• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 15 |OT| Winter Is Coming

Doorman

So really, I would maybe, slightly agree with Kas that Mayhew isn't the real problem here (though I expect him to be terminated as well): Detroit has all the players it needs to be competitive and a constant playoff team except for that big-play DB. They just don't have someone who can use those tools to create something amazing ... only shit.

Mayhew's offseason this year has been a hell of a lot better than in years past, both with some of the draft picks themselves but especially with undrafted free agents and pickups from other teams. Jeremy Ross, Joe Fauria, Joique Bell, La'Adrian Waddle...Having total unknown names coming in and making positive impacts is a very good sign. It just sucks that some of the bigger names are falling short when they're supposed to be the true stars. This is especially true of Stafford, as well as Suh and Fairley. In the case of the latter two, it has as much to do with their reputation as it does actual play. The point is, whatever changed about this past season as far as bringing in talent seems to have made a difference, so I wouldn't be hugely upset if Mayhew was retained.

This coaching staff is beyond ridiculous though. Yes, they took the Lions from historically the worst team in the history of professional football into something sort of resembling a team, but this is year 5, there's been a ton of player turnover, and they still haven't found a way to build this into a coherent, consistent team. I liken the current Lions to the 49ers of a few years ago. They had talent, but underperformed and acted like knuckleheads far more often than they should. Singletary goes out, Harbaugh comes in, and within a year their team goes from "talented but underperforming" to one of the powerhouses of the NFC. The Lions have the players to get there, if they figured out how to play smarter. We need a coaching staff that can lock down on fundamental, physical play and turn our team strengths into league strengths.

Schwartz isn't going to do that.

Fantomex

Ray Lewis is such a homer. Dude keeps saying the Ravens are dangerous and that people better watch out. Did he get them knives as gifts this week or what?

Too Soon?

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Ray Lewis is such a homer. Dude keeps saying the Ravens are dangerous and that people better watch out. Did he get them knives as gifts this week or what?

Too Soon?
Ray would never get them knives because he wouldn't remember where they were placed.

squicken

He did a terrible job then because they called timeout with 10 seconds left on the play clock.

Yeah that doesn't wash. I thought he was doing that until he called timeout. I think he was trying to get DET to use a TO and was going to go for it, realized he had wasted too much time, and so kicked

squicken

Ray is right. Ravens can play defense, something none of the other AFC teams can do. Just need a few Flacco prayer balls and bullshit PI calls and they win

Is there a scenario where Baltimore, Miami, and Cincinnati make the playoffs, but New England does not?

Can we all agree this is the best possible scenario?

Is there a scenario where Baltimore, Miami, and Cincinnati make the playoffs, but New England does not?

if pats lose out and we win out we win afc east, after that I don't know what needs to happen but I'm sure it's possible since they haven't secured a spot yet

rokkerkory

It's official, teams with colors of silver and blue are such a big let down. The play calling, the coaching, the execution, wtf?

squicken

Did. Their defense has been trash for the last month and a half.

Alex Smith is carrying that team now. 5 touchdowns yesterday!
that only traveled 13 yards in the air, but still FIVE TOUCHDOWNS

Yep. Chiefs D is garbo now. Denver can't outscore BAL. Not with the noodle in the cold. If only Cincy had a real QB

Greg

just messing with the playoff machine, if those teams win out and the pats lose out, yes

I don't know scenarios in between, but it is possible

I would rather see Kansas City in the playoffs than Baltimore. At least KC is likeable.
Same here. Even with Ray gone I still get this thuggery vibe from the Ravens. KC hasn't won anything in ages, they got a coach who is easy to root for (to stick it to the eagles fans), Charles is the most electric player in the league, loyal fanbase. They're a likable bunch.

Same here. Even with Ray gone I still get this thuggery vibe from the Ravens. KC hasn't won anything in ages, they got a coach who is easy to root for (to stick it to the eagles fans), Charles is the most electric player in the league, loyal fanbase. They're a likable bunch.

How are Ravens fans not a likable bunch? They have me.

Haha, I was confused there xD

If the Donks get upset in Divisional, I can see the Chiefs making it.
Definitely want Denver to make it, but looking at the defense the past couple of weeks I'm slowly preparing myself now for the possibility for another letdown. The only other teams in the AFC I can muster any enthusiasm for is the Chiefs and Colts.

Ray is right. Ravens can play defense, something none of the other AFC teams can do. Just need a few Flacco prayer balls and bullshit PI calls and they win
Cincy can, but... Dalton.

Not sure what to think about the Chiefs D. Really depends if they can "turn it on" once the playoffs come.

BlindRage

I dunno, losing at home to the Bills with their playoff spot at stake seems pretty unlikely.

Yeah but they are decimated. I could see the bills getting just enough stops to pull one out and the refs not calling a pi in the endzone at the end and Brady crys all year about it

Top Bottom