implications that impact Sony and the PS3. I expect arguments that a projected cost from 2010 may not be accurate. I'd add that the market is depressed and everyone will bid low to get this business so cost may be less than projected.

There has been a revolution in SOC design created by TSVs and the Consortium (IBM, AMD, Global Foundries, Samsung). The AMD building blocks 2.5D attached to a transposer substrate is causing SOCs to be very economical in Game Console quantity.

I don't know has then been ask before in this thread, so please do not mind if it is.

So, with 16GB (built-in flash, right?) version incoming, is it safe to presume how that model will offer an HDD to be installed, right?

If yes, is it than presumable how will get an option to have 2 *parallel* drives option, with ability to choose which drive to be used for what - like secondary HDD, but to be used for any type of regular usage?

Thanx in advance.

If yes, then its normal, it switches to your (bigger) hdd once you install it but you can still access whats on your 16GB flash storage.

The Microsoft Xbox 720 powerpoint
Shouldn't really be used with regard to specifications, other than vague target multipliers, since it's two years old and was clearly (even to my untrained eye) made by marketers not engineers.
IF a PS3 is now selling for $249 and a Xbox 720 can be made for $225, why should it continue to hold any market share if Microsoft decides to sell at cost or below.
A $225 BoM for XBOX next based on the current rumors?

What?

hirokazu

Thanx in advance.

My completely unsubstantiated assumption is that all models will have 16GB built-in flash storage with the cheapest having an empty HDD bay. I don't know how you would choose between the hard drive and the internal flash if that's true though.

Another possibility is that the 16GB model has a 16GB SSD instead of a hard drive.

Top Bottom