• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 11 |OT| Turn Your Head and Cough

squicken

as an aside this has to be tough for FMT. a lot of his 49ers fandom is wrapped up in alex. to see kap steal his job has to sting a little. especially the cold-blooded way Harbs is doing it. it's basically a message to the whole team that even concussions can cost you your job

Doomsayer

The league said he is a head hunter. Which means its not the first time he did that type of hit.

That doesn't even deserve a penalty.
as an aside this has to be tough for FMT. a lot of his 49ers fandom is wrapped up in alex. to see kap steal his job has to sting a little. especially the cold-blooded way Harbs is doing it. it's basically a message to the whole team that even concussions can cost you your job

I don't think Alex is going to be benched. I just don't see Harbs doing it.

The league said he is a head hunter. Which means its not the first time he did that type of hit.

Yeah, it's bullshit. He's played in a ton of games, of course he's got more headshots than some two year player. Sample size!

It's still bullshit. What makes someone a repeat offender deserving of suspension? A certain number of penalties called, or arbitrary Goodell bullshit?

Not to mention the hit itself was t bad at all.

Doomsayer

Damn, these reporters are trying to get Harbs to bite on these QB questions. It's so blatant, journalism truly is dying.

Harbs said point blank

"I usually go with the guy with the hot hand" when asked about Kaepernick

I heard it, but he also said Alex also has a hot hand.

In his past 6 quarters he's missed two passes.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Rorschach

He tackles the head on more then one occasion in all games he played in this year. That hit by itself isnt anything but its clear what his intent is.

Again, that hit isnt solely why he is suspended.

Bullshit. Multiple times in EVERY game? Where did you pull that from? They had to dig up a hit from last year to make their case. SHOW ME THE EVIDENCE.

etiolate

Banned
Kaep is young. He still has a lot to go through. I don't expect this sort of game out of him every week. I particularly don't expect this sort of pass protection from the Niners o-line every week. I do trust Alex more at this point.

squicken

Damn, these reporters are trying to get Harbs to bite on these QB questions. It's so blatant, journalism truly is dying.

I heard it, but he also said Alex also has a hot hand.

In his past 6 quarters he's missed two passes.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

this is actually good journalism. harbs has a qb controversy and asking crap about stuff that doesn't matter is bad journalism. they can't let Harbs bully them

He tackles the head on more then one occasion in all games he played in this year. That hit by itself isnt anything but its clear what his intent is.

Again, that hit isnt solely why he is suspended.

They cited a hit on Drew Brees from 2010. Get the fuck out with that justification.

Tabris

Peyton Manning is an old ass biiiiitch who needs to retire. Kaepernick is totally new hotness.

Why would you retire when you are still the best QB in the league and you're going to be winning a Superbowl shortly?

Who's your team so I can make fun of them?

Doomsayer

this is actually good journalism. harbs has a qb controversy and asking crap about stuff that doesn't matter is bad journalism. they can't let Harbs bully them

If anything they should know that Harbs isn't going to give them anything. Shit, he doesn't even answer legitimate questions most of the time.

Spinluck

The only team that Chicago beat, that has a winning record, was us. And we were revealed to be frauds yesterday. Bears weren't for real, man.

imtehman

Banned

its true, one of the reporters brought up how VD actually showed up tonight and asked harbs if it was because kaep was playing

harSon

Banned
Why do people always fall for this shit?

There are so many cases where a team's starting QB goes out with injury, and the 2nd string QB comes in and has success, only to find out that they actually suck a few games down the line or the following season.

Alex Smith wasn't ruled out until yesterday (or today), so the Bears had to game plan for both him and Kaepernick. They probably spent more time game planning for Alex considering he didn't have a history of concussions, and players typically bounce back from them by the next game, especially with the added day of rest. So not only do you have a team who likely game planned mostly for Alex, but game planning against Kaepernick is going to be difficult considering there's little to no tape of him at the professional level.

Once he gets a few games under his belt, teams will be able to properly game plan against the guy. Once that happens, a defense is going to figure him out, effectively creating a blue print on how to defeat him that all future opponents will adhere too. And at that point, he'll begin to look like the inexperienced and mediocre 2nd string QB that he likely is.

It happens every fucking season, and yet people still fall for it.

ari

Banned
Bullshit. Multiple times in EVERY game? Where did you pull that from? They had to dig up a hit from last year to make their case. SHOW ME THE EVIDENCE.
Nfl network access showed some repeated head shots. It was a lot. Like 5 clear head tackles from at most from a single clip. I dont think the nfl made a mistake.

Edit: my bad, was from the last couple of years.

JCizzle

i'm not sure i want kap to start against the saints. he played better than i could've possibly hoped tonight but a road start in a hostile environment against a team who is going to put pressure on you is a tough task for a 2nd start.

kap has done everything we've asked and more and i think he should get a real shot at starter next season but if alex is healthy then he needs to start. lets keep our feet on the ground niner brothers!

Tough tough call. I think he'll go with Alex, but these windows for legit Super Bowl runs don't happen often. If he thinks CK is the difference in a potential run...

I bet there is a few sleepless nights for Harbs. Not a call I would want to make either way.

squicken

If anything they should know that Harbs isn't going to give them anything. Shit, he doesn't even answer legitimate questions most of the time.

this isn't a 49ers specific criticism but coaches try and bully the press and not answer questions. it's the job of the media to ask those hard questions and not dumb shit like "coach can you talk about the effort you guys had up front?"

who cares? collect information

There are so many cases where a team's starting QB goes out with injury, and the 2nd string QB comes in and has success, only to find out that they actually suck a few games down the line or the following season.

Alex Smith wasn't ruled out until yesterday (or today), so the Bears had to game plan for both him and Kaepernick. They probably spent more time game planning for Alex considering he didn't have a history of concussions, and players typically bounce back from them by the next game, especially with the added day of rest. So not only do you have a team who likely game planned mostly for Alex, but game planning against Kaepernick is going to be difficult considering there's little to no tape of him at the professional level.

Once he gets a few games under his belt, teams will be able to properly game plan against the guy. Once that happens, a defense is going to figure him out, effectively creating a blue print on how to defeat him that all future opponents will adhere too. And at that point, he'll begin to look like the inexperience and likely mediocre 2nd string QB that he is.

But... the incumbent is Alex Smith.

nope. i said (even when alex was the top rated QB in the league) that he is a product of harbs. i am not an alex smith fan, i'm a 49er fan, and whoever is going to give us the best chance to win i'm going to back. harbs knows who gives us the best chance to win so if he deems alex or kap starter, then i trust him!

ari

Banned

Once he gets a few games under his belt, teams will be able to properly game plan against the guy. Once that happens, a defense is going to figure him out, effectively creating a blue print on how to defeat him that all future opponents will adhere too. And at that point, he'll begin to look like the inexperienced and mediocre 2nd string QB that he likely is.

that ether.

Tabris

nope. i said (even when alex was the top rated QB in the league) that he is a product of harbs. i am not an alex smith fan, i'm a 49er fan, and whoever is going to give us the best chance to win i'm going to back. harbs knows who gives us the best chance to win so if he deems alex or kap starter, then i trust him!

*cough* Peyton Manning *cough*

footballgore.gif

Gore goring Lance Briggs...

Hunter S.

Peyton Manning is an old ass biiiiitch who needs to retire. Kaepernick is totally new hotness.

Hahahahaha Peyton leads the league in pro bowl voting and is the talk for MVP again. Only one more win under his control and he ties last seasons total for the broncs. KC is next and it is the first of two. :D

damn it must burn you up inside that the niners are the talk of the town with a backup QB and the steelers are just suckin dick and makin excuses while they lose game after game. very sad

JCizzle

Those fucking Patriots falling for that shit with Brady in 01.

Not saying CK is that level, obviously, but it's not unprecedented to be a successful approach. Furthermore, describing a young backup as inherently mediocre is also flawed for obvious reasons. They drafted CK to develop him. Maybe he's ready, maybe he isn't, but I think that's an unfair assertion.

squicken

i know you are a 49ers fan. but you went through a lot with alex. all those coordinator changes and bad head coaches. then he finally gets with harbs and has some success. only harbs clearly wants to upgrade and embarrasses alex in the offseason, only for alex to come crawling back. then alex gives his all for the team, even possibly his future cognitive functions, and what does harbs do to reward him for all that he has given? he cuts alex's throat in a press conference

edit: even VD bowed to kap. whole team behind him

Mike Sando, ESPN.com ‏@espn_nfcwest
Back from 49ers locker room. No one, including Harbaugh, discouraged idea that Kaepernick might have won job. No rain on this parade.

LevelNth

Banned
I would agree with harSon if Kap had come out and been all gadget-y as was thought he would be. But he SCHOOLED one of the best D's in the league with his line and progression reads and his arm.

If that is so easily game planned, then QB's wouldn't be such an important position.

It simply cannot be denied, regardless of what happens, that this was a fucking superb performance.

JCizzle

i know you are a 49ers fan. but you went through a lot with alex. all those coordinator changes and bad head coaches. then he finally gets with harbs and has some success. only harbs clearly wants to upgrade and embarrasses alex in the offseason, only for alex to come crawling back. then alex gives his all for the team, even possibly his future cognitive functions, and what does harbs do to reward him for all that he has given? he cuts alex's throat in a press conference

Alex is equally hot right now, so no. That's been his motto since day one. Alex is like 26/28 for 4 TD up until he got hurt over the last game. Also, Alex came "crawling back" because it was the only opening where he could start, and certainly the only contender he could start for.

I think it's 95% likely Alex is starting next week.

cajunator

Banned
i'm not sure i want kap to start against the saints. he played better than i could've possibly hoped tonight but a road start in a hostile environment against a team who is going to put pressure on you is a tough task for a 2nd start.

kap has done everything we've asked and more and i think he should get a real shot at starter next season but if alex is healthy then he needs to start. lets keep our feet on the ground niner brothers!

That game could end up being pretty incredible.
Im glad its in the Dome, which gives our defense a chance to actually be relevant, and this time we have 4 capable backs in case yall concuss PT again (last time the whole RB group was banged up). The offense is healthy and clicking. The fans are going to be pretty ballistic with the recent good fortunes. It should be a really great game.

harSon

Banned
Those fucking Patriots falling for that shit with Brady in 01.

Not saying CK is that level, obviously, but it's not unprecedented to be a successful approach. Furthermore, describing a young backup as inherently mediocre is also flawed for obvious reasons. They drafted CK to develop him. Maybe he's ready, maybe he isn't, but I think that's an unfair assertion.

I don't think Alex Smith is a good QB, but they got far with him last season, and 49ers are currently 6-2-1 with a decent chance to go deep into the playoffs. Why the fuck would you go with the unknown in that situation? You know what you get with Alex, but you don't know what you're getting with Kaepernick. He could be better than Alex, but there's a chance that he's not.

I don't see the point in taking the chance. For every Tom Brady, you can probably name 5 2nd string QB in recent memory who didn't pan out after initial promise. People like Flynn, Cassel, Kolb, Henne, etc. They all showed just as much promise in their first starts, and are complete crap in retrospect.

Doomsayer

I just can't see Harbs benching a starting QB on a 6-2-1 team. If we were 2-6 and Kaep performed like this, then go for it.

We have a winning formula and it would be pretty knee-jerky to change that.

I agree with...Harson? Shit. The Mayans were right.

Drakeon

I don't think Alex Smith is a good QB, but they got far with him last season, and 49ers are currently 6-2-1 with a decent chance to go deep into the playoffs. Why the fuck would you go with the unknown in that situation? You know what you get with Alex, but you don't know what you're getting with Kaepernick. He could be better than Alex, but there's a chance that he's not.

I don't see the point in taking the chance. For every Tom Brady, you can probably name 5 2nd string QB in recent memory who didn't pan out after initial promise. People like Flynn, Cassel, Kolb, Henne, etc. They all showed just as much promise in their first starts, and are complete crap in retrospect.

Flynn isn't particularly relevant since Seattle decided not to unleash HoFlynn on the unsuspecting NFL. He hasn't actually been the regular starter for any team yet.

Top Bottom