• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Model (CECH-4000) Registered on FCC (Jeff_Rigby alert)

Shame there isn't one for sale in china like there was with the slim, I fancy seeing this :) Or, a nice selection of factory shots :p

I am guessing flip top drive, external PSU and slimmed down height/weight/footprint. A rear USB would be nice.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
its obviously not ISP related because otherwise this would not work, its definitely on the Sony side so for all intents and purposes, PSN is throttling us.

but why it happens and what causes it is unknown

It's odd, I just tried it and it seems to be working, but it makes no sense. If PSN was throttling, it should still be slow. Hmm. All I know is that yesterday i could slowly count to ten before the download ticked up 1MB, now it's doing about 2MB per second. It does seem to slow down PSN store access though, maybe adds latency?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You are missing the point, the end goal is not to drive down prices but to sell more PS3s into peoples homes so they buy more games and use PSN services. If that can be done with a cheaper PS3 then cheap it will be but Roku and Apple TV boxes are under $100. What they can't do is offer local accurate Voice or gesture recognition or features that require the POWER in a game console compared to a thin client.

Wait till you see what can be done with WebGL, HTML5 apps and Augmented Reality on the/from the XMB.

It's a PS3, why do you need HTML5 apps? Apps like Netflix and iplayer are already pretty lightweight and look great.

Yeah, here it is a patent for a Sony depth camera. What's telling is the date it was filed (Oct 26, 2011) and the date OpenMax IL 1.2 with camera support was announced to Members (Nov 2011) at the Soul Korea meeting.

Oct 26, 2011 Sony Depth Camera patent filed
Nov 7, 2011 OpenMax IL 1.2 announced to professionals with APIs
Feb 16, 2012 Sony Depth Camera patent published
Feb 14, 2012 Khronos publishes to public OpenMax IL 1.2

My opinion is Sony plans to use this depth camera with the NEW PS3. Filed the patent as soon as standards were in place and published the patent as soon as standards were published to the public. Why, for gesture recognition and casual control of the browser as well as better Augmented Reality.

if they have such camera in development, I dont think they will introduce it with the new PS3. This late in the gen, introducing a new peripheral makes no sense. Wait 1 more year and introduce it with PS4 seems more plausible.

onQ123

Not going to happen, Sony aren't going to make a PS3 model they are trying to reduce in cost more expensive to produce by adding more hardware to it.

Why?
I still don't see the point, it isn't going to sell, they aren't going to bundle more with a PS3 when they are trying to drive down costs.

And the biggest point, why bother when they sell it from the get go with a PS4 and have it with every console instead of trying to sell it to PS3 owners that aren't going to want or need it at this point.

Maybe not right now but down the line when things become even cheaper something like a PS3 with a packed in Depth Camera could happen.

thanks to PSN PS3 can last for years to come even after the new consoles are out & it pack enough power that it should be good enough for about 5 more years especially for kids & casual gamers so there is no telling what we will see over the next few years.

we might even see PS3 made into a SOC & just tossed into Sony Blu-ray players & Media Boxes depending on how cheap they can get the SOC but I'm sure they are not going to even go there now because they don't need the hardware & can just let people play games on their new Blu-ray players from the cloud.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Yeah, here it is a patent for a Sony depth camera. What's telling is the date it was filed (Oct 26, 2011) and the date OpenMax IL 1.2 with camera support was announced to Members (Nov 2011) at the Soul Korea meeting.

Oct 26, 2011 Sony Depth Camera patent filed
Nov 7, 2011 OpenMax IL 1.2 announced to professionals with APIs
Feb 16, 2012 Sony Depth Camera patent published
Feb 14, 2012 Khronos publishes to public OpenMax IL 1.2

My opinion is Sony plans to use this depth camera with the NEW PS3. Filed the patent as soon as standards were in place and published the patent as soon as standards were published to the public. Why, for gesture recognition and casual control of the browser as well as better Augmented Reality.

This is getting conspiracy theory like. A software patent and a mobile image rendering standard indicates they are releasing a new piece of hardware for the PS3? If something were in the pipe for the next year you would have something much more substantial. Leaks of the boxes, the camera, Sony SDK, developer comments, lots of chatter.

Sony is doing classic price reduction for the PS3. Get cost down as much as possible for future $199, $149, etc. price points. They want to milk the PS3 for as long as possible (just like the PS2) to get back their investment. It is simple business.

iNvid02

It's odd, I just tried it and it seems to be working, but it makes no sense. If PSN was throttling, it should still be slow. Hmm. All I know is that yesterday i could slowly count to ten before the download ticked up 1MB, now it's doing about 2MB per second. It does seem to slow down PSN store access though, maybe adds latency?

yeah it will bump latency a lot, i only use it when i have several big downloads queued up on PSN and switch it off for browsing the store or playing a game

Rolf NB

Indeed, and it would pay longer term dividends as costs can be reduced with flash where HDD costs always stay at a base level and storage increases.
You get at most a 64GB SSD for the price of current entry level 320GB 2.5" HDDs. Don't see a reason why the relation would be much different for bulk customers.

It's true that magnetic storage scaling has slowed down a lot in recent years, but silicon process scaling isn't what it used to be either. I wouldn't bet on Flash to outscale magnetic anytime soon.

Utako

Banned
I just want to be able to comfortably fit my PS3 and Wii on the same shelf of my stereo rack.

It sucks that the suspected announcement date is 6 weeks away.

Rolf NB

I'm assuming he means using an external PSU like the 360
Same here. Question is, why? The latest/last PStwo has an internal PSU. Every piece of CE equipment ever, ranging from 5W kitchen radios to 2000W amp blocks, has an internal PSU. So what could possibly be the point?

DBT85

I cannot see this being anything other than a size shirk like the Slim was. There is no point releasing a Kinect like system when they can do it in 12/18 months with the PS4 and it'll actually sell.

No PS2 BC, No fancy camera, No SSD, just smaller chips, same/larger HDD.

FLEABttn

Banned
Same here. Question is, why? The latest/last PStwo has an internal PSU. Every piece of CE equipment ever, ranging from 5W kitchen radios to 2000W amp blocks, has an internal PSU. So what could possibly be the point?

You reduce heat in a heat sensitive area and decrease the size of the console itself by having an external PSU. Decreased heat can mean a cheaper cooling system is required.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!

True, but it went back internal in 2007 :p

Another refinement of the slimline PlayStation 2 (SCPH-90000) was released in Japan on November 22, 2007.[32] As well some cosmetic changes, the design of the hardware has been overhauled, incorporating the power supply into the console itself; this also reduces the total weight to 720 grams (25 oz). SCPH-90000 series consoles manufactured after the third quarter of 2008 (indicated by date code 8C) incorporate a revised BIOS, which disables an exploit present in all older models that allowed homebrew applications to be launched from a memory card.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ps2_slim#The_slimline_case_designs

Deadbeat

Banned
PS2 slim had multiple revisions leading to an internal power supply.

right in wikipedia:
Another refinement of the slimline PlayStation 2 (SCPH-90000) was released in Japan on November 22, 2007.[32] As well some cosmetic changes, the design of the hardware has been overhauled, incorporating the power supply into the console itself; this also reduces the total weight to 720 grams (25 oz). SCPH-90000 series consoles manufactured after the third quarter of 2008 (indicated by date code 8C) incorporate a revised BIOS, which disables an exploit present in all older models that allowed homebrew applications to be launched from a memory card.

edit: Hey you edited your post after I edited mine. Thats cheating.

I didn't realise until now that the thing in Kaz Hirai's commemorative PS3 is an exposed red PSU. How curious.

csv48.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That's a big PSU. Even with a die shrink etc, PS3 will still need a decent sized one, and moving it out would save a lot of space.

I'm surprised they were internal with PS3, perhaps the CE history of Sony makes it a natural choice for them. I wouldn't be surprised to see it external on PS4 though, it'd give them more leeway thermally in the console

madmackem

I really hope it comes with a 320 gig hdd, im ready to get a new ps3 this slim is noisey and i can hand it down to my mother as a bluray player.

kaskade

Maybe I'll upgrade from my original 60gb PS3. I could use some more HDD space. It would be pretty awesome if they dropped it to 199.

Rolf NB

You reduce heat in a heat sensitive area and decrease the size of the console itself by having an external PSU. Decreased heat can mean a cheaper cooling system is required.
If the PSU is hot enough to require cooling you end up with a flow chart I can convert to text in an almost comprehensible fashion, thusly:
1)put the PSU where you already have a cooling system: internally. Run your main fan 5% faster or whatever.
2)make the PSU external, leading to sub-choices
2a)add a second cooling system just for the PSU
or
2b)don't bother and let eventually fry itself

The logic of the matter is, especially if your PSU is hot enough to worry about its cooling, it doesn't make sense to externalize it. And if it isn't, it still doesn't make sense to externalize it. It goes without saying that any externally attached device needs its own shell, adding further material costs, even if cooling is of no concern.

And who gives a fuck if the 'main' device is 3% smaller; the package you ship always includes the PSU, hence it will be at least as big and at least as heavy and at least as expensive as before. Most likely more on all three counts.

Vertically integrated electronics manufacturers don't do this. There's nothing to gain.

You go external PSU because of either
1)you are just a system integrator and have no internal design and manufacturing capacity to roll your own for less, which makes buying separate off-the-shelf parts your easy way out by default.
Motivator: not heat, not component cost.

2)marketing/middle management absolutely demands that your form factor be exactly three DVD cases stacked on top of each other, and you've completely run out of ideas on how to achieve that.

3)you have a warehouse full of them waiting for a purpose, because you mismanaged a different product line.

Persona7

Banned
The latest model PS2 Slim with the internal PSU gets really hot. I prefer the older one with the external because it barely gets warm.

My PS3 Slim gets REALLY hot as well and starts cracking as it cools down.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If the PSU is hot enough to require cooling you end up with a flow chart I can convert to text in an almost comprehensible fashion, thusly:
1)put the PSU where you already have a cooling system: internally. Run your main fan 5% faster or whatever.
2)make the PSU external, leading to sub-choices
2a)add a second cooling system just for the PSU
or
2b)don't bother and let eventually fry itself

If its external, there is a level of passive cooling you can use that wouldn't be suitable for an internal design.

And it'd be much more than a 3% saving in space looking at the tear downs of the slim.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Ya like, at this point, releasing another ps3? Why?

They want to be selling them for another 5+ years and they don't want it to be >$200 then. The more PS3 hardware they sell, the more PS3 software and services they sell, which is where they money is.

That's a big PSU. Even with a die shrink etc, PS3 will still need a decent sized one, and moving it out would save a lot of space.

I'm surprised they were internal with PS3, perhaps the CE history of Sony makes it a natural choice for them. I wouldn't be surprised to see it external on PS4 though, it'd give them more leeway thermally in the console

I love how all Sony consoles have the power supply built in, especially the fat PS3, its only a little bigger then the original 360. Imagine how big the 360 would be with an internal spu?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I want the model with no optical drive.

You know what? The way Sony is going all digital with their portable platforms, if they did it with PS3, that would be even better for me.

This is not it though, I'm sure.

I wish there was a way to pay for PSN+ and, somehow, be allowed to get those games. I've lost countless games because I don't have a PS3 (and because I don't pay pr PSN+, of course)... :(

About 2.5 years ago I bought a used PS3 that had software BC, and I continually live in terror of the day that it breaks down. Well, terror may be a little strong, but it doesn't exactly have a 100% track record, so I'm just waiting on the other shoe to drop. If I'm going to buy a new PS3 this late in the generation, I'd prefer it to be as new and as tiny as possible.

Part of me wants it to be an external PSU, but then I think about the times I occasionally move my PS3 between TVs, and having it just use that typical 3-prong connector makes that SO easy, whereas an external power supply would make that a complete pain in the ass.

DasRaven

My money is ready! I've been mulling a Phat to Slim move for a year now. Decided to wait for the expected price drop @ E3/Gamescom and now it looks as though I'll be rewarded. Just please have a rear USB slot or two so I can move the PSEye to the back.

And regarding internal HDD or not. I'd rather they kept it and updated the SATA revision to at least SATA2.

You know what? The way Sony is going all digital with their portable platforms, if they did it with PS3, that would be even better for me.

This is not it though, I'm sure.

I wish there was a way to pay for PSN+ and, somehow, be allowed to get those games. I've lost countless games because I don't have a PS3 (and because I don't pay pr PSN+, of course)... :(

digital/cloud based mini PS3 for $99 will be the hotness.

I could see this happening after PS4 is out.

It would be a very intelligent way to take away used game and console sales away from Gamestop as well as sales from secondary retailers like ebay that will be selling PS3 software that Sony won't see a dime of revenue from.

spwolf

it is not that complicated - PSN uses S3 server farms and for some people ones that are closest to them are slow... so what proxy does is forces you to go to different server farm.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
it is not that complicated - PSN uses S3 server farms and for some people ones that are closest to them are slow... so what proxy does is forces you to go to different server farm.

But the proxy is YOUR COMPUTER. Same IP, same routing, same everything.

Top Bottom