• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Nintendo Direct" announcement: New Super Mario Bros 2 DLC [¥200 for pack of 3 maps]

RagnarokX

40 dollars/ 74 levels = .54 cents per level. 2 dollars/ 3 levels = 66 cents per level

The DLC is 12 cents more per level or about 18 percent more per level.

The new content looks awesome, crying over what amounts to 12 cents extra per level, is silly to cry over, and is a stupid way of looking at DLC in the first place.
Dude, you have no idea what you are talking about. it's 40 dollars/85 levels = 47 cents per level. 2 dollars/3 levels = 66 cents per level. That's 19 cents; a penny away from two whole dimes! That's 7 cents more than DarkPanda thought!

DarkPanda

You refuse to support DLC of any kind?

...What? WHY

Because I'm a luddite who believes that gaming should stay as it was during the NES - PS2 era. You buy a game, put it in your console, it plays and you get 100% of the content that the developers could think of. I believe, wrongly or not, that most DLC is made of content purposely cut and re-packaged as DCL. I know this isn't the case for certain games (Guitar Hero and this thread's topic NSMB2 are examples), but by not buying DLC I voice my opinion that that companies should either a) give me the same amount of content that they did 10 years ago, and/or b) save up their extra ideas and make Game Part 2, again like they did 10 years ago (or less, see Mario Galaxy 2).

NSMB2 has 85 levels, not counting rainbow levels.

You're making a pretty big deal over $0.20.

1) It's the principal of the thing, and 2) with all the debate going on in this thread I figured I'd provide an actual monetary breakdown to show people exactly what they're paying for. If you think the levels are worth it, great! Buy them all you want! If you think they're over-priced, here's some math to prove it. As for myself, I think the levels are overpriced, but the main reason I won't be buying them is because I don't care about coin rush. I treat all Mario games like Mario 3. I play through them once and that's it. Even with 3D Land I didn't care about beating times. In my view score attack/time rush/coin rush/ect modes are pointless and I never touch them.

And speaking of math, if 85 levels are correct, then that works out to $0.47 per level for the retail game. This is a 40% increase over the price per level of the base retail game. Again, decide for yourself if you feel the price is worth it.

pramath

Banned
This may seem like a trivial announcement , but it may represent something much bigger to gamers.

Nintendo is notorious for their droughts, this could open the door for them to provide us content year round as opposed to waiting half a year between titles.

Say while you're waiting for Retro's Kid Icarus, Nintendo gives us some sweet new Mario Universe levels, or characters for SSBU... how about a Majora expansion pack to the next Zelda.

Think big kiddo's.

This may be the end the Nintendroughts.

Daschysta

Because I'm a luddite who believes that gaming should stay as it was during the NES - PS2 era. You buy a game, put it in your console, it plays and you get 100% of the content that the developers could think of. I believe, wrongly or not, that most DLC is made of content purposely cut and re-packaged as DCL. I know this isn't the case for certain games (Guitar Hero and this thread's topic NSMB2 are examples), but by not buying DLC I voice my opinion that that companies should either a) give me the same amount of content that they did 10 years ago, and/or b) save up their extra ideas and make Game Part 2, again like they did 10 years ago (or less, see Mario Galaxy 2).

1) It's the principal of the thing, and 2) with all the debate going on in this thread I figured I'd provide an actual monetary breakdown to show people exactly what they're paying for. If you think the levels are worth it, great! Buy them all you want! If you think they're over-priced, here's some math to prove it. As for myself, I think the levels are overpriced, but the main reason I won't be buying them is because I don't care about coin rush. I treat all Mario games like Mario 3. I play through them once and that's it. Even with 3D Land I didn't care about beating times. In my view score attack/time rush/coin rush/ect modes are pointless and I never touch them.

And speaking of math, if 85 levels are correct, then that works out to $0.47 per level for the retail game. This is a 40% increase over the price per level of the base retail game. Again, decide for yourself if you feel the price is worth it.

85 levels in a Mario game isn't "giving you what they would have 10 years ago?

Hero

So many people support shitty DLC that's cut content from the game and/or overpriced, it's somewhat surprising to see the backlash. I'll wait and see how the levels are. 2 bucks for 3 levels is pretty reasonable. Note that I don't even own NSMB 2 yet but I'll look into it if/when I get it.

I also support the notion that considering all the slow periods DLC is a great way to support players who really enjoy the games at a reasonable cost if done well.

Socreges

Banned
Coin Rush is garbage. Too bad that these levels are just for coin rush, and even seem to be designed around the concept.

That said, good for all the people that dig that mode. $2 for 3 levels is a bit too expensive, but somehow its less than I expected.

Coin Rush is garbage. Too bad that these levels are just for coin rush, and even seem to be designed around the concept.
No, you're garbage!

Seriously though, coin rush is the best pleasant surprise for me this year. The level design is good in and of itself as you play through the regular mode, but coin rush reveals a layer of depth that's not immediately apparent when you're playing through normally. I definitely thought the coin thing was just a gimmick pasted over yet another NSMB game, but the speed running element is really well done and adds waaaay more replay value than the previous 2 games imo.

Nibel

So many pathetic posts from the usual suspects

But yeah, fuck Nintendo :lol
2$ for 3 levels? Do I look like Oprah

Stewox

Banned
I want to stay to the terms of Add-on or whatever.

I don't like painting DLC on everything that's similar, because the term DLC has been heavily associated with X360/PS3 crappy "on-disc 3-skins for 15$" kind of content.

So I don't want the terms to go jump over a very different philosophy, nintendo knows how failed achivement system is, steam as well, so they didn't want to associate with it, that's why they have their own terms, tho any 3rd party developer can put shitchivements in because there's no certification that I know of or at least they didn't said, but nintendo them selfs thankfully won't do such stupidity such as "beat this boss to get blablabla-achievement" "go through this door to get stupid sticker icon"

The whole idea of the wording "achivement unlocked" is bizzare, i don't know who the hell designed this, but it was from X360 and i don't think MS has any gaming talent whatsoever. Why on earth unlocked, you unlocked a prize or something you get for reward not the achivement it self, it's so weird, childish and I think in my opinion POS. Because I really would need to be 14 years old to care about some imaginary things doing some ridicolous stuff anyone can do.

So I started to hate the terms, these terms such as achivements and DLC have been overused oversaturated with POS, just like modern warfail.

True Achievements should be hidden, without any ridicolous list of description how to unlock, just maybe a list of

If you don't freaking reveal them there would be no stupid leaks a month before release, the whole idea of achivements is so airheadedly failed, It's like I don't care about them but it's something so stupid something so bizzare that ever happend to gaming so I keep hating it and It just won't get out of my head, there is absolutely no denial that certain consoles and through spawned likeness have negatively impacted the health of gaming heritage, legacy and quality as a whole, it's the biggest spoil system ever, tons of newcomers being spoiled on some BS which makes games worth much less, so games aren't about the quality, they are about the all the other crap around the game, you can see every other steam fanboy whining about how he loves steam just because it has chatroom and achivements oh so important. bleh - for those people who are online and live on the internet 24/7 ofcourse this is important, I just am disgusted at the communities, more than half of them are 15 year old kids who have all the time in the world so kudos to them for lowering the bar of quality every day, just because of stupid FEATUREZ everything else has to suffer?

This is one of those topics I am upset about so excuse my use of words.

---------------
So it still costs money, I know I won't be successfull, but in my case i would call it someting else than DLC, because you will have many stuff, and if a new map comes out every week will people start callign "oh I have DLC235 and he has DLC198"

LOL im laughing my behind off

People are screaming about 19 cents...

Yeah but the yearly COD and thousands of DLC every year is okay but when Nintendo chages 19 cent more per level its armageddon!

Oh my god, LOL!

I think the prices are OK, sry, i got to whipe my tears from too much laughing @ 1st page !!

wow....

Yeah... not interested, at all.

I just hope future Zeldas won't have DLC dungeons or something like that. I want my games complete since launch day, and leave good new ideas for proper sequels with enough content to make another full, physical game.

Maybe I'm too old-fashioned, but nothing I've seen this generation has made me change my mind.

I just hope future Zeldas won't have DLC dungeons or something like that. I want my games complete since launch day, and leave good new ideas for proper sequels with enough content to make another full, physical game.

Maybe I'm too old-fashioned, but nothing I've seen this generation has made me change my mind.

this... I too, can't help but dislike the entire notion of DLC even if there are better and worse offenders of course..

Some people in this thread are idiots.
We knew about this before release and arguing over the price is pathetic; its pennies.

A lot of the people complaining don't seem to have NSMB2 so am not really sure their issue.
Levels look cool to me.

If these are good, I might pick up NSMB2 just to get in on the DLC packs :)

I'm with you, brother.

The lack of DLC was one of the things I thought was in favor of the Wii this generation (even though it may have been due simply to technological constraints)

Nintendo disappoints me.

Velcro Fly

How much is $6? I mean really come on. Isn't the minimum wage in America more than that? This isn't a $50 season pass where you might get all the DLC and the whole game experience. This is $6 for 9 levels that are strictly for people already interested in the game enough to be playing Coin Rush.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
You guys got hyped for this? Even I didn't get hyped for this...

About the Direct? Not at all, I was asleep when they announced it :D
So, I woke up this morning and find a little nice surprise.
Yes, I think that...

It didn't need it. Which is why I think its great to have.

neonarch is right.

I enjoyed my NSMB2 (I didn't LOVE it, but I liked it) and having the chance to purchase additional levels could be fun.

I'm not totally sure because I'll buy NSMB U and I don't want to exagerate with New Marios :p

But now, Nintendo: give us new MarioKart7 tracks via DLC, please.

Foffy

Banned

I'm sure if you started NSMB2 on launch day and finished it in August, you already had a completed game. This content has zero connection to the core adventure.

Seriously, people are up in arms over score attack levels..?

2 bucks seems like a fair price and is definetly impulse buy territory for me.

I could see the outrage justified if Nintendo would adopt scams like online passes, season passes that cost almost as much as the game (forza horizon comes to mind) while delivering only marginal content additions.

Too bad I'm not a huge fan of 2D Mario, but it's a nice option for people who want more.

I'm sure if you started NSMB2 on launch day and finished it in August, you already had a completed game. This content has zero connection to the core adventure.

Seriously, people are up in arms over score attack levels..?

It seems a tradition here on GAF to shit on DLC out of principle. Of course you'll also have the usual people hating due to publisher, just like me with EA.

Foffy

Banned
It seems a tradition here on GAF to shit on DLC out of principle. Of course you'll also have the usual people hating due to publisher, just like me with EA.

I can even buy the publisher thing, as those companies have precedent for ripping off consumers. This is the SECOND game Nintendo has had DLC for, and people are absolutely livid for not a single good reason. It's bewildering.

Okay I just woke up and I don't understand the outrage here.
- There was a surprise Nintendo direct that crept out of nowhere
- The big announcement was the DLC stages for NSMB2 that we'd already been told would happen?
- People are falling over themselves to complain about a combination of crushed hype, DLC and prices?
Am I in the ballpark here?

Varth

This may seem like a trivial announcement , but it may represent something much bigger to gamers.

Nintendo is notorious for their droughts, this could open the door for them to provide us content year round as opposed to waiting half a year between titles.

Say while you're waiting for Retro's Kid Icarus, Nintendo gives us some sweet new Mario Universe levels, or characters for SSBU... how about a Majora expansion pack to the next Zelda.

Think big kiddo's.

This may be the end the Nintendroughts.

Welcome, oh Nintendo gamer, to the gaming world, circa beginning of this gen.

Everybody was hoping that DLC and episodic content would end up as a saving grace for gamers at the time. Take a look a how it turned out and gaze upon thy future.

Welcome, oh Nintendo gamer, to the gaming world, circa beginning of this gen.

Everybody was hoping that DLC and episodic content would end up as a saving grace for gamers at the time. Take a look a how it turned out and gaze upon thy future.

Nintendo isn't doing achievements in every game, my hope is their not going to do DLC in every game. Just the ones that they feel it can be applied to.

'my hope'

Am still sad episodic died though :(

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
3 NSMB2 levels can be usually completed in less than 10 minutes unless you die a lot. Personally I have a hard time spending any money on entertainment that lasts less then 10 minutes.

Ironically if it were 10 dollars for 15 levels, I'd be more interested as 50 minutes of gametime seem more substancial than 10. It also helps that there'd be more opertunity for me to get stuck and prolong that time.

Now if you were the type to play the levels over and over again, or if you look at 2 dollars and see it as basically 0 dollars, I would see the appeal, but for me its a hard sell.

Okay I just woke up and I don't understand the outrage here.
- There was a surprise Nintendo direct that crept out of nowhere
- The big announcement was the DLC stages for NSMB2 that we'd already been told would happen?
- People are falling over themselves to complain about a combination of crushed hype, DLC and prices?
Am I in the ballpark here?

Think about how hard you must've worked to earn 2 dollars.

Nintendo is wanting to take this hard earned money away from you.

How are you not outraged?

ffdgh

3 NSMB2 levels can be usually completed in less than 10 minutes unless you die a lot. Personally I have a hard time spending any money on entertainment that lasts less then 10 minutes.

Ironically if it were 10 dollars for 15 levels, I'd be more interested as 50 minutes of gametime seem more substancial than 10. It also helps that there'd be more opertunity for me to get stuck and prolong that time.

Now if you were the type to play the levels over and over again, or if you look at 2 dollars and see it as basically 0 dollars, I would see the appeal, but for me its a hard sell.

Hmm technically if they were to release 2 more stage packs, The value would be 10 bucks for 15 stages.

Top Bottom