• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Model (CECH-4000) Registered on FCC (Jeff_Rigby alert)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
it is not that complicated - PSN uses S3 server farms and for some people ones that are closest to them are slow... so what proxy does is forces you to go to different server farm.

It's still coming from my same external IP address, I'm not using an external proxy. Anyway, that is now also slow, I just think PSN is a bit shitty at the moment.

Is
20120705_01.png

smaller than...

20120705_03.png

? (I'm confused)

Elios83

If we take into consideration the rubber feet, which are technically all of the same size, we get this nice graphic:

Which is very circumstantial. But it's the best answer we have so far to your inquiry.

Edit: and that answer is "we don't know".

That is based on the idea that the rubber feet are the same size of the older models, which could be very misleading.
The base with the rubber feet could be as small as the Pstwo one. Then there is an other layer on the top.

CLEEK

You know.. technically, that doesn't make any sense, unless the PS3 actively throttles itself's connection unless it's using a proxy.

To your ISP, it doesn't matter if the connection comes from the PS3 or your Computer (through a proxy). It's using the same ports and has the same headers, so if it was some sort of Traffic Shaping performed by the ISP, it would happen regardless, as the data is not being encrypted through the proxy.

The PSN servers wouldn't know the difference either: It's just a package arriving at them from your IP address requesting data at the proper port.

The only part of that equation that's different is the PS3 itself, unless there's some different formation in the packets when the PS3 sends them through a proxy, which I doubt there is, as the argument here is that Sony itself throttles the downloads. Then why would they program the PS3 to change the packet headers?

It doesn't make sense to me either.

My experience with PSN speeds seems to be vastly different from most. I've lives in a couple of different places in my PS3 owning years. The first was literally next door to the local exchange, so I was getting close to the full 24Mbps ADSL2+ speed. While PSN downloads were never at this rate, they were certainly not slow either.

For the last year, I've been stuck with crappy speeds due to the shonky wiring in my current place. My ADSL modem syncs at 4Mbps, so I'm lucky to get 400Kbps download speeds. PSN download seem to at this rate, so do appear to max out my rubbish connection.

I've always felt that bad PSN speeds were caused by ISPs, not Sony.

If the Privoxy method works - and I'm not doubting those who says it does - it could be because the proxy is hiding/modifying certain headers. I'd imagine ISPs would shape traffic on PSN specific ports, but they could be just looking at specific HTTP headers (user agent is one possibility) that would identify the device as being a Playstation. The proxy might be hiding/changing these headers.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I just bought a 160GB Slim a month ago =/

Oh Wells, there's always Black Friday and a Holiday Bundle to be had =D

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
If we take into consideration the rubber feet, which are technically all of the same size, we get this nice graphic:

I don't think the graphic is to any scale, it is just to indicate the placement of the label. We will have to wait for the specs to get dimensions and weight.

spwolf

It's still coming from my same external IP address, I'm not using an external proxy. Anyway, that is now also slow, I just think PSN is a bit shitty at the moment.

are we sure proxy isnt translating those servers automatically? I never had problems with PSN speeds, but I am in Europe... it maxed out my 20Mbs cable and it is maxing out my poor 4Mbs DSL right now.

All PS3 (and PS2) models are hideous, anyway, so...imagine if this one actually looks decent? Yeah, I dont think so either. I hope it doesn't actually look worse/cheaper than the slim...

Will be kind of embarrassing if Sony gets in two price drops before MS does one. My theory is MS is waiting til the Oban/SOC model in 2013.

See, MS now looks at Xbox as a profit center, that's why they dont cut. Pathetic. I think if Sony did another cut (which isn't guaranteed with a redesign), they would actually be forced too though. But hell I could be wrong.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Whatever happens, I hope this doesn't mean another rebranding, it is annoying enough having multiple PS3 game case, I think another logo and case on my shelves would drive me crazy, lol.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Sup buddy, you and me both. I don't even like buying GOTY editions of games.

I can deal with GOTY editions as ugly as they are, but have you seen the EU "Platinum" edition.
Ergh, makes my eyes bleed.

How ugly is that, one of the worst offenders, two ugly ass platinum covers on an ugly ass platinum cover.
It is like Sony is purposely punishing people for buying games late, one reason why I will go out of my way and pay extra for a normal version.

Darknight

Whatever happens, I hope this doesn't mean another rebranding, it is annoying enough having multiple PS3 game case, I think another logo and case on my shelves would drive me crazy, lol.

That only happened BC the spidey font, old PS3 had to get a reboot. Slim PS3 and current marketing are good so its gonna be kept.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
That only happened BC the spidey font, old PS3 had to get a reboot. Slim PS3 and current marketing are good so its gonna be kept.

I don't actually think it will happen, but I felt it was a good chance to moan about the messing with case covers, lol.

I actually clicked on the links in the OP and didn't see any mention of no wireless N, can someone point me to it?

Not sure but it look like Sony is thinking about taking another shot at the PSPgo but with slide out buttons.

PORTABLE ELECTRONIC DEVICE

patents

patents

Xperia Play 2 with PSVita OS system underneath ICS for other goodies.

So, November of next year.

PS4 - $399

PS3 - $199

Is such a thing possible?

I would prefer a $500 PS4 as long as it's a major jump from current generation. And then have PS3 for U$169 and have it streaming PS4 games over the gaikai network for people that don't mind worse graphics, stutter, audio issues, etc.

I would prefer a $500 PS4 with super powerful hardware as well, but I think Sony is really frightened about pricing it too high given what happened to the PS3.

Will be kind of embarrassing if Sony gets in two price drops before MS does one.

You mean three? It's already at two, Microsoft's last price drop was back in 2008. PS3 slim launched in 2009 at $299, then it was reduced to $249 last year. Xbox 360 is still at the two price points established way back in 2008, although more value was added with the S revision.

Striek

I hope if they're going to bother with another revision its significantly smaller. Otherwise I don't really see the point. Unless its to cut costs enough to allow a price drop.

You mean three? It's already at two, Microsoft's last price drop was back in 2008. PS3 slim launched in 2009 at $299, then it was reduced to $249 last year. Xbox 360 is still at the two price points established way back in 2008, although more value was added with the S revision.
The elite (now the S 250gb) had a $100 price drop in 2009 in America to match the Slim when it was announced.

It had a general price drop outside America (in EU/AU) in 2009 as well to be cheaper than the slim and I'm not sure if it had another official one since but its definitely gotten cheaper here. MS have done a fantastic job of maintaining value in America though.

Pingoreous

This will be the last revision. Like the PS2 all they need to do is remove the power supply from inside the system and make it a power brick.

The elite (now the S 250gb) had a $100 price drop in 2009 in America to match the Slim when it was announced.

I remember the Premium got a clear out drop because it was discontinued, don't know about the Elite (EDIT: now I see it was the same deal for the Elite, too), but the regular prices (and most importantly, the entry price) remained the same.

It did get a price drop here in Europe to match the PS3, however.

Utako

Banned
I would prefer a $500 PS4 with super powerful hardware as well, but I think Sony is really frightened about pricing it too high given what happened to the PS3.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the cheapest console has won every. single. generation.

And yet engineers get greedy. I don't blame them.

Top Bottom