• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT| My prospects are better than yours

eyeless

here's some neat pix
K2yeNUV.png

KVV1miR.png

also a meaningless stat that i noticed, nylander has 8 points in his last 9 gamez

imBask

Banned
"we were in the shitter for last for the last 3 years but those cherrypicked stats tells us we're doing fine!"

zroid

Banned
But nobody challenged his tweet? He obviously looked up something wrong.

lol I dunno if it's accurate or not, I don't really care. Just disputing the claim that he said that because he's a delusional fan.

edit: I just looked it up, I'm guessing what he meant was Corsi, not Shots. They are 16th in the league in CA/60 at 5v5.

yyzjohn

Banned
lol I dunno if it's accurate or not, I don't really care. Just disputing the claim that he said that because he's a delusional fan.

edit: I just looked it up, I'm guessing what he meant was Corsi, not Shots. They are 16th in the league in CA/60 at 5v5.

You are correct, looked it up, the CA/60 corresponds to the stats he was talking about, they were 27th last year and 30th the year previously in that stat. Guess it was a typo/error on his part.

yyzjohn

Banned
On to the important stuff, big game tonight, a Leafs loss and they clinch 29th, with still a shot at 30th in the standings. Going up against the Oilers in tanking is like trying to face the Hawks in game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals, it's not an easy task.

zroid

Banned
On to the important stuff, big game tonight, a Leafs loss and they clinch 29th, with still a shot at 30th in the standings. Going up against the Oilers in tanking is like trying to face the Hawks in game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals, it's not an easy task.
They sent Clune back down, I thought that was going to hurt the tank

...but they recalled Sam Carrick :lol

Bless Lou

calder

Which teams are most dangerous with Matthews? - Craig Custance

It really was remarkable how quickly young forwards were able to make their impact on the NHL this season. Sure, we suspected Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel would be really good but they weren’t alone. Dylan Larkin may be the single biggest reason the Red Wings make the playoffs. If they make the playoffs.

The Coyotes may end up with twin 20-goal seasons from Max Domi and Anthony Duclair. Sam Reinhart found his shot and Robby Fabbri found time on a Stanley Cup contender. It’s almost become a competitive disadvantage if you don’t have a speedy teenager in your lineup right now.

It’s part of what makes the Auston Matthews anticipation so high. Not only will he be a franchise centerman at some point, he’s going to impact a team the moment he steps on the ice in training camp. That’s certainly the belief of his coach in Switzerland, Marc Crawford, a guy who knows a thing or two about winning in the NHL.

“I really believe his talent will translate immediately,” Crawford said via e-mail. “I believe he will have immediate impact, and by that I mean he will be a top-six forward at the start.”

The way Crawford sees it playing out is a strong start for Matthews and then a period of time in which NHL defenses will begin to figure him out. We’ve seen it happen with the best players. He estimates that will happen about 20 to 30 games into his NHL career, after which Matthews will enter an adjustment period phase that could extend to about 20 games.

Once Matthews makes those adjustments, look out.

“I truly feel that after this adjustment period, he will take off and the sky is the limit for him in the last 40 percent of the season,” Crawford said.

If Crawford were to handpick wingers for the talented American center, he’d find a savvy, skilled, nurturing veteran on one wing and a power net driving winger who is strong on puck retrieval on the other side.

Matthews would play immediately on Crawford’s NHL power play.

“He will play as a PP guy right away either in the middle of the 1-3-1 or on the half boards,” Crawford said. “His play defensively without the puck will be the growth area for his game.”

So which of the lottery teams become the most dangerous immediately with Matthews playing these roles next year? Here’s a look at all 14:

1. Montreal Canadiens

Chance at landing No. 1 pick: Six percent (all percentages via tankathon.com)

Are they a playoff team next year with Matthews? Yes

How Matthews fits in: He’d be a part of a young duo of American centers (with Alex Galchenyuk) who would provide a dynamic offensive attack for coach Michel Therrien, assuming he’s still the coach. The growth of Galchenyuk down the stretch this season combined with the addition of Matthews would address the biggest area of need that prevented the Canadiens from being a legit Stanley Cup contender. With a healthy Carey Price, they’d be back among the East's elite.

2. Boston Bruins

Chance at landing No. 1 pick: One percent

How Matthews fits in: He’d be the best third-line center in the NHL. It’s a long shot, but man, would this be great for Boston. Factor in the possible signing of Jimmy Vesey, and the Bruins would be right back among the favorites.

3. Colorado Avalanche

Chance at landing No. 1 pick: 2.5 percent

How Matthews fits in: The Avalanche are working their way into pre-Peter Chiarelli Oilers territory, where you almost don’t trust those running the show with another high-end young talent. The addition of Matthews would free Joe Sakic up to trade Matt Duchene, which I suspect they’ll do anyways this offseason. If Duchene nets a legit top-pair defenseman in return, which he should, the Avalanche would be stacked down the middle, with Nathan MacKinnon, Matthews and Carl Soderberg. They’d have an improved defense. They’d have a strong goalie.

They’d also be completely out of excuses for missing the playoffs in that scenario.

4. Winnipeg Jets

Chance at landing No. 1 pick: 7.5 percent

How Matthews fits in: The Jets would be an absolute threat with Matthews anchoring the middle for the next decade. For as much good, young talent GM Kevin Cheveldayoff is stockpiling in Winnipeg, there is a big hole in the "franchise centerman" department. Now, with Matthews, you’d have a trio of Matthews, Mark Scheifele and Bryan Little down the middle. That’s great.

The defense with Dustin Byfuglien, Tyler Myers, Jacob Trouba and Tobias Enstrom is solid. There are talented goalies in the organization and plenty of skilled wingers to play with that trio of centers. A lottery win this year would be a game-changer for the Jets.

5. Calgary Flames

Chance at landing No. 1 pick: 9.5 percent

Are they a playoff team next year with Matthews? Yes. Assuming GM Brad Treliving fills the need in goal.

How Matthews fits in: As good as Sean Monahan is, in the Western Conference, he’d be ideally suited as a No. 2 center on a really good team. Matthews and Monahan would give the Flames that two-pronged attack to take on all the other great centers out West. Calgary has the defense. It has the star winger in Johnny Gaudreau. It desperately needs help in goal and some more depth at forward, but a lottery win sets them up nicely for the next several years.

6. Columbus Blue Jackets

Chance at landing No. 1 pick: 11.5 percent

Are they a playoff team next year with Matthews? Yes.

How Matthews fits in: We were wrong about the Blue Jackets this season. No doubt about it. With a return to health and the addition of Brandon Saad, this looked like a playoff team. It wasn’t.

But plug in Matthews and the pain of this season is completely worth it. It also validates (or redeems) the decision to trade Ryan Johansen for Seth Jones. With Matthews, you have the center needed to win championships, a young power forward in Saad and a defense that will be built around Seth Jones, Ryan Murray and Zach Werenski. Yes, there are also bad contracts on the books, but that young core makes that all much easier to deal with.

7. Edmonton Oilers

Chance at landing No. 1 pick: 20 percent

Are they a playoff team next year with Matthews? Yes. Stop laughing.

How Matthews fits in: First of all, he’d be an embarrassment of riches. No really, if you’re the Oilers, there would be some embarrassment in picking first once again. But it would only last until GM Peter Chiarelli realizes that he has four centers under 22 years old, in Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Leon Draisaitl, Connor McDavid and Matthews.

The Oilers would also be one of the few teams that could at least entertain moving the pick to the highest bidder, but the better move would be to do what we think the Oilers will do anyways -- keep the pick and trade one of their other former No. 1 overall picks. Nail Yakupov is all but gone. Let’s say the Ducks are willing to move Hampus Lindholm for Taylor Hall, doesn’t Chiarelli have to do it? This isn’t a knock on Hall, who is a great player, but in terms of need and position scarcity, Lindholm is a much better fit.

Now, you’ve got a defense in Edmonton with Lindholm (or his equivalent), Andrej Sekera, Darnell Nurse and Brandon Davidson. You’re not throwing parades yet, but it’s a major step up. Factor in the loaded forward group and, if healthy, the playoffs would suddenly be very realistic.

8. Buffalo Sabres

Chance at landing No. 1 pick: Five percent

How Matthews fits in: Dan Bylsma could really shelter Matthews in his first season, with Ryan O'Reilly getting tough minutes along with Jack Eichel, opening up an easier transition to the NHL for Matthews. The Sabres would be absolutely loaded down the middle, and with GM Tim Murray expected to be aggressive this offseason to add veterans into the lineup, the playoffs would be the next expected step.

9. Carolina Hurricanes

Chance at landing No. 1 pick: Two percent.

How Matthews fits in: He becomes their young franchise forward to go with the fantastic skilled, young defense that Ron Francis is building. He’d have a fantastic mentor in Jordan Staal available to help round out the areas of his game that need work.

10. Arizona Coyotes

Chance at landing No. 1 pick: 6.5 percent

Are they a playoff team next year with Matthews? No.

How Matthews fits in: The Coyotes would officially have the building blocks needed to become a legitimate contender in the West with Matthews at center, Oliver Ekman-Larsson on defense and the slew of talented young forwards the organization is developing. They’d be great, but it’s hard to project them as a playoff team without upgrades on defense.

11. New Jersey Devils

Chance at landing No. 1 pick: Three percent

How Matthews fits in: There’s still a transition going on in New Jersey under Ray Shero and the addition of Matthews would go a long way in speeding it up. But they’re still early on in the process.

12. Ottawa Senators

Chance at landing No. 1 pick: 3.5 percent

How Matthews fits in: Erik Karlsson anchoring the defense and Matthews up front would give the Senators two stars at the two most important positions. Fellow American Bobby Ryan is the perfect veteran to put on Matthews’ wing. It’s just hard to project this team as a playoff team in Matthews' rookie season, because of a lack of faith in ownership to provide the resources to surround him with enough veteran depth.

13. Toronto Maple Leafs

Chance at landing No. 1 pick: 13.5 percent

Are they a playoff team next year with Matthews? No. But they’re closer than most might think.

How Matthews fits in: A dozen players have made their NHL debuts this season for the Maple Leafs, a team that is suddenly really, really young. Plugging in Matthews as the franchise centerman doesn’t make them a contender, but it completely validates their rebuilding plan and timeline. For a stripped-down rebuild to work, there needs to be a little luck involved. Like timing it up with a franchise center at the top of the draft. There’s a big difference between landing Nail Yakupov or John Tavares with the No. 1 pick when you finally get it.

Matthews gets the Maple Leafs the franchise center you need to win a Stanley Cup, and slots in all the rest of the prospects into the right positions organizationally.

14. Vancouver Canucks

Chance at landing No. 1 pick: 8.5 percent

How Matthews fits in: He would accept the baton from Henrik Sedin as the great Canucks center, and could learn a thing or two from the Sedins, completely justifying the decision to keep them around for the rebuild. Vancouver would be set up nicely behind Henrik Sedin with young centers Matthews, Bo Horvat and Brandon Sutter. The hardest part of rebuilding a team would be done.

Now, GM Jim Benning would have to turn his attention to rebuilding an aging defense. The good news is that you can find high-end young defensemen without picking first. It’s much harder to find true franchise centers anywhere else in the draft.

As you'd expect, the teams that narrowly miss the playoffs would be the most immediately dangerous with Matthews next year. But a few bottom tier teams there that would make a big jump next year with a franchise center.... the draft lottery is going to be nerve wracking shit.

Chris R

I'd love to see the Avs win the lottery, but even with a #1 pick I don't think the team is playoff material without some MAJOR changes and not just to the current roster.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I'd love to see the Avs win the lottery, but even with a #1 pick I don't think the team is playoff material without some MAJOR changes and not just to the current roster.
I wouldn't mind if the Avs won it. Western team not in the East and it's not fucking Crapmondump. However, I'm not so sure Roy will utilize that roster correctly...definitely a problem with the coach having that much safety.

I find it hilarious that outsiders think finding a #1 D will solve our defensive problems and make us a contender. That's just the tip of the iceberg. Bigras and Zadorov have a long way to go. Redmond is shit, Holden is average but capable of being shit. All getting a 1D does is push Redmond out of the picture at best.

Not to mention, outside of our d lineup, the vast majority of our problems come from coaching. Our PP is garbage, our system overall is garbage and Roy has only reinforced how he blames the players through out the year. So unless we get a 1D that is capable of coaching offense, defense and special teams we're not a playoff team. We'd only ever make it if the central continues to be average.

Canucks have an aging defence? They have one defenceman over 30 (Hamhuis). Replace the word "aging" with "mediocre after Tanev-Edler" and you'd be right, though.

With Matthews they could sign a top-6 winger and be a borderline playoff team next year.

Lindholm for Hall makes a lot of sense, but I wonder if the Ducks would give up arguably their best young defenceman when they don't have a true number 1.

yyzjohn

Banned
7. Edmonton Oilers

Chance at landing No. 1 pick: 20 percent

Are they a playoff team next year with Matthews? Yes. Stop laughing.

How Matthews fits in: First of all, he’d be an embarrassment of riches. No really, if you’re the Oilers, there would be some embarrassment in picking first once again. But it would only last until GM Peter Chiarelli realizes that he has four centers under 22 years old, in Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Leon Draisaitl, Connor McDavid and Matthews.

The Oilers would also be one of the few teams that could at least entertain moving the pick to the highest bidder, but the better move would be to do what we think the Oilers will do anyways -- keep the pick and trade one of their other former No. 1 overall picks. Nail Yakupov is all but gone. Let’s say the Ducks are willing to move Hampus Lindholm for Taylor Hall, doesn’t Chiarelli have to do it? This isn’t a knock on Hall, who is a great player, but in terms of need and position scarcity, Lindholm is a much better fit.

Now, you’ve got a defense in Edmonton with Lindholm (or his equivalent), Andrej Sekera, Darnell Nurse and Brandon Davidson. You’re not throwing parades yet, but it’s a major step up. Factor in the loaded forward group and, if healthy, the playoffs would suddenly be very realistic.

Last summer said:
With the acquisition of a potential number one goaltender, a top pairing defenseman as well as depth forwards up front, the Oilers are poised to be a much stronger team all around, however the teams core does remain exceptionally young.

Of course, a question such as this is highly debatable, however it is virtually guaranteed that, thanks in part to the many roster changes made by GM Peter Chiarelli, the 2015-16 Oilers will be a significantly improved and more competitive team this season.

http://thehockeywriters.com/are-the-edmonton-oilers-a-playoff-team-2/

"Significantly improved", let see:

2014-2015: 62 points
2015-2016: 67 points*

*-and counting!

Yep.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
"Significantly improved", let see:

2014-2015: 62 points
2015-2016: 67 points*

*-and counting!

Yep.
Following in Quick's vein

They're moving to a new building next season and should have a healthy McDavid along with any new pieces in the off season.

They just need another high draft pick to finish their rebuild.

baaaaaarffff

Parch

That's some pretty high praise for Matthews, but I heard some really high praise for Yakupov too. I think he's capable of having an impact, but let's not go nuts here. Expecting him to immediately be a franchise player is some lofty expectations. Every #1 isn't going to be a McDavid.

Socreges

Banned
That's some pretty high praise for Matthews, but I heard some really high praise for Yakupov too. I think he's capable of having an impact, but let's not go nuts here. Expecting him to immediately be a franchise player is some lofty expectations. Every #1 isn't going to be a McDavid.
Doesn't say that.

Matthews has played, and played very well, against men in Europe.

To your point, not every #1 is either a McDavid or a Yakupov. Matthews will be more like Eichel or MacKinnon, I'd guess, both of which had an immediate impact.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Avs need Giguere to come back and rip them apart again after the season is done

Are the Avs seriously considering trading Duchene? What do you Avs want for him? I would mind a type of deal that maybe we send Plekanec the other way

Thats what everyone outside of this team wants to believe. Is Roy dumb enough to do it? Yes. Will Sakic let him? Remains to be seen.

Let's hope we can fool Saint Pat and trade him Plekanec for Duchene. But I know you guys would want something else with it so... Would you guys be interested in Andrighetto or Carr or something like that?

Red_Man

Let's hope we can fool Saint Pat and trade him Plekanec for Duchene. But I know you guys would want something else with it so... Would you guys be interested in Andrighetto or Carr or something like that?
We've lacked terrible trade proposals since you've been banned. The asking price for Duchene would probably start with Galchenyuk.

We've lacked terrible trade proposals since you've been banned. The asking price for Duchene would probably start with Galchenyuk.

If Galchenyuk is on the Block. Then McKinnon should be available. Which will never happen.

I just want Plekanec gone and I never have to see him in a Habs jersey ever again. If you think Pacioretty is bad at ghosting, he's worst. The dude never ever shows up in the playoffs.

zroid

Banned
If Galchenyuk is on the Block. Then McKinnon should be available. Which will never happen.

I just want Plekanec gone and I never have to see him in a Habs jersey ever again. If you think Pacioretty is bad at ghosting, he's worst. The dude never ever shows up in the playoffs.
I love you man.

Red_Man

I get it, but he's 33 and starting to decline, and going to make $6 M next season, he's not fetching anything more then average picks / prospects. They should have moved him last season or the season before, his return now wouldn't be worth moving him. As long as AGally stays at that #1 C, Pleks is a great #2 shutdown guy.

I get it, but he's 33 and starting to decline, and going to make $6 M next season, he's not fetching anything more then average picks / prospects. They should have moved him last season or the season before, his return now wouldn't be worth moving him. As long as AGally stays at that #1 C, Pleks is a great #2 shutdown guy.

Sure if we're going to keep Plekanec. I think he needs some line mates for the 2nd line. I think Carr will be his RW. LW will be a free agent or trade or DD or Lehkonen.

Anyway I'm going to give my fantasy team for next year's Roster. This is purely fictional and probably won't happen.

Here it goes:

Pacioretty Galchenyuk Gallagher
Hoffman Plekanec Carr(or Laine)
Eller Danault Andrighetto
Lessio Mitchell Flynn

Markov Subban

Beaulieu Petry

Barberio Pateryn.

Price
Condo

Red_Man

Projecting lineups for next season is pointless, Eller, Plekanec, and Desharnais won't all be on the team, not to mention we'll haveabout 347 guys competing for the bottom 6 spots at camp. Bergevin will need to get at least 1 if not 2 top 6 wingers through either FA or trades (Eller gone most likely), and then try and move Emelin if possible. Condon will battle with Lindgren for back up. The only thing that we should know for sure is Patches - AGally - BGally be our top line opening night, but if Therrien is still coaching, who knows.

Socreges

Banned

You're not doing a very good job of selling 19&21 on Plekanec. Keep this up and the trade may not happen.

Quick

Banned
The only lineup the Leafs will need next season:

Dylan-Dylan-Dylan

Dylan-Dylan

Dylan

Cause he spits hot fiyah

Top Bottom