• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Model (CECH-4000) Registered on FCC (Jeff_Rigby alert)

A mate of mine who works at SCEE Liverpool mentioned a couple of months ago a "new PS3 chassis" is coming. He wouldn't say any more than that due to NDA's and the like.

What a "new chassis" is I don't know. It could be just a minor revision like we've seen over the last few years; it could be what jeff is talking about?

I've asked my other mate who also works there (in FPQA) but he doesn't know anything as his dept only deal with games.

I guess this what my mate was talking about then... I doubt he'll be able to give me any more info though. I'll give him a holla and see if he can let slip any information. Probably can't due to NDA's however.

KageMaru

Some on this board like to give Jeff grief, but the guy does his research and his educated guesses are just that. Well educated guesses.

Jeff seems to get proven right more then he is proven wrong.

None of this is how it seems and this isn't the prediction Jeff made anyways. According to him there is yet another ps3 (and 360) coming this year with new hardware.

Elios83

If you look closer at my pic you can clearly see it's just a portion of another image coming from the left that just happens to overlap the line.

Yeah it's possible that it's just a little mistake in the cad design :p
Or maybe not, I wouldn't be suprised if there was an eject slider for the BRD in any case.

None of this is how it seems and this isn't the prediction Jeff made anyways. According to him there is yet another ps3 (and 360) coming this year with new hardware.

Yeah it's definetly the PS3.5 jeff was talking about :p Microsoft will announce its own Xbox revision using the same hardware too (LOL).

FN417.jpg

PS3 super slim and 361 to share same chipset am I rite
That's not certain. Sales to get rid of older PS3s with a new cheaper version coming is to be expected. Series model # changed from 3000 to 4000 does indicate significant changes but we can't confirm it has a HDMI pass-thru and low power modes or has Kinect like motion detection.

Wireless N is troubling and shoots a small hole in my speculation, probably means not everything is in the SOC like in handhelds. IF it doesn't have low power modes it will probably limit it's life as within 2 years it won't be able to be sold in California and other countries.

Looking forward to more leaks.

Sixaxis are running a story that there is a possibility the new system will have a top loading drive (Like PS2 Slimline) and a different type of storage.

Latest firmware changes...
Something something "Eject Disc" being changed to "Remove Disc"
Something something "Disc Drive Storage" being changes to "System Storage"

Sixaxis are running a story that there is a possibility the new system will have a top loading drive (Like PS2 Slimline) and a different type of storage.

Would be interesting if they went with 64gb flash stoarge that can not be changed by the end user.

Replacing the HDDs with some other form of storage would probably provide reasonable cost reduction considering the effect of the Thai floods.

Elios83

Would be interesting if they went with 64gb flash stoarge that can not be changed by the end user.

I think it's definetly a possibility, gettind rid of the internal HDD and its bay in favour of flash memory directly on the motherboard.
They could change their policy to allow external USB HDD to be used for games and movies too (although they would need to be formatted in the proprietary PS3 file system of course).

Sorry for spoiling the fun but there wasn't any joke when I was writing my reply, GAF goes too fast to keep up with it :p

amar212

can't you put an SSD in there now?

Yes I can, but it is too expensive in plan to buy this one for gamingHQ and take my current Slim in the bedroom for sake of playing from bed.

Cheapest SSD I can find runs for 100 euro/120GB while this gets me brand new console for probable 200 euros.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Looking at the comparisons, is it possible that is is thiner rather than reducing the whole size of it down? of course they could also be using smaller feet, lol.

Good on jeff, even though he wouldn't stop about a PS3.5 and 361, lol.

To quote myself replying to Jeff the other day.
Sounds like they might do a PS3 slim slim to cut costs even more that can come with a price reduction, but a PS3.5 or 361 or whatever, seems like a silly choice just before you start a new generation that you have spent a lot of money on to bring new hardware and features just to offload some to the current gen.

It was totally believable that they would try to cut down yet again before going into a new generation, especially with how expensive the PS3 has been for them and in the run up to a next-gen launch they would want to get as many consoles out there as possible.

What the hell? So it's the same overall area as the current model?

Wii U size, or you fail Sony.
How much can they shrink it if it still has to include a hard disk drive and blu-ray player? WiiU does not have a HD drive.

badchoiceboobies said:
Sounds like they might do a PS3 slim slim to cut costs even more that can come with a price reduction, but a PS3.5 or 361 or whatever, seems like a silly choice just before you start a new generation that you have spent a lot of money on to bring new hardware and features just to offload some to the current gen.

I expected PS3 Firmware 4.0 to be when the full browser with HTML5 <video> support and HTML5 apps on the XMB with Browser always loaded was released. That didn't happen and we are at 4.20.

We now know HTML5 <video>, WebMAF (HTML5 apps with Mozilla IPC standards) and Playready DRM will be in the PS3 this year (probably after Sept) and that's what's needed to support my speculation as well as XTV (we will still likely be in a 4.X firmware version number). I didn't predict a HDMI pass-thru until after I discovered the Microsoft powerpoint and that Microsoft was going to support it on a refreshed Xbox 360 (Xbox 361), the Xbox 720 and they were predicting Sony would do it on the PS4 (Google TV).

Is it a stretch to expect HDMI pass-thru on a Refreshed PS3 with a changed VERSION Model number to 4000 series. Further a HDMI pass-thru box with out a hard disk but including about 20 gigs or so of SSD flash for a Solid state drive is a logical choice for a XTV box not a game console. 4000 series = Firmware 4.X and XTV support maybe HDMI pass-thru. One of the cites is calling the new PS3 a PS3 WebMAF device. What does that mean? XTV box, second use for the SOC?

PS3.5=Xbox361 SOC I speculated because both refreshes would be significant and if using AMD hardware nearly identical except for SPUs and we have microsoft-sony.com plus economy of scale and sharing of design costs.

The digitimes rumor has to be entirely false or if partially true about a very attractive refreshed PS3 with motion controls. Just reducing the price by eliminating a front loading blu-ray drive or adding a model without Hard Disk is not going to sell 20 million in the first year.

Any news that could be a Xbox 361 besides the 4 cites I have provided (4 indicate a new refresh is coming and 2 that it has new hardware).

Utako

Banned
Looking at the comparisons, is it possible that is is thiner rather than reducing the whole size of it down? of course they could also be using smaller feet, lol.

Good on jeff, even though he wouldn't stop about a PS3.5 and 361, lol.

To quote myself replying to Jeff the other day.

It was totally believable that they would try to cut down yet again before going into a new generation, especially with how expensive the PS3 has been for them and in the run up to a next-gen launch they would want to get as many consoles out there as possible.
It's really wrong to encourage jeff_rigby's psychoses. The dude is sick.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I wish I knew which topic that post was where someone was quoting me asking that if there is going to be another PS3 model, where are the leaks?
I guess this would be proof, lol.

onQ123

why was anyone expecting Wireless-N? the point is to make it cheaper you are lucky they didn't take Wifi away lol.

Top Bottom