• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL April |OT| The End

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puddles

Banned
Greene's selfish hit is the difference between drawing a beatable Blues team and probably losing in 6 to Vancouver.

Why do players do stupid shit in critical games? In both games, the penalties we took weren't the kind where it was either take the penalty or probably give up a goal. They were unnecessary and unforced. We could have won the fucking division and drawn Chicago, who we handled in the regular season. Instead we get the best team in the league. Un-fucking-believable.

Tabris

3rd place in hockey pool and based on numbers, I would have beaten bruce in this last match if I had remembered to play Crosby for that first match against bruce. Not bad for my first time playing that style of fantasy pool.

Bruce, we doing anything for the playoffs?

CCF23

(1) Rangers def. (8) Senators in 5
(2) Bruins def. (7) Capitals in 7
(6) Devils def. (3) Panthers in 4
(5) Flyers def. (4) Penguins in 6

(1) Canucks def. (8) Kings in 6
(2) Blues def. (7) Sharks in 7
(6) Blackhawks def. (3) Coyotes in 6
(5) Wings def. (4) Predators in 7

Fine...I guess I'll expand on it, but I'm not picking the winner of the Cup Final (I called a Canucks/Bruins final last year but picked the Canucks to win :( ).

Round 2:

(1) Rangers def. (6) Devils in 6
(5) Flyers def. (2) Bruins in 6

(1) Canucks def. (6) Blackhawks in 5
(5) Wings def. (2) Blues in 6

Conference finals:

(5) Flyers def. (1) Rangers in 7

(1) Canucks def. (5) Wings in 7

Cup Finals:

(1) Canucks Vs. (5) Flyers

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Alright, after tonight's win, I can't wait for the playoffs to start:

-Henrik is definitely back, amazing passes and he even scored
-2 pp goals, finally
-secondary scoring everywhere
-both goalies on top of their game
-tanev with 17 games in a row without negative plus/minus, we have a new top4 shutdown D.
-booth drought ended

Now all that's left is Daniel back and the end of Kesler's drought.

TL;DR: Bring it on, LA.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Rangers > Sens in 5
Bruins > Caps in 7
Devils > Panthers in 6
Flyers > Pens in 7

Canucks > Kings in 5
Blues > Sharks in 6
Blackhawks > Coyotes in 7
Predators > Wings in 5

Biggest wildcard for me is Yotes, and how Smith plays. I'm expecting him to play great which is why I put them at losing in 7 as opposed to 5 or 6. How Toews is changes things as well.

JWong

Banned
Another Tabris countdown?

PLAYOFF TIME!!!

VhweQ.gif

(1) Rangers def. (8) Senators in 6
(7) Capitals def. (2) Bruins in 7
(6) Devils def. (3) Panthers in 5
(4) Penguins def. (5) Flyers in 6

(8) Kings def. (1) Canucks in 7 (Gotta pick one big upset)
(7) Sharks def. (2) Blues in 7
(6) Blackhawks def. (3) Coyotes in 6
(4) Predators def. (5) Wings in 6

ShaneB

I know the schedule doesn't come out till tomorrow but has it been said which day the first game will be on?

I think it's Wednesday.

Also, I'm glad to see 6 of the 8 matchups in the first round I find interesting. Don't really care about Panthers/Devils, and Sharks/Blues, so 6 out 8 is pretty damn good.

Will do my predictions tomorrow, but I can see a few upsets in the making.

Mii

Banned
These aren't the Blues I'm used to mocking over the past decade. I can only hope they end up playoff pushovers similar to their brethren of seasons past.

West

VAN vs LAK - Canucks in 6
STL vs SJS - Sharks in 6
PHX vs CHI - Coyotes in 6
NSH vs DET - Predators in 5

VAN vs SJS - Canucks in 5
PHX vs NSH - Coyotes in 6

VAN vs PHX - Coyotes in 6

East

NYR vs OTT - Rangers in 4
BOS vs WSH - Bruins in 5
FLA vs NJD - Devils in 6
PIT vs PHI - Penguins in 6

NYR vs PIT - Rangers in 6
BOS vs NJD - Bruins in 5

NYR vs BOS - Bruins in 6

Cup
PHX vs BOS - Bruins in 4 - The only time Phoenix will ever see the Stanley Cup. The Coyotes will be sold the following week.

You know..........if the Coyotes make it to the final but have to move somewhere for next season.......wouldn't it have to be announced before the cup is even won? I doubt the NHL can wait until mid-June to know what teams are where next season....

Mii

Banned
You know..........if the Coyotes make it to the final but have to move somewhere for next season.......wouldn't it have to be announced before the cup is even won? I doubt the NHL can wait until mid-June to know what teams are where next season....

The Thrashers-to-Winnipeg deal was announced May 31 last year. I figure the league can move quietly for about an extra week if necessary.

*sigh* Someone can make an offseason thread now :(
I imagine that since this is now a community, anything can be discussed in here. That would mean off-season content as well as non-hockey related content which interests the community is acceptable. We are like our own mini-board now.

Either way, imagine how weird that banner raising ceremony would be.

Revenant

Greene's selfish hit is the difference between drawing a beatable Blues team and probably losing in 6 to Vancouver.

Why do players do stupid shit in critical games? In both games, the penalties we took weren't the kind where it was either take the penalty or probably give up a goal. They were unnecessary and unforced. We could have won the fucking division and drawn Chicago, who we handled in the regular season. Instead we get the best team in the league. Un-fucking-believable.

that doesn't really count for much at all. You either could have played an 100 point team...or an 100 point team.. or if you were really lucky..an 100 point team.

Puddles

Banned
that doesn't really count for much at all. You either could have played an 100 point team...or an 100 point team.. or if you were really lucky..an 100 point team.

And two of the three were beatable. Had we won the division, I would have been fairly comfortable placing a million dollar bet on the Kings defeating the Blackhawks in a series. We'll never know though.

Well, the team underachieved all year. Why would they stop now? Best of luck with the Mutts.

Canucks are peaking at the right time. They've won 8 of their last 9, with most of their lineup healthy and rested. Funny how a season of relative mediocrity (compared to last year) ended up in another President's Trophy. I wonder if fans are spoiled.

And I won the other GAF fantasy league. :D

RC

Banned
Another President's trophy, who'd of thunk it.

A lot of questions were answered tonight, which is exactly what you need heading into the post season. A Kesler goal would've been nice though.

I would've preferred San Jose in the first round but what can you do. Hopefully our pk will be a lot better then it was in '08. And hopefully LA's offense doesn't suddenly decide to wake up.

I make predictions one round at a time.

Vancouver over LA in 6.
St. Louis over San Jose in 5.
Chicago over Phoenix in 6.
Nashville over Detroit in 7.

NY over Ottawa in 5.
Boston over Washington in 6. (Prove me wrong Caps!)
NJ over Florida in 4.
Pittsburgh over Philly in 6.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
It'll be interesting to see how the Flyers tackle Crosby and Malkin in the playoffs. One of the keys of Habs beating the pens in that magic run was being able to contain them. Flyers have owned the Pens in pittsburgh, have they kept both of them tied down?

Revenant

just a rumor but Toews could be out for the first round... maybe playoffs :(

some conflicting reports though on how he actually is though, was supposedly clear for contact but whenever he's interviewed he sounds like it'll be awhile, then Q makes it sound like he's almost ready.

Karma.

Seriously though, hope Toews is okay; he was great when the Hawks won the cup, but he was the best player on an absolutely stacked Team Canada, which says a lot. Don't want to see young superstars like him and Crosby get taken out of the game because of head issues.

Acid08

Banned
We won, suck it Queens! Some dude sitting a couple rows in front of me puked all over himself, that shit was fucking crazy.

Then I realize we're playing the Blues in the first round. FUUUUUCK. My most hated matchup for sure. I think the boys can do it if TMac brings something new to the table and finally decides he's a coach that's good enough to figure out how to get around a neutral zone trap. I hope he's good enough.

Oh yeah Queens fans, your team sure loves hitting Sharks players in the back huh?

SpacLock

People under estimate the Wings every year. I love it.

Hey, I do the same. We're fucked, but I'd never play the prediction game like the rest of you do.

Ottawa definitely matches up better against NYR than Boston, but I hate going ass first into the playoffs. That never works out well. Still happy they got in though.

Sens can win this one, or the can just as easily be swept. Probably the streakiest team in the NHL.

SpacLock

Ottawa definitely matches up better against NYR than Boston, but I hate going ass first into the playoffs. That never works out well. Still happy they got in though.

Sens can win this one, or the can just as easily be swept. Probably the streakiest team in the NHL.

The Rangers are pretty damn good, but I like the Sens chances. Should be an excellent series.

Puddles

Banned
Oh yeah Queens fans, your team sure loves hitting Sharks players in the back huh?

So stupid. Why do you take unforced penalties against a top PP team? It makes no goddamn sense. You'd think they would have learned after the Thursday game.

Congrats on your 7th seed.

Marvie_3

Banned

some conflicting reports though on how he actually is though, was supposedly clear for contact but whenever he's interviewed he sounds like it'll be awhile, then Q makes it sound like he's almost ready.
He was cleared for contact awhile ago and he's been doing full practices so I can't imagine he's too far off. I'd still probably shut him down for the year because Chicago isn't going to win the Cup even with him back healthy.

Barrage

NYR VS OTT- Rangers in 5.

BOS VS WASH-Bruins in 6.

FLOR VS NJD- Devils in 4.

PITT VS PHI-Flyers in 7.

---------------

VAN VS LA-Canucks in 5.

STL VS SJ- Blues in 7.

PHX VS CHI-Coyotes in 6.

NASH VS DET- Red Wings in 7.

Puddles

Banned
NYR VS OTT- Rangers in 5.

BOS VS WASH-Bruins in 6 .

FLOR VS NJD- Devils in 6.

PITT VS PHI- Penguins in 7.

---------------

VAN VS LA- Canucks in 7.

STL VS SJ- Sharks in 5.

PHX VS CHI- Coyotes in 6.

NASH VS DET- Red Wings in 5.

Tabris

Mike throwing fire now. Playoff hate is starting. Good.

To all other playoff team fans: I hate you, I hate you, I don't even know you and I hate your guts. I hope all the bad things in life happen to you and nobody else... but yooouuu. Hate, hate, hate.

CCF23

The good thing about playing the Kings instead of the Sharks? We don't have to play a team with a good fan base. Should be able to get good home crowds on the road. The Sharks have awesome fans.

Quick

Banned
Playoff thread is up!

A bit sparse at the moment, I'll add more playoff-related info as the week passes.

Predictions?

NYR VS OTT - Rangers in 6.

BOS VS WASH -Bruins in 5 .

FLOR VS NJD - Panthers in 7.

PITT VS PHI - Penguins in 7.

---------------

VAN VS LA - Canucks in 7.

STL VS SJ - Sharks in 6.

PHX VS CHI - Coyotes in 5.

NASH VS DET - Red Wings in 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.