• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nex Machina |OT| Insert 80 Quarters

You know that Housemarque and Eugene Jarvis met on the Assault Android cactus stand ?? true story ..I think it was at PAX

they probably were thinking out loud "i want to make a new game"

5DQ7QIY.gif

Just to add to what he said (and correct me if my math is wrong lol), for humans, I think you get 1000 points for each one. After your 10th human (and if you still have a chain going) each one you pick up after that is 10,000 points. That's why you need to stick with the combo if you want higher scores.

If your multiplier is at 20x and your combo is still going, you're getting 200,000 points added to your score for each human!
Ah awesome

I didn't know the intricacies of the system, only how to maintain combo

Tried my hand at Redline Tech Forest, attained rank #7 on the leaderboards. Primarily wielded the Powershot.

This is the Arena mission type where virtually everything about the game is considerably faster - the closed beta allegedly even had a SUPER Redline as a cherry on top - and what a stressful experience it is. I had already sufficiently familiarized myself with a general routing strategy for this world at the default game speed, but even with that knowledge in the back of my head it still took me a relatively long time to get accustomed to this 'simple' change, to the point I was reluctant to be aggressive with Dash Explosion at times. Just cutthroat all-around, since losing focus for merely a second or two can have a dire impact on your preferred rhythm / flow. Quite the adrenaline rush if everything does align, though!

And if you like this kind of twinstickers, pls also try assault android cactus....it is on ps4 and PC.[/URL]
Seconding this recommendation. This trailer does a better job highlighting the game's features for anyone still on the fence.

Got this as a gift and I'm super hyped about it! I'm relatively trash at twin stick shooters (I can't aim...) but maybe this is my chance to get better!

How's the local multiplayer? Can you play through the campaign / main levels in coop?
Correct.

So, my first instinct is to just rescue humans as fast as possible and then deal with enemies. However:

There is a human multiplier, where every time you pick up a human, a bar ticks down until you lose your multiplier. So you basically want to pick up one at a time and hold off as long as possible before collecting the next human. As soon as your bar gets yellow/flashing and close to a sliver you grab the next

The goal is to basically drag out the human combo as long as possible for entire levels and carry them over to the next. As your combo stacks higher it raises your score by a considerable amount

From world 1 I'd recommended trying to start stacking humans from level 3. Grab it right at the end and carry it forward from there

If you're confused just watch a replay of some high scores on the leaderboard and you'll see what I mean.

It's a much harder way to play than just blasting through levels, but it's worth it if you care about scores
Just to add to what he said (and correct me if my math is wrong lol), for humans, I think you get 1000 points for each one. After your 10th human (and if you still have a chain going) each one you pick up after that is 10,000 points. That's why you need to stick with the combo if you want higher scores.

If your multiplier is at 20x and your combo is still going, you're getting 200,000 points added to your score for each human!
To add to this for those wondering, you're not necessarily restricted by the timer either when attempting to squeeze as many points out of a run as possible. Each floor / level needs to be looked at on a case-by-case basis with regards to ideal pacing: sometimes you actively do want to stretch it out as far as you can, whereas elsewhere it might not be a mistake to blaze right through the survivors. The reason for this doesn't have anything to do with the human chain per se, but the final score tally does keep track of overall time prior to calculating the multiplier bonus. Big points to be had in other words if you manage to optimize gathering humans and eliminating enemies simultaneously!

DarkJC

Apologies if this discussion has already been hashed out in the thread, I haven't read everything:

My first experience with this game was co-op with a friend, and I came away with the impression that Housemarque really didn't put much focus on the co-op experience at all.

1. Player characters aren't visible enough. This isn't an issue in single player (or when one player dies in co-op) because the camera keeps the character in the center of the screen at all times. You have hints from the camera alone about where you are. In co-op this goes out the window and it's super easy to lose your position with the tons of effects, things exploding, green arrows pointing at all the humans etc. etc.

2. The player 2 character shoots pink projectiles, just like every other enemy in the game. WHY? It doesn't seem like this can be changed either, but I didn't put much effort into looking.

3. No respawn indication at all. During normal level play you get used to the fact that you will respawn once the other player finishes the area (or dies). But on bosses you just silently appear in the middle of the screen with no warning, and a very very short invincibility period. This gets frustrating when the screen is crowded with effects and you don't even notice you've respawned.

4. The 2nd player doesn't get any trophy credit at all, even though they're signed into an account.

I love the game, but it's disappointing that this clearly didn't get the attention it deserved, since playing co-op for 30 minutes is enough to pick up on most of these deficiencies.

JJShadow

I'm definitely getting better at this, this afternoon I did the Arenas for all 3 initial worlds and managed to end up in the top 10% for all of them, whereas before I was in the top 50-60% or so lol

Also, this Arena where everything moves faster is fucking nuts lol

5iu62.jpg

9x is your current multiplier. The circle around it fills in with blue and when completely full, your multiplier will increase.

The human icons are underneath.

Green means you saved them.

White means they are still on the level, waiting to be saved.

Red means "Human Lost" aka they were captured by the enemy.

Yellow means that particular human was a secret one that you found. They won't normally show up on this list until you find them.

Right underneath that is your Human Combo. This was explained a few posts ago but it's basically your current streak of how many humans you've saved. That bar ticks down and if it empties, you'll lost your combo. Not only do you have the bar as an indicator but the remaining humans on the level that you haven't saved yet have an indicator as well. So you have 2 things that can warn you if you're about to lose combo.

Let's say you have a combo going but the enemy captures a human. Don't think your combo streak is over. You can still capture another human and keep going. Sure, you'll have 1 less human and you miss out on points but if you have another remaining on the field, or you find a secret human, you're good.

Don't think you have to immediately capture all humans right away. Pick one up and wait until the bar drops to yellow, then pick up the next one. If you collect all of them at the same time, you run the risk of losing your combo since there's no one to save until the next level (again, unless there's a secret human).

During that end level dash, if you successfully press the button on time, you'll gain a little more time on that combo meter.

If you die, you lose your combo and your multiplier will go down by 2x or something like that.

Just in case people missed it, I describe what the icons on the bottom left corner mean:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=241373655

Just downloaded update 1.04 on PS4, about 800 MB, does anyone know what this is about?

Patch is live for PS4, Steam and GOG. It's a quick hotfix which fixes a crash.

v1.04 0032.005 - June 23rd, 2017
Hotfix 2

Engine
* Fixed crash with Master difficulty during the boss battle

Menus
* Tweaked credits

2. The player 2 character shoots pink projectiles, just like every other enemy in the game. WHY? It doesn't seem like this can be changed either, but I didn't put much effort into looking.
Odd decision indeed, but I assume you can change the color of player 2's gunfire. In the main menu there's a button for opening an in-game profile screen (Start on controller) and that's one of the purchasable choices. You need to play a bit of Arena for coins, however.

DarkJC

Odd decision indeed, but I assume you can change the color of player 2's gunfire. In the main menu there's a button for opening an in-game profile screen (Start on controller) and that's one of the purchasable choices. You need to play a bit of Arena for coins, however.

Yeah, it's possible this would solve it. I'll try once I've unlocked some of the other colours.

Wozman23

Made it to the level 5 boss in Veteran without much trouble, but died when he was literally one hit away from death. Couldn't get back on my feet with no abilities and burned through all 10 continues without even putting a dent in him.

It really feels like you have to 1CC all the higher difficulties, because dying and being stripped of your full arsenal really puts you at a disadvantage, especially if it happens at a boss battle.

MrS

Banned
Made it to the level 5 boss in Veteran without much trouble, but died when he was literally one hit away from death. Couldn't get back on my feet with no abilities and burned through all 10 continues without even putting a dent in him.

It really feels like you have to 1CC all the higher difficulties, because dying and being stripped of your full arsenal really puts you at a disadvantage, especially if it happens at a boss battle.
I feel the exact same way. Got to Architect on vet and picked up a fucking sword in error which deemed the whole run a bust.

Dinjoralo

Sword is definitely the worst weapon available. The only saving grace is that it can clear away bullets in a pinch.

But my favorite has to be somewhere between the Powershot and the Laser. They're both just so good.

Neverwas

All I knew about this was it was a House Marquee title. Robotron happens to be one of my all time favorite games, so this was a pleasant surprise.

PepperedHam

Sword is definitely the worst weapon available. The only saving grace is that it can clear away bullets in a pinch.

But my favorite has to be somewhere between the Powershot and the Laser. They're both just so good.
Agreed.

The Powershot is so satisfying to use on a large line of enemies, the voxels popping everywhere gives me that Dynasty Warriors high.

Jaroof

Made it to #82 on Normal difficulty tonight. Movin' up! That's a pretty good leap from #476, which I had when I last played two days ago.

Apologies if this discussion has already been hashed out in the thread, I haven't read everything:

My first experience with this game was co-op with a friend, and I came away with the impression that Housemarque really didn't put much focus on the co-op experience at all.

1. Player characters aren't visible enough. This isn't an issue in single player (or when one player dies in co-op) because the camera keeps the character in the center of the screen at all times. You have hints from the camera alone about where you are. In co-op this goes out the window and it's super easy to lose your position with the tons of effects, things exploding, green arrows pointing at all the humans etc. etc.

Enter the Gungeon had the same issue, really. Bit of a bummer. Are there any good examples of top-down shoot 'em up games that make good usage of camera during coop?

It'd be nice if a page was taken from Assault Android Cactus' book for the sword sub-weapon. To illustrate:

bkznuj.gif
exhdpl.gif

Liquorice carries a gun with an unusually slow fire rate and her Vorpal Blade special attack is tied to a meter-based cooldown. You'd think she'd struggle in a game similar to Nex Machina, where levels also don't shy away from swarming you with raw enemy numbers and where beefy bosses also summon bullet hell-esque shenanigans, but that's not the case in either scenario. She can zip around for minimal damage (potent enough against fodder) or slice off large chunks of boss health depending on how long you're willing to charge it. The latter keeps her temporarily immobilized and offers no invincibility frames, with the added risk of bosses potentially one-shotting you with their automatic melee pattern when approaching too closely. Not suggesting Housemarque should copy the above 1:1, but it'd make for an interesting niche if it similarly played around with your mobility in a more meaningful way to compensate for its short range and low utility. And if charging ends up being too impractical for higher difficulties, maybe have the act of deflecting projectiles power up the sword's next strike instead to throw players a bone for boss fights? Randomly spitballing here, because as it stands the sword's general purpose overlaps with those from other weapons, without having a distinct functional advantage of its own.

Agreed.

The Powershot is so satisfying to use on a large line of enemies, the voxels popping everywhere gives me that Dynasty Warriors high.
Definitely. What's cool about the Powershot is that it unleashes a small explosive radius per shot that helps cover all other angles when enemies encroach on you:

fntcda.gif

Real convenient in a pinch! Bonus points for adding an extra layer re: efficient positioning too.

So is there just not Xbox one controller support in this? Picked up cuz of steam sale, and thought as something that looked like a twin stick shooter it would for sure have controller support.

Is that not the case?

epmode

So is there just not Xbox one controller support in this? Picked up cuz of steam sale, and thought as something that looked like a twin stick shooter it would for sure have controller support.

Is that not the case?

It definitely has XInput controller support but it doesn't automatically enable the controller. Go into Options and change it.

Vitacat

Having some performance issues with this game.

Playing on PC with i7 6700k @ 4ghz, 1080 founders, 16gb RAM.

Settings are 4k, everything high, vsync on. I am not getting constant 60fps. Frequent drops even into the 40's at times.

Was playing on high difficulty where there is probably more on screen.

Any suggestions? Is my PC just not capable enough?

ALSO, anyone else have an issue with the mouse pointer not going away? I always have to manually move it offscreen when the game starts. This game still needs a bit of polish on PC I think.

Vitacat

weird, at 4K, I get like 90fps with a EVGA FTW 1080 and i7 3770k@4.1ghz

Solid 144fps at 1080p

Yeah, no idea why I'm not getting better. I seem to have to drop voxel quality to medium to get no frame drops. And that mouse pointer is annoying. It appears even in full screen, and I keep having to hide it.

So I see that Amazon now has digital codes that you can purchase for PS4.

Because of this, I want to gift an NA PS4 user a copy of the game!

If you have been on the fence about it, let me help push you over.

I'm in love with this game and to show my appreciation, I want to help get the word out.

First person to quote me gets it :)

Whether the code is for you or you have a friend that needs convincing...doesn't matter. All I ask is you give it a chance because it will be frustrating at times ;)

shmoglish

Okay I think I'm going to give in to the Nex Machina hype. It does look really fun.
It is. I am totally addicted. Plan was to play Nier the whole weekend. No I am trying to perfect Arenalevel 1 all day long.
@Hispanic

Nice idea and great gesture.

Vitacat

So I see that Amazon now has digital codes that you can purchase for PS4.

Because of this, I want to gift an NA PS4 user a copy of the game!

If you have been on the fence about it, let me help push you over.

I'm in love with this game and to show my appreciation, I want to help get the word out.

First person to quote me gets it :)

Whether the code is for you or you have a friend that needs convincing...doesn't matter. All I ask is you give it a chance because it will be frustrating at times ;)

Wouldn't mind trying it on PS4. :p But I guess it should go to someone who hasn't played it already.

Wouldn't mind trying it on PS4. :p

You got it. Will PM you now!

Just saw your edit. I'm assuming you've played the alpha/beta? Totally understand where you're coming from and I appreciate the honesty. I'm sure you would love to own the full game so I'll still go ahead and send you that copy :D

Vitacat

You got it. Will PM you now!

Just saw your edit. I'm assuming you've played the alpha/beta? Totally understand where you're coming from and I appreciate the honesty. I'm sure you would love to own the full game so I'll still go ahead and send you that copy :D

Thank you!!! Actually, no I wasn't a tester. I just already bought the PC version is what I meant. But I was just reading that PS4 version exclusively has HDR, so I'm excited to see how it looks now.

Once again, thank you!!!

Baleoce

Just got it on PC. Realised I had an extra 10% off for owning Outland already, on-top of the 20% it's currently at.

hawk2025

Thank you!!! Actually, no I wasn't a tester. I just already bought the PC version is what I meant. But I was just reading that PS4 version exclusively has HDR, so I'm excited to see how it looks now.

Once again, thank you!!!

Man...

I don't mean to get in the middle, but the copy was clearly meant for someone who doesn't own the full game, no?

Once again, thank you!!!

Man...

I don't mean to get in the middle, but the copy was clearly meant for someone who doesn't own the full game, no?

I guess it was my fault for assuming when he said he played it before, he meant alpha/beta tester. If he said he already had the PC version on his first post, I wouldn't have sent a copy. So apologies for this.

Sometime this weekend, I'll try to gift someone a copy who hasn't played AT ALL! Lol

Don't want to derail this thread so I'll get back on topic.

I joined the Discord channel and I asked if there were any plans for letting us choose our own modifiers. They said there were plans (like Halo's skull system) but they decided to just have Arena mode instead.

They are able to change modifiers in Arena mode at any time, it seems. No need for a patch or update.

Agent X

What's cool about the Powershot is that it unleashes a small explosive radius per shot that helps cover all other angles when enemies encroach on you:

fntcda.gif

Real convenient in a pinch! Bonus points for adding an extra layer re: efficient positioning too.

I never noticed this before, but that's very cool. Thanks for the tip!

On an unrelated note, I believe that the "Gold challenger" trophy on the PS4 version is glitched--in the player's favor. The requirements for earning the trophy are to earn 9 gold medals in the Arena. I just earned my first gold medal in the Arena, and was awarded the trophy. I've also noticed that a larger percentage of players have "Gold challenger" than those that have "Silver challenger", which you get by earning 6 silver medals in the Arena.

Having some performance issues with this game.

Playing on PC with i7 6700k @ 4ghz, 1080 founders, 16gb RAM.

Settings are 4k, everything high, vsync on. I am not getting constant 60fps. Frequent drops even into the 40's at times.

Was playing on high difficulty where there is probably more on screen.

Any suggestions? Is my PC just not capable enough?

ALSO, anyone else have an issue with the mouse pointer not going away? I always have to manually move it offscreen when the game starts. This game still needs a bit of polish on PC I think.

While my CPU is slightly under the recommended specs, I couldn't get the game to run smoothly at all, even on medium quality and 720p. On top of that, it slowed my PC down to a crawl even for a few minutes after closing the game. I ended up refunding it and getting it on PS4 instead. Perhaps it just doesn't like certain builds?

Cleared arcade on experienced today using about 20 credits, with probably 15 of those being on the supreme ai. I pretty much figured out that the smartbomb is the way to go for that battle. The feeling in this game of losing everthing and starting from scratch after a continue is agonizing.

I'm interested in a veteran play through but 10 credits....can I have 99 lol.

Overall I seriously love this game. It's classic housemarque goodness. And matterfall comes out in august??? We are not worthy.

Servbot24

Banned
Only two complaints I have about this game:
- all the visual noise sometimes makes it hard to see the hazards, and once in a while I'll die without seeing what hit me.
- the way you lose powerups basically means if you don't beat a boss on the first try all your remaining attempts will have to be made in your weakest state. I wish there were a way to earn powerups during the course of a boss battle like you can in normal stages.

Only two complaints I have about this game:
- all the visual noise sometimes makes it hard to see the hazards, and once in a while I'll die without seeing what hit me.
- the way you lose powerups basically means if you don't beat a boss on the first try all your remaining attempts will have to be made in your weakest state. I wish there were a way to earn powerups during the course of a boss battle like you can in normal stages.

I think having even just 2 enemies during the boss fight that can drop powerups would help a lot.

Vitacat

I guess it was my fault for assuming when he said he played it before, he meant alpha/beta tester. If he said he already had the PC version on his first post, I wouldn't have sent a copy. So apologies for this.

Sometime this weekend, I'll try to gift someone a copy who hasn't played AT ALL! Lol

Don't want to derail this thread so I'll get back on topic.

I joined the Discord channel and I asked if there were any plans for letting us choose our own modifiers. They said there were plans (like Halo's skull system) but they decided to just have Arena mode instead.

They are able to change modifiers in Arena mode at any time, it seems. No need for a patch or update.

Man, now I feel bad. I wasn't hiding anything, as I'd just been posting about the PC version before you posted.

Since I already had the PC version, I would not have purchased the PS4 version outright on my own, but it's pretty cool seeing it in HDR.

Can I maybe send you some of the cost back? I will PM.

The sword isn't entirely useless, I don't think. Obviously, it's nowhere on the same level as the rocket launcher or powershot, but I find it quite effective when I need to dash around the screen and take out enemies quickly, specifically the enemies that shoot tons of projectiles at you. And it seems like you can kill many enemies with just one swipe of your sword, I think? I need to experiment more with the sword.

And this game is absolutely nuts. There is just so much shit going on at once, it gets pretty crazy at times.

Wozman23

Looks like both my speed run feats and trophies (storm runner) are glitched. None of these are unlocking. Sucks.

It seems like I have a few glitched feats and a glitched Look Mom! trophy (unless I just don't understand the stipulations of the trophy).

I've scored well above 10 million points in Techno Forest multiple times, but that one won't unlock. Luckily there are enough feats that getting to 100 wasn't too bad.

Veteran is still a thorn in my side. The fifth boss, especially his last phase, takes a couple lives. I've got to the sixth boss once now, but only had one life left and no shield.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Just tested this out on PC.

GTX 1070 can push it to 4K and it looks insane.
My mate saw me playing this and he was sure i was just staring at some psychedelic music visualizer till he realized there was a controller under the blanket.

P.S And hope it hasnt already been explained but what does Distance Morphing actually do.
Looking on steam forums and havent found any mention of it.
Whether i have it on or off my GPU usage remains pretty much the same and i cant spot what exactly its doing on screen.

P.P.S I thought Assault Android Cactus was insane but this takes shit to another level.

P.P.P.S I found out about Assault Android and Nex Machina through NeoGAF (well done GAF)

Poppyseed

OK so this is megaton for me: I just discovered (apologies if it was mentioned before) that you can view replays of other peoples's runs in the game. OMG some people are amazing.

It's incredible that you can watch full-fidelity replays of this. Just... amazing. I kept saying NO WAY to some of the skills people have.

OK so this is megaton for me: I just discovered (apologies if it was mentioned before) that you can view replays of other peoples's runs in the game. OMG some people are amazing.

It's incredible that you can watch full-fidelity replays of this. Just... amazing. I kept saying NO WAY to some of the skills people have.

Yeah, as with all these replays of these elite players, they make it look so damn easy, but when you try to attempt what they do, it's like nope, I can't get anywhere close to what they do. LOL.

Top Bottom