• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 11 |OT| Turn Your Head and Cough

cajunator

Banned
I just can't see Harbs benching a starting QB on a 6-2-1 team. If we were 2-6 and Kaep performed like this, then go for it.

We have a winning formula and it would be pretty knee-jerky to change that.

I agree with...Harson? Shit. The Mayans were right.

Alex went blow for blow with the Saints in a playoff game. I think going with experience is the best option, especially in a playoff like atmosphere, which is exactly what this game will be like.

squicken

Alex Smith isn't 6-2. Harbaugh is 6-2. It's his system. His culture. He signed Brandon Jacobs just to let Gore and Hunter know that if they slipped, there was a replacement on hand

Alex is getting replaced. Read the quotes. It's done

Conventional wisdom says you don't bench your starting QB due to injury especially since he's been playing well before that. However, Harbaugh is anything but conventional. He eats, breathes, sleeps and sexes competition.

JCizzle

I don't think Alex Smith is a good QB, but they got far with him last season, and 49ers are currently 6-2-1 with a decent chance to go deep into the playoffs. Why the fuck would you go with the unknown in that situation? You know what you get with Alex, but you don't know what you're getting with Kaepernick. He could be better than Alex, but there's a chance that he's not.

I don't see the point in taking the chance. For every Tom Brady, you can probably name 5 2nd string QB in recent memory who didn't pan out after initial promise. People like Flynn, Cassel, Kolb, Henne, etc. They all showed just as much promise in their first starts, and are complete crap in retrospect.

The question is if he thinks Alex is dynamic enough to make a full SB run if the defense plays as inconsistently as they have been this year. I'm concerned the same formula that worked last year isn't quite as effective this year and they might need the extra dimension that Alex doesn't have the physical tools to provide. Maybe they'll click and play more consistent, who knows, but I would be surprised if CK is as bad as the collection you threw out there.

Alex Smith isn't 6-2. Harbaugh is 6-2. It's his system. His culture. He signed Brandon Jacobs just to let Gore and Hunter know that if they slipped, there was a replacement on hand

Alex is getting replaced. Read the quotes. It's done

harbaugh knows exactly what he's doing, and he has known all along. they have been bringing kap along slowly.... a play here, a play there, but then it really started to hurt the team in the giants game (big play by alex and then kap comes in and stalls momentum).

this is why if he says kap or alex is the starter then i'm pretty confident in his decision

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
harbaugh knows exactly what he's doing, and he has known all along. they have been bringing kap along slowly.... a play here, a play there, but then it really started to hurt the team in the giants game (big play by alex and then kap comes in and stalls momentum).

this is why if he says kap or alex is the starter then i'm pretty confident in his decision

Where's the victory post already?!! All these mouthy Bears fans and you haven't gone off yet!

Trey

I would agree with harSon if Kap had come out and been all gadget-y as was thought he would be. But he SCHOOLED one of the best D's in the league with his line and progression reads and his arm.

If that is so easily game planned, then QB's wouldn't be such an important position.

It simply cannot be denied, regardless of what happens, that this was a fucking superb performance.

Exactly. He showed comfort in the pocket and was slanging it. He had a few overthrows, but nothing that I would call a bad pass.

But! That Niners team dominated in all aspects. Kaepernick didn't have to show the stuff that makes good QBs good QBs. His line kept him clean. His run game was unrepentant. He passed the test with a curve. It still remains to be seen if he is up to a truly rigorous examination.

imtehman

Banned
there's a reason why when alex is starting the niners are a run first team. Alex smith isn't the answer if the niners are trying to win a superbowl. You dont sit in the pocket and take sacks because its the safe thing to do. THat's not going to get it done

Where's the victory post already?!! All these mouthy Bears fans and you haven't gone off yet!

if i feel slighted by a team or a fanbase then i will have something to say! this was a mellow game that we controlled beginning to end. plus i've been here all night commenting on the game! haven't you enjoyed it!?

the harbaugh bang show in here is unbearable

sounds like you're jealous that you're stuck with kubiak and the niners have a real coach. don't project your hate unto us!

RBH

j47uLSJyBfWnL.png

cajunator

Banned
One thing I am worried about is a third string tackle will have to hold off Aldon Smith. This could be interesting, although the Saints have gotten by with a torn up Oline before and Brees is pretty good at eluding the sack. Will have to chip block more with RB/TEs but I think they can make it work.

Tabris

I would like for the Broncos to play the 49ers in the Superbowl so I can re-quote that week 2 FMT post one more time, but that won't happen as they'll be knocked out by the Giants.

Narag

I really dont understand Tabris. Is he just going to hate football again after the Mannings retire?

No one understands Tabris. I went to the hockey thread to ask how to handle it and I think the consensus was a burlap sack and the nearest river.

Smokey

harbs has as many playoff wins in 1 season as kubiak has had in 17 seasons or however long that shitbag has been your coach!

p.s.

i consider having to beat the jags in overtime worse than tying the rams

a win is in no way shape or form worse than a tie against the st louis rams that were just blown out by the pathetic jets

you TIED the rams son. let that marinate

kubiak > harbaughz

Tabris

I really dont understand Tabris. Is he just going to hate football again after the Mannings retire?

Hate football again? Never hated Football. I just didn't follow football before Peyton Manning. My first Sunday I ever watched (except when I was a kid watching the niners with Jerry Rice) in 2006 had Peyton Manning and the Colts and instantly I was memorized, and instantly that was my player. And instantly I hated Tammy. I adopted Eli the next year.

I have 10+ years and 3-4 extra superbowl rings to decide what happens when the Mannings both retire.

Drakeon

Who do you guys think the best coaches in the league are at the moment?

I'd list these guys, not sure how I'd rank them:
Tom Coughlin
Jim Harbaugh (admittedly I'm biased here)
John Harbaugh
Bill Belicheck
Mike McCarthy
Sean Payton
Mike Tomlin
and maybe Mike Smith (but he really needs to get at least one playoff win).

AndresON777

shooting blanks

Tom Coughlin
John Harbaugh
Bill Belicheck
Mike McCarthy
Sean Payton
Mike Tomlin

Mike Smith is terrible mang

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I would like for the Broncos to play the 49ers in the Superbowl so I can re-quote that week 2 FMT post one more time, but that won't happen as they'll be knocked out by the Giants.

Either way, it'll be revenge on one of those teams for a Superbowl Loss.

Smokey

Tom Coughlin
John Harbaugh
Bill Belicheck
Mike McCarthy
Sean Payton
Mike Tomlin

Texans' Wade Philips

squicken

Tom Coughlin
John Harbaugh
Bill Belicheck
Mike McCarthy
Sean Payton
Mike Tomlin

every single person in this thread (except maybe pats fans) would trade their coach for harbaugh. if they say they wouldn't they are either lying or stupid.

Fjordson

Trent out hyperboling Steve :lol

"THERE'S A CALMNESS IN HIS EYES. LIKE A DOLL'S EYES."
Almost crying laughing at this. Love the ESPN "analysis" sometimes.

Anyways, great night for the Niners. Awesome to Aldon Smith picking it up the last few weeks and for the defense to respond after last week's lackluster effort.

I just wish I had gotten tickets to tonight's game instead of last week. Had to sit through a tie with the fucking Rams instead of witnessing Monday night domination from Kap and coompany. Oh well.

cajunator

Banned
every single person in this thread (except maybe pats fans) would trade their coach for harbaugh. if they say they wouldn't they are either lying or stupid.

No.
I am extremely hopeful that we get Payton back.
Wouldnt trade him for anyone else. When he's gone, I suppose Harbaugh would be my second most revered coach. I certainly respect the guy, but I love watching Payton's offenses. Beauty in motion.

Tom Coughlin
John Harbaugh
Bill Belicheck
Mike McCarthy
Sean Payton
Mike Tomlin

Tomlin has made some terrible calls this year. And not taking Leftwich out of last night's game was another one. I would not put him among the top coaches in the league at the moment.

Drakeon

Tomlin has made some terrible calls this year. And not taking Leftwich out of last night's game was another one. I would not put him among the top coaches in the league at the moment.

Honestly, was trying to come up with some AFC coaches so I went with a guy who had won a Superbowl.

Tom Coughlin
John Harbaugh
Bill Belicheck
Mike McCarthy
Sean Payton
Mike Tomlin

No Greg Schiano?

Fox318

Tom Coughlin
John Harbaugh
Bill Belicheck
Mike McCarthy
Sean Payton
Mike Tomlin

1. Rex Ryan
  2. .....
  3. ......
  4. ......
  5. ......
  6. Others
  7. Cheaty

beast786

Tom Coughlin
John Harbaugh
Bill Belicheck
Mike McCarthy
Sean Payton
Mike Tomlin

All of them had great talent on there team. Take talent away and you won't recognize them from Wayne fontes

It's so subjective especially with most head coaches because the offensive/defensive coordinators pretty much call the play and run the show. Head coaches get too much credit and blame

AndresON777

shooting blanks
All of them had great talent on there team. Take talent away and you won't recognize them from Wayne fontes

It's so subjective especially with most head coaches because the offensive/defensive coordinators pretty much call the play and run the show. Head coaches get too much credit and blame

Wayne Fontes was awesome! damn I miss him

cdyhybrid

I'd rather have Pete Carroll. Harbaugh doesn't care about his players. He's an egomaniac and a douchebag. He also looks like Rob Dyrdek mixed with Bill Paxton. David Shaw and Andrew Luck were clearly the brains behind Stanford's success.

Also, Matt Flynn is better than Alex and Cap combined.

Go Hawks

Top Bottom