• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Nintendo Direct" announcement: New Super Mario Bros 2 DLC [¥200 for pack of 3 maps]

On iOS many games have gone free and charge players a couple bucks for what literally amounts to data values like experience or in-game money.

I think there are also many games with more content for two dollars. However, your points are definitely fair. We're not at Capcom levels, and I hope we never get there.

Every single time Iwata mentions DLC he talks about how they want their approach to differ from other companies by not removing or locking off content so that they can charge extra later, and by not working on DLC until the game itself is done. With NSMB2 in particular they did Club Nintendo surveys after launch to determine what sorts of DLC people wanted and then went from there, so the DLC is a direct response to peoples' requests (ie extra-tough levels, levels suited for coin grinding, leaderboards).

Would you expect him not to say that?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I don't understand some of the outrage at the start of the thread? We already knew this was coming.

People already think every single Nintendo Direct is going to have some big megaton? lol.
It was the way this one was announced. First no info, then a time, then 3DS specific, then NSMB2 DLC. All of that happened within 3 hours.

Roo

A shame it doesn't appear they put the hooks in for things like that. $2
Or even $5 for me
for 3 new Mario Kart tracks. No one would be complaining. :p

they'll come for Wii U, just wait
after the patch I think Nintendo is done with Mario Kart 7

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Yep.

It would have to be entire Cups for me to be happy.

Yeah, I just put 3 out there for the reference to NSMB2 packs. They would definitely have to sell them in packs of 4, and given the time it takes to create tracks, I imagine they would be more in the $5 range at least.

Wouldn't it be great to get a new cup every four months though, alternating 'brand new' and remade retro cups.

So wait, the DLC can't be purchased from the eshop directly?

Was it the same way with Fire Emblem?

If so, that's just stupid. Would prefer to be able to purchase directly from the eshop.....

Fuzzy

Yeah, I just put 3 out there for the reference to NSMB2 packs. They would definitely have to sell them in packs of 4, and given the time it takes to create tracks, I imagine they would be more in the $5 range at least.

Wouldn't it be great to get a new cup every four months though, alternating 'brand new' and remade retro cups.
When Mario Kart Wii U is released I want a Double Rainbow Cup consisting of the previous 7 Rainbow Road courses plus a new one.

man, video games are weird these days

go back in time and tell a kid that in the future they can play a portable mario game and then pay ~$5-6 to magically summon 9 levels (or the equivalent of a new world) from the air itself and they'd think you were some kind of techno-wizard from space

Foffy

Banned
Every single time Iwata mentions DLC he talks about how they want their approach to differ from other companies by not removing or locking off content so that they can charge extra later, and by not working on DLC until the game itself is done. With NSMB2 in particular they did Club Nintendo surveys after launch to determine what sorts of DLC people wanted and then went from there, so the DLC is a direct response to peoples' requests (ie extra-tough levels, levels suited for coin grinding, leaderboards).

What was their philosophy for choosing what characters and maps to offer for Fire Emblem and to eventually announce a sequel series to the DLC? From my understanding, after the character/map DLC, they're now focused on making all new, difficult maps to conclude their efforts on the game.

jman2050

Yes, DLC has its merits. However, I think $2 for three levels is a bit too much. If those prices remain in the west, people may share the same opinions. The game prices on iOS have definitely altered the value of games for many people.

I haven't really come into contact with DLC pricing on other games, so I'm not sure how Nintendo's pricing compares to other companies'.

I appreciate that these are purely extra levels, but I still think they're a bit overpriced.

And you wonder why Nintendo wants to avoid the smartphone market...

olimpia84

I'm surprised they're only charging $2 for 3 levels. Hopefully they release new Mario kart tracks for cheap as well.

Fuzzy

Was there an American Nintendo direct today? The other thread indicating there was one for the US got closed
No, it was said it would most likely be a video put up some time tomorrow. Probably just an English version of this one with the NA price and date.

RagnarokX

man, video games are weird these days

go back in time and tell a kid that in the future they can play a portable mario game and then pay ~$5-6 to magically summon 9 levels (or the equivalent of a new world) from the air itself and they'd think you were some kind of techno-wizard from space

tell them now and they grab the pitchforks

Anteo

Great, I actually expected less stages for more price, $2 for a pack sounds good for me. Will buy all of them.

pramath

Banned
Wow fuck nintendo.

Damn You Nintendo! Damn You!

vader.jpg

@MUWANdo

Banned
What was their philosophy for choosing what characters and maps to offer for Fire Emblem and to eventually announce a sequel series to the DLC? From my understanding, after the character/map DLC, they're now focused on making all new, difficult maps to conclude their efforts on the game.

The second round of DLC was another response to fan requests--they wanted extra-difficult stages and more support conversations. I can't remember if the swimsuit thing was a request or just some weird, out-of-the-blue thing... it may have been a response to fans' reactions to the DLC character redesigns? I'll have to look it up.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Yep, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you could buy Theatrhythm DLC from the shop either.

Ridley327

IIRC, Nintendo doesn't allow for DLC for retail games to be sold on their various shop channels. They had the same policy in place for Wii, as well. I suspect the same will be in place for the Wii U, which is just as well, since virtually every game that has DLC hooks has some kind of in-game DLC store that you can browse.

Fuzzy

I think its finally time to boycott Nintendo!
I always thought it was funny that people were so upset about the Persona 4 Arena region-locking that they were calling for a boycott but almost nothing about the 3DS and Wii U.

noobasuar

Banned
NSMB 2 has fantastic level design. I'll happily pay $2 for a pack of three levels. Don't really see why there's so much hate other than people loving to hate on Nintendo for no reason.

Haha wow that's shitty (not just the announcement but the fact they had a whole Nintendo Direct about it.) I already got rid of that game so no thank you. Now if they were talking DLC for Super Mario3D Land, that'd be another matter altogether.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I think you can, or at least it's listed there. I don't own the game, but I saw a list of DLC on the eShop when I downloaded the demo.

I think you can see/manage it from the eShop once you've bought it, but not buy it directly (I don't own Theatrhythm so don't quote me on that).

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Yeah and they were an awful, customer abusing concept that thankfully they ditched.

Er, what aspect of the eReader cards was an "awful, customer abusing concept" with regards to the SMB3 levels?

I'll grant that the eReader was a fairly silly add-on, but the SMB3 cards gave you several new levels (new data encoded on the card, NOT unlocked) for about $4. I'm confused as to why you consider them to have been "customer abusing."

Portable Mario was kinda shit back in the day and paid extra content when wads and the like were free? No thanks.

Somnid

You can view add-on content in the shop but if you click on it it will launch the game which is where you buy it.

When Mario Kart Wii U is released I want a Double Rainbow Cup consisting of the previous 7 Rainbow Road courses plus a new one.

The Wii U version of Mario Kart, if the battle mode is free for all (required for actual fun, as I game in a group of three), could single-handedly smash through my reluctance to buy the Wii U and my utter distrust of DLC.

That said, I'm neither angry nor enraptured by this particular news. We expected it, the price is… not horrible but not great, and I guess it's okay that we're not playing two bucks for a cape or something similarly superficial. Nonetheless, New Super Mario Bros 2 should have come with a level editor and the ability to freely share created levels. :p

Erethian

It was the way this one was announced. First no info, then a time, then 3DS specific, then NSMB2 DLC. All of that happened within 3 hours.

It's almost like they're there to relay information on already released or upcoming games on Nintendo platforms.

A direct communication between Nintendo and the consumer, if you will.

Top Bottom