• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 15 |OT| Winter Is Coming

So, let me think... It's like gambling, lol.

If the Bengals win next week, what result do I want?

Do I want the Patriots to win, eliminating Baltimore from the AFC North?
Or, do I want the Ravens to win, to set up a showdown that will result in a winner-gets-bye situation?

Go Pats. Don't trust the Bengals not to Bungle.

To think, if only Huber catches a long-snap, the Bengals probably win. Instead, a comedy of errors and dirty thuggery doom the Bengals to a flukey loss.

Patriots win brah.

Cheer for the Patriots win.

Don't want the embarrassment of losing at home to that goober.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
The only non-divisional teams the Lions have beat this year are the Browns, Washington and Cowboys. They can only beat the Browns and NFC Least.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
sadlions.gif

You didn't link the musical accompaniment!

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I know exactly what happened: harbaugh. you guys were 5-0, top of the world and steam rolling to a perfect season perhaps. then harbaugh crushed Schwartz' hand and indeed your entire franchise.

I feel bad but its a dog eat dog world brah. this collapse will be better for you in the long run!

That was the game that ended Jahvid Best's career.

Steve Young brought up the good point about the coaching staff trying to contain Stafford's slanging. On a 3rd and 1 we have a 5 receiver set running crossing routes which lead to a dropped pass and INT. But we run that all game. Why do you put that pressure on Stafford every single play? Why not run the ball?

Schwartz needs to go at this point, but Mayhew (our GM) should stay. Knowing the Lions they'll fire both.

njean777

I just hope that Baltimore doesn't get to the SB, fuck them, the saints, and Dallas. Do not want any of them in the SB.

You know what, I'm fine with that. I don't see how Jim Schwartz can come back if we miss the playoffs, which seems almost certain at this point.

But the depressing thing is that no matter what, Stafford is getting $90mil. That's elite QB money, and he might not be a top 12 QB in the league. Two INTs off ridiculous side arm passes, and I guarantee you not a single coach said a thing to him on the bench. His mechanics never improve. Brett Favre got away with that shit because he was, well, Brett Favre. Unlike Favre, Stafford can't hit anyone downfield in stride. If you watched the game you probably noticed the majority of Stafford's yards were off screen plays and slants. Short throws that lead to big yardage after the catch. That sums up the majority of his yards all season, and all of his career.

Megatron had a horrible game. I can't even fault him for the botched 2 point conversion, that was a poorly thrown fade. That's a throw you HAVE to be able to make, yet he can't consistently. He's inaccurate, and getting worse.

I don't know where this team goes from here. Mathmatically we can still win out to get the division title/playoffs spot, but who can expect that after these last 6 weeks of turnovers?

RODGERS AND CUTLER were dead for 5+ weeks and we couldn't capitalize.

Doorman

This was posted at 8:30 this evening, by the way.

HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL

Plinko, quoting hope? Weird.

I must by necessity embrace an "I'll believe it when I see it," attitude. The narrative from fans and media all year has been "playoffs or bust" for the team, especially so with the way the rest of the division crumbled in the middle of the year from injury, but the team itself has never addressed it as such. If there is any justice in the world this entire coaching staff will be gone, but I'm not counting on it quite yet.

Draconian

You know what, I'm fine with that. I don't see how Jim Schwartz can come back if we miss the playoffs, which seems almost certain at this point.

But the depressing thing is that no matter what, Stafford is getting $90mil. That's elite QB money, and he might not be a top 12 QB in the league. Two INTs off ridiculous side arm passes, and I guarantee you not a single coach said a thing to him on the bench. His mechanics never improve. Brett Favre got away with that shit because he was, well, Brett Favre. Unlike Favre, Stafford can't hit anyone downfield in stride. If you watched the game you probably noticed the majority of Stafford's yards were off screen plays and slants. Short throws that lead to big yardage after the catch. That sums up the majority of his yards all season, and all of his career.

Megatron had a horrible game. I can't even fault him for the botched 2 point conversion, that was a poorly thrown fade. That's a throw you HAVE to be able to make, yet he can't consistently. He's inaccurate, and getting worse.

I don't know where this team goes from here. Mathmatically we can still win out to get the division title/playoffs spot, but who can expect that after these last 6 weeks of turnovers?

This is all spot on, and I'd like to add that a lot of his throws make the receivers go up and get the ball in tight coverage and they end up getting annihilated after making the catch.

Goddammit...fucking happened again, great first half of the season and then shit the bed the last two months. Why not just give reggie like 30 carries? i don't fucking get it, you got one of the most electric, dynamic players in the league and you're in a close, low-scoring game where your qb is shitting all ove rthe field, AND the dude's running well, he should've had minimum 25 carries. Instead we got shitford forcing every other throw to megatron.

BigAT

Goddammit...fucking happened again, great first half of the season and then shit the bed the last two months. Why not just give reggie like 30 carries? i don't fucking get it, you got one of the most electric, dynamic players in the league and you're in a close, low-scoring game where your qb is shitting all ove rthe field, AND the dude's running well, he should've had minimum 25 carries. Instead we got shitford forcing every other throw to megatron.

Heavy
jerking off to field goals

squicken

Lions bros, tough loss, but Schwartz is gone. That's what matters. Don't get down on Stafford too much. Linehan does him no favors. He needs to improve, but I'd rather have him and his contract than Flacco

Farooq

Banned
This is all spot on, and I'd like to add that a lot of his throws make the receivers go up and get the ball in tight coverage and they end up getting annihilated after making the catch.

I remember Troy Aikman (in a broadcast) illustrated how Stafford's awkward throwing motion lead to balls pointing up while in the air, probably the reason why his throws sail on him so often.

It is undoubtedly the reason why he is so inaccurate despite having monster targets to throw to.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Steve Young brought up the good point about the coaching staff trying to contain Stafford's slanging. On a 3rd and 1 we have a 5 receiver set running crossing routes which lead to a dropped pass and INT. But we run that all game. Why do you put that pressure on Stafford every single play? Why not run the ball?

Schwartz needs to go at this point, but Mayhew (our GM) should stay. Knowing the Lions they'll fire both.

He's had five years to improve that secondary and look what happened. Plus, he hasn't hit on ONE 2nd-round pick.

Why, exactly, should he stay, too?

This is a good start, but keep this in mind, Phoenix, regarding Chicago: Josh McCown has been a surprise in Trestman's offense and, dare I say it, could be a better fit for them than Cutler (though they may not realize it now).

The reason why this team is destroying itself can be traced back to one thing: leadership. Or a lack of it. The coaching staff ... where do we begin? Linehan's predictability? The fact of some curious play calls throughout the season that have always backfired? Cunningham's inability to adjust to changing game situations (see: last week against Philly)? Schwartz's temper and stubbornness?

Stafford is also to blame as are the receivers, to a lesser extent. That sidearm shit is getting out of control and no one is telling him to stop it or correcting him. I do agree that he's a lot like Favre: one part of him is a touchdown machine with a cannon arm, and the other part is a turnover machine trying to force plays where they have no possibility of happening. Unlike Favre, he lacks that leadership ability.

The receivers and Reggie have just got to have a better handle on the ball in general. That's really all they need to do: stop the drops and/or fumbles.

On defense, we all know the problem: stupid penalties (though they've kind of cut down on that ... a tiny bit) and a weak secondary. It's been this way forever. Where as a few weeks ago, they just needed to get a playmaker at DB to shore things up going into 2014, they probably need a full rebuild there now. The penalties bit is coachable ... but Schwartz cannot seem to coach it.

Oh, and David Akers sucks. But that's a minor footnote.

So really, I would maybe, slightly agree with Kas that Mayhew isn't the real problem here (though I expect him to be terminated as well): Detroit has all the players it needs to be competitive and a constant playoff team except for that big-play DB. They just don't have someone who can use those tools to create something amazing ... only shit.

Tenumi

Banned
I'm slightly curious about where who appears to be Martin Mayhew is going in that stairs gif. Heading down, to where? Talk to whom? Mindless speculation? Probably.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.

Absolutely agree. Makes me sick that in my life this organization will have pissed away two all time greats.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Justin Rogers ‏@Justin_Rogers 8m

Brilliant coaching by Harbaugh. Forced the Lions to hold on to timeouts in case of fourth down conversion. He never intended on going 4 it.

Noah Trister ‏@noahtrister 5m

Harbaugh basically saying he duped the #Lions. Pretended they were going to go for it, but plan was to let time drain and kick. #Ravens
SMH

Top Bottom