• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nicolas Cage in talks to star in new film adaptation of Left Behind books

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118061012

Nicolas Cage is in negotiations to topline "Left Behind," a mainstream reboot of the Christian-themed movie trilogy that will mark the first film from Stoney Lake Entertainment, a new production company led by Paul Lalonde of faith-oriented banner Cloud Ten Pictures.

The "Left Behind" franchise is based on the series of books written by Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins that have sold more than 65 million copies worldwide.

Lalonde will produce the action thriller with Michael Walker, and co-write the script with John Patus, who wrote 2005's "Left Behind: World at War."

The project, budgeted in the $15 million range, was shopped at last year's American Film Market. Production is expected to begin in early spring with an eye toward wide release in the fourth quarter of 2013. Lalonde told Variety that there is a theatrical guarantee in place from distributor Samuel Goldwyn Films.

The Christian-themed "Left Behind" reboot will follow a group of survivors during the first few hours after the Rapture.

The original trilogy, which launched in 2001, starred Kirk Cameron.

The faith-based film market continues to prove itself profitable Stateside, with Sony having the greatest success thanks to "Courageous," a $2 million pic that grossed $34 million domestically and "Soul Surfer," which took in $43 million in the U.S.

Cage, who recently signed on to topline Richard Kelly's true-crime thriller "Amicus," previously starred in Alex Proyas's "Knowing," which also featured religious themes. Thesp, who will next be seen opposite John Cusack in Emmett/Furla Films' serial-killer thriller "Frozen Ground," is attached to star in two other indie pics: William Friedkin's "I Am Wrath" and David Gordon Green's "Joe."

Interfectum

tumblr_m0ydtiR1Ho1qlkzh5.gif

Protein

Banned
I hope it's Rated R, has grotesque demons in it, ACTUALLY GOOD, and basically Doom 2 the movie. It will be none of these.

The project, budgeted in the $15 million range

Confirmed.

Protein

Banned
In that same book ("Glorious Appearing")
Jesus
merely speaks and the bodies of his enemies are ripped open, forcing the Christians to drive carefully to avoid "hitting splayed and filleted bodies of men and women and horses.

Pctx

Banned
I knew he was a Christian... I mean just look at the Face Off gif that was posted, he was practically a priest!

I didn't know Sony had a film company dedicated to making films targeted at Evangelicals...those fuckers have their fingers in every pie.

Protein

Banned
I've never even read the books. This movie will be so bad that I hope we get some more Nicolas-Cage-in-bear-suit-punching-woman.gifs

AlexMogil

Maybe they could tie the sequels all together with Starship Troopers III, Left Behind II, Atlas Shrugged II, and oh, I dunno... Jaws 6?

Hari Seldon

I've never even read the books. This movie will be so bad that I hope we get some more Nicolas-Cage-in-bear-suit-punching-woman.gifs

Books are about Twilight level of quality.

They need to pick a different Christian book. Nick Cage staring in Screwtape Letters.

Edit: God damn they are already making a Screwtape Letters movie apparently. Should just get Nick Cage in that! (Or Mel Gibson, he would be a fucking awesome insane Demon)

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I once read an in-depth analysis of the first few Left Behind books by a blog critic who held his nose long enough to read like 4 of them.

His conclusion: the storytelling was hilarious in logic and character motivations, the characters were utterly unbelievable and made Atlas Shrugged seem like the most naturalistic and honest take on the human condition, etc.

Mostly he was disturbed by how, he claimed, every character who was one of the "good guys" left behind by God during the years of tribulation, where by the lights of real people, cold sociopaths and fundamentalist Christian hero figures. Essentially, the entire thing was fanfic for fundamentalists who imagined that all those gays, scientists, liberals, and commies were gonna finally get theirs.

So yeah basically it sounds like Atlas Shrugged for north american right wing christians.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom