• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Well blow my warp whistle! Super Mario Bros. 3 turns 30 today (Oct.23rd)

How will you be celebrating this momentous video game today?
SMB3-InvincibleMarioSprite.gif

super-mario-bros-3-db-title-card-720x720.png

This is one of the few "perfect" games that maintains quality throughout the whole experience.
MarioPWingSMB3.gif

I love the shorter levels as compared to games like World or NSMB. Famicom had the better art, obviously.

220px-Super_Mario_Bros._3_coverart.png
14852_front.jpg

Airship.gif
The game is packed with all kinds of secrets that I missed as a kid (like getting all the coins on 1-4 to spawn a secret Toad Hut):

And of course, the raccoon tail (often mistakenly called "Tanooki Mario", which is a different suit) is what people remember the most:
super-leaf-raccoon-mario.gif

And who can forget the 2-player Versus mode pulled straight from the Mario Bros arcade game? Many an argument was fought over this mode.
Frog_Mario_SMB3.PNG

Awesome maps, too:

World2SMB3.PNG

SMAS-Big_Island_Map.PNG

700px-SMB36.PNG

Last edited:
Amazing to think this was released almost a year and a half later in North America. I put this up there with the Legend of Zelda as the 2 best games on the NES and 2 of the best games ever.

I would come home everyday from school and call Meijer, Sears, Toys R Us and Kmart asking if they received any copies in stock. I’m sure I annoyed the shit out of those employees. I think it took me a month to get a copy.

Amazing to think this was released almost a year and a half later in North America. I put this up there with the Legend of Zelda as the 2 best games on the NES and 2 of the best games ever.

Was there a reason given for why it took so long? I recall there had been issues with Zelda 2 at the time (as I read about that problem in Nintendo Power) but I don't remember anything said about Mario 3.

HotPocket69

Banned
Great thread. Best 2D Mario.

I was in 2nd grade when it released.

I’m old as fuck :messenger_pensive:

Remember the hype surrounding it thanks to The Wizard?

So good

got this with my brother for easter one year. I was 4 years old... it was an amazing time. this game gave me great memories. it's brilliant and so detailed

Last edited:

Akuza89

30 years! that is a lot of years.... I'm almost 30! its slightly older than me! jeez!

it's aged pretty damn well in my eyes... better than me anyway! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

theHFIC

so many memories of just trying to find this game in stores when I was 8 years old. Shout out to my mom for driving me from toy's 'r' us to k-mart to sears and then back to toys 'r' us again in an endless cycle until we got the game and played it the whole afternoon on like a 15 inch tube TV.

The commercial too on top of the hype from The Wizard (i think i only went to see it just to see the SMB3 footage).

edit: just realized this is the 30th anniversary of the Japanese release with the American release following up in 1990. So I guess I was 10 when being driven around lol. The memory is still the same and I will celebrate 30 years again in 2020.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
This game is all time GOAT. I remember seeing the commercial, it played before a movie, and it blew me away cos you never saw videogame trailers w movies

Will definitely play this today

By far still my favorite of the SMB series, I don't discount anything thats come out afterwards, Super Mario World, Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Galaxy 1 - 2, Super Mario 3D World and most recently Mario Odyssey. For me there was always just be a certain indescribable wow factor to Super Mario 3, Nintendo literally got everything right with this game the music, level variety, power ups, a timeless visual style and just the fun overall. Yes I know a part of it is nostalgia but theres just something about it that always puts a smile on my face. I also get excited to see games like Mario Odyssey include subtle throwbacks like the theme song for Toads Mushroom house into a few random mini games.

Grinchy

Banned
What a thread title to make a guy feel old as shit. We rented this game so many times that my parents probably spent twice the retail price on it.

Nymphae

Banned
One of the few NES games I played couch co-op with my Dad. He really liked the fact that it was back and forth turns for each level.

A real gaming masterpiece imo. Played it so many times that I can't go back and enjoy it much anymore, but it's a pretty incredible game.

120v

game was such a huge deal back in the day. that yellow box was like a holy relic in my neighborhood, any kid who had a copy had like 20 people over at their house. any store that got a shipment ran out of stock right away, it was fucking nuts

Last edited:

Codes 208

Still my favorite 2d mario (excluding Yoshis Island) And one of the few rare sequels I would argue which is better than the original

Although honestly i have very little experience with the og nes version. I first played this as part of the snes all-stars collection since that came out around the time I was a kid. And later the gba port. But still, the artstyle, music, powerups and playability made this such a treat.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
And no tribute to the Wizard? Come on we were all jizzing our little underoo's back then when the wall opened up and there was SMB3 in all its glory on the big screen (or little screen if you watched it 100 times on VHS). Not to mention giving us a huge "trick" to find the warp LOL.

I was 2 years old at that time, my first time experiencing that game was in 1994 on original NES, funny enough the super Mario show on tv got introduced to me before the game. In any case to super Mario bros 3 - your simply the best

Last edited:

Videospel

Still my favorite 2d mario (excluding Yoshis Island) And one of the few rare sequels I would argue which is better than the original

Is that really rare? For movies sure, but I can think of many video games where the sequels are better.

Btw, the fact that it was almost three years between the Japanese and the European release seems kind of crazy today...

lukilladog

I felt the urge to play it a month ago (first time ever) on my new tv, what an odd coincidence, cheated the whole thing on the brown raccoon suit (I just love that suit) :

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
One of my fondest childhood memories was faking sick in elementary school specifically so I could stay home and beat this game.

Did it for this and original Metroid :messenger_sunglasses:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i remember McDonald's had a happy meal promotion based on the game, i ended up getting one of those toys even tho i didn't have an NES

oh yeah, and The Wizard rules. it was during an era where every other kids show on tv was made to look like a videogame, that Video Armageddon set was so over the top and epic, i loved it.

cryptoadam

Banned
or the "power magazines" haley got him (my cousin's "theory" back in the day)

LOL.

90 minute add for Nintendo power, Nintendo hotline, Power glove, and SMB3. Its so odd, its a melodrama about a kid running away because his sister died. Just throw in some Nintendo advertisment and kids will line up for it.

amigastar

Another Miyamoto masterpiece. One of if not THE best Mario game but it's hard to say because there are so many good Mario games.

LOL.

90 minute add for Nintendo power, Nintendo hotline, Power glove, and SMB3. Its so odd, its a melodrama about a kid running away because his sister died. Just throw in some Nintendo advertisment and kids will line up for it.

The only reason I made my parents take me to that movie was solely because the poster had Nintendo shit on it. I had no idea what the movie was about otherwise. lol

The Mario 3 reveal got me 100%. I had zero clue there was a Mario 3 in Japan or that a 3rd Mario was even coming out. One of my big "Holy Shit" moments as a kid. Good times.

Obviously like everyone else I had to have it and it fully delivered and then some. Even now it's still in contention for the best Mario game, be it 2d or 3d.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Just beat it on NES online service. It holds up really well and it is one the best games on the NES. Colorful and charming, with lots of good platforming and secrets galore. But it´s not the best 2D Mario. World is better and perfected the formula. Can´t believe its 30 years ago it released.

Beat the game with warp pipes, however I could never get through world 7 or 6 before I lost all my lives.
Furthest I got was pipe world. Memories is at least 17 years old I but well got through it at least once.

cryptoadam

Banned
The only reason I made my parents take me to that movie was solely because the poster had Nintendo shit on it. I had no idea what the movie was about otherwise. lol

The Mario 3 reveal got me 100%. I had zero clue there was a Mario 3 in Japan or that a 3rd Mario was even coming out. One of my big "Holy Shit" moments as a kid. Good times.

Obviously like everyone else I had to have it and it fully delivered and then some. Even now it's still in contention for the best Mario game, be it 2d or 3d.

What about the Power Glove though? Who didn't want to be like Lucas with his case full of Nintendo games, and then the ultimate badassery when he pulls out his suitcase with the power glove. I can't imagine how many children, and parents were disappointed after they saw that movie and got the actual piece of crap glove LOL.

I just find the movie funny. Its this big melodrama and chase story, wrapped up in Nintendo adds. Take out the nintendo stuff and no kid would watch that movie for more than 5 minutes.

Bakkus

Wait, so the game had already been out in Japan for many months by the time it got it's 'big reveal' in The Wizard?

How will you be celebrating this momentous video game today?

Celebrating? Pff, screw you for making me feel old :messenger_winking_tongue:

I still remember pestering my grandmother about that game. I swear, that game was impossible to find where I live. We went looking for that game for what felt like an eternity, checking shop after shop without success. After a couple of days driving around the country to no avail, I was ready to give up hope. When we were ready to go home after checking some more shops until closing time, we finally stumbled upon a copy lying in the shop-window of an old electronics store that was mostly selling household items. For some unknown reason, they had a copy.

It was the most beautiful sight I've ever seen. Unfortunately, the shop was closed so my grandmother decided to go for a coffee at the patisserie right next to it. She asked the patisserie owner if she knew the person who owned the electronics store. Low and behold, she did. The patisserie owner gave him a phone call, asking if he could put the game aside for us. Lucky me, the owner didn't live far away from his electronics store and offered to come over right away.

On our way home, I still remember holding the game in my hands, staring at the cover, feeling right as rain. SMB3 will always have a special place in my heart, not only because it was an amazing game, but mostly because of that special moment that I had the fortune to share with my grandmother.

This one is for you grandma, you were simply the best!
(and thank you also for buying me Mortal Kombat, you were one badass grandma)

Last edited:
Celebrating? Pff, screw you for making me feel old :messenger_winking_tongue:

I still remember pestering my grandmother about that game. I swear, that game was impossible to find where I live. We went looking for that game for what felt like an eternity, checking shop after shop without success. After a couple of days driving around the country to no avail, I was ready to give up hope. When we were ready to go home after checking some more shops until closing time, we finally stumbled upon a copy lying in the shop-window of an old electronics store that was mostly selling household items. For some unknown reason, they had a copy.

It was the most beautiful sight I've ever seen. Unfortunately, the shop was closed so my grandmother decided to go for a coffee at the patisserie right next to it. She asked the patisserie owner if she knew the person who owned the electronics store. Low and behold, she did. The patisserie owner gave him a phone call, asking if he could put the game aside for us. Lucky me, the owner didn't live far away from his electronics store and offered to come over right away.

On our way home, I still remember holding the game in my hands, staring at the cover, feeling right as rain... thank you grandma, you were simply the best! SMB3 will always have a special place in my heart, not only because it was an amazing game, but mostly because of that special moment that I had the fortune to share with my grandmother.
That's quite a story. Thanks for sharing!

Based on quite a few posts here, it seems like a lot of us experienced scarcity when the game came out. That really isn't much of a thing nowadays, but it was certainly a concern back then. Riding my bike to the rental store -- hoping they had a copy of the game I wanted -- was a recurring thing in my childhood.

So, who here has actually beaten the game, either with Warp Whistles or all the way through?

NES and All-Stars.

What about the Power Glove though? Who didn't want to be like Lucas with his case full of Nintendo games, and then the ultimate badassery when he pulls out his suitcase with the power glove. I can't imagine how many children, and parents were disappointed after they saw that movie and got the actual piece of crap glove LOL.

They made the Power Glove look awesome though I don't recall ever wanting it. And def didn't wanna be like Lucas, he was the evil dickface. It's funny watching that scene now cause he totally sucks shit at Rad Racer.

I just find the movie funny. Its this big melodrama and chase story, wrapped up in Nintendo adds. Take out the nintendo stuff and no kid would watch that movie for more than 5 minutes.

Yeah it's a giant commercial for Nintendo and even Universal Studios but I can't fault them for hooking something resembling an actual movie onto their advertisement. lol

Raven117

Im ancient....btw, good drinking game.

Fire up MB3....play with your bros...when someone dies, take a big swig...rinse and repeat.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
So, who here has actually beaten the game, either with Warp Whistles or all the way through?

beat it every which way, on NES and SNES All-Stars.

usually i do the warp whistle route but it really pays off to play through all the areas. also to find Kuribo's Shoe! i love how this game has one special item that you can only get and use in one level, it's a bonus for playing through it all. reason 1 out of 1,000 why this game has masterful level design.

i like how the game is a vaudeville-style variety show. Mario really is in the lineage of Buster Keaton and the Marx Bros. and the music has always leaned on this and SMB2 has a lot of elements of it as well (and Donkey Kong's cutscenes). exploring a labyrinth of fake doors in a ghost house, braving canonfire while dashing across an airship, outrunning the sun itself in the desert (a very Bugs Bunny moment imo). Mario is like an early silent film action star.

the music in this game is incredible. Mario music is already amazing with Koji Kondo firing on all cylinders: ragtime jazz, game/quiz show music, electro breakdance music (the underworld theme GOAT w those drum samples). i learned how to play most of these songs on keyboard by following youtube tutorials. the warp whistle music is wonderful. it uses a motif from The Legend of Zelda and has this awesome Yma Sumac tribal exotica Shangri La thing going for it. this game is dreamy.

Last edited:
I still remember the first time I beat it. Its funny, I played it for years before then, including nearly all of world 8, but just never bothered to beat it. As a kid you were just so happy to be playing a game, plus you always played in such random spurts, I usually never had a "goal" of beating them. But one day I said you know what, I'm gonna do it, and I did. I can still remember being there in front of the TV as I fought Bowser... crazy how random things can stick with you for so long.

Top Bottom