• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT| My prospects are better than yours

zroid

Banned
Marlies signed more ATOs. This time to Mason Marchment, whom I was just watching play for the Steelheads, and Tyler Wong. Not familiar with him.

Quick

Banned
Just read that post he made in that locked Bernie Sanders thread.

8c8ce9a0-89fd-0132-1dd7-0a2c89e5f2f5.gif

Yawnier

Banned
Marlies signed more ATOs. This time to Mason Marchment, whom I was just watching play for the Steelheads, and Tyler Wong. Not familiar with him.

Mason Marchment was the dude who killed Marner in the OHL playoffs last year and his dad played like one season for the leafs a long time ago. So huh kind of neat.

Not familiar with Wong, but the Marlies get another sub 6 foot forward woooo.

Chris R

There's always an LA Colorado game in Vegas, Frozen Fury every year.

Reading his first couple posts, "Well this isn't that ba--Ohhhh."

Oh :(

But this time it's in the new arena! No direct flights available right now, but if something turns up later this year I'm going to consider it...

Samyy

Timmins, Dudley and Churla all watching Dubois play tonight

You won't be in a position to take Dubois, after reading up on him there's no way he should get past fifth - superior production compared to Strome last year i believe.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Dreger: We should expect a vote of confidence from Marc Bergevin for Michel Therrien this weekend or early next week. #Habs

Pierre Lebrun on TSN690: "My guess is - pending ownership approval - Bergevin wants to bring Therrien next year."

lMQLUkC.gif

I'm going to need a new sport to watch next season, Bergevin's end of season presser should be legendary.

You won't be in a position to take Dubois, after reading up on him there's no way he should get past fifth - superior production compared to Strome last year i believe.
Wouldn't surprise me if Bergevin tried to move up in this draft.

Yawnier

Banned
This is what Samyy is talking about I think?

@3Hayden2 21h21 hours ago

Out of 3,400 first year draft eligible CHL forwards dating back to 98 how many do you think have higher adjusted primary points/GP than PLD?

@3Hayden2 21h21 hours ago

The answer is 9

CfZv-5xXIAAWtv5.jpg

Honestly I think he gets picked in the 4-6 range, doubt he falls or gets picked beyond 6.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
lMQLUkC.gif

I'm going to need a new sport to watch next season, Bergevin's end of season presser should be legendary.

Wouldn't surprise me if Bergevin tried to move up in this draft.

I already warned you.

Bergevin should be asking what the fuck his coach is actually doing if they go from the best team in the league, to having one of the worst records of all-time without Carey Price in net.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
hmm... Kapanen has played 8 games. There are 2 games left in the season. What are they planning?
Asked some writers at pension plan puppets when they did an AMA on Reddit about him. None of them were high up on him and I'm not high on him either. For the best Euro that draft and all the hype and how he supposedly nearly made the Pens last season, I expected a Nylander-like season from him. I'm not sure I see him in our top 6 and I think we should trade him.

Merguson

Banned
Asked some writers at pension plan puppets when they did an AMA on Reddit about him. None of them were high up on him and I'm not high on him either. For the best Euro that draft and all the hype and how he supposedly nearly made the Pens last season, I expected a Nylander-like season from him. I'm not sure I see him in our top 6 and I think we should trade him.

Giving up on a 19-year old sounds.. like a great idea for the Leafs.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I already warned you.

Bergevin should be asking what the fuck his coach is actually doing if they go from the best team in the league, to having one of the worst records of all-time without Carey Price in net.
I don't understand why they're such close friends, they seem like complete opposite personalities. If Therrien is still around come September, I'm all aboard the #FireBergevin train.

Yawnier

Banned
Look at all these busts

Haha yeah. Aside from Brendl and I guess Gagner as well he is in pretty good company on that list.

Tbh not too concerned about Kapy. He's only 19 years old and one of the youngest players in the NHL/AHL. If he were like, 22 or 23 years old I'd be concerned with some of his play though.

He could use 1 or 2 more seasons in the AHL, for a player his age a lot can develop and change over that period of time.

But I remember when he fell as far as he did in the 2014 draft, where he was the top ranked euro skater even ahead of Nylander. Perhaps some of the scouts were onto something there.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Giving up on a 19-year old sounds.. like a great idea for the Leafs.
We'll see how he does next season but I'm bit impressed with what I've seen.
Tbh not too concerned about Kapy. He's only 19 years old and one of the youngest players in the NHL/AHL. If he were like, 22 or 23 years old I'd be concerned though.

He could use 1 or 2 more seasons in the AHL, for a player his age a lot can develop and change over that period of time.

But I remember when he fell as far as he did in the 2014 draft, maybe some of the scouts were onto something there.
Could be he just needs to be the guy and needs to be pushed a lot more. We'll see how he fares next season, but I definitely don't see him on the Leafs.

Samyy

I think Leaf fans experiences with Nylander and kinda skewing their expectations for prospects, typically most prospects don't produce like Nylander did, even the good ones. I have no real concerns about Kapanen, we can afford to wait 2-3 more years on him, there's no rush.

zroid

Banned
Yeah that's why I was wondering about the 8 games played, I think he shouldn't be put in the same category as Nylander where it sort of made sense to burn year 1 of the ELC. He would do well to spend a year in the AHL, totally healthy, and without interruptions due to WJCs or call-ups. Let's see how he does next season.

I think Leaf fans experiences with Nylander and kinda skewing their expectations for prospects, typically most prospects don't produce like Nylander did, even the good ones. I have no real concerns about Kapanen, we can afford to wait 2-3 more years on him, there's no rush.

Agreed. And the pseudo-young prospects too -Carrick, Hyman and Soshnikov- get lumped in with Kapanen when we (fans, media) discuss how players in the system are faring.

Plus, as much as the PPP blog is fun to read at times, there's really no reason at all to put any sort of weight behind their prospect analysis. I mean, they're at best a small step above what you'd get here. They're probably even reading the same reports as us.

Quick

Banned
I'm really tempering my expectations on everyone.

I'm hoping Kapanen ends up being a good piece 2-3 years down the line. I can't say I have any "controversial opinions" on the Leafs prospects right now. :lol

Socreges

Banned
Benning to meet Demko and family tomorrow. Not wasting any time.

Also, lol:

Omar @omarcanuck

Benning: Let's take a walk and talk about your contract, Thatcher.
Demko: I need to take a shower.
Benning: I'm not afraid of water!
4:53 PM - 7 Apr 2016
The thirst is real.

yyzjohn

Banned
I may not like Dreger that much as a reporter, but his Babcock impersonation is stellar. I would have thought it was actually Babcock speaking had I not known.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Agreed. And the pseudo-young prospects too -Carrick, Hyman and Soshnikov- get lumped in with Kapanen when we (fans, media) discuss how players in the system are faring.

Plus, as much as the PPP blog is fun to read at times, there's really no reason at all to put any sort of weight behind their prospect analysis. I mean, they're at best a small step above what you'd get here. They're probably even reading the same reports as us.
I think they were referencing Pronman among others.

And that's great thing, I'm actually fine with Shosnikov, Hyman, and surprisingly Goat. Kapanen just doesn't look ready, but you guys are right and it may be another year or two.

Also, I had a bet with a coworker from Vancouver that either the Flames or Oilers would place above them in the standings. That spanking last night was the final nail in the coffin!

yyzjohn

Banned
I think they were referencing Pronman among others.

And that's great thing, I'm actually fine with Shosnikov, Hyman, and surprisingly Goat. Kapanen just doesn't look ready, but you guys are right and it may be another year or two.

Also, I had a bet with a coworker from Vancouver that either the Flames or Oilers would place above them in the standings. That spanking last night was the final nail in the coffin!

I think the days of the Leafs not developing prospects are over. The few surprises we saw this year will soon become the norm to Leafs fans as their minor league system improves. I'm sure in the future they'll be guys that make the team that we never even expected, the drafting and development of Leafs has radically improved. Even if a few "name" guys like Kapanen don't make it, they'll be others who were never on fans radar that break through.

LevelNth

Banned
Just a reminder on how good Nylander's first quarter season has been:

21GP - 6G - 7A - 13P

63% CF (All situations)
56.8% CF (5v5)

2.27 P/60

All at 19 with the majority of his playing time alongside Colin Greening and PA Parenteau and a handful of rookies swapped in and out.

Top Bottom