• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 15 |OT| Winter Is Coming

cdyhybrid

Torrey Smith ‏@TorreySmithWR 1m
I hate y'all fantasy folks who are tweeting me about your fake team...y'all make me sick...Ravens win that's all that matters to me

Torrey Smith dropping truth bombs on Twitter.

I can't fault receivers for most of the drops. When you look at replays, Stafford throws high or too low beyond count. He has missed many screen passes to Bell and Bush this season with that stupid side arm shit, and down field he constantly throws too high downfield. Coaches/management's response? Just get him bigger receivers. The problem is that we're not going to find 6'5 RBs or slot receivers. The mechanics have to change, or he'll never be a consistent QB.

Suh/Fairley...I think they're very good, and not the problem. We're not getting sacks because we don't have consistent DE play. Willie Young had a great game tonight, but normally he's getting shut down. Ansah has had a promising rookie season but also doesn't get enough pressure. Suh and Fairley need help, I can't fault them.

I agree with the Singletary comparisons. Schwartz is out of his league, can't control team, and embarrasses himself every other game. We need a coach who can command the team and make some big changes. I'm not sure such a coach is out there right now. I just don't want to bring in another coordinator with no HC experience, or a college guy; Harbaugh came in and got the best out of an underachieving 49ers team, but I don't trust the Fords to find a Harbaugh type in the college ranks.

cashman

Banned
From deadspin

Justin Tucker speaks five languages, has hit 33 field goals in a row, just kept his team's season alive with a game-winning 61 yarder on the road (a career high), hit six field goals in a game (a Raven record), and then congratulated all fantasy teams who own him (as I made the championship with him outscoring Calvin) and then thanked his own fantasy team.

That man could fuck my girlfriend right now and I'd probably buy him dinner anyway.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
a Bears/Packers playoff spot Rodgers revenge game would be amazing

and they re-break his collarbone on the first drive again

Please tell me that Flynn is starting this week. I want to see his value rise when the Steelers make him look even better than Dallas did!

I can't fault receivers for most of the drops. When you look at replays, Stafford throws high or too low beyond count. He has missed many screen passes to Bell and Bush this season with that stupid side arm shit, and down field he constantly throws too high downfield. Coaches/management's response? Just get him bigger receivers. The problem is that we're not going to find 6'5 RBs or slot receivers. The mechanics have to change, or he'll never be a consistent QB.

Suh/Fairley...I think they're very good, and not the problem. We're not getting sacks because we don't have consistent DE play. Willie Young had a great game tonight, but normally he's getting shut down. Ansah has had a promising rookie season but also doesn't get enough pressure. Suh and Fairley need help, I can't fault them.

I agree with the Singletary comparisons. Schwartz is out of his league, can't control team, and embarrasses himself every other game. We need a coach who can command the team and make some big changes. I'm not sure such a coach is out there right now. I just don't want to bring in another coordinator with no HC experience, or a college guy; Harbaugh came in and got the best out of an underachieving 49ers team, but I don't trust the Fords to find a Harbaugh type in the college ranks.

Harbs could fix stafford

Greg

What do you think will happen?
I'd say Rodgers plays

if they were just being cautious before thinking the season looked like a bust, their win and the Lions loss this week just threw that out the window now that they're in control

if he was "close" last week, I'd say it's about damn time he plays already

Torrey Smith ‏@TorreySmithWR 1m
I hate y'all fantasy folks who are tweeting me about your fake team...y'all make me sick...Ravens win that's all that matters to me

Torrey Smith dropping truth bombs on Twitter.

Thankfully, I didn't need him to do shit for me. Was already winning by 80 points thanks for Jamaal Charles :D

Farooq

Banned
Harbs could fix stafford

Interesting, Romo was a sidearm thrower as well, he fixed it using this:

xLXQow5.jpg

It is called Gilman net. It was mentioned in the SI article on Romo:

Romo signed for $10,000. He sat fourth on the depth chart, set to battle with veteran Clint Stoerner, when he arrived the next week for rookie minicamp. After years of drilling, Romo had a stronger arm, a quicker release and a knack for extending plays that couldn't be taught. At the end of the last day of camp, assistant David Lee, fresh from the college ranks and charged with coaching the reserve QBs, told Parcells how much he liked Romo's pocket instincts-"like he's got eight sets of eyes in his head!"

"Oh, you like him, huh, Lee?" Parcells said. "I need to take you to a real game. He'll get six passes knocked down for every 72 snaps, the way he's releasing the football." Lee wanted to crawl into a hole. A few minutes later Romo asked what Parcells had said. Lee couldn't look him in the eye. The field emptied. The two men sat. Lee took a deep breath and told the QB what he'd heard, and it was the damnedest thing: Romo barely blinked. He didn't get defensive, try to sell his sidearm delivery or talk about his sky-high completion rate in college-66.4% one year! "Well," Romo asked, "do you know how to get my release higher?"

Lee knew, all right. He was a reformed sidearm slinger himself, at Vanderbilt in the 1970s, and he'd been revamping the motions of option runts forever. The process usually took a season or more-8,000 to 10,000 throws to shake out all the bad and instill new muscle memory. But Romo was not in need of some three-inch tweak. Lee figured he'd need to raise Romo's arm slot somewhere between 18 inches and two feet for him to survive in the NFL. He needed serious time.
"No," Romo said. "I want to do it now."

Lee tried refusing. Training camp was only three months off; start today and Romo risked losing his touch just as he was trying to cement a job. "Make the team first," Lee said. "We'll start right after."
They started the next day. While the other rookies scattered home, Romo stayed in Dallas, throwing in the summer broil. Every day he launched 80 to 85 passes over a contraption called a Gilman net, which Lee initially set low and gradually raised to 10 feet, nudging Romo's arm ever higher while forcing him to pull the ball down so the pass could clear both the charging defensive linemen and the ravening linebackers before descending hard to a receiver on the run. Afterward Romo would go back to his apartment, try to rest. Soon he'd be picking up a ball, spinning it off his fingertips, spiraling it into the couch cushions. Come 9 p.m., Lee would hear his phone buzz."Can you meet?" Romo would ask. "I need to get some more throws in."By the time the Cowboys opened training camp in late July, Lee figured Romo had thrown some 5,500 passes-and the coach was a nervous wreck. He had never cleared his little project with Parcells or Payton. While Quincy Carter and Chad Hutchinson battled for the starting job, Romo was lucky to get two reps during seven-on-seven drills. On each snap, Lee says, "I would be behind the huddle, praying to God that he didn't throw it over the lights."

He did fine. Romo stuck, leapfrogged Stoerner to QB3, kept working. Nights, he'd recruit any receiver he could to run routes for him in the team's indoor training bubble. "That's the biggest misperception of Tony: It looks easy, nonchalant, like he's just playing in the backyard," says 11th-year Dallas tight end Jason Witten. "But I've never seen somebody try to perfect their craft the way he has."

It is no surprise Stafford leads the league in balls being batted down. Parcells...Knows his shit.

I'd say Rodgers plays

if they were just being cautious before thinking the season looked like a bust, their win and the Lions loss this week just threw that out the window now that they're in control

if he was "close" last week, I'd say it's about damn time he plays already

Was he close though?

All the reports i've read sound like Rodgers desperately wants back in, but isn't listening to his body. Also, the Packers are being really coy about his recovery. Obviously it's to make their opponent guess who to gameplan for, but if Rodgers was truly ready I doubt they'd bother.

Crisco

Banned
That side arm shit with Stafford is weird. Its not like Rivers where that's just his normal throwing motion, it just sorta comes and goes randomly, like the QB version of the yips or something.

I'm cheering for you Pack to make the playoffs. Was too many damn Bears fans at the Browns game Sunday.

Lions pissed me off by losing tonight :(

Greg

Rodgers has to play. Playoffs are very much in reach.

But what was the deal with his collar? Not healing?
Was he close though?

All the reports i've read sound like Rodgers desperately wants back in, but isn't listening to his body. Also, the Packers are being really coy about his recovery. Obviously it's to make their opponent guess who to gameplan for, but if Rodgers was truly ready I doubt they'd bother.

edit: before Cowboys game
Aaron Rodgers is declared out for Sunday’s game. It’s been a difficult morning going through the conversation with Aaron and Dr. McKenzie. He’s very disappointed. He’s frustrated. He was not scanned this morning. He felt like he was ready to play. It’s in our best interests as a football team for Aaron not to play.
so yeah, I don't even know

that reads more cautious than anything, and now that they have control I don't know how that changes things

Was he close though?

I think they're prepared for him to not be ready -- it wouldn't be shocking if they held him out another week, tbh.

I still think he'll suit up this week.

Doorman

That side arm shit with Stafford is weird. Its not like Rivers where that's just his normal throwing motion, it just sorta comes and goes randomly, like the QB version of the yips or something.

They always describe it like "Stafford has a bunch of different arm slots that he'll use to deliver the ball around defenders and get it where it needs to be," but...a lot of the time that still isn't getting the ball "where it needs to be." They can play it off as versatility, but it's coming at the cost of consistency and, thus, accuracy, and that makes it a problem. They've acknowledged it but will not do anything about it.

I had a feeling the Cowboys would lose in the first half when Romo kept underthrowing passes to Dez Bryant. 'Boys should have been up by the score plus 4 touchdowns at halftime.

Greg

Well I sure as shit wouldn't want him to go out and break it again for no reason.
I don't want him to get get re-injured either, but 'risking' it wouldn't be for no reason unless they were out of the playoff chase. And, assuming they win the game, I'd say that week of game reps could be pretty damn important as far as shaking the rust off for week 17.

squicken

I wish we had Bengals fans here. I'd be interested to hear how they would want to escape the Dalton vortex. They have hit their limit with him, but always pick too high to get a "stud" QB. Meanwhile, all that talent everywhere on their roster gets older and more expensive

Trade up in a Julio Jones deal? Try to get Cutler if he is available? Just hope Dalton gets better?

Greg

I wish we had Bengals fans here. I'd be interested to hear how they would want to escape the Dalton vortex. They have hit their limit with him, but always pick too high to get a "stud" QB. Meanwhile, all that talent everywhere on their roster gets older and more expensive

Trade up in a Julio Jones deal? Try to get Cutler if he is available? Just hope Dalton gets better?
cJiDKNj.jpg

cdyhybrid

Rodgers was drafted 23rd or something. Wilson in the 3rd round. You can get a good QB, hard part is identifying the guy.

squicken

Rodgers was drafted 23rd or something. Wilson in the 3rd round. You can get a good QB, hard part is identifying the guy.

Rodgers had to ride the bench until the weight training and mechanics change kicked in. Russell is essentially a Brady tier miss by the league. And to be fair, Dalton is better than a few guys drafted ahead of him.

KaYotiX

Banned
Just saw the score...... :jnc Lions!

Oh I can't stop laughing. Had the North gifted to them on a silver platter and they said, fuck off we hate winning

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I don't want him to get get re-injured either, but 'risking' it wouldn't be for no reason unless they were out of the playoff chase. And, assuming they win the game, I'd say that week of game reps could be pretty damn important as far as shaking the rust off for week 17.

The question is whether the Packers would prefer to risk Rodgers just to go one and out in the playoffs, or if playing safe for next year is better.

Top Bottom